expired passport question/concern

slicksun

Hi,

Very specific question.

I already booked a cruise I guess I shouldve waited until this was all sorted out.

Here are the circumstances.

1. My fiancee is a U.S. Perm Resident i.e. Green card holder with a Philippines expired passport expired late 2012. She applied yesterday for a new one but they said up to 3 months and have no expedited services.

2. Traveling from Chicago to San Juan on feb 7.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findac...ilDate=1150207

3. We didnt have any problems from a cruise in Miami to Bahamas before with an expired passport.

4. Does she need a passport?

I hear both yes and no when searching through google. I was just thinking she could bring all of her docs including the expired passport, green card, renewal of passport receipts, birth cert, driver's license etc and we would be good. Is my logic flawed?

TIA

Hi,

Very specific question.

I already booked a cruise I guess I shouldve waited until this was all sorted out.

1. My fiancee is a U.S. Perm Resident i.e. Green card holder with a Philippines expired passport expired late 2012. She applied yesterday for a new one but they said up to 3 months and have no expedited services.

3. We didnt have any problems from a cruise in Miami to Bahamas before with an expired passport.

I hear both yes and no when searching through google. I was just thinking she could bring all of her docs including the expired passport, green card, renewal of passport receipts, birth cert, driver's license etc and we would be good. Is my logic flawed?

TIA

All she needs is the green card for re-entry to the US. The rub comes from what the entry requirements are for a Philippino citizen at each of the ports of call. If any of them require a Philippino citizen to have a valid passport then you likely won't be allowed to board even if you promise to stay onboard.

Hi,

Very specific question.

TIA

Why don't you call the State department and ask them?:confused:

If you are visiting any port that would require your fiancée to have a Visa because she is a Phillippino citizen, then, traveling with an expired passport will not work.

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/international-travel-permanent-resident

The green card only allows your fiancee to get back into the US, it is almost meaningless to other countries - except that if the country decided to deny her entry, possession of the green card would allow her to return to the US instead of the Phillippines. Looks like your fiancee needs to make an emergency trip to a consulate and ask for emergency assistance.

There are several Phillippino consulates in the US:

http://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/how-to-renew-a-philippine-passport-in-the-us.html

If she asks for an expedited passport at the consulate in LA, she should get it in time for the cruise.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/expediting-philippines-passport-renewal-los-angeles-110150.html

The other possibility is to request an emergency passport but she would be more likely to be granted that for an emergency - such as a family member being critically ill in another country, then for a vacation.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

You know, on Discover America TV channel, they did a show about a turnaround day for Oasis. One of the things they showed was a woman who had brought the wrong (expired) passport, and she was Vietnamese. They denied her boarding, and the whole family chose not to go

Another woman, a newlywed, was almost shut off until she was able to get her marriage certificate faxed to the cruise line

This program should be required viewing for those with passport questions

My wife says I am obsessivly compulsive about checking to be sure of our documentation (I will often stop the car within the first 30 minutes, to check to be sure we have everything), but, I would rather be foolish, than have to face that drive back from Ft Lauderdale or Port Canaveral because I forgot something

thanks

I cant see the smaller islands giving us a hassle about coming back on board especially with a green card and illinois license.

I don't see them hassling cruisers to be honest.

If the passport comes in time we'll be thankful but we'll do without if it doesnt come.

You're making a very dangerous and foolish assumption. If you don't have the proper documentation required by even one of your ports of call your cruise line won't even let you board the ship on embarkation day.

What you "don't see" could very well cause you to be left behind, with no recourse and no way to obtain a refund of the cruise fare you've paid.

Edited by njhorseman

You're making a very dangerous assumption. If you don't have the proper documentation required by even one of your ports of call your cruise line won't even let you board the ship on embarkation day.

What you "don't see" could very well cause you to be left behind, with no recourse and no way to obtain a refund of the cruise fare you've paid.

Exactly.

thanks

I cant see the smaller islands giving us a hassle about coming back on board especially with a green card and illinois license.

I don't see them hassling cruisers to be honest.

If the passport comes in time we'll be thankful but we'll do without if it doesnt come.

You need to think about the cruise line letting you board in the first place - forget "...the smaller islands...". The relaxed documentation (birth certificate and photo ID) may not apply to a Green Card holder. Have you contacted a Phillipines consulate to discuss the situation? - and not just shrug off the three months estimate given upon application.

No where does the OP give any info on the cruiseline and the date of the sailing???? Why not give more complete info so that we can try and give better advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nana - See point #2 in the original post. :)

You need to think about the cruise line letting you board in the first place - forget "...the smaller islands...". The relaxed documentation (birth certificate and photo ID) may not apply to a Green Card holder. Have you contacted a Phillipines consulate to discuss the situation? - and not just shrug off the three months estimate given upon application.

you have to physically go there to apply for a renewal.

there is no special person to talk to for an expedited passport. I'm a U.S. Citizen and I always am surprised how lackadaisical every single process is for her dealing with the Philippines government (outside of the passport process). We even brought our plane tickets and they said too bad and just told us to wait.

Their illustration board at the office said 6-8 weeks but they told us 3 months ...They must be accounting for the holiday swoon.

Kind of off topic but we met an old couple that drove from Ohio to Chicago because it was the nearest consulate. Ridiculous that they make everyone show up in person.

Nana - See point #2 in the original post. :)

Link does not work but I see he is sailing RCCL out of San Juan. Possibly a Feb 7 sailing.....

He needs to check with each country on that sailing for the req. of a citizen of the Philippians ..... Should take about 5 min for each port.

Have not done it myself but I think the OP is SOL :(

Found a Feb 8 sailing... So I'm assuming that is the one?

Barbados

St. Lucia

Antigua

St Martin

U.S. BVI

So four countries to check! How hard can the be ;)

Edited by nana541

i just called royal.

they said she is good to go with a green card because it's a closed loop and she is allowed to embark and disembark on all of the stops as well.

they said i worry too much and enjoy my vacay.

Well right off the bat it appears the St Lucia needs a valid passport with either (3 or 6 months no clear) and a VISA obtained prior to arrival.

This counties info not very clear but the OP lady will be denied boarding based on this port alone....

These entry rules are changing often, I suggest they call the embassy of each of these ports.

It doesn't look good from my quick check. Sorry

She is not a U.S. Citizen ! I believe you have been given bad info and that CSR won't be at the dock to make an exception !

Good luck to you and I hope I am wrong ...

Edited by nana541

i just called royal.

they said she is good to go with a green card because it's a closed loop and she is allowed to embark and disembark on all of the stops as well.

they said i worry too much and enjoy my vacay.

This is one time that I hope customer service has gotten it right.