select dining debacle

suec12

I'm jumping in here. I'm booked on a cruise for next month with select dining. I've never used it before but this time I'm going with my mother who doesn't speak english and would like to eat at a table for 2. Also, she's such a fast eater, we're done whitin 45 min. Anyway ..now that I was gonna make the last payment for the cruise. They change it to set dining time at 8:30 and I could be on the waiting list for select dining at 6PM. None of which I would prefer. I talked to Celebrity but they didn't understand what went wrong and couldn't really do anything about it. I'm not very happy right now.

Edited by Mediana

Add to that the reduction in staff and you pretty much get what Celebrity offers today.

People keep saying this and I can't find any evidence to prove it. We were on the Infinity last May and on the Solstice last September. I asked the stewards, dining staff, and bar staff if there had been any reduction in staffing over the last two years and they said no, staffing levels had remained constant.

Celebrity is reducing the room stewards to one per room. Prior to this 2 stewards were responsible for 20 staterooms. Now one steward is responsible for 10 staterooms. Our stewards said it made no difference to them, same amount of work either way.

ON the 4th night of giving up and joining larger tables, we had the worst experience of all...we were joining others at a table of 10 who were clearly into their dinner or just finishing up appetizers...everyone was at a different course, the waiter showed up presented us with a menu and told us to hurry up and choose our starter and he would return to finish the rest of our order later. It was like a picnic or mess hall experience.

This experience is just so wrong! So awkward for everyone involved! I think this is the worst dining experience I've heard of.

What's that TV show where company bigwigs go undercover in their own establishments? Things would change in a hurry if these type of experiences were exposed.

This experience is just so wrong! So awkward for everyone involved! I think this is the worst dining experience I've heard of.

What's that TV show where company bigwigs go undercover in their own establishments? Things would change in a hurry if these type of experiences were exposed.

You are assuming that Queen Lisa would want to change things as an Undercover Boss rather than she implemented the cost cutting measures which led to the situation.

Has anyone suggested that if you create a horrible dining experience it will drive people to the paid venues or Blu/Luminae cabin categories? That would reduce server staff cost and increase revenue.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Mediana, when you board the ship go immediately to the main dining room where a staff member will be at a podium. You can tell him your experience with the switch (and show him your invoice stating your select preference), and you will probably be accommodated in select. Don't despair.

Bon voyage!

she implemented the cost cutting measures which led to the situation.

What cost cutting measures led to this dining situation?

Has anyone suggested that if you create a horrible dining experience it will drive people to the paid venues or Blu/Luminae cabin categories? That would reduce server staff cost and increase revenue.

Conspiracy theories run amuck! Let's see some proof!

To those who had a negative experience with Select Dining, what time did you show up at the MDR?

6th 14 nighter on the Eclipse this September, we reserved online for 4 people at 7.30. Never before had there been any issues and never been given a beeper but on this latest cruise it just went badly. They were running out of beepers as they were giving them out so often. People with or without reservations were being turned away. I hate the idea that those in Blu or Luminae can turn up at Select and be seated. Also I had read that Select dining had been switched to the larger level beneath but it was still on the top level in September. Select dining is declining. Celebrity take note.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On a recent cruise we were very surprised that while dining in the MDR our meal was interrupted by the maitre'd making an an announcement with a bullhorn that Mr. and Mrs. Iwannaeatnow had just arrived and regardless of where you were in your meal all tables needed to be immediately vacated. Of course everyone in the MDR immediately stopped and without complaint left quickly, and quietly lined up in a reviewing line to allow Mr. and Mrs. Iwannaeatnow their choice of dining level, table and dining companions. (We had all previously submittied dossiers for their review complete with photos for easy identification.) We were thrilled to be selected from the masses to dine at a table for 6 with Mr. and Mrs. Iwannaeatnow, the Captain and the executive chef. It was truly an extraordinary experience.

On a recent cruise we were very surprised that while dining in the MDR our meal was interrupted by the maitre'd making an an announcement with a bullhorn that Mr. and Mrs. Iwannaeatnow had just arrived and regardless of where you were in your meal all tables needed to be immediately vacated. Of course everyone in the MDR immediately stopped and without complaint left quickly, and quietly lined up in a reviewing line to allow Mr. and Mrs. Iwannaeatnow their choice of dining level, table and dining companions. (We had all previously submittied dossiers for their review complete with photos for easy identification.) We were thrilled to be selected from the masses to dine at a table for 6 with Mr. and Mrs. Iwannaeatnow, the Captain and the executive chef. It was truly an extraordinary experience.

All righty then.

Really, a useful insight.........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Source??? Or speculation on your part....

Maybe yes and maybe no. Keep in mind that Blu and Luminae have taken space away from the "masses" so there is a fundamental issue of less tables and tables being closer together. Add to that the reduction in staff and you pretty much get what Celebrity offers today. Reservations and requests for the same table/waiter just make things worse...and on some ships, they do hold tables...it depends who is seating folks, etc. There is no telling what you will find on any given cruise. Some cruises don't even have a separate reservation line...others do and they alternate between reservation/no reservation lines.

You kind of have to go with the flow....that is, try to dine outside the peak times....prepare to have at least one more drink before being seated....and so on. Plan your shows so that you don't have to rush through dinner....or if you aren't going to a show...remember everyone, you are on a cruise and slow down from your normal type A personality :)

So if it is your first time, it does not work like "Anytime" dining on the other cruise lines. So be patient if you do not make reservations.

That's good to know coming into it. I was expecting what we've gotten on RCL, but it sounds like that won't happen.

For those who choose the buffet instead, how many of the options on the menu did you normally see there? I think my son cruises just for the buffet, so he'll be happy with it if we end up there.

For those who choose the buffet instead, how many of the options on the menu did you normally see there? I think my son cruises just for the buffet, so he'll be happy with it if we end up there.

We loved the buffet, they have a whole section of yummy salads, really fresh breads. The also had Mongolian BBQ it was really good. I am sure you will find something to eat there.:D

I have to say I did not care for "Select" dining. We have sailed on several other lines and chose the "Anytime" dining and I mistakenly thought that was what Select meant.

This thread has me concerned too. Anytime on Princess seemed to work OK, but they have formal nights still, even for Anytime diners. Our favorite for dining is NCL; we have always been able to get a table for two beside a window in the MDR with no more than a five minute wait. The only time we had a longer wait was when we had a much larger group of us, and the wait then was about 15 minutes.