Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Is voting electronic in England? If so, is that only in major cities or ??? Trying to determine how long it will take to count all of the votes.

Thanks!

Hi,

No electronic voting. Only postal and in person using marks on paper. Some results will start by 11pm ish.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

So is this a "hung parliament" then? What happens now?

As you know we have no written constitution and so things are not "precise".

What I believe would happen if the results are as they appear from the exit polls is that Cameron would remain as PM as he has "the largest number of seats". There would be a Queens speech and Conservatives would continue to attempt to govern.

Essentially the only the event that would cause him to resign as PM is if there is a call for "a vote of no confidence" and if the government/PM were then to lose it. If he did it would indicate he no longer had the support of Parliament and he would have to resign. It isn't clear whether this would probably trigger a fresh election or whether another grouping would "have a go". The problem is that Labour couldn't form a formal coalition with SNP, but they do know that the SNP would never vote against them on issues that are within their "red lines".

That to the best of my speculations is the way things would progress.

Does that help?

Jeff

EDIT: ......so yes it is called a "hung Parliament" :)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Yes, it helps! That sounds something like what happens here with a minority government. Sometimes they work for a while and sometimes they fail almost immediately. Here's hoping things work out for all!

First result declared in Sunderland after just 50 minutes of close of poll. A Labour hold in a safe Labour seat ... with UKIP into second place .....

Jeff

Seems like the prediction is 316 seats for the Conservatives. At the risk of asking a sensitive question Jeff, which way were you leaning?

Seems like the prediction is 316 seats for the Conservatives. At the risk of asking a sensitive question Jeff, which way were you leaning?

It was always my view that whilst Labour supporters might want to vote for Labour as a party they were never daft enough to want to see Ed Balls and Ed Milliband running the country and I was always totally perplexed by the forecasts. In self-defence when I was asked to predict the Scottish independence vote I was correct to (from recall) 0.2% ... and I didn't see anyone any closer.

Don't mind answering at all.

Our natural leanings use to be towards Conservative, but my wife and I haven't voted this time. To a degree this is because we feel that we probably belong to a group that doesn't exist called "compassionate conservatism" and no party currently meets our needs so why vote?

Jeff

That sentiment is one I understand. I don't like the party system. It is a problem here as well. You vote locally and it counts toward the national numbers. Even if the local candidate is a putz you need to vote for him/her in order to get the seat count. I would much prefer to vote for an individual based on that person's values and ideology. No parties, all elected members vote as they feel. And you vote for a leader independently from the local rep.

That sentiment is one I understand. I don't like the party system. It is a problem here as well. You vote locally and it counts toward the national numbers. Even if the local candidate is a putz you need to vote for him/her in order to get the seat count. I would much prefer to vote for an individual based on that person's values and ideology. No parties, all elected members vote as they feel. And you vote for a leader independently from the local rep.

I know my MP personally and he has just retired. He was a long-serving Cabinet Minister and a really lovely man. We use to chat and email regularly. We shared a quirky sense of humour. Funnily enough I also have known his best friend since I was a kid who was also a prominent MP. He however left under a sad expenses cloud.

When I voted, I voted for him personally. I however feel strongly about the whipping system where although you vote for an individual to represent you, their first loyalty is to their whip. They keep telling us that we're voting for a Prime Minister, but of course we have no say.

So I agree with you totally.

:)

I sense that this is an election in which many people voted against the possibility of a Miliband Prime Minister. Which is completely understandable. Labour has a history of choosing wholly unelectable leaders - Foot, Kinnock and now Miliband (for the next few hours anyway). The only time in my memory where they have selected a charismatic, plausible leader (Blair - and, boy, were we fooled with that one) they did very well.

Anyway, in this house at least, there is a palpable sense of relief.

:D

Well ... my big regret was that I listened to wifey when I put my bet on in April on an overall majority. I wanted to put £100 on but I was told clearly it must be only £30 otherwise just like my share-buying I would put the mockers on it. I got 9/1! I wish I'd shopped around now.

Still we'll have to wait and see if they make it over the line ..... knowing my luck they'll be one seat down.

This was me and my croque and wine at 04:30 .........

A05FE99B-1C80-400E-8ECE-2B434993C8A9.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

:D

Well ... my big regret was that I listened to wifey when I put my bet on in April on an overall majority. I wanted to put £100 on but I was told clearly it must be only £30 otherwise just like my share-buying I would put the mockers on it. I got 9/1! I wish I'd shopped around now.

Still we'll have to wait and see if they make it over the line ..... knowing my luck they'll be one seat down.

This was me and my croque and wine at 04:30 .........

A05FE99B-1C80-400E-8ECE-2B434993C8A9.jpg

Now that's a croque! Your sandwich not the election results! HeHe It sounds like you are best pleased with how the voting turned out. Great way to start a weekend!

Jeff - I am truly nervous about the result of this election. Not only the thought of those who have ruined our economy twice recently, but the influence of the Scot. Nats.

I really hope people will have a good think before they put their cross on tomorrow - that is what often happens, thankfully.

Fingers crossed.

LL

They did indeed have a good think - thank goodness for the basic good sense of most of the British (well, especially English) people.

:):):)

Should we expect your posts today to become increasingly esoteric? Slainte!

EsobleedinterrK! Whoseeee? :confused:

I made her a bleedin' luvly green thai curry ..... and it ended up in a dispute about who (me) was takin' the best prawn crackers. No bleedin apreshiashun ....

I have noticed ... that she has one eye on her food and the other on the next prawn cracker. If I taker the prawn cracker that she has identified ... she goes all wobbly!!!:eek:

This was proper street food this .... :)

1232122F-162F-4F21-B157-E594E4E115FB.jpg

After Jeff and others are done enjoying the Champagne, food and celebrations, I am interested in more analysis for what and how things get approached about Scotland and the UK handling its future role (if any) in the European Union. Are those the right, best questions?

I have read comprehensive reviews and details from both the NY Times and Wall Street Journal. Very good and interesting summaries. BUT, what are the views from Jeff and others there in England? Look forward to learning more.

Below is the lead graphic from here in the U.S. for how the Drudge Report summarized yesterday's election results. "Cam Slam" is a cute headline!! This popular website links lots of news and opinion article all of the world on various political and entertainment issues/topics.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 177,242 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-08%20at%2012.38.52%20PM_zpswvfncdu3.png

Edited by TLCOhio

Terry,

The only changes with respect to Scotland during the next five years and the current fixed Parliament will be to reduce the ability of Socttish MPs to vote on matters purely English. There will be no revisitng of complete Independence. It isn't going to happen.

There will be no progrees in making changes to the EU that will be sufficient to satisfy the British public. The EU have already said that clearly. There will be an in/out referendum on continued membership and the results of that will be an exit from the current arrangements and a new EU trading treaty which will be closer to what we originally signed up for.

During the next 5 years the issue will become more of an irritant to British people as we experience more unwelcome legislitive interfernce and more troublesome immigration from new poorer East-European citizens. We will suffer more petty crime from these imigrants and the British public will want the power of who can come here and who can't. That issue will get worst. We may even have an influx of Greeks. We have an imminent Greece emergency that will create greater EU instability and will have IMf repercussions as Greece will shortly be in repayment default. This will trigger a financial crisis which the UK will not be totally immune from even though we are not a part of the Eurozone.

Things will quieten down politically in the UK as it is my sense that Britian is "sick to death" with politics and really wants a quiet stable time and to be left alone. We want it to quieten down and be less noisy, We want a few years of quiet and stability.

The new Government will make some changes to Parliamentary boundaries and that combined with the pointlessness of UKIP after the referendum promise has been discharged and the sucking back of protest votes and support to the mainstream ifrom peripheral parties s that the Conservative government may beleive but not say that they will have enough "feelgood" factor by the end of this Parliament to have a relatively safe third term.

I'm not certain what else to say to answer your question.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Terry, The only changes with respect to Scotland during the next five years and the current fixed Parliament will be to reduce the ability of Socttish MPs to vote on matters purely English. There will be no revisitng of complete Independence. It isn't going to happen. There will be no progrees in making changes to the EU that will be sufficient to satisfy the British public. The EU have already said that clearly. There will be an in/out referendum on continued membership and the results of that will be an exit from the current arrangements and a new EU trading treaty which will be closer to what we originally signed up for. During the next 5 years the issue will become more of an irritant to British people as we experience more unwelcome legislitive interfernce and more troublesome immigration from new poorer East-European citizens. We will suffer more petty crime from these imigrants and the British public will want the power of who can come here and who can't. That issue will get worst. We may even have an influx of Greeks. We have an imminent Greece emergency that will create greater EU instability and will have IMf repercussions as Greece will shortly be in repayment default. This will trigger a financial crisis which the UK will not be totally immune from even though we are not a part of the Eurozone. Things will quieten down politically in the UK as it is my sense that Britian is "sick to death" with politics and really wants a quiet stable time and to be left alone. We want it to quieten down and be less noisy, We want a few years of quiet and stability. The new Government will make some changes to Parliamentary boundaries and that combined with the pointlessness of UKIP after the referendum promise has been discharged and the sucking back of protest votes and support to the mainstream ifrom peripheral parties s that the Conservative government may beleive but not say that they will have enough "feelgood" factor by the end of this Parliament to have a relatively safe third term. I'm not certain what else to say to answer your question. Jeff

Appreciate these above excellent summaries and details from Jeff. I have highlighted in bold a few of Jeff's key points. YES, your comments about folks in the UK wanting "quiet, stables times" reflects an important aspect that will grow bigger and bigger here in the USA.

We live in Ohio. Our state and Florida are the two must-win states, out of the total of fifty states in our nation. A Presidential candidate MUST win Ohio and Flordia in order to be successful. This results, for both Ohio and Florida, plus a few other states, that each of these selected, narrow ranges of American areas get a huge and disproportion number of visits by the various Presidential candidates. PLUS, massive amounts of TV ads, direct mail, robo calls, etc., etc., over and over, months-after-month, being fired at Ohio, Florida and these few other selected states. By next summer, not just in September and October, viewers will see five to ten political attack ads during just one half-hour time period of local news.

The result? People in our state, Florida and a few other states get very, very tired of the political attacks, name-calling, etc. Our U.S. Presidential campaigns are just starting and will go on and on and on for another eighteen months. Long, long campaign cycles here!!

On the TV show taping that I did this afternoon, I noted about the UK elections yesterday and about how the pollsters and pundits got it wrong there.

THANKS for the continued "educational sharing"! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 22,168 views for these postings.