Amtrak to Ft. Lauderdale

Dets_Girl

Greetings everyone:

Husband and I are considering the Panama Canal cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles (San Pedro) next year. We plan to take Amtrak to Ft Lauderale - we have taken the train from Los Angeles several times and know the in's and outs of taking the train from there to home.

We have not cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale - can anyone offer advice on Amtrak's arrival location in relation to the port where Princess departs?

Does anyone know of a hotel that runs a shuttle to/from train station and/or to/from the port?

Or does anyone have a good hotel recommendation that is not to far from the port?

We would appreciate any other tid-bits you want to offer, things we need to know perhaps we have not thought of yet?

Thanks in advance!

Edie

Greetings everyone:

Husband and I are considering the Panama Canal cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles (San Pedro) next year. We plan to take Amtrak to Ft Lauderale - we have taken the train from Los Angeles several times and know the in's and outs of taking the train from there to home.

We have not cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale - can anyone offer advice on Amtrak's arrival location in relation to the port where Princess depart

Does anyone know of a hotel that runs a shuttle to/from train station and/or to/from the port?

Or does anyone have a good hotel recommendation that is not to far from the port?

We would appreciate any other tid-bits you want to offer, things we need to know perhaps we have not thought of yet?

Thanks in advance!

Edie

200 Southwest 21st Terrace

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312

The above is the address. I am not sure where this is in relation to hotels, etc. There are a number of good hotels near the Port. We stay at the Embassy Suites on 17th Street. Here is the link. Lots of restaurants in the area.

http://embassysuites3.hilton.com/en/hotels/florida/embassy-suites-fort-lauderdale-17th-street-FLLSOES/index.html

Very easy to get a cab when heading to the ship, or they also offer a shuttle to the Port at about $8pp

Depending on where you want to stay, I would call them and ask about distance to train station, etc.

You could also contact Super Shuttle (or similar) and see if they offer pick up at the train station.

I also like to stay in the 17th street corridor near the shopping center with Publix/Total Wines. Besides the Embassy Suites there is a Hyatt Place, Holiday Inn Express, Renaissance and several others in that vicinity. The hotels might be able to give you an estimate on the taxi fares from the Amtrak station of you call them directly.

I'm a fan of the Marriott Renaissance hotel on 17th St. It's near the port plus walking distance to restaurants and there's a Walgreens right across the street for munchie attacks or forgotten things.

I tried to figure out a way to get from Amtrak in FLA to the port. From what I was able to gather, there are few hotels in the area of the station and none will take you to the port.

The train we would have been taking came in after 6PM (I think) and I couldn't find any way to travel from there at that time of night.

Good luck

I tried to figure out a way to get from Amtrak in FLA to the port. From what I was able to gather, there are few hotels in the area of the station and none will take you to the port.

The train we would have been taking came in after 6PM (I think) and I couldn't find any way to travel from there at that time of night.

Good luck

Cab?

I stuck the address in the yellow cab fare estimator, and it

says $18 - $19 train station to port.

http://www.yellowcabbroward.com/fare.aspx

200 Southwest 21st Terrace Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312

1850 Eller Dr, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316

Cab?

I stuck the address in the yellow cab fare estimator, and it

says $18 - $19 train station to port.

http://www.yellowcabbroward.com/fare.aspx

200 Southwest 21st Terrace Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312

1850 Eller Dr, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316

Good idea...at the time cab didn't enter my thought process. I was looking at everything BUT that for some reason:eek:

Greetings everyone:

Edie

OK, I have to ask... How long does Amtrak take from LA to FLL? We cruised from SF to Vancouver in May and took Amtrak home to Chico, CA. It started with a 3.5 hour bus ride and then an 18.5 hour train ride. LA to FLL must take a very long time!

We did the train back from Vancouver partly because it was so inexpensive. For a trip of the sort you are talking about one would have to have a sleeper car. I don't remember the cost to fly but I thought it was a fairly inexpensive flight between FLL and LA. If it's not being way too nosey can you tell me why you are taking the train?

I'm curious as we are taking the SF to FLL Panama Canal trip next year and haven't made any plans regarding the return trip yet.

OK, I have to ask... How long does Amtrak take from LA to FLL? We cruised from SF to Vancouver in May and took Amtrak home to Chico, CA. It started with a 3.5 hour bus ride and then an 18.5 hour train ride. LA to FLL must take a very long time!

We did the train back from Vancouver partly because it was so inexpensive. For a trip of the sort you are talking about one would have to have a sleeper car. I don't remember the cost to fly but I thought it was a fairly inexpensive flight between FLL and LA. If it's not being way too nosey can you tell me why you are taking the train?

I'm curious as we are taking the SF to FLL Panama Canal trip next year and haven't made any plans regarding the return trip yet.

Partial answer to your question: some people don't fly...period.

DH hates to fly. We drive or take a train.

Haven't taken the train to FLL from LA yet, but we are leaving on Tuesday LA to NYC (not for a cruise :(:(). It will cost us less than driving/hotels/food. LA to CHI via sleeper car (meals included). 6 hour layover in CHI, then CHI to NYC in the "regular" seats = $940. Total travel time is something like 43 hours. If we had been willing to spend more money...a room with a bathroom from CHI to NYC would have been about $300 more.

The sleeper car is great. The conductor keeps the coffee pot full, makes up the beds, etc. The bathrooms are reserved for the occupants of the sleeper car AND there is a shower. It is very nice, but a really long trip. LA to FLL is probably similar.

As with cruises timing is everything. The day after I booked, the price went up $400.

Thrax:

We are not doing LA to Fort Lauderdale - we are doing Topeka to Fort Lauderdale and then LA to Topeka on the return.

Leave Topeka on a Wednesday - 5:18 a.m. arrive in Chicago - 3 hour layover and change trains.

Then to Washington DC - 6 hour layover & change trains

Then to Ft. Lauderdale - arrive Thursday evening at 6:02 p.m.

Leave LA on a Sunday - at 1:20 p.m. - arrive back to Topeka Tues., at 5:18 a.m. Direct - no stops or changes.

You can go to Amtrak's web page pick any dates and see the travel time and get ball park pricing.

And it's not being nosey - we just prefer not to fly. We drove over the road for years and we enjoy seeing the countryside as we travel.

Hi- We have been to Fort Lauderdale by Amtrak many times and take a cab

to the Holiday Inn Express on 17th St.- just down the street from the Embassy Suites, which we like also.

There have always been cabs at the Amtrak station. Just be sure to give the driver the specific address of your hotel. We always have a printed out map showing exactly how far the hotel is from the station.

cruiseapril is correct, there are always cabs at the station when the train arrives. And, if for some reason there isn't or not enough, the station personnel can call for one for you.

There are no hotels in the vicinity of the Amtrak station in Fort Lauderdale.

Good luck

I didn't read all the replies but I'll jump in there with what I know.

Firstly, the train station is in a bad part of town. NO WAY should you stay in the area close to the train. Get off the train and immediately jump into a cab. Do not think of trying to dick around with a hotel shuttle.

Stay in a hotel on 17th Street or stay on the beach. You'll be within walking distance to restaurants and shopping.