FLL flight after cruise

I did 9:50 am off the allure last april.

The challenge is... If there are a bunch of ships in.. the tsa security line can be really really long (even if you manage to get off the ship early)

I have TSA pre-check so the line is substantially shorter for me.

I have done FLL probably a dozen times. As a rule I try to book right around 11am when available.

Wow... ya'll are braver than I!! :)

After just finishing a totally awesome and relaxing cruise, the last thing I want to do is worry about if I'm going to make my flight back and have to rush around like a chicken with it's head cut off.

If I can't get an early afternoon flight, I would just grab a cheap hotel for the night and fly back the next morning. It's not potentially worth ending an otherwise absolutely wonderful vacation because I had to struggle to make my flight or worse yet possibly miss my flight.

We had booked a late morning flight last time (between 11 and noon). Airline bumped us up to a 9-something flight and that made me nervous. We had them change us to the next available flight, which was around 1:30p.m. We self-disembarked the ship early, and even with standing in line for about 30 minutes for customs, we arrived at the airport before 9 a.m., hoping to swap to the earlier flight. Unfortunately, there were no seats available on that early flight. We were too early to go thru the TSA checkpoint and ended up sitting in the FLL front lobby, surrounded by all our bags, for hours.

If you're off the ship early, you should have no problem making a flight around 10 or even a little earlier. The word, though, is "if". Customs can get pretty hairy.

We have a 10:15am flight booked for our upcoming cruise. Some say we're taking a chance, but we've done this in the past and haven't had any issues. My sister and BIL have made a 9am flight too....self disembark with bags first thing and straight to airport. They still had time for breakfast and boredom at airport. All will be well "IF" ship arrives on time and customs is going smooth. Weigh your options and comfort level...but most of all, enjoy your cruise!

We did self-disembark and made a 9:10 a.m. flight when we got off the Allure. Made it with time to spare. Love those early morning flights before the airport gets busy!

Sounds like it's taking a risk, but if it works, that's great as no time to sit and twiddle your thumbs.

We have an 11:20am flight coming home. Not sure whether to self disembark or not.

next available flight, which was around 1:30p.m. ... we arrived at the airport before 9 a.m., hoping to swap to the earlier flight. ... We were too early to go thru the TSA checkpoint and ended up sitting in the FLL front lobby, surrounded by all our bags, for hours.

Never heard of TSA timing you on entry to airport itself as long as you had a ticket/boarding pass to fly the same day.

Is this something new? Is it peculiar to FLL?

Never heard of TSA timing you on entry to airport itself as long as you had a ticket/boarding pass to fly the same day.

In many airports, the security checkpoints are not staffed 7x24x365. If there are not any flights out of that terminal or section, they might not put TSA agents in that area until a few hours before the flight.

So if the first flight of the day for that terminal was 1pm... it does not make sense to have TSA agents standing around all day. They would likely open that section around 11-11:30.

Made an 8:10am Southwest flight last October off Allure.

We were one of the first off the boat and were sitting at the gate at 6:50am.

Holy Cow! Well I went for the 11:54 a.m. Should be good. The way flights are canceled and bumped now days. Drives ya nuts..:(

Holy Cow! Well I went for the 11:54 a.m. Should be good. The way flights are canceled and bumped now days. Drives ya nuts..:(

FLL Oasis/Allure is the only place I would dream of doing something like that. I have cruised from Galveston and wouldn't dare doing anything before 3pm, even out of Hobby.

You won't have any issues with 11:54am. Biggest problem we have had in the past is when we had a later flight on an airline that didn't have many flights out of FLL, and the check-in at the airport didn't open until 3 hours after we got there. So we just had to sit in the terminal and wait with the luggage, not even chairs to sit on.

We are doing a 10:45 in December.

I honestly don't know if the 4-hour rule is the airline or TSA. But that has happened to us many times over the last 11 years. The first time was @ FLL.

I've read that there is a pecking order for debarkation. Oasis and Allure start debarkation first. So be very careful of the answers you receive. It would be better to check how many ships are in port that day and then ask about the ship you are on.

When we were on Oasis we stayed an extra day and took an 8:30 flight the next morning. The woman sitting on the plane next to me said she had just gotten off Allure. She did not plan this and just took the earliest debarkation. Sometimes "Ignorance is bliss".