Something different suggestions

sellwingri

I've been in Grand Cayman before and have done all the "regular" tours. We're looking for something different. We're not beach, snorkel, scuba people. We'd rather tour and see sights. Anyone have any suggestions?

Following because we will be there in December and not 100% sure what we are doing.

Have you been to the brewery? We had a great tour for just the two of us and a fun tasting afterwards. We rode the local bus there and back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks. This is a possibility.

Are there cabs or private tour guides that take you on a tour of the island?

Thanks. This is a possibility.

Are there cabs or private tour guides that take you on a tour of the island?

Not sure when you say you have done all the regular tours what that includes? Do you mean the west side tourist routes?

We took a tour east a number of years ago in a chauffeured open-air jeep, with Cayman Safari, and had a very enjoyable day. Since then I see they have added more options of tours routes. Our guide was Shirley, who I thought was one of the owners.

A more recent thread on here suggested she has either set up a separate, or second company, called Cayman Routes where she is a driver and guide but doesn't state what type of vehicle is used for transport.

I would suggest contacting either, or both, these companies to see if they offer the type of tour you are looking for.

I've found that when you email local tour guides telling them what you have done and that you are looking for something different they can usually design a great itinerary for you. They live there...they are the experts.

Then I post my custom itinerary on CC and always easily fill the tour. That way I pick the size of the group too

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Suggestions are easier to make if you say exactly what you mean by "the regular stuff" so we can tell you what else there is.

We've done a glass bottom boat, seen hell, gone to the turtle farm, and taken a basic bus tour. What we'd like to do is take a private tour (2 people) of the island that goes to parts of the island that aren't normally seen on an island but haven't found any. Are there cabs available for tours at the port?

We've done a glass bottom boat, seen hell, gone to the turtle farm, and taken a basic bus tour. What we'd like to do is take a private tour (2 people) of the island that goes to parts of the island that aren't normally seen on an island but haven't found any. Are there cabs available for tours at the port?

Have you read my post above? I gave you the name of two companies that do exactly that.

I don't know if I'd wait for the port, you will have more control over what you get by booking ahead. A few company names are suggested in other posts, but you can also search this forum and places like tripadvisor for tours that mention East End or North Side.

A good option if you want really private is to rent a car and DIY. Easy, safe and there's lots of websites with driving tour suggestions.

There's also a food tour that you may enjoy. We haven't taken it, but it gets good reviews. Google 'Grand Cayman Food Tour' and it should pop up.

KC

I've been on that site for that tour but it keeps saying they are taking the summer off. It won't even allow me to book for October :( Not sure how much time they take off.

I've been on that site for that tour but it keeps saying they are taking the summer off. It won't even allow me to book for October :( Not sure how much time they take off.

I just checked the excursions that Carnival offers for GC and they have a listing for a new "Taste of Cayman Island Tour" that closely resembles the tour offered by this company. There are no reviews yet as it must be a fresh venue for the Carnival Line. I did notice however that it is $10 more than the price quoted by the company, totaling a cost of $85.

I just checked the excursions that Carnival offers for GC and they have a listing for a new "Taste of Cayman Island Tour" that closely resembles the tour offered by this company. There are no reviews yet as it must be a fresh venue for the Carnival Line. I did notice however that it is $10 more than the price quoted by the company, totaling a cost of $85.

Thank you for that, I had given up on looking at the Carnival website weeks ago...;)

We just booked with Shirley for our visit in December. We're doing a tour of the island with no predetermined stops. She offered us a great rate of $170 for just 2 of us.

I'll be back in January with my 2 best friends who've never been on a cruise. (This will be my 16th.). With the rookies we'll do hell, turtle farm, rum cake store, glass bottom boat, and a quick island tour. In my opinion, these are the stops every newbie should make.

We just booked with Shirley for our visit in December. We're doing a tour of the island with no predetermined stops. She offered us a great rate of $170 for just 2 of us.

I'll be back in January with my 2 best friends who've never been on a cruise. (This will be my 16th.). With the rookies we'll do hell, turtle farm, rum cake store, glass bottom boat, and a quick island tour. In my opinion, these are the stops every newbie should make.

Shirley is a great guide, hope you enjoy your day!

Did she say what type of vehicle she was now using? The jeep was fun but I was wondering if she had changed to something else?

What is Shirley website? Do you have a link? And is a meal included in your tour?

TIA

Gal

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the info so far on this post!

I am really hoping to find a great place on the East End to grab some lunch. Local fare... not too pricey... great location kind of place...

We'll be there next month and took a bicycle ride of the West Bay Loop last time we were there. It was a good time, but ready to see something different this time!

Sara

Thanks for the info so far on this post!

I am really hoping to find a great place on the East End to grab some lunch. Local fare... not too pricey... great location kind of place...

We'll be there next month and took a bicycle ride of the West Bay Loop last time we were there. It was a good time, but ready to see something different this time!

Sara

See my earlier posts in this thread. We stopped at Miss Vivine's for a local lunch with a view on the east end.

Edited by c-leg5