Summit: List your insider tips, tricks and Must-do's

SuperLarz

I wish there was a "sticky" for this category for every ship.

A few years ago we took our first cruise which was on Princess. I remember finding a thread where previous guests listed their favorite Must-see, Must-do, Must-try, and Good-to-know tips. There was everything from the best espresso to the warm fresh cookies at a certain time/place every day, and ideas like bring a power strip and check out the secret staircase on Deck # ...

So... Now we are taking our first cruise on Celebrity and will be on the Summit. I am scouring the forum for a similar thread but can't seem to find the kind of compilation I am looking for.

If you have been on the Summit (or, I imagine the other M-class ships are very similar??) please list your your favorite tips, tricks, good-to-knows and must-dos. Any little detail that made your cruise extra fun or extra special or that you wish you would have known beforehand.

I am excited to read the responses! And if there is already a thread like this that I missed... please point me to it!

Thanks so much!

I was on Summit last feb. Some of the things I enjoyed were!

Steel drummer playing Caribbean music everyday at the Sunset bar.

The gym, it is at the front of the ship and the view was really nice.

After a hard day of playing at various islands,Persian Gardens was a great place to relax.

Cellar masters was my favorite quiet bar! We would just sit at the bar and within five minutes we would have service.

When crush would get a little loud we would take our drinks outside, it was nice.

Shuffle board, it was more fun then I thought it would be! Especially when I beat my husband.

There is a seating area for Cafe Al Bacio, my husband like the spiked coffee drinks and they came by and did table service.

The service at Normandy was great and we really enjoyed our time there. Qsine was o.k.

I love Normandie as well.:)

I seriously doubt they will ever put a sticky for each ship.....that would

add 11 addtional stickies to the top of this forum......:eek:....it would

look like 1/2 the page is a sticky.:eek:

I was on Summit last feb. Some of the things I enjoyed were!

Steel drummer playing Caribbean music everyday at the Sunset bar.

The gym, it is at the front of the ship and the view was really nice.

After a hard day of playing at various islands,Persian Gardens was a great place to relax.

Cellar masters was my favorite quiet bar! We would just sit at the bar and within five minutes we would have service.

When crush would get a little loud we would take our drinks outside, it was nice.

Shuffle board, it was more fun then I thought it would be! Especially when I beat my husband.

There is a seating area for Cafe Al Bacio, my husband like the spiked coffee drinks and they came by and did table service.

The service at Normandy was great and we really enjoyed our time there. Qsine was o.k.

Love the tips! I'm so happy to hear about the Caribbean music! At what time of the day do they do that at the sunset bar? What and where is Crush? Thanks!

Love the tips! I'm so happy to hear about the Caribbean music! At what time of the day do they do that at the sunset bar? What and where is Crush? Thanks!

It was everyday at sail away! That's why we booked an aft room on deck 11! Can't wait, it was so much fun.

It was everyday at sail away! That's why we booked an aft room on deck 11! Can't wait, it was so much fun.

I hate to possibly bear bad news, but last month, the only sailaway entertainment at the Sunset bar was a trivia game once or twice. :eek: I was very sad because there was either steel drum or guitar entertainment out there last summer for our Bermuda cruise. I really missed it.

The Martini Bar/Crush only seemed to be crazy between the traditional dinner times. Early sitting folks would come for an after-dinner drink while late sitting folks were there for a pre-dinner cocktail. Other than that, I never saw a crowd. I did notice on the menu they serve half-price martinis after 11:00.

My favorite "secret" is the sushi in the buffet. Last cruise, it began at 5:30. We would have some as a snack because we prefer a late dinner.

I was on Summit last November and here are a few of our highlights.

Had a wonderful time in Qsine, food is good but you are going for the novelty of it. 20% off (50% if in Aqua) the first night. We did it that night, but a bit difficult because the muster drill is at 7:45 pm, so we dined at 8 pm and missed sail away.

Loved trying different coffee/tea drinks at Café Al Bacio. Be sure to note that the treats are free and you don't need to purchase a drink to sample them. If you need a chocolate fix, they have a wooden box of different flavors of chocolates to chose from (if you don't see it just ask).

Fell in love with Jefferson Ang and his easy listening music.

If you like scones with all the fixens, they have them available every afternoon from 4-5 at the Oceanview Café during "tea time".

Be sure to completely circle the Oceansview Café, there are different stations on both sides as well as at the end, so you may miss all the different offerings if you don't check it all out, ie. eggs benedict station, waffle station, etc.

There is a "brunch" one time per cruise and it was offered on our last sea day, but is not well advertised. It is in the Cosmopolitan Restaurant (10 am - 1 pm) and can get quite crowded. We went right when it opened and by the time we left there was a line waiting for tables. Be sure to check for it in your Celebrity Today daily newsletter.

Enjoy your cruise, Summit is a great ship!

I hate to possibly bear bad news, but last month, the only sailaway entertainment at the Sunset bar was a trivia game once or twice. :eek: I was very sad because there was either steel drum or guitar entertainment out there last summer for our Bermuda cruise. I really missed it.

The last few times we sailed Summit to Bermuda, they normally had the sail away party on the pool deck. We had our Roll Call sail away back aft at the Oceanview Bar, Deck 10, Starboard side -- Port side is the smoking area.

Thanks for clarifying what "sticky" means. I thought it was things that should not be discussed on these forums and therefore have never looked at them...I just scroll past. Geesh...what have I been missing.

I wasn't trying to be rude with my comment:eek:....I was just letting the

original poster know that each ship wouldn't have sticky at the top

of the forum:confused:........

As a new cruiser to X myself, you are one of the most considerate posters. Personally, I find your posts helpful and informative.

oops...had a stoppage in submitting.......hope you have a great cruise....Summit is one of my favorite ships:)

Edited by Lois R

The Solarium pool on the S class is a great venue for vigorous pool walking and ancillary exercises. Also, it is in the same area as the AquaSpa Cafe, where you can have a very healthy lunch after your exercise regimen. Also, the T-pool on the M class can serve the same purpose, but as I recall the lunch possibities at that area are not comparable to the Aqua Spa Cafe.

Solarium pool is AMAZING on M class...like a thalassotherapy pool, only bigger. So sad the the S class ships don't have it. Picture strong water jets and built in lounger...ahhh....

Agree 100%. And it is salt water. Sooo much nicer than smelling like chlorine after using.

I was on the Summit back in April '13, and I'll be back on in late August, and my "don't miss" is the ice cream on Deck 10 in the buffet area(it's directly off the cafe entrance closest to the pool grill in its own contained section). Summit has both the Gelataria near Cafe al Bacio,(which is an extra cost)and the ice cream station, which is no extra charge. You can get assorted flavors of ice creams and frozen yogurts, as well as mix ins, or just a cup of mix ins, if you so desire. I'll throw my voice to the chorus also and say that Normandie is a great specialty restaurant, and the staff is extremely attentive and they pay attention to detail.

My only other tip is to have a marvelous time on the Summit!

Looking for a comfortable quiet place to read. The library is it. Better than the S class ships. On Summit, it is enclosed, has very comfortable chairs, and good books. Wish the S class ships had this arrangement.

Summit is lovely. Enjoy your cruise.

I was on the Summit back in April '13, and I'll be back on in late August, and my "don't miss" is the ice cream on Deck 10 in the buffet area(it's directly off the cafe entrance closest to the pool grill in its own contained section). Summit has both the Gelataria near Cafe al Bacio,(which is an extra cost)and the ice cream station, which is no extra charge. You can get assorted flavors of ice creams and frozen yogurts, as well as mix ins, or just a cup of mix ins, if you so desire. I'll throw my voice to the chorus also and say that Normandie is a great specialty restaurant, and the staff is extremely attentive and they pay attention to detail.

My only other tip is to have a marvelous time on the Summit!

Thanks for the tip. My DH loves ice cream and we'll be on Summit in 12 days.

Edited by Travelingclerk

Wow! Thank you all for the great information! I will have to re-read this thread and take notes.

I didn't think you were being rude, and your comment made complete sense. That would be a mess of stickies. It would just be nice to be able to compile everybody's ship suggestions in one area to make it easy to find. I love reading peoples tips and getting ideas for things I don't want to miss!

I will be on summit again in just a little over 30 days! If there are any photos or any other info you would like to know I can post it as soon as I return. That is if that time frame works for you.

Are you sailing on the Feb. 8th Southern Caribbean?? We are!!! And we also booked an aft cabin on Deck 11... Hoping there will be steel drums for sure!! I'm also very excited for the larger balcony. I originally booked deck 9 but then read about the overhang and saw pictures... It gave me claustrophobia just looking at it! I am a sun lover and want to see the SKY!

Thanks to everyone else who replied and please keep the suggestions coming! My husband is going to be thrilled about the ice cream. ;)

Time to go start taking those notes...

Thanks for the tip. My DH loves ice cream and we'll be on Summit in 12 days.

You're very welcome, and please let me clarify where the ice cream is located in the Oceanview Cafe on Deck 10. If you're coming in from the pool, it's the cafe entrance closest to the grill, if coming off the elevators it's the furthest buffet entrance. The ice cream station is inside the entrance itself on your left as you walk in(and not only is there ice cream, there are usually cookies too!). Enjoy your cruise!