Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Curry time now after two large G & T'S Husband and I both love street food in Singapore, last time we were there most impressed as girl who served us was wearing a Scotland football top which made us laugh.

Apologies for earlier but I get so annoyed that many English people think we are all Scot Nats.

There is absolutely no reason at all to apologise ..... as even if I were being the pickiest of picklets there was nothing in the slightest wrong with anything you said imho. :D

On the subject of Singapore, there was a very relevant picture from Singapore this week. A British Bull Dog skateboarding in the CBD .......

I hope it lifts the spirits of Spinikins who will be worried about Bromley. :)

8381B499-3123-47D6-B681-EC6B60F14120.jpg

Amidst the political arena let us not forget the wonderful VE Day celebrations this weekend and those veterans who so proudly turned out. Sophia :)

YES, an important celebration of the 70th anniversary on VE Day. They did an interesting fly-over in Washington, DC for military aircraft from that period on Friday.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!! This is a biggie here in America. Is it celebrated in the UK and other parts of the world? Mother's Day is much bigger here than in June when Father's Day gets celebrated. Fair or deserved?

Enjoyed Jeff's editorial page cartoon. Fun and interesting!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 22,219 views for these postings.

Though I have been enjoying Jeff's interesting political rants almost as much as his juicy food images ( and they may have a common denominator) while browsing the CC rules of engagement for other purposes I noticed a posting by CC from 2008 indicating that posts with political points or positions will be removed ( CC in particular referenced posts about turmoil in Canada related to Quebec, as well as posts about environmental ravaging by humanity, though of course in 2008 there definitely could have been other CC offenses committed, especially by Americans).

So I am curious if the Watercooler has a special libertarian exemption to the "no political postings" rule ( as long as no four-letter words etc are used) or if that rule has since been repealed, , or if the few people reading it are just laid-back, including the moderator, and have not bothered to fuss about it? After all, as pointed out, you can 'leave the table' anytime you want.

Though I have been enjoying Jeff's interesting political rants almost as much as his juicy food images ( and they may have a common denominator) while browsing the CC rules of engagement for other purposes I noticed a posting by CC from 2008 indicating that posts with political points or positions will be removed ( CC in particular referenced posts about turmoil in Canada related to Quebec, as well as posts about environmental ravaging by humanity, though of course in 2008 there definitely could have been other CC offenses committed, especially by Americans).

So I am curious if the Watercooler has a special libertarian exemption to the "no political postings" rule ( as long as no four-letter words etc are used) or if that rule has since been repealed, , or if the few people reading it are just laid-back, including the moderator, and have not bothered to fuss about it? After all, as pointed out, you can 'leave the table' anytime you want.

I'm a bit put out that you feel the need to raise a topic that might be best left along ehh? And if you enjoy the thread why look a gift horse in the mouth? :confused:

It is a cooler so is allowed to go "off topic" because there isn't a topic to go off of. There is a line about these things that as I understand it is imprecise, but largely dependant on common sense. What sort of person would wish to curtail the banter here and that imprecise thread of gold where we can discuss things and all learn from each other. Many of us don't get to meet interesting people often enough and some hope to me some in places like this.

I guess for those that might wish to use the "I am offended" method of pooing on threads or other posters then they will hit the "report" button and a feather duster will be applied if appropriate. I hope that the other rules is if there are people here and topics here one doesn't enjoy (not pointing at you ... just stating a principle) then leave it alone and leave us alone.

You could think of the cooler as being a trash can where it is a place to put stuff that would contaminate other threads and if so a degree of muckiness might be tolerated as long as there are no flies or rats.

article-1080944-00B0BDE100000259-718_468x309.jpg

I think your description of my posts as being "rants" does qualify as being offensive because I guess you intended it to be? :( If it wasn't intended to offend - then it isn't. :) Just steer clear of the thread if you don't like it is my advice.

I'll second that.

I'll third that.

it is such a shame (though) that what should be a day for honouring those that sacrificed, seems instead to have been hijacked by such cheap pantomime type TV events that has little to do with the day.

I want to see those medals, and I want to see those proud people and I want to hear and be reminded about their stories from those that can. I can do without "Glee" type acts and people pretending to be Vera Lyn. I want it to be about reflection and not about rather cheap and irritating opportunistic entertainment. I think that it is disrespectful to what we should be remembering and what we should be pensive about. It also misses the opportunity of helping future generations what must be avoided. It wasn't wonderful. It wasn't lovely. It was horrible and we should remember those that did what they did and not contaminate it with utter rubbish.

I guess I am just a grumpy git.

ps. This is a rant ..:)

ps. This is a rant ..:)

No it's not - it's a heartfelt opinion on a subject much more important than the usual things people rant about (like smoking, the wrong type of caviar, children or whatever else they need to blow off about to make themselves seem discriminating and important).

For those, like me, who have worn the uniform and walked the walk it appals me too when the act of remembrance or VE commemoration becomes a media circus. None of us on here can possibly imagine what our forebears withstood and I feel their sacrifices could be portrayed with a bit more dignity.

No it's not - it's a heartfelt opinion on a subject much more important than the usual things people rant about (like smoking, the wrong type of caviar, children or whatever else they need to blow off about to make themselves seem discriminating and important).

For those, like me, who have worn the uniform and walked the walk it appals me too when the act of remembrance or VE commemoration becomes a media circus. None of us on here can possibly imagine what our forebears withstood and I feel their sacrifices could be portrayed with a bit more dignity.

I agree.....especially with the first paragraph!! Today's services l think were a fitting tribute although I didn't like Charlie appearing to be directing traffic from his salute podium and only having to step out of his car whilst the vets had to troop past. The concert last night I feel may have been aimed toward the younger generation of today who are far more removed than us old gits ;)

The vets appeared to be happy enough with the events and proud to display their medals....and as one Beeb reporter mentioned....we may not see this again...albeit us old schoolers will never forget.

Sophia :)

...Today's services l think were a fitting tribute...

Agreed. I always feel particularly humbled when listening to the veterans' tales often recounted with self-deprecation, humour and dignity.

Per Ardua

And in recent years I have been much heartened by really young people having learnt so much about the Great Wars than the rather older (say now 50 or so), and how many poppies we see worn now in November, etc.

I do (just) remember VE day, and going round with friends to other neighbours, but I was too young to really appreciate it. My DH, being just that bit older, was well aware of what it all meant.

And in recent years I have been much heartened by really young people having learnt so much about the Great Wars than the rather older (say now 50 or so), and how many poppies we see worn now in November, etc.

I do (just) remember VE day, and going round with friends to other neighbours, but I was too young to really appreciate it. My DH, being just that bit older, was well aware of what it all meant.

Hi LL...hope all is well with you.

I don't remember that day but my Dad who is 89 does and he's really enjoyed this weekend....and l can't imagine what his feelings are, apparently he missed the celebrations as he was still in India in the RAF and has told me that VJ Day was his lasting memory.

I do think that some of our current generation are in touch with it all...my kids spring to mind being very respectful at the age of 35 and very patriotic.

Yesterday there was a documentary about Churchills Funeral and l do remember that day in 1965 in the company of elders who actually celebrated with champagne....old school again l guess.

Agreed. I always feel particularly humbled when listening to the veterans' tales often recounted with self-deprecation, humour and dignity.

Per Ardua

TTS....I often wonder how they feel when they look at what is happening in the world today.

I get very annoyed with it all at times...very frustrating in many ways!

S :)

YES, an important celebration of the 70th anniversary on VE Day. They did an interesting fly-over in Washington, DC for military aircraft from that period on Friday.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!! This is a biggie here in America. Is it celebrated in the UK and other parts of the world? Mother's Day is much bigger here than in June when Father's Day gets celebrated. Fair or deserved?

Enjoyed Jeff's editorial page cartoon. Fun and interesting!!

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 22,219 views for these postings.

Terry, Mother's Day here is big business....it's March for us. The pressure on the kids to buy is way ott....we as a family have stopped going out to places that charge double for a Sunday lunch and florists that also double their prices.

As we are currently discussing the old days, l have to say that I'm more than happy with a card and simple gift such as a handkerchief or a small chocolate bar...the thought is always there at the end of the day.

Father's Day has never been celebrated in the same way over here....hopefully it will remain so...fair or not!

Appreciate Sophia's added details on Mother's Day and these many posts on VE Day, etc. For "political" concerns/comments, my viewpoint is that much of these "discussions" involving Jeff, me and others are about "HISTORY" and current events. When you are traveling to other nations, by cruise or otherwise, it is very helpful to understand that background for what is going on there, why and how. Knowing that "historic context" is vital for appreciating better what you are seeing and experiencing in these various foreign nations, etc.

Earlier, I mentioned HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY and noted that this is a biggie here in America. For other parts of the world, any added info?

This morning, my wife and friends were involving in putting together a Mother's Day Brunch through the Coalition for the Homeless. The objective is to honor mothers and their families for those not as fortunate as we are. There were nice flowers, a wonderful brunch, great desserts, books and balloons for the kids, healthcare help, family pictures being taken for those honored, etc. See a few of my photo samples/examples below to celebrate Mother's Day.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 107,454 views for this posting.

At today's Mother's Day Brunch through the Coalition for the Homeless in Columbus, Ohio, here are few visuals samples, including nice flowers, desserts, crafts for the kids, etc., to honor mothers and their important work/role in our society.:

Spring2015A13_zpsny3khr11.jpg

Spring2015A9_zpsq7y1fi5s.jpg

Spring2015A8_zpsyr60ktdw.jpg

Spring2015A11_zpslnbkyhhe.jpg

Spring2015A10_zpspobichcx.jpg

Spring2015A12_zpsty3bwpf0.jpg

article-1080944-00B0BDE100000259-718_468x309.jpg

Jeff,good to see you still posting pictures of your culinary offerings!

I hope Wifey has not lost her appetite

You're posting more like UK1 every day.

I do miss him.

Edited by Mr Luxury

Thank you, Jeff, for the remembrances of VE Day. It s not widely (almost rarely) observed here. I remember it well, as my mother tearfully--albeit overjoyed--told us Daddy would now be home soon.

Thank you, Jeff, for the remembrances of VE Day. It s not widely (almost rarely) observed here. I remember it well, as my mother tearfully--albeit overjoyed--told us Daddy would now be home soon.

Lovely memory .... I'm of the 50's and so I have none of my own memories.

I believe it has much greater significance in the UK because of the incessant bombing, evacuations etc.

It must have bee wonderful to get your dad back.

Jeff

A short word on why I think some 'political' and similar posts are allowed on here - the majority of those who post strike me as people with a lack of pomposity, a sense of humour, and willingness to at least listen to the views of others without getting angry and 'sounding off'. And mostly a kind heart.

Every so often, if wifey had been behaving herself or if I feel guilty about something that I need to make amends about I'll take her up to London for a couple of nights and use some points on the Intercontinental. It normally involves a lot of us complaining about how much London has changed since we lived in the very center etc.

On our last visit we were walking through St James Park and there were some soldiers practising their marching along Birdcage Walk and as they passed I was really shocked at how young they all looked. Some looked like they were too young to shave. One of the lads caught my eye as he marched past and smiled. It really upset me. They were younger than my youngest son who I considered would be far too young to be wearing a uniform. I think it rather bought home to me the stories of war and what we do to our kids. To be honest, I cannot get that particular lad and the rest of them out of my mind.

The VE day celebrations, the highlight of which appeared to be a lengthy concert where people could promote themselves seemed a reasonable thing if there had been something much more appropriate and serious and substantial before, for the whole day.

I found myselves wondering what those soldiers in particular and those families and next of kin receiving the terrible telegrams would want us to do for them for the rest of the day. We'd seen the VE day service in the Abbey, and no one could have been anything less than moved by that lovely soldier in the wheelchair struggling to stand up - as it was the right way - to speak to the Queen .... his Queen.

It occured to me that most would like us to use their testament to do our best to ensure each new generation of youngsters understood what these wars were really about and not just the street celebrations ar the end.

I think that what they would like is for some organisations to coordinate a world-wide if possible "Peace Day" type of celebration each year perhaps on a single weekend day - the same for everyone World-wide so it would be a shared experience but produced in each country - where a day on one of the TV channels (eg for us perhaps BBC2) was devoted to dozens of short testimonies of those that were effected by their wars. So we would hear from our soldiers and their families, and in Germany for example they would hear from theirs. Perhaps this should be something the UN could sponsor. A Peace Day. So an old soldier, wearing his medals and even with a tear in his eye would spend ten minutes talking about his life before the war and what he did, how he volunteered or was "called up", an account of his war and what he "saw" and "experienced". Recollections of lost comrades and then at the end an account of how he came home and how he or she celebrated VE day and now how his or her war has effected their lives since.

Whilst all these people are still alive they should all be allowed to give that testimony until you have say a 10 hour programme of continuous account. And all school children in the world should be basically coerced into listening to it once a year or so to be reminded what was actually is. And then at the end of all that perhaps the concert. On the first school day after that they should discuss what they learned.

I think that educational and reflection element was the element that should be the focus of such a day and what seemed to be missing.

Jeff

That was eloquently beautiful! If we didn't have the attention span of gnats, it would be a wonderful way to celebrate and honour our vets, our military and their families. Lovely thoughts though!

I think that educational and reflection element was the element that should be the focus of such a day and what seemed to be missing. Jeff

YES!! Appreciate so much Jeff's very thoughtful post. The "educational" aspects about our history are somewhat hard to share. Most forget how many lives were lost for the UK (and other countries) during both WWI and WWII.

We had a famed General from nearby to us in Ohio named William Tecumseh Sherman who has this famous quote attributed to him. His expression was "War is hell." Sad, but true. Part of the rest of the quote was: "I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation."

Sherman was famed for his march through Georgia and the Carolinas that undermined the Confederacy's ability to continue fighting. Sherman served under General Ulysses S. Grant in 1862 and 1863 during the Vicksburg/Mississippi River campaigns. Sherman received recognition for his outstanding command of military strategy as well as criticism for the harshness of the "scorched earth" policies.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 198,953 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

To pick up on a point from Terry. As a professional senior (now retired) military surgeon one thing (among many!) that irritates is the alacrity of those who shout for military action from the shelter of their front room's armchair. I would like to take these people and have them stand beside me and my colleagues as we try to put broken young bodies back together, or piece together enough bits to identify the ex-human being whose corporeal jigsaw ends up on our tables.

However, I would also say that since I joined in 1978 the general public estimation of the Armed Forces has risen immeasurably and I think the recent adventures in Iraq and Afghanistan have demonstrated that the professionalism of the British military remains exemplary; indeed the same applies to our allies in those wars.

Good aftrnoon Coolies,

Well as this morning on the beach cam down at our place at Seaside showed a nice bit of sun, we bit the bullet and decided to decamp down there for a few days leaving really late tonight ie about 1am so that others don't have to put up with me and my grumpiness on the roads. As she is going to be living a bit rougher down there (smaller kitchen) - I made her a quick roast shoulder of lamb with Rosso gravy with some goose fat spuds and half a steamed fresh un-messed with cauli - although I'm hoping for some fish and seafood down there. Here's hoping for a nice few days. :)

This is the pic a few minutes ago from bedroom beachcam.

DB50F456-F6E5-4DB8-80C9-6B325236F53D.jpg

BC97D861-F006-42DE-B674-688D9CB76881.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff