Gay Wedding on a Ship?

Fogtownrog

I'm sure it would depend on the line, the ship and the itinerary.

I believe Princess (and perhaps others) is registered in Bermuda to allow marriages at sea; in that case, the legal entity would likely be that of the ship's flag - and I don't think Bermuda allows same sex marriage. Most commonly, there is a service when docked before sailing. I would think that the lines with wedding packages would probably use local providers and would fall under local laws (which would not be good in FL - but possible in NY & CA?).

However, if you arrange your own license and legal officient for the ceremony and wish to use their services for the celebration and other elements of the wedding, I'm sure it's absolutely possible.

Warning - this is only speculation.

Edited by MarkBearSF

I don't know the legality issues involved, but consider cruises out of Baltimore and Boston, too, if the embarkation port influences licensing. In MD I believe we had to have our license 2-3 days in advance of using it.

I don't know the legality issues involved, but consider cruises out of Baltimore and Boston, too, if the embarkation port influences licensing. In MD I believe we had to have our license 2-3 days in advance of using it.

If we list locations - potentially then cruises from WA and HI would also qualify (and potentially from Canada, Mexico, and much of Europe) ...also lumping in NJ departures with NY.

Edited by MarkBearSF

If we list locations - potentially then cruises from WA and HI would also qualify (and potentially from Canada, Mexico, and much of Europe) ...also lumping in NJ departures with NY.

I was just thinking logistical East Coast ports since OP is out of ATL and NY was already mentioned. Now that we're up to 16(???) states and more countries hopping on the wagon monthly, long term possibilities are endless. Why not try for a Med cruise out of France? :D

Has anyone gotten married out of California? We are considering getting married on the Carnival Miracle sailing from Long Beach. We would prefer an east coast wedding (family, friends, and ports), but since we are considering a winter wedding, I'd rather not cruise out of NYC in December...Brrrrrrr....

I would think port options would be Cape Liberty NJ, NYC, Baltimore, Boston, WA, HI & CA. Also Vancouver.

This would be a lot easier if Florida would just get with the times and allow us to marry there! So many more options out of FL.

This would be a lot easier if Florida would just get with the times and allow us to marry there! So many more options out of FL.

Agreed. But sadly, I don't think things will change in Florida or any number of other states until the Supreme Court gives us our equivalent of Loving v. Virginia.

We are getting married on board the NCL Breakaway in April. We will have close to 100 guests with about 25 sailing. We will be married in port which allows us to have guests attend who would not otherwise be able to sail.

NCL and their group team have been really very good to work with in planning the event. Don't leave anything to chance and ask for anything you want/need. Also check out the wedding forum on CC.

We got married on board Holland America in Seattle.

Be aware that you will probably be required to secure your license in the state where you are getting married. I know our Washington license required that we were married in the State of Washington.

The ship wedding planners are aware of each state's laws and will help you. Some states do have a waiting period (we had to wait I believe 3 days after securing our license to get married). The license expired after 60 days if we didn't get married.

I've read Celebrity accommodates weddings well as well. I read a thread elsewhere a while ago, that the cruise lines can easily tell you what ports they can marry a gay couple in and if they can't they can hold a non-official ceremony in any case.

Every port has different rules, costs, procedures, timelines, deadlines, etc.

Best to select a aline then call their groups department for up-to-the-minute information.

We are getting married on board the NCL Breakaway in April. We will have close to 100 guests with about 25 sailing. We will be married in port which allows us to have guests attend who would not otherwise be able to sail.

NCL and their group team have been really very good to work with in planning the event. Don't leave anything to chance and ask for anything you want/need. Also check out the wedding forum on CC.

Robert,

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!! My husband and I were just married on 12/12. It's so exciting. I have to tell you how impressed I am with your website and all your planning. You obviously know how to have a good time. :) You, Ralph, your families and friends are very lucky and are going to have a blast.

Do you have a travel agent? This is exactly the type of research and work that a good TA can and should do for you.

(The details of the ceremony and catering etc less so - however the original research on what is offered and then any later work on travel arrangements and details for other members of the celebration, are things that a skilled travel agent can help you with)

Edited by MarkBearSF

Partner and I will be getting married on Jan. 19 Aboard the Carnival Pride while in the port of Baltimore. Between RCI and Carnival in Baltimore, RCI's website said they were not doing same sex marriages at this time. Carnival has much better wedding package prices anyway and reviews of their weddings have been glowing. The package ceremonies are designed for str8 weddings but have been accommodating in customizing it for us. 37 guests, 12 of which will sail with us. Fingers crossed, all will go well!

FYI, Carnival will no longer have cruises from Balt. as of this Oct., 2014

Bob

Edited by RSVE821

Partner and I will be getting married on Jan. 19 Aboard the Carnival Pride while in the port of Baltimore. Between RCI and Carnival in Baltimore, RCI's website said they were not doing same sex marriages at this time. Carnival has much better wedding package prices anyway and reviews of their weddings have been glowing. The package ceremonies are designed for str8 weddings but have been accommodating in customizing it for us. 37 guests, 12 of which will sail with us. Fingers crossed, all will go well!

Bob

RCCL had better re-visit their policies. They are going to get into a lot of trouble in Washington and likely in California if they refuse- illegal to discriminate here. Attorney General here has no sense of humor about this.

Bob

We wanted to get married on the Pride in Baltimore in November 2014...But when I called I was told that the ship is not coming back to Baltimore after the drydock...so we are considering other options, i.e. California.

RCCL had better re-visit their policies. They are going to get into a lot of trouble in Washington and likely in California if they refuse- illegal to discriminate here. Attorney General here has no sense of humor about this.

They could also have big problems in Maryland since they also can't discriminate here. If they're marrying heterosexual couples on Grandeur then they have to offer same-sex weddings. Some vendors here have stopped doing weddings because they didn't want to offer their services to some groups.

To answer the original topic...

My wife and I got married on the Pride last January. We were one of the first gay marriage test cases for Carnival since we booked our wedding 18 months in advance. We made our coordinator batty because of all of the contract changes we requested. We refused to sign our contract until Carnival's Legal Department changed our signature titles to "Bride and Bride" or "Spouse and Spouse" and our preference for two bouquets.

We downgraded from getting married in the port (we weren't sure if we'd be able to) to having a non-binding ceremony at sea with our nearest and dearest. We changed it because Carnival had ridiculous internal policies that we weren't aware of when we booked, but they have now changed.

Thanks to the passage of Question 6, we were legally married stroke of midnight last New Year's and had our wedding ceremony on the second sea day. It was fabulous and we'd do it that way again. It was nice and laid back since we weren't rushed to have a wedding and reception in 3 hours and everyone had a good time. We wrote a pretty lengthy review is anyone is interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably late to the party.. but here is what we are doing in April this year.

We are flying to LA, and staying in LA overnight.

We are working with a wedding Officiant. This person takes care of all the registering, and paperwork, so we don't have to spend a day in the courts / government offices. In our case, they will meet us at the hotel, and we will show our passports, sign some papers and have a quick ceremony .and bam.. married. No fuss, no frills. Reasonable priced (< $500).

If you need more information on the Officiants, please let me know.

Then from CA there are several cruise options.. Hawaii, Mexico, CA Coastal, and in our case.. we are flying to Tahiti for a 10 night cruise for our honeymoon..

We got married last August in Annapolis. There is normally a two-day waiting period, but it's possible for an out-of-state couple to have that waived by filing a non-resident affidavit ahead of time. We decided to enjoy vacation time in Annapolis and Baltimore before our wedding, so the waiting period did not matter to us.

• 1 month later...

Robert and Ralph, what a great website you have created! Wishing you both all the best in wedded bliss, a terrific cruise with friends and family and a lifetime of joy (and more cruising!) :)

I am glad you posted, and may reach out to you with questions. Rowell and I live in SF and are looking at a 14-day round trip cruise in 2015 from SF to Alaska on Celebrity. For the past few weeks have been discussing the option of doing what you are, getting married on embarkation day. Since most of our family and friends are here in Nor Cal, it makes sense (wish it was a warmer cruise like you are taking - but we'll be cozy!).

How exiting for you both!!

Robert,

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!! My husband and I were just married on 12/12. It's so exciting. I have to tell you how impressed I am with your website and all your planning. You obviously know how to have a good time. :) You, Ralph, your families and friends are very lucky and are going to have a blast.

Thank you very much Michael..and congratulations to you both!!!

Robert and Ralph, what a great website you have created! Wishing you both all the best in wedded bliss, a terrific cruise with friends and family and a lifetime of joy (and more cruising!) :)

I am glad you posted, and may reach out to you with questions. Rowell and I live in SF and are looking at a 14-day round trip cruise in 2015 from SF to Alaska on Celebrity. For the past few weeks have been discussing the option of doing what you are, getting married on embarkation day. Since most of our family and friends are here in Nor Cal, it makes sense (wish it was a warmer cruise like you are taking - but we'll be cozy!).

How exiting for you both!!

Thanks Gary! Congratulations to you and Rowell. We would be happy to share our experiences. In fact, today is the 45 day countdown and we just received a final letter with wedding day timeline. We had already sent them ours and it is just the final clarifications. There has to be some flexibility due to Customs and Border Security so planning to make the most use of the time is key. Royal Ocean Events and NCL have been great.

We might have warmer weather, but a 14 day Alaska trip sounds wonderful.

You can reach us via the wedding website. It has our wedding e-mail address.