Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Hi Coolers ....

I haven't cut the hedge yet so there is only a little bit of sea above the hedge. But I will do the hedge over the weekend if I do not drink too much wine.

I am in the Good Boy books today as I made her some moules and she tells me that she is really pleased she married a bloke with mussels.

Nices moules, even without the frites! While we're on the subject of our favorite bowl of mussels, mine would be the bowl that I devoured in Oslo a few years back... Coconut milk and curry; a huge bowl that was heaped high... I only took pictures of the aftermath!

IMG_2445.JPG

Be careful with that hedge trimmer... I've been known to trim clean through my extension cord on one occasion! :o

Nices moules, even without the frites! While we're on the subject of our favorite bowl of mussels, mine would be the bowl that I devoured in Oslo a few years back... Coconut milk and curry; a huge bowl that was heaped high... I only took pictures of the aftermath!

IMG_2445.JPG

Be careful with that hedge trimmer... I've been known to trim clean through my extension cord on one occasion! :o

Thanks JP,

that's a fine bowl of moules.

You picked one of my other favourite moules versions. I make a thai green curry version which is great use of the natural scoop the shell makes.

I've bought with me a stack of kafir lime leaves in preparation and plan a further delivery next week depending on when we decide to leave.

I also do a chilli version. Think of Singapore chilli crab but with moules instead. Moules are such a treat, it's odd how few people prepare them at home.

We haven't seen any pics of your travels recently. You and Chris are such a lovely couple and it lifts the thread when we see your explorations and clearly having fun in each others company.

Jeff

Thanks JP,

that's a fine bowl of moules.

You picked one of my other favourite moules versions. I make a thai green curry version which is great use of the natural scoop the shell makes.

I've bought with me a stack of kafir lime leaves in preparation and plan a further delivery next week depending on when we decide to leave.

I also do a chilli version. Think of Singapore chilli crab but with moules instead. Moules are such a treat, it's odd how few people prepare them at home.

We haven't seen any pics of your travels recently. You and Chris are such a lovely couple and it lifts the thread when we see your explorations and clearly having fun in each others company.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff - too kind.

I thought I was being too barbaric scooping up the curry broth with the half-shell. By far the best way to eat them! They were even better than they looked. After more than 3 years I can still imagine the taste.

Would make them at home if they were readily available. I can buy frozen in the grocery but they don't taste as good. Probably worth looking for, but inertia is a powerful force. There are enough places one can go out and have someone else cook them, so it's a treat that way. We like both the Provençal recipe (garlic, butter, wine, herbs) with crusty bread and/or frites, and the coconut milk curry recipe. Now I'm really craving some!

Not familiar with Singapore chili crab so hoping you'll elaborate. Sounds like something I'd really like.

We have laid somewhat low the past few months but we've been out and about some. After Christmas in Paris, we visited Montreal and Quebec City in January which was really fun. In March we did a one-week trip to France for a Rhone River cruise on SS Catherine - a beautiful newer Uniworld ship. I did a detailed picture review on the River Cruise boards which should cure your insomnia problem if you want to take a look. Great trip! Having so much fun on our past few France trips, as I've become more confident speaking in French. It makes for some fun interactions with the folks there.

We have a few more trips planned - in a few weeks we're off to Africa for safari - starting in Rwanda for gorilla trekking in the jungle, then a few stops in Tanzania (Serengeti, Ngorongoro, Tarigiere), then a few days in Zanzibar. We're going as part of a group of 8 this time - all of us met in October 2013 aboard Silver Explorer, and we've been planning this trip as a reunion. We have met up a number of times since the cruise and we really enjoy each other's company.

Really excited for this - and as an added bonus, we're celebrating our 20th anniversary in Zanzibar. Can't think of a much better way to do that! In addition to the wildlife, I'm looking forward to trying interesting new foods, and picking up some exotic spices on Zanzibar. I'll eventually post some pictures from that trip but I think we'll be off the grid for most of it.

We're doing another Germany trip this fall; tentatively in September, to pick up a new Audi. Splitting the time between Germany and Switzerland. As usual, Chris has about 3 weeks worth of activities planned for one week's time, so right now we're in the streamlining phase of planning.

All for now - and good night.

we're celebrating our 20th anniversary in Zanzibar. Can't think of a much better way to do that! In addition to the wildlife, I'm looking forward to trying interesting new foods, and picking up some exotic spices on Zanzibar. I'll eventually post some pictures from that trip but I think we'll be off the grid for most of it. We're doing another Germany trip this fall; tentatively in September, to pick up a new Audi. Splitting the time between Germany and Switzerland. As usual, Chris has about 3 weeks worth of activities planned for one week's time, so right now we're in the streamlining phase of planning.

Appreciate these busy, busy updates and details for the upcoming travels/adventures for JP and Chris. Great fun! Look forward to reading more reports and seeing the successful visuals. Africa is on our planning schedule for 2016, but we are focused on South Africa, Botswana, Victoria Falls, etc. Not going to be near Kenya. Too, too much to worry about there. Zanzibar does sound fabulously exotic!! Love that name!! Congrats on your upcoming 20th anniversary. Our 43rd is coming up next month.

For Jeff, I did get my first Telegraph news update this morning. It had lots on Nigel Farage. To be honest for my interests here in America, that individual is of very marginal value for me. BUT, parts they had on the brewing battles between the SNP leader versus the Prime Minister has some value to be watching for the future. It will be a twisting play as things evolve for how Scotland figures out its role as being a part of the UK. Or, not??

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 22,716 views for these postings.

, Sophia - No wonder we have not heard much from you, obviously still very busy getting your new place organised. Do you have time to go into lovely Chester sometimes?

LL

LL, it's been a long six months since l moved in and I'm still not completely organised!! This week the new kitchen is going in so it's been very tiring with so many workmen about.....water and electrics off and on and a great deal of dust!

I haven't been into Chester for over a month but I will be going every week when things settle down.

It's a lovely warm day here so I'm outside with the dog while sparks works his magic with the lighting!

S:)

JP,

If you travel near a Wegman's in NY, they always have fresh mussels. I've had good luck with them.

We are indeed lucky to have a Wegman's in the Ithaca-Syracuse-Rochester areas where we can find gourmet foods in an otherwise generic foods area...except for produce...these are best from our local farmers at the farmers' market. But, of course, Wegman's also buys from them!

Good Day Coolers :)

I'm now craving for mussels.....with garlic and white wine being my favourite and a crispy loaf to dip the sauce!! I've never been brave enough to attempt to cook them myself so am definitely in need of a fix!

It's been a busy week here with the new kitchen being installed but the light is finally at the end of the tunnel...apart from me now having to work out how to use the new ovens et al...so it's order in today with a bottle of wine and then to chillax with pup on the sofa...:rolleyes:

Happy Weekend

Sophia :)

Enjoy the new kitchen!

What fun to have everything new and to learn the nuances of the new appliances. I am envious. I keep fixing the old ovens because they still work. And my husband tells me that great food comes out of this old kitchen so why do we need to change it?

Tell us all about the exploits in the kitchen!

Enjoy the new kitchen!

What fun to have everything new and to learn the nuances of the new appliances. I am envious. I keep fixing the old ovens because they still work. And my husband tells me that great food comes out of this old kitchen so why do we need to change it?

Tell us all about the exploits in the kitchen!

And he best bit is having had all the necessary work done you do not need to worry about house maintenance for years! As spin says, would love to know what kind of cooker you have chosen - we did not have room for a lovely wide range in our kitchen when we moved here some 14 years ago.

Wish looking at all the pics of mussels did not trouble me - horribly allergic to them, and also crab and scallops. Funnily enough, I can eat - and love - all kinds and sizes of prawns, lobbo, langoustine etc.

I'm now craving for mussels.....with garlic and white wine being my favourite and a crispy loaf to dip the sauce!! Sophia

Appreciate and agree with Sophia for wisely liking and mentioning the cravings for mussels with wonderful sauce, bread to do the dipping, etc.

Got a little rain out here now and tomorrow here in the Midwest. BUT, the green of the trees have really come out strong. Below is a quick visuals from my iPhone yesterday out our family room door of a nearby deer, the leafs really coming out, etc. Winter is officially gone!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 199,151 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

From our family room French doors out to the brick patio, here is the uninvited visitor yesterday. Up close and personal!! All of the nearby bushes and trees have really filled out in the past couple of weeks. Summer is almost here and winter is long gone! Finally!!:

Spring2015A16_zps9tbuhpzg.jpg

To be fair it's just taken four days from ripping out the old kitchen to fitting the new including all connections.....so I'm pretty impressed!

I've chosen Neff appliances.... all at waist level which makes life a lot easier...once I've worked them all out! I'm not one for reading and digesting instructions..preferring to fiddle about...but on this occasion I fear l shall have to bite the bullet and take note as right now l can't even set the time clock! :eek:

The children are eagerly awaiting normal service with Mum's Sunday roast, so l shall have to get to grips asap! All good fun though having spent five hours today putting everything back in place with room to spare....for now :rolleyes:

We're ramping up our preparations for our upcoming safari... I finally bought another SLR body to replace the one that got fried 1-1/2 years ago in the jungles of Panama. I'll use that with my old lens (the camera got fried, but the lens survived the deluge). We both have been using mid-range P&S cameras for the past year's time, and while they work OK for general trip photos, and I love the convenience of a small camera, I continue to really miss the capabilities of my dearly departed SLR.

We'll still bring along our P&S cameras for backup, general scenery shots, video taking, etc. They are also handy because they have built-in GPS for geotagging shots automatically. I may try for some underwater shots with mine; it's a waterproof camera, so that should be handy for snorkeling when we're in Zanzibar.

Got my Malarone, and we're ordered Permethrin spray for our clothes which we should get tonight. Have to pick up a few small items yet but overall, the preparations are going as well as can be expected. Now if we can make it through the next few weeks of work...

specialcruisegirl, you are one lucky girl if it only took 4 days to remodel your kitchen. My Dad and I did that on our first house some years ago; we were pretty efficient in that we got the majority of the work done in a weekend. However, a colleague of mine has been suffering through a several month kitchen remodel that was supposed to take two weeks. Things can certainly go spectacularly wrong!

Back to food... we were away last weekend in the Finger Lakes and had a chance to visit some really nice restaurants there. We've been visiting the region since we were in school, and over the past 20+ years it's really become an amazing food and wine scene! The two dinners we had were delicious, and both paired nicely with local wines. One of them was a 5-course tasting menu, with everything sourced locally - including locally made wines, and many of the vegetables were grown in the chef's garden:

Parmesan Reggiano Soup with Shallots, Bacon and Brioche Croutons

Peekytoe Crab Tower with Asparagus, New Potatoes and Citrus Vinaigrette

Tripolini Pasta, Wild Mushrooms, Light Mushroom Cream Sauce and Truffle Oil

Pork Tenderloin with Braised Cabbage and a Crispy Potato Pancake

Arborio Rice Pudding with Citrus, Candied Pistachio and Meringue Kisses

Price - $65; with optional Wine Pairings - $35

It was an incredible steal, but we were so stuffed afterwards that we could barely move... We ended up bringing 4 cases of wine home with us, which restocked our wine fridge nicely. The Rieslings from the Finger Lakes continue to amaze us with how far they've come along in recent years. If any of you want to visit the area, let me know and I'll give you some suggestions.

Unfortunately, there is no Wegmans in Albany and no real plans for them to come here in the near future. They are all over Central NY and we see them when we visit the Finger Lakes area, but it's hard to grocery shop 3-4 hours from home. Our local Price Chopper has upped their game since Trader Joe's and Whole Foods recently came to town, so the food scene isn't as bleak as it used to be. :)

Edited by jpalbny

JP, l was very lucky with the kitchen..they did the build in the factory to fit around the appliances and got it spot on! Next big job is re-wiring the whole place so I can't do anymore until that's completed.

Mysty, I do hope Jeff didn't get a ban after the altercation last week...it's terribly quiet...

Still here ....

A touch disheartened to see such poor welcomes on other threads to new posters. I wish I understood why people take trouble to post negatively and nastily. I guess one simply starts not to bother.

Jeff

Don't stop believing in the goodness that is out there! Hang in there Jeff! Don't let the nasties get to you! The army of Pollyannas needs you! :)

JP, l was very lucky with the kitchen..they did the build in the factory to fit around the appliances and got it spot on! Next big job is re-wiring the whole place so I can't do anymore until that's completed.

Mysty, I do hope Jeff didn't get a ban after the altercation last week...it's terribly quiet...

Sophia, he's baaaaaack. :)

Sophia, he's baaaaaack. :)

I was a bit confused by being called Waldo and had to look him up. I'm so use to receiving abuse, I thought you'd gone off me.

He appears to be someone slightly thinner and much more attractive than me that everyone is looking for.

I am mesmerized by some of the posts. Apparently some are or were, a tad too over the edge. However, I can't accept everything a face value. My nature is to ask questions to try and determine facts. I try not to devalue someone's feelings.

I was a bit confused by being called Waldo and had to look him up. I'm so use to receiving abuse, I thought you'd gone off me.

He appears to be someone slightly thinner and much more attractive than me that everyone is looking for.

My mistake Jeff! I thought the "Where's Waldo?" series of puzzle books were popular everywhere. My son used to love them! And Waldo wore a very distinctive hat! :) I most certainly did not intend to heap abuse on you! Quite the opposite! I was hoping you had not gone to ground!

I am mesmerized by some of the posts. Apparently some are or were, a tad too over the edge. However, I can't accept everything a face value. My nature is to ask questions to try and determine facts. I try not to devalue someone's feelings.

I see that entirely in your posts. I think however others sometimes ask questions in order to ellicit further facts on which to hang a bit of further abuse. I think you can clearly see which is which. :)

In this case however, I'm not certain the OP was looking for any further help in understanding who was wrong. The damage I think was done. They simply sought tea and sympathy and sought to warn others not to expect much more than she had received. I'm not certain she was after an autopsy to establish the cause of death.

:)