Hurrican Timing

goofy gopher

It really varies storm to storm, some move quickly others will almost stay stationary. If you look more than three days out, the accuracy or predictions starts to drop drastically. However, I wouldn't worry about your cruise, they have your best interests in mind, and will either skip a port with a sea day or replace it with another.

It really varies storm to storm, some move quickly others will almost stay stationary. If you look more than three days out, the accuracy or predictions starts to drop drastically. However, I wouldn't worry about your cruise, they have your best interests in mind, and will either skip a port with a sea day or replace it with another.

Some of us do need to know ahead of time if a hurricane is out there, headed our way. Its not always how safe we are on the ship but will we be able to get back home if a hurricane is actually on land. For example if I disembark in Galveston and a hurricane is striking South Louisiana, where I live, I might not be able to drive home to secure my property. And there might not be any hotels or shelters available (once they fill up they don't take anyone else in) to take shelter in.

So yes, some of us do need to know ahead of time if a hurricane Is forming some where out there. So we can make a decision on whether or not we need to cancel our cruise.

Some of us do need to know ahead of time if a hurricane is out there, headed our way. Its not always how safe we are on the ship but will we be able to get back home if a hurricane is actually on land. For example if I disembark in Galveston and a hurricane is striking South Louisiana, where I live, I might not be able to drive home to secure my property. And there might not be any hotels or shelters available (once they fill up they don't take anyone else in) to take shelter in.

So yes, some of us do need to know ahead of time if a hurricane Is forming some where out there. So we can make a decision on whether or not we need to cancel our cruise.

Since it is so hard to forecast the route would it not be better to not cruise during hurricane season?

I frequently cruise during hurricane season (I LOVE the lower prices) and just don't worry about it. I'm blessed to be far enough inland that I have never seen local damage. (Tornadoes are what have hit us.)

I have been the first ship out, after a hurricane. I've had friends on board during a hurricane. And I don't worry about them! The friend I know, she said the ship listed and things fell from the dining table and in her cabin... but nothing catastrophic! She also said they altered course, to sail around the hardest part of the storm. The Captain is going to protect his ship and crew and guests. And Carnival will protect her ships and cancel or alter itineraries.

Just posting this in case you're worried about being on board...

If you live in South Louisiana, than you already know, the only way to predict if a hurricane will hit you, is within 5 days, and that isn't even accurate.

Since it is so hard to forecast the route would it not be better to not cruise during hurricane season?

Hurricane season last 6 months, and during the summer, when most people go on vacation. You can't just live you life around it if you live in the South. However, if a person is that worried, that in the slim chance, it might affect you, than you might be right, just don't book a cruise. Hurricanes can also just pop up, close to the US, and without much warning.

All the answers that say the timing of hurricanes vary widely are correct. About 2 weeks before the date of your cruise, I would check the Weather Channel for their reports. They also have maps on their web site.

If the reports indicate that a storm may be headed your way, you might want to put up shutters and do the other storm prep before departing for your cruise.

Doc

Sailing Sunday 8/3 on the Pride out of Baltimore. IF the storm begins a turn up the east coast, what is likely to happen in terms of what Carnival will do cruising down the coast to Port Canaveral? When do the cruise lines make decisions about whether to cancel a cruise due to weather? Thanks for all experienced storm watchers/cruisers for your thoughts.

Sailing Sunday 8/3 on the Pride out of Baltimore. IF the storm begins a turn up the east coast, what is likely to happen in terms of what Carnival will do cruising down the coast to Port Canaveral? When do the cruise lines make decisions about whether to cancel a cruise due to weather? Thanks for all experienced storm watchers/cruisers for your thoughts.

You will go where the hurricane is not going to go. They will wait until they are comfortable knowing the track but it all depends upon the situation.

Might wind up with a cruise to nowhere or to Canada or someplace else.

I love tracking the storms , but have never sailed into a disturbed area. I have, however, hunkered down for many storms including the former Bertha in 1996. We lost 30 big trees during Isabel, and a 100 year old oak fell right on our driveway barely missing our house. For Arthur, we were in the Outer Banks.I don't know what it would be like out to sea. Guess I need to get some motion sickness meds!

If you live in South Louisiana, than you already know, the only way to predict if a hurricane will hit you, is within 5 days, and that isn't even accurate.

Hurricane season last 6 months, and during the summer, when most people go on vacation. You can't just live you life around it if you live in the South. However, if a person is that worried, that in the slim chance, it might affect you, than you might be right, just don't book a cruise. Hurricanes can also just pop up, close to the US, and without much warning.

I have lived in central Florida for over 50 years. Quite honestly I hardly give hurricane season a second thought. If I stayed glued to the Weather Channel I would be ready to blow my brains out. I mean what am I going to do, put my life on hold and wring my hands and pull my hair out for six months out of the year.

We have a saying here in Florida,,,If you don't like the weather wait a half an hour. As I stated in another post I look at the weather underground web site once in a while to see what is going on and then I don't get all of the hype.

My hurricane plan is this. I insure the heck out of my home and its contents. Depending on what side of Florida the storm is approaching I will head to the other coast with my cats and find a pet friendly hotel.

As far as cruising during hurricane season I have every confidence Carnival and the rest of them have a good plan in place, I mean what are they going to do, shut down for six months out of the year.

On another note it really does grind my gears how excited all of the weather forecasters get when a storm pops up. The look like kids on Christmas morning. I guess that is the only time they get to play with all of their new toys. It has gotten so bad if somebody belches off the coast of Africa it makes the news.

Beacha, you'll be sailing no matter what. Carnival won't cancel. We were on the 10/28/12 Pride cruise when hurricane Sandy was headed right for us. No cancellation. In fact, we were onboard that Sunday and the plan was to sail down to the lower part of the Chesapeake Bay and then wait out the hurricane there. The Coast Guard had better sense, thankfully, and ordered the ship be evacuated and the Bay shut down. That's the ONLY reason that cruise was cancelled. Just make sure to take along your seasick preventative of choice and have a good time. You're going on a cruise! How fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How long does it take for a hurrican to cross the atlantic to the US. Wondering how far out from your cruise should you be watching what is going on in the Atlantic:confused:

Not all hurricanes form off the coast of Africa. Many form in the Gulf or the Caribbean, so you won't have as much warning.

Take Hurricane Sandy, for example. Sometimes a hurricane forms after you've boarded the ship. I was on a New England/Canada/Bermuda cruise round trip from NYC October 19 - November 2, 2012. Sandy formed in the Caribbean and wasn't a tropical depression until October 22, after the cruise had started. Sandy zig-zagged north, gaining hurricane force. losing it, then regaining it. Sandy hit NY/NJ on October 29. So in a week while we were onboard, Sandy formed and hit the Northeast.

The cruise had to cancel the Bermuda portion of the trip, stay up in Canada, and disembark in Boston instead of NYC.

No matter how much you try to avoid bad weather, it happens, and it can happen quickly.

Every storm is different, and you never really have a great idea of where it's going to be more than 3 days out, 5 at the outside.

Buy insurance and don't sweat it.

Edited by gtalum

This will be one of the quietest seasons of the year on record. The best chance of landfall hurricanes are actually going to form in the Caribbean/Gulf and hit the East coast. Most hurricanes that form in the Atlantic off Africa do not make it to the US, but can affect the islands ships go to.

As most folks have said............each storm is different. Basically Mother nature will do what she wants and how sh wants.

The link below is a pretty good site to follow, but no guarantees:

http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/

The old story goes, "people make plans and God laughs and laughs!"

AKK

The above is currently showing a disturbance in the Atlantic with good chance of becoming a tropical cyclone within the week.

LuLu

Yeah don't think many people realize it yet but there is something forming right now with the potential to hit the carribean, Florida, the eastern seaboard or even the Gulf of Mexico. It's designated 93L and will likely be named later today. It's too far out to know much about direction an intensity but since I'm sailing 8/3 from galveston to Cozumel, belize, and roatan I am certainly keeping an eye on this one. Most tracks at first had it skirting the Antilles and turning back NE out to see, today's models have it a little more southern with some showing it heading tight over Puerto Rico. As I understand it, the stronger it is the more likely it turns NE and away from sea, if it weakens it goes straight over the carribean, and a few give it a chance to end up in the Gulf of Mexico. That scenario is the one worrying me because it would end up there mid to late next week just in time for our sea days back to galveston.... And likely picking up steam over the warm gulf waters.....

We shall see..... But yeah too early to really know what's gonna happen

We cruised out of Miami less than 12 hours before Hurricane Andrew hit South Florida. I suppose people with insurance cancelled because the ship was half full. We flew down to Miami in the morning before Andrew and arrived well before embarkation (we were young cruisers lol). The ship left one hour early at full possible speeds and we made all our ports without much wave action. Thankfully, we had a port to come home to. From our experience, and from reading about Sandy, decisions are made at the latest possible time.