First timer needs advice about cruising on Regent

regalone

I am considering Regent's April 2015 Transcanal cruise. We are interested in this particular cruise because of it's ports and also that a duplicate bridge program is being offered. When talking to the agent who is handling the bridge bookings he indicated that the less expensive suites experience a lot of vibration. I don't know whether this is true or just an attempt to "upsell". The price (from the west coast) is almost $10,000 so this is not a decision I want to make lightly. Any input from prior Regent cruisers...no matter where you went....is truly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

I am considering Regent's April 2015 Transcanal cruise. We are interested in this particular cruise because of it's ports and also that a duplicate bridge program is being offered. When talking to the agent who is handling the bridge bookings he indicated that the less expensive suites experience a lot of vibration. I don't know whether this is true or just an attempt to "upsell". The price (from the west coast) is almost $10,000 so this is not a decision I want to make lightly. Any input from prior Regent cruisers...no matter where you went....is truly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

We need to know which ship you are considering. I am guessing it is Navigator but please confirm that.

I just looked at the Bridge Bulletin - yes it is the Navigator. Larry is a friend of ours and is a great lecturer. I have never been on the Navigator but if you tell us which cabins you are considering I'm sure the people on this board will give you the correct answer.

The agent didn't tell me the exact suite #, he just said the least expensive suite with a balcony.

The least expensive balcony suite on the Navigator is at the aft of the ship where there is significant vibration. So your agent is not trying to upsell you only give you fair warning. A better choice would be a mid ship location. It will be more expensive but you will be happier. Just go on the RSSC website, and find your cruise and you can see the prices for each suite category. Use the deck plan to see where the various suite locations are. And on the Navigator, the general advice is the avoid the aft suites (unless the noise/vibration is not an issue for you).

Hope this helps

I don't want to start another Great Vibration Debate but it can be a very real issue to some people while others don't mind it at all. The problem is that you won't know for sure which "camp" you fall into until you experience it for yourself. If you are concerned then stay away from aft (rear) cabins but on Navigator it can happen almost anywhere, especially if you are particularly sensitive to it.

Also agree with Grumpy. We took 16 cruises without a problem. We then cruised on RSSC Voyager with a cabin near the aft & the vibration was unbearable. Fortunately we were able to change cabins after 2 nights without sleep.

Also agree with Grumpy. We took 16 cruises without a problem. We then cruised on RSSC Voyager with a cabin near the aft & the vibration was unbearable. Fortunately we were able to change cabins after 2 nights without sleep.

We will be on Voyager in November in Africa. Where was your original room and where did they move you to??

Thanks!

Jay

Love Voyager and have been in the far Aft and only felt vibration entering and leaving port it never bothered either DH or I. On that cruise I was not aware of the vibration issues before boarding the ship. While I much prefer to sail mid ship (no vibration there) if faced with AFT vs not sailing Regent I would not hesitate to grab any cabin on board.

As noted above the vibration issues really bother some people and others barely notice it. Have a great cruise Voyager is beautiful and the cabins are great!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We will be on Voyager in November in Africa. Where was your original room and where did they move you to??

Thanks!

Jay

We originally were in 773 or 775 and were switched to 839. Not only was there vibration in our first cabin but the ceiling made alot of noise.

We will be on Voyager Cape Town to Singapore in December and requested our assigned stateroom on 7 to 9 forward. I hope this will be okay, but of course, we are comfortable in most all areas. Guess we are strange folks. Ha Ha

If you are on the Navigator - any suite front of the elevators are good.

If you play at the Bridge Academy, we play on the Sunday 299'ers.

The program is supposed to be very good. We were on the Voyager and I learned to play 7 years ago. My husband plays regularly

Edited by ChatKat in Ca.

The other side of the coin is that if you are VERY forward (601 for instance -- a lovely suite) you hear the anchor early in the morning. This will definitely wake you up:)

Edited by Travelcat2

• 3 weeks later...

You wont hear the anchor if you had a good night before.

We have been on Navigator 3 times and stayed mid ship, the floor under the gym is noisy (5:30 treadmill runner) and that was a concierge suite, the aft does have vibration although we have never had a suite there, but sit in the lounge at the bar and listen to the rattle.