Is American Airlines really in bankruptcy?

ckrobyn

They have been in bankruptcy along with their affiliate American Eagle since 11/29/2011. They still operate normally, what you see on the new right now is about American pilots disagreeing with management and their contract, which is why they are calling in sick.

:eek: What does this mean? I have AA booked from Miami to San Juan in February - should I start looking at alternative airlines???

Help!!!!

American Airlines has filed the type of bankruptcy that allows them to reorganize their debt structure. It is not, at this point, a going out of business bankruptcy. A major part of reorganization is to negotiate new labor contracts that are more favorable to the airlines. Will they succeed? Maybe, but if they don't there will probably be a merger with US Air.

I have several future flights booked with AA and think that they will be OK but if you feel uncomfortable you might explore your other options. The only problem is most AA tickets are unrefundable so you will probably out your money. However, AA is known for changing flight schedules and if your flight is changed by more than two hours you can cancel and get a full refund.

:eek: What does this mean? I have AA booked from Miami to San Juan in February - should I start looking at alternative airlines???

Help!!!!

They are in bankruptcy for a few years now - some chapter, don't remember which one. This means, they are using that chapter so creditors and unions cannot get them till they start doing better financially.

The recent events were caused by some judge's decision that the pilots didn't like, and as AA are into bancruptcy protection, all they can do is sabotage the flights. :rolleyes:

I made reservations right before that court decision, so I am in the same boat. My flight will be in January, I hope it will all boil over by then, as my reservations are non-refundable, and if I switch to another airline, I'd lose the money :mad:

It's not the first time they've been in Chapter 11 either. IIRC they've been there twice before. Both times, they dug out of it with minimal interruption to flights.

I've got them booked in Feb to FLL. Already seen the schedule change twice so far, which doesn't make me happy, but so long as they get my group to Florida in one piece with luggage, I doubt that I'll gripe much. I only fly because I have to if I want to cruise.

American Airlines has filed the type of bankruptcy that allows them to reorganize their debt structure. It is not, at this point, a going out of business bankruptcy. A major part of reorganization is to negotiate new labor contracts that are more favorable to the airlines. Will they succeed? Maybe, but if they don't there will probably be a merger with US Air.

Great, a merger with USless Air. That should fix things.

They are in bankruptcy for a few years now - some chapter, don't remember which one. This means, they are using that chapter so creditors and unions cannot get them till they start doing better financially.

The recent events were caused by some judge's decision that the pilots didn't like, and as AA are into bancruptcy protection, all they can do is sabotage the flights. :rolleyes:

I made reservations right before that court decision, so I am in the same boat. My flight will be in January, I hope it will all boil over by then, as my reservations are non-refundable, and if I switch to another airline, I'd lose the money :mad:

I hope these pilots are happy with themselves when they suddenly find themselves in their new role saying "Welcome to Walmart".:rolleyes:

OMG loose seats???

You are all seriously freaking me out :eek::eek:

Does anyone know who else flies out of MIA to SJU? I'm Canadian so please forgive my lack of knowledge here....

Yes Robyn...3 flights in 1 week...but no injuries, and they inspected all the 757s over the past couple days...

check any US TV network like CNN or MSNBC and there will be all sorts of stories about it...

it's a shame....was a good airline...and i am NOT a fan of US Scare...

As to your question....MIA-SJU??? hmmm

Jet Blue does FLL-SJU....let me think about this..

ETA: if you want non stop, you are SOL...if you don't mind going MIA-ATL-SJU or MIA-JFK-SJU you can try Delta...

If it were me and you could get to FLL, i would go jet Blue....or even air tran...

Problem is I am already booked YYZ to MIA on points.....

GRRRRR - I hope AA is still flying in February :mad::mad:

They will be, maybe as a merged airline but some form of the will be around. Don't worry too much, these re-orgs are common.

As far as the seats, the airline had put in new seats and as of tonight, they think they have found the issue with clips that hold the seats in tracks on the floor of the aircraft.

By February, all of this will be a distant memory.

AA mechanics are going through union issues and 3000 employees in Tulsa may lose their jobs in the reorg. But thousands all over the country have lost their jobs as well with no good outlook on the horizon.:( The airline industry isn't immune to the trainwreck we are going through.

Maybe those loose seats were helped along? Who knows what can happen when people have lost morale.

They will be, maybe as a merged airline but some form of the will be around. Don't worry too much, these re-orgs are common.

As far as the seats, the airline had put in new seats and as of tonight, they think they have found the issue with clips that hold the seats in tracks on the floor of the aircraft.

By February, all of this will be a distant memory.

:eek::eek: I didn't realize the seat thing was a true story!!! YIKES:eek::eek:

Problem is I am already booked YYZ to MIA on points.....

GRRRRR - I hope AA is still flying in February :mad::mad:

Ahhhhhh....welllllll.....it would be a pain in the rear...but you may want to try looking....

just to have more options...

AA mechanics are going through union issues and 3000 employees in Tulsa may lose their jobs in the reorg. But thousands all over the country have lost their jobs as well with no good outlook on the horizon.:( The airline industry isn't immune to the trainwreck we are going through.

Maybe those loose seats were helped along? Who knows what can happen when people have lost morale.

Putting passenger safety at risk is unforgiveable :mad:

We agree that pax safety shouldn't be compromised by anyone to make a point, especially about negotiations.

But people will do strange things when faced with losing jobs or not getting the contract they want.:( Even if that means lost revenue for the company. Some people may feel that if they are going to go down that the airline will go down with them.

If for some chance (and I personally don't think it would get to that point) the airline goes under, even if you have non refundable seats, if booked on your credit card, then the credit card companies will process the chargeback. (And in some cases, may just take the operational loss on the charge).

However, with AA being so large, I would not expect this to be an issue. Either the government will step in or a merger would occur very quickly for another airline to take over. As others have mentioned, US Air seems to be the forerunner for this takeover as others would cause more of a monopoly at this point. Of course, I have no real clue, but that would be my semi educated guess.

As you are booked on points, that could be different. I would research other options just as a Plan B. I really doubt there will be any issue with your ticket come February. (But I have been wrong before...darn it).

I have over 6 million miles on American. I fly them virtually every week. I have zero concern. You should not either. When flying to sju, I hope you're flying in the day before embarkation. Anything can happen on any airline, not to mention things out of the airline's control... Ie, weather.

To clarify some points above, this is the first time American Airlines has been in bankruptcy (to the person who said this was their third time, perhaps you are thinking of US Airways which has filed twice, or Delta or United which both filed once).

As to the status of your flights, the best advice is to watch schedules. In the normal scheme of operations most of the major airlines will make cross the board schedule changes at the beginning of the quarter as they see the actual flight demand, so it is very possible there may be schedule changes so keep a close eye on your reservation on AA's website - do not rely on RCCL to notify you.

It just cracks me up when people use derogatory "nick-names" for airlines, I have had good experiences on all of the major's and bad experiences on all of the major's. In regards to customer service, it is a pure crap shoot for each and everyone of them.

As you are booked on points, that could be different. I would research other options just as a Plan B. I really doubt there will be any issue with your ticket come February. (But I have been wrong before...darn it).

I probably should have clarified....my points are with Air Canada from Toronto to Miami, the AA flight is Miami to San Juan...

There are very few options other than AA on the MIA to SJU leg of the trip :(

Archived