Retreat or Lido Cabanas? Eurodam

dannymac41

Hello! I'm curious to whether or not it's worth booking the Retreat and/or Lido cabanas is advance, what the difference between them is, are they worth it, etc. Any info about them actually is appreciated.

I haven't sailed on HAL for 7 years and never a Caribbean cruise so I'm looking at getting up to speed on some of the newer facilities and services available.

Also, if anyone else has some general suggestions/tips for me I'd appreciate it. My wife and I are booked to sail an Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Eurodam.

Thanks!

If you know you want one, you should book in advance. They do sell out on some cruises.

We don't use them so can't say which is preferable but from our six cruises looking at them, I'd be more prone to book a Retreat one than Lido. Seems the Lido ones could be very hot and lot of people peering at you all day long IMO

The Retreat cabanas are on a quiet, private deck, aft of the Crows Nest area. They are essentially outdoors, with a common area in the center of the cabanas.

The Lido cabanas are along the port side of the Lido pool. The only pathway from the Lido restaurant to the forward elevators/Spa passes right by them. They are essentially indoors. The only air is from the open dome, when it's open.

The Lido cabanas are great for people who want to be by the pool, yet have their own space to return to.

IMG_2466.jpg.2b99889eaece06a9ec22efef66f9846c.jpg Here is a picture of the lido cabana. As said, they are right next to the lido pool on an active pathway. You also can't get any sun as they are totally covered and there is no room to pull out a chair.

The retreat cabanas are much nicer with fresh air and privacy.

Steve

thanks for the help, very informative and very much appreciated! I forgot to ask on the first post about how far a walk from the Retreat Cabanas to a pool(s) area. Would it be more than a 5-10 minute walk?

Edited by dannymac41

I forgot to ask on the first post about how far a walk from the Retreat Cabanas to a pool(s) area. Would it be more than a 5-10 minute walk?
Much less. It's just 2 decks down, by elevator or stairs. The Retreat cabanas overlook the roof of the Lido pool.

CLICK HERE for an info sheet about both types of cabanas.

2896255450099632937S425x425Q85.jpg

Edited by jtl513

thanks for the help, very informative and very much appreciated! I forgot to ask on the first post about how far a walk from the Retreat Cabanas to a pool(s) area. Would it be more than a 5-10 minute walk?

Just a couple of minutes, that's all. The Retreat is two decks above the Lido pool, but only immediately forward of it.

thanks again for all the help!! The cabanas look like very good options if you can get one. But if you book one of the Retreats for a week and you get a rainout or they close the area for whatever reason, does anyone know if they discount the rental?

We were on the Eurodam in Dec and had a lido cabana. We loved it. It was very Convenient next to the pool. The retreats seemed to be out of the way. The Lidos were not at all hot. My goal was to be out of the sun and it was wonderful to have "reserved" seating in the shade. You can use it no matter the weather since they just close the roof if it starts to rain. Sonny and Gilbert , the attendants, were great.

thanks again for all the help!! The cabanas look like very good options if you can get one. But if you book one of the Retreats for a week and you get a rainout or they close the area for whatever reason, does anyone know if they discount the rental?

No discount, no refund, happened to us 4 times.

We will never again book a Retreat Cabana without booking a Lido backup.

Its only $199 and worth it to us, to have a place to go, that we do not have to fight for, when the Retreat is closed due to weather.

They are not hot, and if I remember right, some of the windows open.

Good investment.

Also, on cold and rainy days they are great, we have had those type of days....

Edited by surfergirle

Just off the N. Amsterdam. The Retreat Cabanas are, IMHO, much preferred. As mentioned, the Lido cabanas can be very warm- the side of the ship Retreat cabanas can also be very warm. The Lido cabanas are pretty loud, lots of people going by all the time. We spent some time with some new friends who had one. Also didn't like the single large lounger concept in the Lido Cabanas, the Retreat Cabana has two standard loungers.

We had a Retreat Cabana (or Cabana Club, as it is called on the N. Amsterdam). We had Santorini the first week- nice, but as a side Cabana, can get pretty warm. Second week we had Cote d'Azur. Very nice. Only issue, rain. But as long as the wind isn't too bad, you can handle the rain. No refunds, as generally, in the rain, the cabana is usable.

If you are more than 3 people, the Family Cabanas looked even better.

Edited by CruiserBruce

IMO, the Lido Cabanas are a big, big turnoff.

Rather than spend a recent sea day up in the over-crowded Lido where I might have had a beer or two (ie: shipboard revenue) I stayed on my private balcony where I didn't have any drinks, ordered room service (no charge), and enjoyed an afternoon of peace and quiet.

We have experienced the Retreat closed down, due to bad weather, and no, I am not talking a little rain. I am talking about no attendant, everything locked up, and no chairs out. Rain I can handle, so when it is not available due to weather, and id like to have a cozy place some place warm, the Lido Cabana is a perfect backup to the Retreat. On a day like that, our balcony is not in working order either. For the price, its a no brainer. Its not worth it for us to lose a relaxing day when we don't have many days off. The retractable roof is great.

We have experienced the Retreat closed down, due to bad weather, and no, I am not talking a little rain. I am talking about no attendant, everything locked up, and no chairs out. Rain I can handle, so when it is not available due to weather, and id like to have a cozy place some place warm, the Lido Cabana is a perfect backup to the Retreat. On a day like that, our balcony is not in working order either. For the price, its a no brainer. Its not worth it for us to lose a relaxing day when we don't have many days off. The retractable roof is great.

I'm on the Eurodam TA 4/12/12 and booked a Lido Cabana. I think the Retreats will be unusable for the trip. Too bad because I could have used a Family Retreat.

Ellen

We will never again book a Retreat Cabana without booking a Lido backup.

Its only $199 and worth it to us, to have a place to go, that we do not have to fight for, when the Retreat is closed due to weather.

They are not hot, and if I remember right, some of the windows open.

Good investment.

Also, on cold and rainy days they are great, we have had those type of days....

You book a Retreat cabana and a Lido cabana? That must be why the Lido cabanas I walk past are often empty...:D

Does the Westerdam have a retreat or cabanas? I am considering taking my mother on it for a cruise in Alaska. I will have to get an inside cabin due to cost.

No, only Eurodam and N. Amsterdam. It is rumored (I heard it again on N. Amsterdam last week) they will be adding them to the Vista class ships- on the Lido Deck, but when? Who knows.

I just booked a Retreat Cabana for our cruise on the Eurodam in late March to the eastern carib. After reading some of the posts I am wondering is we have made a mistake. We are in a port side aft DV cabin so we have a large wraparound deck. I did not know they closed the retreat's for weather or lack of attendents. If it is closed does HAL refund any of our money? Perhaps with our large deck the cabana is not needed?

The weather should be pretty good in March but who knows?

TIA and Merry Christmas

Chris

We booked a Retreat cabana for our recent eastern caribbean cruise on the Eurodam. We couldn't use the cabana for the first two days at all due to wind. When we came back from our port morning on day three there was a woman who hadn't reserved a cabana at all sleeping on the lounger in our cabana! That really irritated me. When I explained that we had reserved the cabana and asked her to leave she picked up and went to lay on one of the loungers in the center of the Retreat area. I wasn't too happy about the way the area was supervised.

We did have afternoon tea (from the Suite Amenities package) delivered to our cabana one afternoon and that was very nice.

I'm on the Eurodam TA 4/12/12 and booked a Lido Cabana. I think the Retreats will be unusable for the trip. Too bad because I could have used a Family Retreat.

Ellen

Do you mean the 14th April TA on the Eurodam?

If so, do come and join us here on our (still quite small) roll call

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1519985