Travel Bag not for cosmetics

familyofd

Can anyone recommend a travel bag that I can use, say from shampoo to tylenol, the current bag I have is overfilled and I am now carrying 2 bags, I dont want to carry 2 bags so I am looking for a better option, I have the hanging one also for door but not everything fits in that, im just lost on what

to use.

E bags has a flat bag, LLBean has some also. How big of a bag do you need?

Look at what you're taking. Can it be reduced/refined in any way? Don't need all the packaging or bottle. Don't take 8oz when 2oz will do.

Our stuff is divided between bathroom 'necessities', other toiletries and first aid.

Edited by SadieN

I too have separate bags for everything. I used to just use large zip-lock bags but then recently purchased some flat make-up bag sets (at the dollar store) and love them!

I typically have shower stuff (which is at high risk of leaking) in a zip lock bag. I then have a "washroom bag" with my toothbrush, paste, and anything else I need in the washroom (floss, deodorant, makeup remover wipes, q-tips, etc).

I then have a few separate bags for the room - one with jewelry, one with makeup and hair accessories, and one with the non-washroom toiletries and miscellaneous items (i.e. Moisturizer, sunscreen, bug spray, bandaids, extra hand sanitizer, Febreeze or downy wrinkle release, etc).

The makeup bags are good for having more privacy with your items (from both the room

Steward and your cruising mates), but the different sized zip locks fully served their purpose as well!

I don't put everything in one bag either. I have 2 from Lesportsac that

I LOVE:D....the nylon is so sturdy and they have fun prints on them.

I don't wear a lot of make up and what I do bring goes in the small one.

Toiletries go in another one......what I consider toiletries anyway....

toothbrush/paste/floss, deodorant, travel size shampoo, q-tips, etc

go in another bag.

I have a huge bag collection (I'm an addict ;-) Mainly structureless nylon - LeSportsac, Eagle Creek (love the spectre line for super light weight nylon!) Ebags, LLBean toiletry bags etc. I pick and choose whatever I need for the type of trip (and packing) I plan to do.

Just a couple trips ago, my husband and I switched to a "medicine" bag - one nylon bag (Eagle Creek spectre half cube, actually) that has medications, bandaids, tweezers, eyeglass repair kit - anything non-liquid that either of us had in our toiletry kits that we share. When one of us travels alone, s/he can take it, and when we travel together, it goes in one person's bag (and since it's non-liquid only, no issues when we go carry-on). So far it's working out nicely - more so for my husband, I think, as he can carry a smaller toiletry bag. Most of the stuff I carried in its own small nylon bag already.

I have a huge bag collection (I'm an addict ;-) Mainly structureless nylon - LeSportsac, Eagle Creek (love the spectre line for super light weight nylon!) Ebags, LLBean toiletry bags etc. I pick and choose whatever I need for the type of trip (and packing) I plan to do.

Just a couple trips ago, my husband and I switched to a "medicine" bag - one nylon bag (Eagle Creek spectre half cube, actually) that has medications, bandaids, tweezers, eyeglass repair kit - anything non-liquid that either of us had in our toiletry kits that we share. When one of us travels alone, s/he can take it, and when we travel together, it goes in one person's bag (and since it's non-liquid only, no issues when we go carry-on). So far it's working out nicely - more so for my husband, I think, as he can carry a smaller toiletry bag. Most of the stuff I carried in its own small nylon bag already.

I became a convert to the Spectre line this past Spring. I needed a new toiletries bag (my 14 year old Eagle Creek bag needed to be retired) and found the Spectre stuff at the local REI. I ended up buying a bunch of the different bags, from different sizes of cubes, to the Wallaby toiletries kit to the Quick Trip toiletries bag (great for short trips when I don't need the full Wallaby or to use for electronics) to a new packing folder. This stuff is so much lighter and easier to pack the the old Eagle Creek bags; it will conform to whatever space you have to put it in!

I think I have 3 spectre bags right now - the blaze orange that was super cheap on Sierra trading Post ;-) Very easy to find inside others bags! My husband ordered the small wallaby toiletry bag but didn't like it (enough over his current bag - on its own it's very nice!) so we sent that back....

I think I have 3 spectre bags right now - the blaze orange that was super cheap on Sierra trading Post ;-) Very easy to find inside others bags! My husband ordered the small wallaby toiletry bag but didn't like it (enough over his current bag - on its own it's very nice!) so we sent that back....

I had what would be the OLD version of the Pack-It. I decided to try the Wallaby just to be different.

I have a mix of colors - whatever I found on sale at the time. I'm a little partial to the "lime" color, though.

I use flanabags for all my stuff. They are see thru, have a small carry loop for through security and are very sturdy. My husband has used the same one for 4 years. I pack my 3-1-1 stuff in one, then use others for different needs. They fold flat so they are easy to store and since I can see exactly what is inside easy to organize. You can find them on etsy and their website. I give them as gifts all the time and other people love them.

I got a bag from a boss years ago that I use for all my toiletry stuff. It has a zipper on 3 sides, and pockets on both sides. It's also that sort of plasticy insulated material so wipes easily if stuff spills. I see them al the time in places like tj maxx and marshalls. Before my husband, I put my cosmetics in one side and shampoo and toothpaste stuff on the other. Now with my husband, I usually put his stuff on one side and mine on the other, ad take another bag for my makeup.

We are like @hoyaheel -- separate out the first-aid and non-Rx meds (and Rx seasick patches, too, just not the every-day pills). I keep a bag like this

61%2BvaX9SMRL._SY355_.jpg

packed and ready to go. Since we travel carry-on only, my vast collection of other types of toiletry bags have been retired to the back of the linen closet for the haut quart zippy bags we each carry (and a third for dry stuff not living in the hanging bag above).

My tinted moisturizer of course travels in my 3-1-1 bag, and I even put makeup removing wipes in there, although some people claim they will not be detected as "liquid". They fit so in they went.

I carry three lipsticks, a concealer, & maybe a powder compact in my cross-body bag.

I need the bag/container to double as a holder/organizer for its items at the destination. Otherwise the bottles/tubes/jars end up everywhere. The shapes I land on have a square bottom and zip fully open at the top. I've even used the inexpensive plastic lidded (tupperware like) containers before- keeps tubes of sunscreen from squishing in the suitcase! Keep items in the container on the counter.

The hang-up type bags don't suit me well at all... I may need the items in an area where I can't hang the bag, so access is a pain.

I have separate containers for different grouped items also, like many previous posters.

That's what works for me..

Peg

@ Peg

I don't know the volume of your countertop needs, but TexasGiGi's idea of a rectangular lunch bag (usually the size of a six-pack of cans, tightly inside) sounds good for you. They are not rigid but most do stand up pretty well.

First attachment is cheap promotional ones; second is a stouter bag with outside pockets for special things, by Everest; its lid also opens down an inch or so instead of flush with the top.

1.JPG.f4b0501100269e9de251f96cb254d16a.JPG

2.JPG.478e64896d949f2e17608b9c69c7c9d6.JPG

@ Peg

I don't know the volume of your countertop needs, but TexasGiGi's idea of a rectangular lunch bag (usually the size of a six-pack of cans, tightly inside) sounds good for you. They are not rigid but most do stand up pretty well.

First attachment is cheap promotional ones; second is a stouter bag with outside pockets for special things, by Everest; its lid also opens down an inch or so instead of flush with the top.

Exactly!!!!

Peg

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have recommendations for an under seat tote for the airplane?

I look on here once in a while and love to see what people are taking so I was wondering what was around now.

I found a Lily Bloom Tweety Twig bag that for some reason I think is cute. It really isn't my style but I like it. it is 14x14s 5.5. Is that a good under seat size of tote? I usually take a back pack so I am trying to gage the size.