Tipping, why the fuss?

Can'tstopcruising

I never said a ship is a country- that is a distraction from people not wanting to tip. I also said "mode of travel" - cruising IS a mode of travel and the need to tip is clearly disclosed.

Don't agree? Don't cruise - find another mode of travel.

"Include them in the price" - ok, so you are still spending the money for tips. Does it bother you so much that it's called a tip?

When I hear that, I'm GLAD there are pre-paid tips - frankly, I hope they RAISE pre-paid tips now.

Pre-paid tips are in because ahem, some people don't like tipping.

Well that's a matter of where you cruise and with what line. IE if you cruise certain ships in Australia it made clear and do mean clear, that there is no NEED to tip, it is all bundled in the price.

You see there are places other than America that have cruise ships and they don't all do it the American way.

Well, that escalated quickly. I think we can all agree that all service workers deserve to make a decent living wage. In many countries that is through a straight salary. In others, the service that workers provide is given a gratuity based on the level at which they perform. If traditional customs dictate a 15% gratuity, that is the minimum tip I'll leave. If tipping isn't standard, I won't tip.

I saw a previous poster talk about her views vs her husband's view on tipping, and I think they worked out a great solution based on the tipping being in control of the person whose native country they were in.

As for the ship gratuities, IMHO, it comes down to doing the right thing. If you know that gratuities are expected to be paid to the service workers, then just pay them. Grumble and complain about it (my dad used to always remark "I wish I got tipped just for doing my job", to which mom would remark that he should take a job where tipping was the standard), but just do it, and know that it is greatly appreciated.

Well, that escalated quickly. I think we can all agree that all service workers deserve to make a decent living wage. In many countries that is through a straight salary. In others, the service that workers provide is given a gratuity based on the level at which they perform. If traditional customs dictate a 15% gratuity, that is the minimum tip I'll leave. If tipping isn't standard, I won't tip.

I saw a previous poster talk about her views vs her husband's view on tipping, and I think they worked out a great solution based on the tipping being in control of the person whose native country they were in.

As for the ship gratuities, IMHO, it comes down to doing the right thing. If you know that gratuities are expected to be paid to the service workers, then just pay them. Grumble and complain about it (my dad used to always remark "I wish I got tipped just for doing my job", to which mom would remark that he should take a job where tipping was the standard), but just do it, and know that it is greatly appreciated.

+1000. Well said.

Well I certainly now understand that at least here.

The real upside of this was after the 29 hour from home to Barcelona hotel (yes I know that 7 hour flight was a real pain and people complained about their jet lag from those 7 hour flights for the whole cruise) we discovered apartment hotels. And we loved apartment hotels and we will be holidaying in apartment hotels around the world from now on. We could get further away from the cursory morning spits onto the lifeboat below by our esteemed neighbour in an apartment hotel with a nice balcony. Yes the company was interesting.

The reason for the fuss is because everyone [or many] wants everyone else to do it their way.

If they tipe above and beyond the auto grats, why doesn't everyone?

If they just go auto grats, how dare you remove yours?

If they don't tip at all, why do you think everyone should tip?

Short answer is, it is none of your business how, or how much, I do or don't tip. If I am happy to give my money to someone, that's my business, if am happy to remove all tips and possibly get inferior service, that's my business too.

Short answer is, it is none of your business how, or how much, I do or don't tip. If I am happy to give my money to someone, that's my business, if am happy to remove all tips and possibly get inferior service, that's my business too.

The thing is if you remove the tips then you won't get inferior service. The staff have pride in their job and will not shirk their duties just because someone doesn't tip (which they may not be aware of until the cruise ends anyway).

What will happen is that the staff won't get paid a fair wage. A system which allows this to happen is simply wrong.

My comment about inferior service was because many threads here claim that is what happens, that the staff know straight away if you remove auto grats and won't serve you as well. One poster even suggested you should lock your toothbrush away :eek:

My comment about inferior service was because many threads here claim that is what happens, that the staff know straight away if you remove auto grats and won't serve you as well. One poster even suggested you should lock your toothbrush away :eek:

Which is typical of the demeaning attitudes towards "the staff" which the tipping culture encourages.

There you go........easy solution. Sail on the non American based lines so we don't have to listen to your continued whining!

I have read this thread with interest and I believe that the argument to pay the discretionary gratuity has not being made. The comments of many including yours are so pitiful it has has changed my opinion.

After all, I resent being told to pay $672 in tips when I have already paid 40% more that you. When it is level playing field then maybe people's attitude will change.

I have read this thread with interest and I believe that the argument to pay the discretionary gratuity has not being made. The comments of many including yours are so pitiful it has has changed my opinion.

After all, I resent being told to pay $672 in tips when I have already paid 40% more that you. When it is level playing field then maybe people's attitude will change.

Sail on UK cruise lines then, sorry if you don't like our customs. Sail on Cunard and keep your hands in your pockets. Don't tip anyone which is typical.

Edited by emcee207

Stay on UK cruise lines then, sorry if you don't like our customs. Sail on Cunard and keep your hands in your pockets.

You need to do a little research, a little knowledge is dangerous. Cunard is owned and operated by Carnival Corp. like many of the cruise-lines. Who owns Carnival, definitely not the US anymore.

Edited by jody75

Secondly, making tipping compulsory surely destroys the whole point of it - to reward exceptional service.

And there lies the problem, in Europe, Oz and many other places tipping rewards exceptional service, but in North America (and on most cruise ships) it pays a good deal of their basic wage.

Personally I will tip according to where I am, but I would not hesitate and withhold for poor service where ever I am.

The reason for the fuss is because everyone [or many] wants everyone else to do it their way.

If they tipe above and beyond the auto grats, why doesn't everyone?

If they just go auto grats, how dare you remove yours?

If they don't tip at all, why do you think everyone should tip?

Amen!

The thing is if you remove the tips then you won't get inferior service. The staff have pride in their job and will not shirk their duties just because someone doesn't tip (which they may not be aware of until the cruise ends anyway).

What will happen is that the staff won't get paid a fair wage. A system which allows this to happen is simply wrong.

I can't even begin to understand this logic.

I recall a time we ate at a very nice hotel in Orlando. It was a breakfast buffet and they stated in their prices that the gratuity was automatically added. We waited a very long time for our waiter to come to the table for drink orders. We waited even longer for beverage delivery (I want my coffee!! :mad:). We waited for dishes to be cleared from our table as the table was small and getting very cluttered and, of course, more coffee. We waited a very long time for the check.

I think we gave that waiter ample time to give us good service. He failed each and every time given the chance. We did ask that the auto tip be removed. They looked at the waiter's name and agreed. I'm certain if this waiter worked in a restaurant that did not auto tip, he would be a much better waiter.

For the record, we cruise about 3 weeks a year and we have never had the tips removed. And we often tip extra.

The only thing I would say is to research what the tipping culture is for any country you might be visiting or any cruise line you might be sailing on, that way if you know what the expectations are or are not, you won't be surprised or confused as to what to do.