New to disabled cruising, and debating wheelchair rental

iamaqt2

Hi all,

I've never had to post in this forum before, and am looking for advice. My DH has RA that frequently limits his ability to walk. He also has balance issues, so we've booked an HC cabin to accommodate him. We also have assisted boarding, and assisted help at the airports. I'm trying to decide if we need a wheelchair rental this cruise.

We've never had to rent one on previous cruises,or needed an HC cabin, but his ability to stand for any length of time, or walk very far has deteriorated since our last cruise.

We're doing a Mexican Riviera cruise and I know that most of the streets there aren't wheelchair friendly. But I want him to be comfortable in the ports we visit. Would a wheelchair rental be a good option, or does anyone have alternative options I haven't considered? TYIA for any advice you can offer.

Yes, a wheelchair or scooter rental would be a great idea. It will allow your husband to be able to go long distances and save his energy to do things he enjoys. If he feels great, leave the device in the cabin. Contact the special needs department and find out how to set it up. He can get onto the ship by the port wheelchairs, then whatever you rent will be waiting in your cabin. The one drawback I have seen is that there is no way to get around the ship once you board until you can access the cabin, so you may want to plan to get on board early afternoon rather than late morning.

Hi all,

I've never had to post in this forum before, and am looking for advice. My DH has RA that frequently limits his ability to walk. He also has balance issues, so we've booked an HC cabin to accommodate him. We also have assisted boarding, and assisted help at the airports. I'm trying to decide if we need a wheelchair rental this cruise.

We've never had to rent one on previous cruises,or needed an HC cabin, but his ability to stand for any length of time, or walk very far has deteriorated since our last cruise.

We're doing a Mexican Riviera cruise and I know that most of the streets there aren't wheelchair friendly. But I want him to be comfortable in the ports we visit. Would a wheelchair rental be a good option, or does anyone have alternative options I haven't considered? TYIA for any advice you can offer.

I would.

But I'd look at a power chair, so much easier to negotiate the ship than a scooter.

Another vote for something he can power himself. I have RA and Fibro and being able to be in charge of my own movements is much better that having someone push from behind. I find while I can push myself in a wheelchair, doing so is very hard work, stresses my upper body and makes me tired. I just bought a Travelscoot and love the freedom it gives me. I still walk with my walker when I can, but being able to pick when I walk is so much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hadn't thought of a scooter, but that might be a good option for getting around the ship. They don't recommend power chairs for rental if you aren't familiar with them. I'm just worried that the scooter would be a horrible option for the streets in Mexico.

Thanks for all the ideas, will have to ask him what he'd be comfortable with.

One thought for temporary wheelchair use. Check out Goodwill. They will often "lend" wheelchairs (and walkers, etc...) for free for short term use. My Dad has done this several times when my Aunt and her late-husband visited. Then he returned the wheelchair or walker to the location he got them from. All depends on what they have in stock but it is a really nice but little known policy for temporary use. Not likely for scooters but manual folding type chairs are usually available.

Sequim88 thanks for that info... I had no idea. That may come in handy if we need to use one locally, but I don't think I could logistically travel with one through the airport and on the plane. I just have no experience with it.

Airlines tend to be very good in making sure a disabled person had a good journey. Medical equipment travels for free so it isn't part of your luggage quota. I have travelled as a single traveler all over the world and I have Fibro, RA, congestive heart failure, diabetes, sleep apnea just to list some of my highlights :). I love to travel and won't let my lousy health get in my way of exploring the world. The only thing that stops me is my limited bank balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We take my wife's folding wheelchair on planes all the time. When we get to the gate we "gate check" the chair (get a tag put on it) and leave it at the bottom of the jetway to be stowed. We deplane nearly last to allow time for it to get brought up but it is never long. My wife can walk some so no need for an aisle chair to board. Very easy process and better than using an airport wheelchair which are generally way too big for her.

My husband has RA and some other mobility issues. We bought a scooter called Luggie. We first rented one when my mom went to Hawaii with us. We really liked the small, portability of this scooter so knew that was the one we wanted when we were ready to purchase it. My husband has used it all over the cobblestone streets of Europe and Cozumel. The only place we have found that he couldn't use it was at the Forum in Rome. The rocks were too large with too big of spaces in between the rocks to make it work. Email me at kelizalde17 at gmail dot com if you would like to know where we got our Luggie from. This company rents it as well. It is a company that is not used with the cruise lines so you have to arrange for it yourself. The Luggie is so great because you don't have to have a handicap room for it to fit in your cabin. We now use a handicap room for other issues that he has, but for many cruises we were able to use a non handicap room and have his Luggie in there. Additionally, it is small enough that you can get around the carts that the porters have in the hallway every day. You don't have to turn around and go a different direction to get around the carts.

Sequim88 thanks for that info... I had no idea. That may come in handy if we need to use one locally, but I don't think I could logistically travel with one through the airport and on the plane. I just have no experience with it.

Airport use is easy. You ride a scooter all the way to the door of the plane. It is then stowed with luggage and then waiting at the door of the plane when you exit the door. I can also put a carry-on bag behind my legs for travel thru the airport and boarding the ship etc. It just gives me so much more freedom than a transport chair. I have a 3 wheeled scooter that is very easy to maneuver on the ship. It has a smaller turning radius than a 4 wheeled one. It also has small wheels underneath to keep it from tipping over. But I have NEVER felt like it would tip.

We take my wife's folding wheelchair on planes all the time. When we get to the gate we "gate check" the chair (get a tag put on it) and leave it at the bottom of the jetway to be stowed. We deplane nearly last to allow time for it to get brought up but it is never long. My wife can walk some so no need for an aisle chair to board. Very easy process and better than using an airport wheelchair which are generally way too big for her.

Last cruise we took DH's folding wheelchair, gate checked it on the plane. It was handy at the hotel pre-cruise, and getting on board the ship. We also rented a power chair for use on the ship, which was waiting for us in our cabin. Folded up the manual wheelchair and kept it in the cabin closet until time to leave the ship. Worked out for us on that cruise. On our next cruise, thinking about getting one of those fasteners to hold a lightweight walker on the back of the manual wheelchair. Would be handier for night time bathroom breaks in the cabin.

Question: What is an "aisle chair" on the plane? Do they customarily have them readily available. DH is 220 pounds, I have a hard time helping him to his seat on planes. Is a standard hospital walker too wide?

thanks for any info you can share.

Sandy

Sandy

Question: What is an "aisle chair" on the plane? Do they customarily have them readily available. DH is 220 pounds, I have a hard time helping him to his seat on planes. Is a standard hospital walker too wide?

This from another website: "An aisle chair, also referred to as an aisle transfer chair, is a common assistive device utilized to help individuals with mobility limitations to more easily board airplanes. Since most aircraft have small aisles, it can be difficult to impossible for wheelchair-bound individuals to maneuver safely into a seat. Aisle chairs are narrower wheelchairs which highlight multiple straps to completely secure the user, and can be rolled down narrow airplane aisles to get the individual to his or her seat with ease."

They can usually hold 300 pounds. We used them many times for our daughter when she was younger, but you might want to check availability/request one with your airline. Just google "aisle chairs" to see what they look like.

Very helpful demo of boarding a plane either with regular chair (if smaller and seated in front) or aisle chair.

Unless I misheard he refers to the planes a couple times as 747 but they are obviously 737s. Aisle chair would be really required on any dual aisle planes.

This from another website: "An aisle chair, also referred to as an aisle transfer chair, is a common assistive device utilized to help individuals with mobility limitations to more easily board airplanes. Since most aircraft have small aisles, it can be difficult to impossible for wheelchair-bound individuals to maneuver safely into a seat. Aisle chairs are narrower wheelchairs which highlight multiple straps to completely secure the user, and can be rolled down narrow airplane aisles to get the individual to his or her seat with ease."

They can usually hold 300 pounds. We used them many times for our daughter when she was younger, but you might want to check availability/request one with your airline. Just google "aisle chairs" to see what they look like.

Thanks for the info. I did google aisle chairs, so now have a better idea. Good to know there is an option out there for us if needed.

Sandy

Very helpful demo of boarding a plane either with regular chair (if smaller and seated in front) or aisle chair.

Unless I misheard he refers to the planes a couple times as 747 but they are obviously 737s. Aisle chair would be really required on any dual aisle planes.

Excellent video, thanks for the link. I now have a much better idea of how an aisle chair works. Didn't know about using your manual wheelchair to get to the front row. That could be another option for us.

Sandy

Do you think this is for every airline, my sister will/might have a folding wheelchair, we will be using alaska airline and united, so we just go to the gate like normal and ask them to check in the wheelchair???

also, is there a place on the plane for her walker, that folds up as well?

Last cruise we took DH's folding wheelchair, gate checked it on the plane. It was handy at the hotel pre-cruise, and getting on board the ship. We also rented a power chair for use on the ship, which was waiting for us in our cabin. Folded up the manual wheelchair and kept it in the cabin closet until time to leave the ship. Worked out for us on that cruise. On our next cruise, thinking about getting one of those fasteners to hold a lightweight walker on the back of the manual wheelchair. Would be handier for night time bathroom breaks in the cabin.

thanks for any info you can share.

Sandy

Sandy

What is a "Fasteners" to hold the walker to a wheelchair - by any chance is there a picture?

Do you think this is for every airline, my sister will/might have a folding wheelchair, we will be using alaska airline and united, so we just go to the gate like normal and ask them to check in the wheelchair???

Every airline we've flown (most often hometown favorite Alaska) has the same procedure for gate checking the wheelchair. We try to get to the gate early enough so the agents there are not busy yet. My wife just rolls up and lets them know she needs to have the wheelchair checked. They have special tags with elastic strings to attach to the armrest (or other spot) and they usually give us a receipt slip. Then when they announce pre-boarding for folks needing extra time on the jet way we just roll her down the ramp to the plane door. She can walk enough holding on to the seat back to get to our row. She takes her removable chair pad with because airline seats need all the padding you can get. The chair back at the door gets taken down the outside jetway stairs and stowed in the luggage hold. Same process for people with kids in strollers.

On arrival we usually wait a while or go forward with our carry-on bags and wait in First Class or the front row until we see the chair has been brought up.

My wife has never used a walker but if it folds and is needed (and not too wide) for the aisle then I'm sure they could put it in the forward closet (if plane has one). Ask at the gate desk - they may want to gate check that also.

also, is there a place on the plane for her walker, that folds up as well?

The procedures for gate-checking the wheelchair is the same for every airline, that I have experienced. As far as the walker, she won't be able to use it on the plane, as the aisles are too narrow to accommodate it. You could ask about stowing it on board, but they will probably suggest gate-checking that as well.

The procedures for gate-checking the wheelchair is the same for every airline, that I have experienced. As far as the walker, she won't be able to use it on the plane, as the aisles are too narrow to accommodate it. You could ask about stowing it on board, but they will probably suggest gate-checking that as well.

Thanks, she won't need it to walk on the plane, she will need it to walk once she gets off the plane - if they have to check it and stow it w/ luggage, how will that work when we get off the plane to walk to next terminal, or do we just ask for a wheelchair, golf cart, etc, sorry for all the questions

What is a "Fasteners" to hold the walker to a wheelchair - by any chance is there a picture?

The walker fastener I saw in a Spinlife catalog was a Pronto Walker Holder. Alas, when I looked closer, I see it's for a power wheelchair. Guess I'll need to study the issue further, it may work with a manual wheelchair. If not, maybe there's something similar out there for a manual wheelchair.

Sandy

Thanks, she won't need it to walk on the plane, she will need it to walk once she gets off the plane - if they have to check it and stow it w/ luggage, how will that work when we get off the plane to walk to next terminal, or do we just ask for a wheelchair, golf cart, etc, sorry for all the questions

You don't check the wheelchair with luggage. It gets checked at the gate. Once you get to the gate, the attendants will tag it. Its the same way with strollers and scooters. Once you're called to board, you take (push) the wheelchair all the way to the door of the plane. At the door, you leave the wheelchair there (same with scooters, strollers, etc.) and walk onto the plane. When you land, when you get off the plane, the wheelchair will either be waiting for you right at the door or you may have to wait a few minutes because it takes time for them to get the items from the hold, up the stairs, and onto that waiting area. They may be stored with the luggage, but you don't pick it up at baggage claim.

Have you considered just purchasing the scooter out right. You'll be surprised how much you would use it if you have it. My experiences been if you buy a scooter it usually pays itself off and 4 trips. Also you do surprised how much she would use it in your every day life. For example I used my scooter that I bought for a cruise coming up to go to the zoo. It was the most enjoyable experience I've had in a long time in regards to going to someplace like a zoo

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We rented a powered one for a cruise. Very handy but some people took out their hate on them. They will do anything to get on an elevator ahead of one. This one had the narrow 2 wheel front but we bought a Enhance Mobility folding scooter and love it. Get the hard case if you end up buying because airline workers throw them underhand. You can't always go ashore with one tho.