Black pants with brown shoes

gentle@spici

I'm doing my packing for next weeks cruise and don't really want to take both black and brown shoes for dinners. Will it look stupid to wear my comfy brown shoes with black pants for a couple casual dinners? I have a brown suit coat and brown pants for formal nights. I've never been the most color coordinated. Lol.

I'm doing my packing for next weeks cruise and don't really want to take both black and brown shoes for dinners. Will it look stupid to wear my comfy brown shoes with black pants for a couple casual dinners? I have a brown suit coat and brown pants for formal nights. I've never been the most color coordinated. Lol.

I think you will look fine with the black pants and brown shoes.

Enjoy your cruise.:)

Personally, I don't do it (nor, assuming you are male as you mention a suit for dinner and wearing the same shoes on other nights, do I wish my husband to pack that way). When we pack light, we pick a single color scheme and choose shoes & clothing that match that scheme. So in your case, packing only the brown shoes, he would wear khakis, moss green, or browns - but no black.

I don't *care* what other people wear, but I most certainly do notice what they are wearing.

My fashionable DD is appalled at black and brown together. I remind her that rottweilers are black and brown. She also says black and blue don't go together, but every bruise I've ever had has been black and blue. . .And yellow, green and purple. :D

I have a pair of flats (Etienne Aigner) that are both brown and black. The top of the shoe is brown and the rest of the shoe black. Maybe depends the shade of brown but I must have liked the look or wouldn't have bought those shoes. :)

I have a pair of flats (Etienne Aigner) that are both brown and black. The top of the shoe is brown and the rest of the shoe black. Maybe depends the shade of brown but I must have liked the look or wouldn't have bought those shoes. :)

I think that's the key - the shade of brown. I'm not sure a dark chocolate brown would work well with black, but a lighter caramel brown would prob work better.

But in the end - if you (or your significant other) don't mind the look, go for it. It's not the kind of fashion faux pas that will get you turned away from any of the dinning venues. lol

don't really want to take both black and brown shoes for dinners
why not wear your black shoes with your black pants, tho???

Because, as he wrote in that original post, he doesn't want to take both pairs of shoes.

I agree that more of a contrast might help me like the look more - caramel and black instead of chocolate and black - but then I have another issue in that I hate wearing shoes that are lighter than my hemline. I have never (nor do I plan to ever) wear nude shoes, mainly for this reason. I'd go metallic before nude. Though I don't see many men's shoes in metallic so I don't think that neutral is an option for this original poster:D

I wouldn't pack an extra pair of shoes just for a couple of casual dinners. It's your holiday so don't worry about the fashion police. Enjoy yourself :)

I don't think I have ever noticed what shoes men were wearing in the dining room at night. I might notice if the shoes were something extreme such as high heeled sequined boots or something out of the ordinary like that, but honestly I don't look at men's shoes. I think most people are more concerned with what they are going to eat in the dining room.

I've cruised almost 20 times, and never noticed what anyone's foot was wearing. Go for it, who cares?

Never noticed til I started reading CC. Lol

OP-if it really bothers change the pant color, maybe to navy.

Edited by SadieN

I've cruised almost 20 times, and never noticed what anyone's foot was wearing. Go for it, who cares?

I don't think I have ever noticed what shoes men were wearing in the dining room at night. I might notice if the shoes were something extreme such as high heeled sequined boots or something out of the ordinary like that, but honestly I don't look at men's shoes. I think most people are more concerned with what they are going to eat in the dining room.

I notice men's shoes as much as ladies'. :o

My DH loved fine shoes and wore Ferragamo, Gucci, Bally etc designer shoes. He took the best care of them, always polished beautifully and had the best shoemaker who preserved the leathers and added soles and heels as needed. Because of this special enjoyment of my DH's, I always notice men's shoes particularly if I like the suit or whatever outfit they are wearing. I like to see if they take as good care in selecting and caring for their shoes. :D

So,,,,,, while there may not be many who notice men's shoes, there are a few of us who do. :)

That being said, who cares what you wear. Suit yourself. I just enjoy when I see quality, well cared for shoes. (Okay,,, call it an idiosyncrazy. :D)

Edited by sail7seas

LOL....I was just getting some things I'm thinking about for a cruise we are taking on the Constellation the first week in February...my problem is just the opposite. Black sandals with tan pants. Since it's only a 5 day cruise, I really don't want to take loads of shoes. We are light packers in the first place and I was going to take an even smaller bag then I usually do. Still have a few more weeks to think about it! :D

I have no problem wearing black and khaki together because there is quite a bit of contrast. Some of the main reasons I don't like black and brown or black and navy together - esp with shoes, not necessarily within a single shirt or dress- is that to me it looks like you grabbed the wrong pair of shoes by accident. (Which I have done, and which is why I no longer buy black and navy in the same style of shoe ;-)

For years, my standard packing pallette for travel (business or leisure) has been black, khaki, turquoise and red. And I bring black shoes or boots.