Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

We (Australia) have an entry this year - Guy Sebastian. How and why did this happen? I hope it means we are now part of Europe, and we will no longer have to to line up in the Alien queue when we arrive at Heathrow!!! I have never really known much about the event (only that ABBA won it one year). From what I have seen so far, I don't think I have missed much.

Oz had a good entry ... and I'd say (ignoring the voting system) would have a decent chance of being in the top 5 .....

Well staged event tonight .... all glistenening!

Tonights EuroPizza.

BC23BC50-D2D3-4FA0-B4FE-95D6422B2A49.jpg

A very strong throng is congegating in Vienna's Rathausplatz in preperation for tonights Eurovision Song Contest.

http://webcam.anw.at/

It's going to be a great atmosphere ... however poor both the music and the voting ...

:)

My sister in law is watching (in Puerto Rico!) but I cannot watch in the US! Anybody in the US watching?? Years and years ago, Mireille Mathieu, from France, won, and I was able to watch it in Europe!! Today My DH put Edith Piaf in Spotify and sternly said better than Mathieu...well, yes, but I still loved Mathieu.

let's go back to food.

UKCruiseJeff: To answer the burning question of the Singapore Chill Prawn / Shrimp. I am excpetionally proud of this meal. Partly because how it came about.

Appreciate the great' date=' [b']added details on the Singapore Chill Prawn/Shrimp[/b] from Jeff. Wonderful to hear these "Rest of the Story" details. YES!! Love the food details and pictures!!

Here in America on TV today, it is all about auto sports. Right now, the Formula One Grand Prix from Monaco is on the NBC TV network. Nice to see those unique streets and twist/turns from there on our TV here. Have been in Monaco in June after the race and they still have many of bleachers and other aspect for this race still up and around this coastal city. Then at noon is the famed Indianapolis 500 on ABC-TV. Auto sports, going round and round and round, are not my top priority, but it is interesting to get a little sampling for this action. Later this morning on the NBC-TV network here, they will have the Barclays Premier League Soccer: Hull vs. Manchester United. Just like being in the UK?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 108,422 views for this posting.

We cracked open a bottle of Deutz for the F1, but what a doze .....

Lap 64, and they may as well call the qualifying as the result.

Mind you that plucky Nederlander Verstappen has just hit the buffers and this means that Hamilton's gap will go ....

Jeff

Am alternating back and forth on TV between a CBS Sunday Morning profile on British actor Bill Nighy and the Monaco Grand Prix. Nighy is now starring on Broadway with a hit play there, plus some of his recent films that have done well.

The race is now over and Hamilton did not make it as the winner. Nico Rosberg wins and he lives right there in Monaco.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 178,156 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Edited by TLCOhio

Oh bother and dash!! We do not have Sky F1, so WERE waiting until 5 p.m. UK time to see the race, trying not to find out the result in advance. Thought I was safe on CC.

Won't tell DH however, and spoil his afternoon as well.

LL

Oh bother and dash!! We do not have Sky F1, so WERE waiting until 5 p.m. UK time to see the race, trying not to find out the result in advance. Thought I was safe on CC.

Won't tell DH however, and spoil his afternoon as well.

LL

I'm sorry. Blame Terry.

Oh bother and dash!! We do not have Sky F1, so WERE waiting until 5 p.m. UK time to see the race, trying not to find out the result in advance. Thought I was safe on CC. Won't tell DH however, and spoil his afternoon as well. LL

Sorry about revealing the race outcome, but it is good to know that we were on top of things with the live results here. From the BBC, they just posted this headline: "Lewis Hamilton robbed as Nico Rosberg takes late Monaco win".

The key story highlights: "Lewis Hamilton was robbed of victory in the Monaco Grand Prix because of a strategic error by his Mercedes team. Hamilton controlled the race until Mercedes decided to pit him during a late safety car period following Max Verstappen's heavy crash. Team-mate Nico Rosberg and Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel did not stop and passed Hamilton before he rejoined." Sound like fun, maybe??!!

For the Indy 500, we will be watch for the results with a driver named Rahal. His first name is Graham, age 26, and he from here in Central Ohio. His dad is Bobby Rahal who won the 1986 Indianapolis 500. Rahul's racing team has now retired talk show host David Letterman as an active minority owner.

Full story at:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/32865694

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 23,254 views for these postings.

I'm sorry. Blame Terry. :)

YES, guilty as charged. But the penalty? None! Nice to be alive in a shrinking world where you can find out about these varying events around the world either quickly and/or LIVE!!

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 51,998 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

I was thinking. All this petrol-head stuff reminded me. We've had a deserter.

Where's V8Babe. I don't remember giving her a chitty to take time off. She liked my piccies of the F1 GP behind the scenes shots ..... and she'#s bleedin' gone.

A fixed penalty I think.

Jeff

Just had a winner for the Indianapolis 500. It's Juan Pablo Montoya. It's his second win of this famed race. Montoya is age 39, born in Columbia. He has been a crossover race winner with Formula One, CART, IndyCar, Grand-Am and NASCAR. From Central Ohio, our local hero, Graham Rahal, finished fifth. Nice boost for David Letterman with Rahal doing well. Will Power from Australia was second.

Very exciting finishing laps. Lots of lead changes in last dozen or two laps. The first four finishers had Chevy engines. Rahal was Honda-powered.

Tonight in Ohio, Cleveland, our Cavs with Lebron James of the NBA will try to go up 3-0 over Atlanta in the Eastern Conference finals.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 108,422 views for this posting.

Anyone seeking a touch of "light" culture (not low-fat yoghurt ....) might want to poodle off down to Youtube where the first amateur videos of this years delights at Sydney have just been loaded.

Search "Vivid Sydney Festival 2015" and also have a look at the highlight reel of 2014.

Jeff

Hi Jeff and all my Cooler friends!

So lovely of you to remember me - I feel really loved ;) Haven't posted in ages but I visit every day, without fail.

The F1 is becoming a procession. We went to the Melbourne GP and it was so boring, lucky we were in a corporate facility so the food and drink made up for the boredom. Considering the Singapore GP in 2016.

Off to the US in September for two weeks. My daughter is leaving to work at a Summer Camp in a couple of weeks so we're catching up with her at the end of her trip. (It's going to be a long four months for me.)

She graduated Uni last week, so I'm one proud mum.

Anyway, you don't hear from me for months and when you do I can't shut up. I think I've told you my life story, sorry.

Take care, Karin

Lovely to see the absconder V8BABE brought back to continue with their sentence.

Yes ... I think we are going to see some drastic changes to the cars over the next year or so and other stuff like more pit stops for the undercut and overcut ie refills etc. They realise that they have lost a chunk of audience particularly in South America and they need to be won back by bringing back more excitement and move variables.

This weekend I did a variation on the summer salmon meal and used Austrian potato salad instead of the previous versions .......

6CE54E67-9824-4B7C-8CF5-658107CAEB26.jpg

Question of the minute...Will Heathrow expand and destroy adjacent small towns?

Yes ... eventually they will add additional runway but it will have no impact or virtually no impact on any towns. It will however bring a bit more prosperity and is the only sensible solution. I will not however see it in my lifetimes and certainly not in Terry's. :)

It had to be done as I have thinking about this for some time and it has been bothering me.

Seabass with a seafood chowder dill foam with stove roasted charlottes and some Hampshire asparagus. Some sourdough for dipping.

0651C3D2-A308-44D7-B394-2770DF6CB24A.jpg

3B6FBC74-09F9-4F4B-BF81-02B42F3C83B3.jpg

Lovely food photos,looks delicious.

thanks for answer to airport question.it has been spun here that those living in the 600 year old towns are opposed to the expansion. Can the government take the property as in eminent domain?

it's still breakfast time here, enjoying my espresso.

Watching tennis and contemplating the days upcoming events.

family here for cookout and sons belated birthday celebration.

sunny and very hot, the weather report promises rain, but it has promised rain everyday and it has not materialised.

If I put the cushions on the outdoor furniture, it will rain! Enjoy the day coolers!

Question of the minute...Will Heathrow expand and destroy adjacent small towns?

UKCruiseJeff: Yes ... eventually they will add additional runway but it will have no impact or virtually no impact on any towns. It will however bring a bit more prosperity and is the only sensible solution. I will not however see it in my lifetimes and certainly not in Terry's. It had to be done as I have thinking about this for some time and it has been bothering me.

Great Heathrow expansion question by Candy and follow-up details from Jeff. Hopefully' date=' I will live long enough to see many of these expansions completed. Hint, hint!! Below is one of my favorite pictures from being there in 2010 while using this massive and interesting Terminal 5. It's a nice step up, once it was working properly, compared to many of the other older terminal spaces at the aging Heathrow.

[b']HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!![/b]: This is a big one in the USA to honor our veterans, including what was done with great success in World War II to save England and Europe.

YES, the Cleveland Cavaliers won last night in overtime to go up 3-0 over Atlanta in the NBA Eastern Finals. LeBron James had 37 points, plus 18 rebounds and 13 assists in this amazing victory. Don't know that basketball is big in the UK, but here in the USA, basketball can get fun with dramatic, thrilling finishes like this game.

Love the visuals and details on the seabass with a seafood chowder!! Yes, love sourdough for dipping. Keep up the great sharing, Jeff!!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 199,415 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

The new Terminal 5 at Heathrow has a unique, large roof span over this massive area that is in part a massive shopping-dining mall and, oh yea, a new 21st Century airport gateway/hub. Things worked smoothly at this facility for us. Nice and interesting design touches by the architect, Norman Foster.:

HeathrowTerminal5.jpg

Every person that currently sells a property under the current flight path tells potential purchases quite honestly that after a while you don't hear the noise anymore and it is just background. However, when there is talk of expanding Heathrow they say the opposite.

Very little real space is meeded for expansion and planes are getting quieter than they were 30 years ago. Whilst the other Londoneairports also need to expand Heathrow is the key hub. One or two villages might be impacted depending on the solition chosen.

They acquire properties by compulsory purchase and pay compensation.

Jeff

Every person that currently sells a property under the current flight path tells potential purchases quite honestly that after a while you don't hear the noise anymore and it is just background. However, when there is talk of expanding Heathrow they say the opposite. Very little real space is meeded for expansion and planes are getting quieter than they were 30 years ago. Whilst the other Londoneairports also need to expand Heathrow is the key hub. One or two villages might be impacted depending on the solition chosen. They acquire properties by compulsory purchase and pay compensation. Jeff

Appreciate the good and honest follow-up by Jeff for how humans do give "two-sided" answers about airport noise and neighborhood impacts. YES, planes are getting better for quiet standards. Always emotional and about how folks enjoy invoking "now in my backyard" opposition.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 178,207 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

In the last few days this bush has blossomed in the garden quite close to the old barn ... we didn't ever plant it and have no idea what it is and how it came here .... The bush to the right is a sloe tree that fell over and I left it to regrow. They are all protected anyway as we are in a conservation area and all trees have protection orders.

This is what I see at this moment whilst lazing on my sofa looking out through the doors. A typical unkempt and lovely natural English garden where nature "has won" and I have conceded total defeat.

E45BAE1A-4EF6-4FFF-B5CB-F4BDAAA1BC28.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Gorgeous tree and awesome food pics! Thanks for sharing them Jeff! It seems that Canada's contribution to the management of the Bank of England has gotten himself into a pile of muck. Hard to keep a secret these days! :)

http://montrealgazette.com/business/carney-in-hot-water-as-plan-to-leave-eu-is-leaked?__lsa=b20b-19cf

No, it is a complete misrepesentation.

Staff quite properly are making contingency plans for the evenetuslity that we leave the EU. The bank would be totally negligent if it hadn't made such plans. The great British Public mostly having an IQ of less than a peanut would read stuff into that, that they shouldn't so quite rightly the bank doesn't really want to talk about it. You'd have to be truly dumb to think that such plans weren't being made. So what they did was copy a paper by accident on the fact that such contingencies are being made.

Teacup and storm within.

On the topic of the impending and slow death of the EU

I've shared this article from The Times for you to read:

Greece cannot pay the IMF, says minister

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/business/economics/article4450149.ece?shareToken=d38e8d5effb480bf0ce552acd80bcb1e

And perhap's Nigel's best EU performance ... Who is Herman van Rompuy? Uploaded on 24 Feb 2010 "Nigel Farage says EU president Herman van Rompuy has the charisma of a damp rag and the appearance of a low-grade bank clerk"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqovTGjYjM4

Edited by UKCruiseJeff