wi-fi/communications question

ridon

We are on the Navigator Montreal-Miami cruise departing on 22 Oct. We have 3 hours complimentary telephone time and unlimited wi-fi. I have a verizon 3g

i-phone and a macbook air osx 10.9.4. My technical expertise ends at turning them on and off, and reading/sending email. Will my i-phone suffice for my comm needs or should I also bring my macbook? Also, my son is based in Saudi Arabia, will I be able to call him or are calls limited to the US?

I'm a cave man when it comes to these things and need any advice the Regent board can offer. Thanks and Semper Fi.

You can call anywhere in the world using the included phone service. We were able to call our son when he was stationed in Egypt.

The wifi will work with your phone, but I bring my iPad as I have to work some too. And the phone is just tedious to do hat.

I agree that iPhone will work with wifi on board, but I don't like the small screen for much web browsing and typing email. I much prefer a larger screen.

It really depends on how much you will be using wifi whether bringing a laptop is necessary. They do have a computer center where you can use the ship's computers to get on the internet though that can sometimes be busy.

Personally, I always take my iPad or my Macbook Air as well as my iPhone. I like getting on the internet wherever I am on the ship and whenever I want to. I use it a lot for reading news and magazines online so I prefer a larger screen than the IPhone has.

Assuming you do not want to use your iphone as a telephone, be sure and put it and your MAC in airplane mode and then setup wifi. This will avoid any nasty surprises when you get your next bill.

We are booked on a cruise next year with 75 minutes of phone time and limited wifi. We would like to exchange the phone minutes for more wifi minutes. Does anyone know if this is allowed?

No but I did give my free phone minutes to a passenger who had an emergency at home. But sorry you can't trade them in, good idea though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've made many ship to shore telephone calls from my cabin and they were great. I had 3 hours phone time BUT if I did not have the telephone hours a call is $6.50 a minute! I just used telephone in my cabin - very efficient.

Edited by TedC

We are on the Navigator Montreal-Miami cruise departing on 22 Oct. We have 3 hours complimentary telephone time and unlimited wi-fi. I have a verizon 3g

i-phone and a macbook air osx 10.9.4. My technical expertise ends at turning them on and off, and reading/sending email. Will my i-phone suffice for my comm needs or should I also bring my macbook? Also, my son is based in Saudi Arabia, will I be able to call him or are calls limited to the US?

I'm a cave man when it comes to these things and need any advice the Regent board can offer. Thanks and Semper Fi.

Phone will work anywhere in the world - different rates for different places obviously. Sometimes the sat phone can sound like youre right next door, othertimes it could sound like you're on mars.

For inet - id personally bring a laptop as I prefer the full size keyboard and larger screen.

This is the first time we've booked a Regent Seven Seas cruise. In the past, we've done a couple of Cunard cruises and I seem to remember the wifi NOT allowing Skype calls. Anyone know if Skype works on Regent Cruises.

I'm not expect blistering wifi throughput, but does anyone know what speeds I can expect? We're on the Istanbul-Dubai run departing 31 Oct with 3 days in Israel. We booked it before the current "troubles" and probably wouldn't have if we had known it was coming.

Not too worried about a few sky rockets. Then, after that, there are the Gulf pirates.

ridon: When we were on the Voyager last month a man was using his iPhone to use "Face Time". He had to stand outside of the computer room to use it. If you are unfamiliar with Face Time (as I was), here is a link that explains it http://www.wikihow.com/Use-FaceTime . Since your son is in Saudi Arabia, this could be useful to you.