Using cell phone on the cruise

ajee622

I know it's been covered before but I just want to make sure I have it correct.

We have att and we are getting the ship wifi.

We should put our phone on airplane and just use the wifi during the cruise to avoid any extra expense.

If it's on wifi are text messages free?? I have an iPhone and read that if it's iPhone to iPhone with the messaging it uses wifi so it would be free???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This actually gets somewhat confusing.

iMessage through an iPhone isn't actually "texting". iMessage (blue text background) will work fine over wifi. If you're receiving true texts (green background), they won't work directly over wifi.

If you have an iPhone 5S (I believe) or later, you have the option of activating wifi calling through your phone settings (Apple has a good discussion of how to do this on their web page). With wifi calling activated, you can receive calls, regular texts, and iMessages. Google "wifi calling on iPhone".

As long as you're on wifi with your cellular off (airplane mode on/wifi on), you won't be charged for cellular use.

I'm not that techie, so I could be wrong, but unless you have an unlimited wifi package on the ship, just be sure to log off on the wifi when you are done using it. Otherwise you will use up your package quickly. I'm not sure if Celebrity still charges by the minute when you go over your package limit.

Yes you can iMessage and make phone calls over Wifi for free if you have an iPhone 5c or newer. Texting (green bubbles) is not included.

Put your phone in airplane mode and make sure it's connected to Wifi:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204234

Here's how to make a Wifi call:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032

Check here to make sure your carrier supports Wifi calling:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204039

If you leave your phone in airplane mode, there is no way you would incur any additional charges.

You can do this at home over your own wifi network to try it out. There should be no difference at all in utilizing your phone or receiving calls.

Yes you can iMessage and make phone calls over Wifi for free if you have an iPhone 5c or newer. Texting (green bubbles) is not included.

If you leave your phone in airplane mode, there is no way you would incur any additional charges.

You can do this at home over your own wifi network to try it out. There should be no difference at all in utilizing your phone or receiving calls.

Thanks for the clear, concise, incredibly useful information. And, how kind of you to include all the links.[emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Well said.

My understanding of wifi calling on US at&t plans is that there is no cost for calling a US number no matter where you are located. However when calling international numbers (again no matter where you are located) international rates apply as if you were calling that number from the US. Therefore if you plan to call international numbers while traveling, you should buy a Passport International package from at&t. At least that's what I understand from studying the at&t website.

So, if I have the international plan too, can I call using wifi on airplane mode or do I go to my plan? I am confused about that? Also, what about when I am in the middle of the Atlantic?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My understanding for at&t is that if you have an international plan you can use either wifi calling or cell service. Wifi calling is useful if you can't connect to a local cell service, but have wifi available. The obvious case is, as you say, when you are in the middle of the Atlantic. That's my plan for staying in touch with my business while crossing.

You can test your wifi calling right now by enabling it on your phone (google for instructions). Then enable airplane mode (to turn off cell service). Then turn on wifi and connect to your network. That's it. Now you can test it by making a phone call. Once you verify that it works don't forget to turn off wifi calling (method varies by phone type - again google for instructions)

My understanding for at&t is that if you have an international plan you can use either wifi calling or cell service. Wifi calling is useful if you can't connect to a local cell service, but have wifi available. The obvious case is, as you say, when you are in the middle of the Atlantic. That's my plan for staying in touch with my business while crossing.

You can test your wifi calling right now by enabling it on your phone (google for instructions). Then enable airplane mode (to turn off cell service). Then turn on wifi and connect to your network. That's it. Now you can test it by making a phone call. Once you verify that it works don't forget to turn off wifi calling (method varies by phone type - again google for instructions)

It always amazes me that folks plop down $500-$1000 for a cell phone and then don't take the time to learn its features or how to use it.

In any case, on some cruise lines, you can get AT&T's "Connect at Sea," which is an add on to its land "passport" packages (or stand alone for just the ship at sea). If you've got/get Connect at Sea, you'll see it as the provider at the top of your phone while at sea (smart tip is always set your phone OFF "auto network" to "manual" so that you can select your own provider or whoever is their international partner from the list found on the AT&T website. In this way, you'll still be paying for international voice calling - but at least it will be at the lowest rate).

However if you use AT&T wifi internationally it's not free, as it is with domestic calls; even tho the call goes via the internet you will be charged according to your cellular plan whatever it is, so there's no cost saving compared to cellular service. Instead one can use free wifi based calling. The most obvious example is WhatsApp. The drawback is that whomever you call must also have the app. This should be no big problem if you plan to use it for family calling, and everybody can simply have the app on their phone. AFAIK WhatsApp will work on the ship's wifi.

Edited by jan-n-john

However if you use AT&T wifi internationally it's not free, as it is with domestic calls; even tho the call goes via the internet you will be charged according to your cellular plan whatever it is, so there's no cost saving compared to cellular service. Instead one can use free wifi based calling. The most obvious example is WhatsApp. The drawback is that whomever you call must also have the app. This should be no big problem if you plan to use it for family calling, and everybody can simply have the app on their phone. AFAIK WhatsApp will work on the ship's wifi.

AT&T WIFI is most certainly free outside the country. If you have cellular off (Airplane Mode) and Wifi On, and have enrolled in AT&T WIFI then the calls will work as though you are home. I've used this option several times outside the country. You might be thinking of this bullet point.

"For international calls, the rates from your calling plan or international long distance package apply."

Which means if you call an international number, not if you call domestic while traveling internationally. Your phone works as though you are at home. So what is free at home is free over wifi. What costs money at home also costs money over wifi. It is a wonderful service.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/features/wifi-calling.html

Edited by reecesavage

So, if I have the ship's wifi and am traveling across the Atlantic on a TA, can I use the ships wifi or do I still need an international calling plan where I am charged for my minutes and/or would I need AT&T wifi too?

Anyway, I have AT&T wireless now; if I add the passport package, along with the ship's wifi will I be covered calling back to the USA while in the Atlantic and also in Europe? I have also had a plan, but never using the unlimited Celebrity wifi to make a call.

Edited by Lastdance

So, if I have the ship's wifi and am traveling across the Atlantic on a TA, can I use the ships wifi or do I still need an international calling plan where I am charged for my minutes and/or would I need AT&T wifi too?

Anyway, I have AT&T wireless now; if I add the passport package, along with the ship's wifi will I be covered calling back to the USA while in the Atlantic and also in Europe? I have also had a plan, but never using the unlimited Celebrity wifi to make a call.

The link above will tell you how to enable AT&T Wifi calling. Then you just put the phone in airplane mode. Turn on wifi. Connect to the ship's wifi, and you can make calls. They will be billed as though you were sitting at home. So if it's free in your living room, it's free on the ship. If it costs money in your living room, it costs money on the ship.

Cellular data is whole different animal, but is turned off in airplane mode anyway.

There are tons of wifi hotspots in Europe, and alo other devices. Like in Poland you can get a Portable wifi device that costs $6/day. It connects to Polish cellular networks and gives you access via wifi. So for $6/day in Poland you can use AT&T Wifi wherever you go. I'm sure there are other devices in Europe similar to those.

You can use the ships wifi.

What has become unclear in this discussion is the cost for the ship's wifi. Prices vary, but it is not unusual for wifi to cost upwards of $.75/min. You can usually buy a package (so many minutes for so much money). If you have unlimited wifi onboard you should not need anything from ATT.

There is no way around it, voice calls will result in a charge (buying an unlimited wifi package is a charge). Using one method or another may change the price, but there is still a price.

Be sure you understand ATT's pricing. I have not used the cruise ship package, but I have used the Passport for foreign travel. It results in a $1.00 per minute charge for making a call in most countries.

It always amazes me that folks plop down $500-$1000 for a cell phone and then don't take the time to learn its features or how to use it.

In any case, on some cruise lines, you can get AT&T's "Connect at Sea," which is an add on to its land "passport" packages (or stand alone for just the ship at sea). If you've got/get Connect at Sea, you'll see it as the provider at the top of your phone while at sea (smart tip is always set your phone OFF "auto network" to "manual" so that you can select your own provider or whoever is their international partner from the list found on the AT&T website. In this way, you'll still be paying for international voice calling - but at least it will be at the lowest rate).

I don't see anything about "connect at sea" on att.com . However I am aware of their Cruise Packages. They seem kinda expensive - have limited minutes with overage charges - and are ONLY AVAILABLE in Canada, Mexico, and some Caribbean islands.

Thanks everyone for your input, as I believe I understand this now. I will use my ship's unlimited wifi to call back home, with airplane mode turned on and my phone wifi calling on too. In Europe if I need to make a call on land, I will use my AT&T passport plan that also has data. On the ship with my free wifi, I can still make calls and use social media etc....:cool: Hope that's correct...

Again...Many thanks for your advice!!!

Edited by Lastdance

We used our att phones for one month on the Silhouette including November transatlantic. When using wifi (we had unlimited), we kept phone on airplane mode and cellular data OFF. That is important. With wifi we could text, and use the phone and data. We did not have any problems or charges for the month in Europe and at sea. You have to set this up with ATT prior to your cruise. They will walk you through setup. You also have to have ATT passport downloaded.

Hope this helps.

I don't see anything about "connect at sea" on att.com . However I am aware of their Cruise Packages. They seem kinda expensive - have limited minutes with overage charges - and are ONLY AVAILABLE in Canada, Mexico, and some Caribbean islands.

I see that you are also on the same upcoming TA...thanks for trying to assist me with questions from this site...I hope to meet you at the sail away!

AT&T WIFI is most certainly free outside the country. If you have cellular off (Airplane Mode) and Wifi On, and have enrolled in AT&T WIFI then the calls will work as though you are home. I've used this option several times outside the country. You might be thinking of this bullet point.

"For international calls, the rates from your calling plan or international long distance package apply."

Which means if you call an international number, not if you call domestic while traveling internationally. Your phone works as though you are at home. So what is free at home is free over wifi. What costs money at home also costs money over wifi. It is a wonderful service.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/features/wifi-calling.html

Yes, I looked again at that bullet point and the call is indeed free unless it is to a phone outside the US. I stand corrected. BTW, apparently Verizon at least offers essentially the same deal.

Before Royal brought out the VOOM internet (and Celebrity's Xcelerate) I would always buy the ATT Cruise Ship Package. There are 3 tiers. Calls only (discounted calling with some included minutes), Calls and Texts. And Calls, Texts and Data. Yes there are data limits, but the cost for extra data is the same as what you are paying in the package so it's not outrageous if you go over. One helpful thing is that it works off the ship in almost every Caribbean port, so you can stay connected when you are off the ship and not have to get a separate international calling plan.

Now with the faster internet, if there are not a lot of ports, I just use ship wifi and get the call and text package for emergencies and being able to get my "green text bubbles" :)

Also, if you have an ATT Family Share Value plan - you likely already have "free" calling, text and data in Mexico (and therefore Cozumel). They added it to most plans last year.

After An hour in my local AT&T store, I found out that my iPhone 5s does not have wi-fi calling. If i had T-Mobile, there would be wi-fi calling, but not AT&T. Disappointed, but not enough to shell out the money for a new iPhone just for that.

That is true, they started allowing it with the iPhone 6. The reason Sprint and T-Mobile supported it earlier is that without wifi calling you probably couldn't have made a call. :D