World cruise, apporx cost over and above basics??

Hflors

How much would it be to go on a world cruise? I checked out the 2017 cruise on Amsterdam and found out for a basic cabin, port taxes and tips the total is approx. $25,000.00 pp. But over and above that how much do people generally spend? I'm interested in someone who has done this and give me an idea of the total cost.

Thanks

I'd say there are far too many variables for a simple answer. One couple may spend next to nothing on board or on land while another may spend lavishly on excursions, wine, jewelry, gambling, spas, etc, etc. On a segment of a Grand Med cruise I overheard people talking about spending $30,000 on a necklace!

You have enough cruises to know what your habits are, and in the best position to make an estimate.

Edited by jtl513

I have not been on a world cruise, but am always hopeful. I figure that in addition to the known costs for gratuities, insurance, medical evacuation coverage, airfare, hotel stays, etc that I would figure on $100 per person per port. For 2017 that would be an additional $9400 which I would round up to $10,000. I would have at least three times that easily available and would not hesitate to spend it.

I met a fascinating couple on a transatlantic cruise who do world cruises with carry on baggage only and spend the minimum onboard. They arranged their own shore excursions, did not seem to miss much.

I don't know the exact amount, but my costs were about $10,000. I did not do an excursion in every port (often did a hop-on, hop-off bus) and I don't drink much alcohol, and gamble even less.

I just happened to find the copy of my onboard account yesterday. In four months I spent $4377.43. This included 16 ship excursions, 2 visits to the medical centre, two trips to the spa, a number of internet packages, and miscellaneous items. The cruise line paid for the gratuities.

Interesting question, and I"m looking forward to hearing what experienced world cruisers have to share.

My husband and I have been discussing this. We're about 10 years from retirement, and have a "world cruise" fund set up for a big splurge. We've thought about how much we need to be putting away now for that trip.

We've spent hundreds of nights on a cruise, but never longer than 14 days. On such a long cruise we realize our spending habits will be different. We've talked about this a lot - not really because we're obsessing about the details, but more because it's fun planning, even if it is so far ahead.

Here are some of the things we've talked about, and how we think the world cruise spending will be different than our standard cruise.

Factors we think will be more money on the World Cruise:

-Shore excursions. We're very experienced in the Caribbean and Europe and tend to do solo things, but the majority of the world cruise will be places new to us, or places where we'd be safer on an organized tour. There are also bound to be 'once in a lifetime" experiences, some that might even require a flight from port, so we defnitely see this being a major expenditure over what we're accustomed to.

-Insurance, Visas, etc. We would need cancellation protection, trip insurance, medical insurance....I havent looked into any of this yet, but expect this will cost us and we're prepared that it will be worth it.

Factors we think will be less:

-Alcohol, onboard account. Since we will feel more "settled in" than a "fit-it-all-in" 10 day extravaganza, we'd probably splurge less each day. Also on port days we'd be less likely to drink the night before.

-Thermal suite, spa - same as with alcohol, we anticipate we would feel more like we are living on the ship, than on a vacation where we would need to fit everything in.

But who am I to say? We've never been, this is just our dream. I wanted to share our thoughts, though, because this post hit close to home. DH and I have been discussing the very same thing most of last week.

Edited by WeLoveCruising

We met a couple on the Prinsendam who had recently completed the Amsterdam WC (2014). They were in an inside cabin, and said their final "All-in" cost was $50,000. They researched the ports and arranged many private group excursions. Ship's excursions in less stable areas. Small bar bill and few spa outings.

This was their "Retirement starter" trip that they planned for. We would love to do the WC when we reach that point!

I am so glad that you asked that question. I asked a similar question regarding off ship expenses a couple of weeks ago and did receive a response from one present, world cruise member. It was most appreciated. His estimated off-ship expenses, such as excursions, was $125/day. Obviously, it depends on whether you like independent touring or ship tours. And, of course, the particular country visited may be determinative.

Expenses aboard ship are too individual to give a reasonable estimate.

It would be helpful if some of the other world cruise bloggers, past and present, respond. I would particularly like to hear if certain categories of on board expenses change substantially on a world cruise as opposed to non-Grand Voyage cruise. One poster suggested this interesting scenario.

I would particularly like to hear if certain categories of on board expenses change substantially on a world cruise as opposed to non-Grand Voyage cruise.
I've read that gambling is considerably lower on World/Grand Voyages.

Obviously this can vary widely, class of cabin, how you get to first port, drinks, excursions, specialty restaurants, wine, the list goes on and on. Our first world cruise is next year and based on some pretty detailed analysis/estimating I believe our cost will be approximately $65k for the two of us.

One of the biggest costs off the ship for us is a six day side trip in China.

Our first world cruise is next year and based on some pretty detailed analysis/estimating I believe our cost will be approximately $65k for the two of us.
And most likely if you did a 2nd or 3rd WC your costs would drop considerably both on and off the ship, just like newbies spend much more or shorter cruises than old hands.

And most likely if you did a 2nd or 3rd WC your costs would drop considerably both on and off the ship, just like newbies spend much more or shorter cruises than old hands.

I can see where that would be the case but we aren't doing many organized excursions, in many ports we are just walking to sites. Of course, we are paying entrance fees etc. Our total off board costs are around 10k, another 10k for tips, speciality restaurants, happy hour, wine, various events like theme dinners, it adds up.

Hi - am currently in the throes of deciding to World Cruise

Having done quite a few cruises - I would figure a 100 day RTW would need about 5000 dollars pp of 'spending money' to cover all expenses after arriving onboard - not taking into account tips/travel insurance/new baggage etc

Based on - I don't drink alcohol - I don't smoke - do a mix of ship excursions, private excursions and self walking/hop on hop off tours - buy a small amount of ships photos - do not over indulge in the onboard shops and do not do spas - but - have lots of fun and just enjoy being onboard as well as reaching a destination

Never feel I miss out on anything

Of course, the credit card is always there if extra $$$ is needed

Ahoy!

Like most cruises for the two of us (BTW, I recently cancelled the 2017 HAL cruise) I always budget for three folks (3X the cruise cost versus 2X the cruise cost) budget-wise as a 'ball-park' figure.

This includes trip insurance, on board expenses (beverage & spa), port excursions (HAL & private), visas, auto tips, AL tickets transfers, etc. (which is a good thing, no?)

Example: $4000 for a 14 day cruise for two. Add $2000 for expenses = $6000

WC= $40,000 for two (116 days: we're talking interior cabin here). Add $20,000 for overall expenses (how often do you do a WC?) = approx. $60,000 total .

Needless to say, your probably not going to spend that much money (we always seem to be under budget on prior cruises) but conservative budgeting is not a bad thing for planning IMO.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

Edited by prescottbob
spelling

You are confusing me. (Not difficult) You said "2x the cruise cost." But the example you gave was only 50%: $40,000 for 2, plus $20,000 for additional costs." Is my math bad or did I misread it?

Ahoy!

Sorry. I guess I wasn't clear.

Number-wise: $20K per person (interior) X 2 =2X Cruise cost= $40K.

Then I just add another 'ghost' person (i.e. other expenses) to make it 3X = $60K total.

I just do 'ball park' figuring whenever planning a cruise. 9 times out of 10 we usually come under budget which is good! Then we have some leftover 'dough' to plan another cruise!

Sorry for the mix up.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

Edited by prescottbob
spelling

Another factor - if this still exists. In the past for the full World Cruise and other Full Grand Voyages, if you reserve early and cabins are above a certain level (veranda and above I believe), free luggage shipping is included as are the gratuities. This was a significant savings, but the deadline for such was a long time before the cruise. One would need to check if such offers are still being made available.

In 2014 we went on a full Grand Voyage. Reservations were for a ocean view cabin - very early reservation. This included two pieces of luggage shipped for "free". A few months before the cruise we took a nice upgrade offer to a veranda. But we did NOT get the "unlimited luggage" perk nor were our gratuties paid for. For us it was still less expensive, but not by much.

I don't think they do that with gratuities any more but if you booked a F category or higher I think you got two suitcases per passenger shipped for free. I would much rather have the gratuities as that is around $2,500 per stateroom. Being cheap and also retired by the time of our WC we are renting a car to FLL, about a nine hour drive so luggage is not a issue for us. I can get a one way rental for around $125.

An additional way to save is to do an early final payment, May of 2016 in our case for a 3% discount. You can still cancel up to the final payment date. That's a nice savings.

Edited by KirkNC

Here is another question I had. What do you do about income taxes? Do you file for an extension? Do you have an accountant do it?

Do it yourself. It involves signing your names to a one-page docment that you can pull offline from irs.gov. Nothing to it.

Do it yourself. It involves signing your names to a one-page docment that you can pull offline from irs.gov. Nothing to it.

And the extension is good until October 15th. It is an automatic extension in that it does not need approval. Of course, you are required to pay at the time you file the extension what you anticipate you will ultimately owe for the preceding year.

Sorry TG, just saw your additional comments.

Just a bit more complicated. You do have to pay any taxes due when you file for an extension. Not an issue unless you are under withheld. If you still owe, penalties and interests will apply.

Edited by RocketMan275

Sorry TG, just saw your additional comments.

Just a bit more complicated. You do have to pay any taxes due when you file for an extension. Not an issue unless you are under withheld. If you still owe, penalties and interests will apply.

True, a fact with which I am frequently confronted. OP wanted to know how to file an extension and if an accountant is needed. Since motions for extension are normally neded when a return has not been completed, usually it is necessary to simply estimate if and how much will be owed. An accountant may not be able at that juncture to do any better. The application itself is very simple.

I don't think they do that with gratuities any more but if you booked a F category or higher I think you got two suitcases per passenger shipped for free. I would much rather have the gratuities as that is around $2,500 per stateroom. Being cheap and also retired by the time of our WC we are renting a car to FLL, about a nine hour drive so luggage is not a issue for us. I can get a one way rental for around $125.

An additional way to save is to do an early final payment, May of 2016 in our case for a 3% discount. You can still cancel up to the final payment date. That's a nice savings.

Kirk

Unless I mistaken the gratuities are prepaid for OV staterooms C-F Check the Cruise Atlas Page 172.

Janet