One day in Sydney

bconley351

We will probably arrive one day early for our cruise which departs out of Sydney. It will probably be a red eye that lands either 8 or 9:30am. While sleeping on a plane is difficult for us, we know it's best to just get out there and start touring to force our bodies onto the new time zone. Also, in all likelihood our hotel room won't be ready (more questions about that later). Are there any good hop off-hop on possibilities in Sydney to give us a taste of the sights? We found that worked quite well in Rome. We'll also have to figure out the best place to stay to be near a pick up point for an option like this, but aren't against taking public transport to a pick up point.

We will probably arrive one day early for our cruise which departs out of Sydney. It will probably be a red eye that lands either 8 or 9:30am. While sleeping on a plane is difficult for us, we know it's best to just get out there and start touring to force our bodies onto the new time zone. Also, in all likelihood our hotel room won't be ready (more questions about that later). Are there any good hop off-hop on possibilities in Sydney to give us a taste of the sights? We found that worked quite well in Rome. We'll also have to figure out the best place to stay to be near a pick up point for an option like this, but aren't against taking public transport to a pick up point.

Am I assuming correctly that you are flying into Sydney from the USA? What city/area? Why am I asking? As noted in the live/blog below, we got off of the Solstice in February after an Australia to New Zealand sailing over 14 days. It's a long, long "process" required for getting to Australia. Getting there a day ahead of your sailing is good, maybe, if and if!!

BUT, I would suggest you consider getting there an extra day or so ahead. Why? Both to allow more time for your "body clock" to adjust, AND . . . to allow more time to see and experience wonderful Sydney.

Some type of "hop-on bus" is an option, but I would question whether that would be the "best" way to do things there. Yes, Sydney has various parks, museums, shopping, etc. Most big cities have those. In my view, the three best, really unique and special options area:

1. The Opera House, how it was designed and built, its performance offerings and spectacular setting, etc.

2. The Harbour Bridge, how it was designed and built, its spectacular setting, etc.

3. Cruising the many harbor areas of Sydney, seeing its sights, beaches, homes, natural wonders, buildings, etc.

The Rocks is also fun and very interesting. My point/suggestions is that much of what we viewed as the "best" in Sydney was more in and around the Quay, Opera House, Harbour Bridge, Rocks, etc. All fairly close and handy for walking around. Some type of Hop-On bus will take you "around", but is that really giving you the best sample of the "BEST" that makes Sydney so special and unique?

Tell us more on what you most seek and like when visiting large cities such as Sydney.

Check out these postings for much more info/background on this great city, its many options, etc. Happy to answer any added questions. Fire away!! Don't be shy!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 75,666 views for this fun posting.

I totally agree with Terry's recommendations to: 1) arrive in Sydney more than one day in advance of your cruise and 2) forego any HO/HO bus and walk to the sites.

1) There is much more to see/do in and around Sydney than can be done in a day. Unless you plan to return to Sydney for a few days after your cruise, then you should try to get to Sydney at least 3 - 4 days in advance of your cruise. Not only will this help insure that you are over your jetlag by the time you board the ship, but also you will have time to see the sights of Sydney, including a day to the Blue Mountains. (The 3 things Terry listed are among my favorites in Sydney too, but they are just a drop in the bucket of what's available.)

2) Walking is a better way to get over jet lag than sitting on a bus. Also, as previously stated, the major sites in Sydney are not that far apart. And, it's even possible to walk from the CBD to Circular Quay to The Rocks to Darling Harbour. (I've done it many times.)

I totally agree with Terry's recommendations to: 1) arrive in Sydney more than one day in advance of your cruise and 2) forego any HO/HO bus and walk to the sites. (The 3 things Terry listed are among my favorites in Sydney too, but they are just a drop in the bucket of what's available.) 2) Walking is a better way to get over jet lag than sitting on a bus. Also, as previously stated, the major sites in Sydney are not that far apart. And, it's even possible to walk from the CBD to Circular Quay to The Rocks to Darling Harbour. (I've done it many times.)

Appreciate the excellent listing from Globaliser and the above comments by GradUT to re-enforce my original points. For some large cities, especially in Europe, the "stars" are more spread out and such a hop-on bus is more needed. Walking in Sydney is super wonderful. So many great sites and sights. We did spend some time in the main, heart of the Sydney Central Business District. What's unique and so special, takes you back, however, closer to the water-related places such as the Opera House, Harbour Bridge, Rocks, etc.

Below are a few of my visual highlights to help be "proof" on why we believe what we liked so much in Sydney.

KEY TIP: Read up and research ahead on your potentials for Sydney. Figure out what's best for your interests, personal style, etc. Can't do it "ALL" in Sydney with even four or five days there. Have plans "A" and "B" in case of weather challenges during your limited time there.

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 75,773 views for this fun posting.

We got great views of the harbor and shoreline areas on a Captain Cook harbor tour. We also enjoyed seeing the Rocks historic area with a shopping/market day. This water cruising worked well for seeing the Opera House and Harbour Bridge from different angles, beach scene with its nice bathhouse building, seeing Luna Park on the other side of the Harbour Bridge, etc. It was a fun narration done on this ship, pointing out celebrity homes, learning historic details, etc.:

GBRLizIslanReef5_zpsacc65f85.jpg

GBRLizIslanReef6_zps9fb130d7.jpg

Here we are in the Opera House's Joan Sutherland Theatre intermission lobby with its unique glass structuring that overlooking the harbor. This angle shows its unusual construction design/style.:

SidneyTwo11_zps5c7e6acc.jpg

Outside of the building, we were able to see and feel these tiles that were special made in Sweden. These roof tiles are actually made of two different tone on outside of Opera House roof. If these tiles were pure white, it would be too bright and glaring.:

SidneyTwoA1_zps2d23dc8e.jpg

From our last afternoon in Sydney, here are two samples from the walking “Free Tour” group we did that started at their City Hall. It included seeing this statue of the monarch at the Queen Victoria Building (now a three-level shopping area) and St. Mary’s Cathedral. These areas mixes older, classical buildings from their native sandstone, plus soaring new skyscrapers with dramatic designs. So much people and activity in these wonderful downtown areas. We also saw a statue of their first Governor, Macquarie, who shaped much of the early development here in Australia.:

SydneyDepartSolstice10_zps1d7cfd5b.jpg

SydneyDepartSolstice13_zps4d0755d0.jpg

>>We also saw a statue of their first Governor, Macquarie, who shaped much of the early development here in Australia.: <<

Um…. Arthur Phillip was the first Governor.

Macquarie was the 5th (and last autocratic) and yes responsible for a lot of development of Australia, especially the interior.

Rather than the harbour cruise that will take up significant time, also consider the ferry from circular quay and under the bridge around to Darling Harbour. If you alight at wildlife world/aquarium, it is only a short walk up to the Queen Vic Building (actually 4 levels and a 5th a and b you would not notice as it is down escalators )

If you only have one day, as a local who has hosted lots of OS visitors from a variety of places..

I would focus on the The Rocks and the Opera House, head west under the bridge (your cruise will take you east), up through Darling Harbour and across to Town Hall, not called city hall and you may get some odd looks/sent the wrong way if you ask for directions to city hall as we have Market City as a major shopping mall area just down the street, then QVB, across through Strand Arcade and into Pitt St Mall, back up to Market St (right), into Hyde park and across to St Mary's then down Macquarie St past the sandstone heritage buildings and to the Opera House and botanic gardens.

Ohhh,

and I just remembered the tiles were actually made here. The construction method was developed in Sweden (based on japanese ceramic bowls) and then the kilns etc were set up near where the steps currently are.

You can buy a tile on the opera house :)

I went in 3 days early.. first day walked around- went to the street fair, had lunch,, a small walking tour of the Rocks area , early dinner.. next day I went to the beach. The 3d day did the bridge climb and relax before i flew to join a tour.. i was glad i had more time at the end of the tour. i added in the zoo and another beach day. it takes me 2 plus days to get over jet lag. .you need the extra time there.

Um…. Arthur Phillip was the first Governor. Macquarie was the 5th (and last autocratic) and yes responsible for a lot of development of Australia, especially the interior.

Appreciate this update and added information. From Wikipedia, they have this summary: "Major-General Lachlan Macquarie (January 31, 1762 – July 1, 1824) was a British Army officer and colonial administrator from Scotland. He served as the fifth and last autocratic Governor of New South Wales from 1810 to 1821, and had a leading role in the social, economic and architectural development of the colony. He is considered by historians to have had a crucial influence on the transition of New South Wales from a penal colony to a free settlement and therefore to have played a major role in the shaping of Australian society in the early nineteenth century. An inscription on his tomb in Scotland describes him as 'The Father of Australia'."

Will update on my files. Sharp eye and mind!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 156,870 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 4 weeks later...

Lots of good suggestions and it does really depend on what your interests are. Yes it isn't too difficult to walk around our beautiful city but there is some benefit in taking up the option of the Hop On/Hop Off bus known as the Sydney Explorer http://www.theaustralianexplorer.com.au/sydney-bondi-explorer.html With this you can also visit Bondi but catching a ferry from Circular Quay to Manly is just as lovely. If you decide on public transport consider a Multi Day Pass for around A$23 this gives you unlimited train, bus & ferry transport. You'll find more information here http://www.sydneytrains.info/tickets/which/mymulti_day Above all don't attempt to do too much pick the things that interest you the most and get value out of your visit. I hope you have a wonderful time in our fabulous city.

We stayed two days pre-cruise and two days post-cruise in Sydney and would have loved to stay longer. Don't forget the free bus (555) that can take you up and down George Street within certain hours during the day. We did the ferry from Circular Quay to Darling Harbour which was very nice.

Appreciate the excellent listing from Globaliser and the above comments by GradUT to re-enforce my original points. For some large cities, especially in Europe, the "stars" are more spread out and such a hop-on bus is more needed. Walking in Sydney is super wonderful. So many great sites and sights. We did spend some time in the main, heart of the Sydney Central Business District. What's unique and so special, takes you back, however, closer to the water-related places such as the Opera House, Harbour Bridge, Rocks, etc.

Below are a few of my visual highlights to help be "proof" on why we believe what we liked so much in Sydney.

KEY TIP: Read up and research ahead on your potentials for Sydney. Figure out what's best for your interests, personal style, etc. Can't do it "ALL" in Sydney with even four or five days there. Have plans "A" and "B" in case of weather challenges during your limited time there.

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 75,773 views for this fun posting.

We got great views of the harbor and shoreline areas on a Captain Cook harbor tour. We also enjoyed seeing the Rocks historic area with a shopping/market day. This water cruising worked well for seeing the Opera House and Harbour Bridge from different angles, beach scene with its nice bathhouse building, seeing Luna Park on the other side of the Harbour Bridge, etc. It was a fun narration done on this ship, pointing out celebrity homes, learning historic details, etc.:

GBRLizIslanReef5_zpsacc65f85.jpg

GBRLizIslanReef6_zps9fb130d7.jpg

Here we are in the Opera House's Joan Sutherland Theatre intermission lobby with its unique glass structuring that overlooking the harbor. This angle shows its unusual construction design/style.:

SidneyTwo11_zps5c7e6acc.jpg

Outside of the building, we were able to see and feel these tiles that were special made in Sweden. These roof tiles are actually made of two different tone on outside of Opera House roof. If these tiles were pure white, it would be too bright and glaring.:

SidneyTwoA1_zps2d23dc8e.jpg

From our last afternoon in Sydney, here are two samples from the walking “Free Tour” group we did that started at their City Hall. It included seeing this statue of the monarch at the Queen Victoria Building (now a three-level shopping area) and St. Mary’s Cathedral. These areas mixes older, classical buildings from their native sandstone, plus soaring new skyscrapers with dramatic designs. So much people and activity in these wonderful downtown areas. We also saw a statue of their first Governor, Macquarie, who shaped much of the early development here in Australia.:

SydneyDepartSolstice10_zps1d7cfd5b.jpg

SydneyDepartSolstice13_zps4d0755d0.jpg

I recollect you had seats for the opera. We will be booking ours in a few weeks and I wondered if there is any area in the theatre that you would not recommend

I recollect you had seats for the opera. We will be booking ours in a few weeks and I wondered if there is any area in the theatre that you would not recommend

Appreciate your good question on the opera seating options in Sydney. These two below visuals might help for those planning to visit and see a performance here. There are two large "houses" within the multi-stage Sydney Opera House complex. Most operas, including Madam Butterfly, will be staged in the Joan Sutherland Theatre. This is where we saw the "Magic Flute" opera with music by some guy named Mozart. It was much enjoyed. Got tickets for the 11 am show on the day before when we did tour of the complex. Below is a picture that shows the set-up for this theater doing the operas. Also below is the other large theatre that is more set-up for orchestra and other such performances.

Are you getting ticket for an opera there?

Personally for us, being closer to the stage was better than being too far back and/or in the more distant balcony. This is not a large, large setting, so most seat are fairly good. I took this below visual from our seats, about the 14th row, right side. Worked well for us. My view, however, is that you don't want to be too close or it is hard to capture the "feel" for the overall production on its good-sized stage. In part, it depends what type and style of opera production you are planning to see. We could see and hear very well for our seats and location.

Does this help?

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 159,614 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are my pictures of the interiors for the two main, large theaters at the Sydney Opera House. First is the Joan Sutherland Theatre that is used primarily for opera/stage performances. It was renamed for one of Australia’s greatest artists in October 2012. This theater is on the eastern side of the complex and has 1,507 seats. Second is the grand setting of the wooden-paneled and cathedral-like Concert Hall with the acoustics from high vaulted ceiling for symphony performances. It features white birch timber panelling. The Concert Hall has 2,679 seats and contains a Grand Organ with over 10,000 pipes.:

SydOperaHsA12_zpsa48848c9.jpg

SydOperaHsA11_zps06ad7052.jpg

My preferred spots are in L,M and N in the middle BUT these would be hard to come by as they are for subscribers normally. Its quite good back as far as R.

Whilst the house is close to perfect acoustically if sound is you thing then the middle is much better even further back. if it's the visuals then closer but do try to avoid the last 3-5 seats on each side. They aren't bad, just not as good.

DO NOT get a box. IMHO you feel a bit disconnected and the ones towards the middle are not offset enough for my liking.

In terms of best choice for tickets Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays for some reason always seem to have better seating options. if you are not on the ship already check the cruise schedules and try to avoid a night one of the big ships are in.

My preferred spots are in L,M and N in the middle BUT these would be hard to come by as they are for subscribers normally. Its quite good back as far as R.

Whilst the house is close to perfect acoustically if sound is you thing then the middle is much better even further back. if it's the visuals then closer but do try to avoid the last 3-5 seats on each side. They aren't bad, just not as good.

DO NOT get a box. IMHO you feel a bit disconnected and the ones towards the middle are not offset enough for my liking.

In terms of best choice for tickets Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays for some reason always seem to have better seating options. if you are not on the ship already check the cruise schedules and try to avoid a night one of the big ships are in.

Thank you so much. We only have one night, a Friday, when our ship arrives. I am getting on the Sydney Opera website on the day that single tickets are available, October 20, to see what we can get.....I'll start checking around October 18 MST.

Thank you so much. We only have one night, a Friday, when our ship arrives. I am getting on the Sydney Opera website on the day that single tickets are available, October 20, to see what we can get.....I'll start checking around October 18 MST.

Good luck on your search!! Are you in Sydney this year or next year? We were very impressed by the professionalism of the company, its performers, etc.

Report back and tell us how things all worked out.

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 80,530 views for this fun posting.

Good luck on your search!! Are you in Sydney this year or next year? We were very impressed by the professionalism of the company, its performers, etc.

Report back and tell us how things all worked out.

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 80,530 views for this fun posting.

We will be in Sydney next February. I will definitely report back!

That means the tickets will be about 2+ hours from now on your 19th…

Terry, while this sounds a bit parochial, Australia actually has a rich history of Opera and entry to Opera Australia is keenly contested by aspiring singers from all around the world. Our public wouldn't accept a poor quality showing for the arts as they get huge funding from the government.

http://australia.gov.au/about-australia/australian-story/opera-in-australia

Terry, while this sounds a bit parochial, Australia actually has a rich history of Opera and entry to Opera Australia is keenly contested by aspiring singers from all around the world. Our public wouldn't accept a poor quality showing for the arts as they get huge funding from the government.

Appreciate the added follow-up and background from our smart Sydney poster. Not at all parochial!! As I mentioned, we were impressed by what we saw there at the one performance while in Sydney at the Opera House. Given the English connection and the early frontier/prisoner history of Australia, it is kind of surprising that Opera became so popular in your nation. BUT, it has happened for us learning that important detail and we are glad to have experienced a small sampling of it, know the Joan Sutherland connections, etc.

Any added insights, reasons for how and why it all happened this way?

THANKS for sharing! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 185,644 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Given the English connection and the early frontier/prisoner history of Australia, it is kind of surprising that Opera became so popular in your nation.
Why should it be in the least bit surprising that a modern, civilised and prosperous country should have flourishing performing arts of all forms? Or that a culture that's largely based on Western European heritage should include opera amongst those forms?

Contrary to the old (and stale) stand-up comic's joke, it's no longer compulsory to have a criminal record to get into Australia.

This really should have been as surprising to you as finding that the USA boasts a number of symphony orchestras, notwithstanding its long history of cowboys.

Why should it be in the least bit surprising that a modern, civilised and prosperous country should have flourishing performing arts of all forms? Or that a culture that's largely based on Western European heritage should include opera amongst those forms?

Contrary to the old (and stale) stand-up comic's joke, it's no longer compulsory to have a criminal record to get into Australia.

This really should have been as surprising to you as finding that the USA boasts a number of symphony orchestras, notwithstanding its long history of cowboys.

I was going to let the first part of the comment go through to the keeper.

We actually bat above our weight in most things,(like our near neighbours) look at medal tally's from Olympics as an example in per capita results, or Nobel Prizes or World Events.

It was once said we strive for identity so we take on all things and do them well. I think we just got all the good genes and the benefit of a fantastic environment.

Australia has a long history of touring artists performing there. The famous and delicious Australian/New Zealand dessert, Pavlova was named for the famous Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova who originated Odile/Odette and Swan Lake when performed there in her 1926 world tour. Pavlova which consists of a meringue and tropical fruits it light and delicious. No one is 100% certain who invented Pavlova or if it was definitely invented in Australia or New Zealand, but the dessert is common and a salute to a great artist. Make no mistake, Australians have ALWAYS had an appreciation for the arts.

Now check out this interesting link for a history of opera in Australia:

Edited by SuiteTraveler

BTW, with one day in Sydney, we walked around town, then by reservation, climbed the Sydney Harbour Bridge to arrive at the apex at dusk, ate dinner at Nick's Seafood Restaurant to have Morton Bay Bugs. The next morning we got up (sore from the bridge climb) and took a Sydney Harbour Cruise. Yes, you can pack a lot of action into 24 hours! If you plan an extra day, I would recommend a visit to the Taronga Zoo. It's FABULOUS!