Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Jeff, you have the best of all worlds.

I liked your reference to Bovril.

Is Charles in a bad place due to his attempt at exerting his influence? Or is it somewhat disingenuous as much ado about nothing? or is the impact more about what his views are? Is he supposed to be apolitical?

He is supposed to be apolitical, and some have cast this as being not what he should be doing. But Blair has never worn a uniform and Charles is not only ex-service but is the Colonel in Chief of many men and women and I would have thought him entitled of all people to privately speak on their behalf if their safety is in question.

I think this reflects really well on him, but others will take the opposite view.

Jeff

Terry, I know you read the British press and would have read today of the publishing of Prince Charles "Black Spider" letters? Some of the anti-Royals press has cast this as proof that he meddles and interferes, which is something he has always been pretty open about. One of this longest letters was a personal private plea to Tony Blair that our troops were under-equipped for Iraq. To me, this proves exactly what he should be, whether one agrees with every one of his views or not that he is passionate and cares and tries to use his apparent little influence for what he sees is "goodness". Some of his letters clearly get ignored.

You asked for some more piccies. As I'm away from main base where all my piccies live, these are all internet piccies except the top which is a current piccy from the bacony a few minutes ago. There's also a piccy of the lights on the cliff walk in the eveing. Terry if you post an email so I can send it to you privately - no probs ... otherwise I'd prefer not. Sadly CC doesn't enable pm's.

Sorry, Jeff, after your warnings against the Daily Mail, I had not checked for any UK headlines this morning. BUT, from checking the Standard, Telegraph and Daily Mail, they were all playing this "Black Spider" letters story very, very big. Even the more liberal Guardian had a major headline of "Prince Charles 'black spider' memos reveal lobbying of Tony Blair".

What are your top-rated, best UK media sources? Here, we cannot get The Times without a paid subscription. Most all of the rest are free and available.

There is a legitimate "debate question" for what or what not should the Royals be allowed to do for "involvement" in UK politics. My historic view/understanding is that under a Constitution Monarchy, they are not to be active and/or involved in such "politics". My view is that even if the "cause" is good and worthy, there should be a sharp and clear line between the role of the Prime Minister . . . versus . . . those members of the Royal family.

From

http://www.royal.gov.uk/monarchuk/howthemonarchyworks/whatisconstitutionalmonarchy.aspx

this official website notes in part: "As a system of government, constitutional monarchy separates the Head of State’s ceremonial and official duties from party politics. The Sovereign/Monarch governs according to the constitution - that is, according to rules, rather than according to his or her own free will. The United Kingdom does not have a written constitution which sets out the rights and duties of the Sovereign, they are established by conventions. As a constitutional monarch, the Sovereign must remain politically neutral."

There are some comments from other sources about the Royals and their ". . . right to be consulted, right to advise and right to warn". For "ceremonial monarchies", such as the UK has, it seems there can debate about how much should one of the Royals being promoting their personal opinions on such political, style and taste issues such as the environment, military operations, architecture, etc.

Loving your added coastal pictures. Unlike Candy, I have not figured out your exact location. Send any confidential info to be at TLCohio at aol dot com. I will protect my sources.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 107,820 views for this posting.

Jeff.

your secret is really safe with me.

I wrote it on a piece of paper, wadded it up and ate it with a healthy dose of peas.

that's my secret agent training I learned when I got my decoder ring in the rice krispies box. much more intense training than what I learned from the prize in the cracker jacks.

Sorry, Jeff, after your warnings against the Daily Mail, I had not checked for any UK headlines this morning. BUT, from checking the Standard, Telegraph and Daily Mail, they were all playing this "Black Spider" letters story very, very big. Even the more liberal Guardian had a major headline of "Prince Charles 'black spider' memos reveal lobbying of Tony Blair".

What are your top-rated, best UK media sources? Here, we cannot get The Times without a paid subscription. Most all of the rest are free and available.

There is a legitimate "debate question" for what or what not should the Royals be allowed to do for "involvement" in UK politics. My historic view/understanding is that under a Constitution Monarchy, they are not to be active and/or involved in such "politics". My view is that even if the "cause" is good and worthy, there should be a sharp and clear line between the role of the Prime Minister . . . versus . . . those members of the Royal family.

From

http://www.royal.gov.uk/monarchuk/howthemonarchyworks/whatisconstitutionalmonarchy.aspx

this official website notes in part: "As a system of government, constitutional monarchy separates the Head of State’s ceremonial and official duties from party politics. The Sovereign/Monarch governs according to the constitution - that is, according to rules, rather than according to his or her own free will. The United Kingdom does not have a written constitution which sets out the rights and duties of the Sovereign, they are established by conventions. As a constitutional monarch, the Sovereign must remain politically neutral."

There are some comments from other sources about the Royals and their ". . . right to be consulted, right to advise and right to warn". For "ceremonial monarchies", such as the UK has, it seems there can debate about how much should one of the Royals being promoting their personal opinions on such political, style and taste issues such as the environment, military operations, architecture, etc.

Loving your added coastal pictures. Unlike Candy, I have not figured out your exact location. Send any confidential info to be at TLCohio at aol dot com. I will protect my sources.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 107,820 views for this posting.

Terry,

Every Tuesday evening the Prime Minister has an audience with the Queen. I suspect it isn't about knitting patterns. It's about the running of the country and every PM has said they use her balance and experience as a sounding board.

Sadly, the majority of people are unable to see anything other than black or white so cannot consider things sensibly. There is a real difference between meddling in politics and arguing for troops to be properly equipped when senior military express their fears to their colonel in chief.

They can't do right really can they. If they do nothing they are disinterested and not getting involved and if they do they are interfering. They largely ignore him anyway so I see no downside.

So far as papers are concerned then have a look through ..

http://www.thebigproject.co.uk/news/#.VVOL2-e9KSM

Jeff

Jeff,

Still dealing with Bromley, but had an epiphany several days ago. If this really is sundowners syndrome, then perhaps treating it with some of the more alternative modalities would work. So we started with Melatonin at night. The first night no change, but I increased the dose slightly and the dog is far more relaxed and sleeps much better. Internet research also provided me with another remedy, lignans, which is thought to have an impact on cushiness disease in dogs. So this morning, she had her first dose of flaxseed lignans. I hope it helps. All of course, to make her more comfortable without being so toxic and sedating that she can no longer get up.

Thanks for letting me vent about the dog. As a former hospice nurse, I know that making this journey at the end of life is part of the nature of things. Just harder to watch in a dog as they can't tell you what hurts or makes them feel better. Bromley is closer to the end now, but still seems to be enjoying her life as best I can tell.

Spin, it's so sad when we see our furry babies unwell as we feel so helpless. You don't need to worry about venting on here, most of us will have you in our thoughts and send hugs to Bromley for a peaceful end with safe travels over the Rainbow Bridge when that time comes.

Just a year after l lost DH my beloved shepherd passed away on my birthday of all days...he had been such a rock for me and that very morning was due to go to the vet for investigation as l knew he wasn't himself. Intuition must have told me that l needed to get a new pup which l did just two months before and I am so happy that l did that because big boy taught the little one so much in that short time they were together....result being that l now have another rock that l adore and protect.

Keep strong and vent all you like.

Sophia :)

Thanks Spin, .... I appreciate the respect of privacy however tenuous .... :)

I just called the lady and explained we won't be selling and didn't wish to waste her time. I think combining Singapore, with our main country base and this beach base is an ideal combination that seems a shame to reduce.

I've got a fresh seafood delivery by fedex tomorrow morning including several ton of fresh moules so we're going to have a fishy day or two. I've ordered some sea bass as well.

Luckily our favourite of all seafood is plain old head-on prawns (shrimp?) and in the UK they're cooked and frozen on the boats so are normally perfect. We prefer it to lobster, langoustine, crevettes and crab soI've ordered loads and loads!

Jeff

Right decision Jeffers....how can you leave that priceless location...it's just beautiful...besides all that palava...us coolers are hoping for an invite at some point...;)

Have fun....whilst I'm in the throws of organised chaos here as the new kitchen project gets underway....thank the lord for Pizza Hut! :eek:

Jeff.

your secret is really safe with me.

I wrote it on a piece of paper, wadded it up and ate it with a healthy dose of peas.

that's my secret agent training I learned when I got my decoder ring in the rice krispies box. much more intense training than what I learned from the prize in the cracker jacks.

Spinnaker2 I think we took the same spy master program. I am not a fan of peas so I marinate my coded messages in a very dry gin martini with lots of olives. Goes down a treat after that! :) Take care of yourself! You are in my thoughts!

Right decision Jeffers....how can you leave that priceless location...it's just beautiful...besides all that palava...us coolers are hoping for an invite at some point...;)

Have fun....whilst I'm in the throws of organised chaos here as the new kitchen project gets underway....thank the lord for Pizza Hut! :eek:

Soapy,

Wifey is happy here even though the some of natives are "revolting" ...... ;)

Tell us about the kitchen ... I hope you have installed a pizza oven.

Jeff

Soapy,

Wifey is happy here even though the some of natives are "revolting" ...... ;)

Tell us about the kitchen ... I hope you have installed a pizza oven.

Jeff

Maybe you should revolt back and start a nudist colony!!;):eek:

Pizza oven? Only just got room for a normal one...but so far it's all looking good even though I'm still washing up in the bathroom sink....!!

S:)

Maybe you should revolt back and start a nudist colony!!;):eek:

Pizza oven? Only just got room for a normal one...but so far it's all looking good even though I'm still washing up in the bathroom sink....!!

S:)

No, the luv second home owners down here .......:rolleyes:

http://www.pizzatoday.com/recipes/

I think you need a good dose of pizza recipes ..... as you know I only do Neapolitan but I do love looking at the piccies ...

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Yes. Thanks Dan.

posts were not worthy of this space.

you remedied the issue.

Agreed. I'm a regular lurker on this thread.

Shocked by blatant harassment.

Was unable to report yesterday evening, using a work device that is blocked for login on sites like CC. Came back just now to report if not already done.

Thank you Dan.

Terry, Every Tuesday evening the Prime Minister has an audience with the Queen. I suspect it isn't about knitting patterns. It's about the running of the country and every PM has said they use her balance and experience as a sounding board. Sadly, the majority of people are unable to see anything other than black or white so cannot consider things sensibly. There is a real difference between meddling in politics and arguing for troops to be properly equipped when senior military express their fears to their colonel in chief. They can't do right really can they. If they do nothing they are disinterested and not getting involved and if they do they are interfering. They largely ignore him anyway so I see no downside. So far as papers are concerned then have a look through ..

http://www.thebigproject.co.uk/news/#.VVOL2-e9KSM

Jeff

Appreciate this excellent link to these various UK media sources. I have bookmarked this web resource. BUT, still interested in Jeff's views for which of these various British media sources do the best job in reporting and covering the many, varied issues there. Tell us more!! Why and how? Clearly I know you are not a fan of the Daily Mail.

The questions over the Prince's communications to the PM and government officials got more coverage on American TV this am. Big story on NBC's Today Show this morning. Agree with Jeff that many people only see things in "black versus white" terms, but I am a person who understands about the many "shades of gray" associated with various complex, challenging issues. This NBC report gave the Guardian newspaper big credit for a ten-year battle to gain access to these public documents.

Look forward to more pictures from your coastal site. Keep it coming with more details. Hint! Hint!

Love the mussels photo. Personally, I like great sauce with the mussels and then being able to use bread to soak up that tasty extra sauce. Best mussels ever for me? At the Half Door Inn in Dingle out on that famed peninsula in the scenic SW coast of Ireland.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 199,114 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Appreciate this excellent link to these various UK media sources. I have bookmarked this web resource. BUT, still interested in Jeff's views for which of these various British media sources do the best job in reporting and covering the many, varied issues there. Tell us more!! Why and how? Clearly I know you are not a fan of the Daily Mail.

The questions over the Prince's communications to the PM and government officials got more coverage on American TV this am. Big story on NBC's Today Show this morning. Agree with Jeff that many people only see things in "black versus white" terms, but I am a person who understands about the many "shades of gray" associated with various complex, challenging issues. This NBC report gave the Guardian newspaper big credit for a ten-year battle to gain access to these public documents.

Look forward to more pictures from your coastal site. Keep it coming with more details. Hint! Hint!

Love the mussels photo. Personally, I like great sauce with the mussels and then being able to use bread to soak up that tasty extra sauce. Best mussels ever for me? At the Half Door Inn in Dingle out on that famed peninsula in the scenic SW coast of Ireland.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 199,114 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Terry,

The Daily Mail is a terrible paper. The paper with in my view the best balance and quality of editors and journalists I'm afraid is The Times and Sunday Times and well worth the subscription.

Jeff

Hi Coolers ....

Today was too blowy and a bit rainy for The Balcony ... and so it was downstairs to a proper table and chairs.

I haven't cut the hedge yet so there is only a little bit of sea above the hedge. But I will do the hedge over the weekend if I do not drink too much wine.

I am in the Good Boy books today as I made her some moules and she tells me that she is really pleased she married a bloke with mussels.

BAFB7F3C-2366-4DB0-915C-46F7BC1A98A0.jpg

33D1DA23-AEF8-4481-BBC6-72DD82A3EC00.jpg

2877DED6-67EB-4071-8D71-4714F875276B.jpg

Terry, The paper with in my view the best balance and quality of editors and journalists I'm afraid is The Times and Sunday Times and well worth the subscription. Jeff

Appreciate Jeff's follow-up and strong endorsement for The Times. It would cost me about $150 a year for that subscription. Now sure, right now, that it is worth that much to me. I already have paid subscriptions with the NY Times and Wall Street Journal, plus our local Columbus newspaper. PLUS, lots and lots of free stuff. BUT, will keep an eye on them and their product. And . . . .

In checking your Times in London today, I noticed this editorial with a very clear headline and message: "The Man who will be King: Prince Charles performs a valuable role for unfashionable causes, yet he also meddles in politics. He would be wise to keep out".

YES, The Times sums up well this situation, in my view, from over here in the USA.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 177,644 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I haven't cut the hedge yet so there is only a little bit of sea above the hedge. But I will do the hedge over the weekend if I do not drink too much wine.

Appreciate the great mussel pictures. Looks super good and fun!!

BUT, yes be very, very careful in trimming those hedges, especially if drinking any wine. You want to cut the hedges, but, not any parts of your body. Good luck!!

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 28,239 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Thanks Terry,

I've shared these articles from The Times for you to read:

Charles lobbied Blair to alter health policy

The Man who will be King

The reason why the opinion in the editorial is wrong in my view is that it overlooks the point that almost every opinion Prince Charles may express to a politician or indeed to anyone will be characterised as political interference. This would disbar him on commenting on anything. That would be wrong in my view. What would be the point of him.

You may find the morning briefings from the Telegraph of interest. Most of the cabinet and many senior politicions make it their first read of the day. It's free.

Daily Telegraph Morning Briefing

https://pages.email3.telegraph.co.uk/webApp/signup?pt=Edi_Pol_New&WT.mc_id=e_DM17784&WT.tsrc=email&etype=Edi_Pol_New&utm_source=email&utm_medium=Edi_Pol_New_2015_05_14&utm_campaign=DM17784

Jeff

Have to agree about the Times and Sunday Times - a subscription in the UK does save quite a lot on the regular price. I think at present it is £7 a week for the papers- we don't read them on the net.

So pleased you are not selling the seaside home, Jeff - you do seem to spend quite a lot of time there, as evidenced by the food and view photos, and the view alone keeps me going sometimes, as we do not live near the sea anymore.

Regarding saying where one lives, which I think Terry mentioned, although I am a complete internet ignoramus I have always felt that it is a mistake to let the world know more than the vaguest reference to your home address; maybe I am paranoid, but have read horror stories about people being burgled because they said where they lived, and then when they were going on holiday!

Good news on the housing front for both our children, Sophia - one does not now need to move, and the other has sold and bought (fingers crossed), and they will be in the Lake District, so looking forward to visiting. No wonder we have not heard much from you, obviously still very busy getting your new place organised. Do you have time to go into lovely Chester sometimes?

LL

Thanks Terry, I've shared these articles from The Times for you to read:

Charles lobbied Blair to alter health policy

The Man who will be King

You may find the morning briefings from the Telegraph of interest. Most of the cabinet and many senior politicions make it their first read of the day. It's free.

Daily Telegraph Morning Briefing

Jeff

Appreciate Jeff's sending of the full text for both of these items from The Times. YES, the editorial makes excellent comments for the smart wisdom of the Queen in not trying to get involved in "politics". The details for how the Prince was pushing his "alternative medicine" were somewhat concerning. Can't recall where Charlie got his medical degree!!

Did sign up for the political updates from the Telegraph. I read that paper a decent amount. They have good travel, etc., articles.

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 107,997 views for this posting.

Appreciate Jeff's sending of the full text for both of these items from The Times. YES, the editorial makes excellent comments for the smart wisdom of the Queen in not trying to get involved in "politics". The details for how the Prince was pushing his "alternative medicine" were somewhat concerning. Can't recall where Charlie got his medical degree!!

Did sign up for the political updates from the Telegraph. I read that paper a decent amount. They have good travel, etc., articles.

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 107,997 views for this posting.

Terry,

The DT Morning Briefing is a summary of the mornings pertinent political events and commentary from all sources, not just the DT. The previous editor built it's prestige and reputation in political circles. T will be perfect for you because it will give you a really good strategic flavour and tone of where the flavour of comment is currently going.

Jeff