Help...coffee on voyager

rcandkc

We are on board right. My husband can't find any decent coffee. Tried pool grill and coffee connection. He finds both bad. On the Navigator he found good coffee in the Navigator lounge across from the library. Can anyone help?

We are on board right. My husband can't find any decent coffee. Tried pool grill and coffee connection. He finds both bad. On the Navigator he found good coffee in the Navigator lounge across from the library. Can anyone help?

For those who really understand and enjoy a real cup of coffee, Regent's coffee is awful and for us in over 10 years, has always been so. No excuse.

You will shortly read all kinds of reasons, but if they were aware, it could/should be much better. Maybe a mocha at the connection would be a little better.

Try going to the coffee machine -- either on deck 11 near the starboard entrance (when you are going to La Veranda) or at the coffee connection. Put a shot (or two) of espresso into the cup and then hit the coffee button. You can experiment with this to find a strength that suits your taste. While not perfect, it is generally better than what you get when you just order coffee.

Sometimes my DH orders a "Coffee Americano" which seems to be okay. One of the specialty restaurants (I think it is Signatures) also has what some people feel is better coffee.

A "really good cup of coffee" really depends upon what a person likes. While we would like to see Regent use a darker, richer bean, some people like what I call "coffee shop" coffee.

Good luck with your coffee making:-)

Try going to the coffee machine -- either on deck 11 near the starboard entrance (when you are going to La Veranda) or at the coffee connection. Put a shot (or two) of espresso into the cup and then hit the coffee button. You can experiment with this to find a strength that suits your taste. While not perfect, it is generally better than what you get when you just order coffee.

Sometimes my DH orders a "Coffee Americano" which seems to be okay. One of the specialty restaurants (I think it is Signatures) also has what some people feel is better coffee.

A "really good cup of coffee" really depends upon what a person likes. While we would like to see Regent use a darker, richer bean, some people like what I call "coffee shop" coffee.

Good luck with your coffee making:-)

Wouldn't it be nice if we could simply choose the roast we like instead of practicing to become a Barista?? :D

and the Mariner, and the Navigator, and, yes, every other cruise ship we've been on, Holland America and Silversea included, except the Le Ponant ships!

Also agree that you can come up with something acceptable at the coffee bar/machine, and you can ask for same in the dining room.

I am a tea drinker so I can't speak for myself. However, my Mom loves a good cup of coffee in the morning and that is impossible to find on a Regent ship. My Mom (who is a Holocaust survivor) never complains about food and will eat almost anything that is made for human consumption without complaint, does miss her coffee when aboard ship. Interestingly, a couple of years ago we took a one week cruise on Celebrity to Bermuda and she commented that the coffee in the specialty restaurant was the best she has ever had on ship. She states that sometimes the coffee in Compass Rose (both for breakfast and dinner) is acceptable, but that is the exception rather than the rule. She has commented that the quality of the coffee has deceased over the years, it was much better ten years ago.

gnomie :)

I found describing exactly what you want to the guys in the Coffee Connection helped, although I did end up accepting mediocre coffee. My best coffee on board a Regent Ship was on Navigator, but the use of Illy cans (commercial style) does not lead to great coffee no matter what!

Regent please take notice of yet another plea for good coffee. Decent beans and a little more training of the crew, getting them to barista level, would be appreciated, even applauded. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aloha All,

We are in the coffee business in Hawaii, and I can tell you from experience that it is really difficult to please everyone. There are more complex, possible aroma and flavor combinations possible in coffee than in wine, so you can imagine the massively varied experiences that Regent's customer population has with coffee prior to boarding the ships.

Having said this, Regent could really improve their brewed coffee, perhaps by trying various varietals and roasts for their daily brews and then taking comments (expensive and time consuming process) from customers.

Of course, coffee is around 98-99% water, so even with great filtration, I can not imagine a cruise ship have "outstanding" coffee, but they should be able to improve.

I found the espresso from the Illy machine in the cabin to be fairly good and also found that by ordering a short double or triple americano from the coffee bar, I could get a decent "brew" coffee. While I have am fairly critical of coffee, I can drink just about anything, so mediocre coffee is not that much of a big deal to me!

FYI: After my 2-3 cups in the morning, which I need in order to function, I did most of my coffee drinking on land as there is very good coffee to be found in the cafes in most of the Med ports (of course, I drink espresso straight up when in Europe)...

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark

Edited by HanaleiSailor

Oh Dear.

We had hoped Regent had reacted to the constant criticisms of its coffee. It would seem not.

As I and others have constantly written, the problem lies not in the strength nor in the machine but in the quality of the beans. They just don't use good quality beans.

On our forthcoming cruise we are thinking of bringing our own beans with us, but even this wouldn't shame the cost accountants at their HQ.

Unfortunately, Cruise Critic members that sail on Regent only represent approximately 5% of Regent customers. If there were enough comments made on the comment cards about the coffee, there is more of a possibility that there would a change. Changing from Illy to Nespresso, for instance, isn't an easy thing to do and it would cost thousands of dollars. I, for one, would not want costs to increase over coffee. It would seem that, if HanaleiSailor can deal with it, so can most of the rest of the passengers. Not sure if bringing your own beans would help. Are you sure that the barristas in the Coffee Connection would use your beans in their machine?

IMO, coffee is as subjective as food is which is why so many different types of beans are produced - something for everyone. It is like beer in a way.... some people like the dark, rich, malty ales (Porter and Stout) -- others like the hoppy brews (ESB, etc.) while some people enjoy the light Pilsners. Perhaps a cruise ship could create coffee for all tastes from one high quality bean. HanaleiSailor, could this be done?

Edited by Travelcat2

Oh Dear.

We had hoped Regent had reacted to the constant criticisms of its coffee. It would seem not.

As I and others have constantly written, the problem lies not in the strength nor in the machine but in the quality of the beans. They just don't use good quality beans.

On our forthcoming cruise we are thinking of bringing our own beans with us, but even this wouldn't shame the cost accountants at their HQ.

I have come to the conclusions that Regent is so focused on their upcoming IPO and cutting costs EVERYWHERE that they really don't care what the paying passengers think about their coffee (or other things for that matter). As with many other things on Regent, esp with regard to food, the cost cutting is adversely affecting the passenger experience. On our last few cruises there were numerous complaints made about the coffee, esp during breakfast. As I have said before, the bean counters are working overtime looking to cut costs wherever possible and it is quite apparent that food and beverage is one area where cost cutting has been excessive. No matter what some people on this board think, management has only one concern - and that is the IPO. People have been complaining big time regarding all the cutbacks, esp in service and food, but the situation has only gotten worse, not better. They may claim that they read the evaluations (which I believe they do), however, the cutbacks continue. Every time we board a cruise we are shocked at the many new cutbacks.

As soon as I have the time, I will post on CC my thoughts (both personal and professional) on the future of Regent. The Regent of the past will not be the Regent of the future and I personally do not believe that is a good thing.

gnomie :)

A couple of points.

Travelcat 2 seems almost alone in not disliking the Regent coffee. We've sailed with them a lot and invariably almost everyone dislikes their coffee.

Perhaps Travelcat will conduct a poll on his next Regent Cruise. An anti-coffee result might influence the 'coffee' bean counters at Head Office. It is such a pity to mar such a good product as Regent cruise with meanness.

A couple of points.

Travelcat 2 seems almost alone in not disliking the Regent coffee. We've sailed with them a lot and invariably almost everyone dislikes their coffee.

Perhaps Travelcat will conduct a poll on his next Regent Cruise. An anti-coffee result might influence the 'coffee' bean counters at Head Office. It is such a pity to mar such a good product as Regent cruise with meanness.

Nothing will influence the coffee bean counters at Regent. For TC2 to tell us that if HanaleiSailor can deal with it, so can most of the rest of the passengers, is sheer nonsense. How does she know everyone's taste in coffee. I may not be the expert that HanaleiSailor is, but I'm sure I have been drinking coffee for many more years than he has and I'm not sure he would make this statement.

If coffee is so subjective and that's the reason for so many beans, why does Regent,again related to what they charge, not offer us a decent cup of coffee as well as giving us the choices of some different beans?

That most people don't know a good coffee when they drink it or know an ordinary wine when they drink it, shouldn't give license for Regent to seek the lowest common denominator for all.

Unless I'm wrong, don't they pretty much charge everyone the same price for their cruises?

A couple of points.

My point was not that the coffee was good or not good -- simply that people have different tastes. Perhaps it was harsh to say that we have to deal with it - sorry but we actually do if we sail on Regent. I was trying to figure out if one top grade bean could be made to suit everyone's tastes. I doubt it but do not know definitively and think that HanaleiSailor might have some good input.

In all of our cruises, I have honestly not heard one person complain about the coffee on board (however, admittedly we do not sit around talking either about coffee or what we don't like about Regent). I don't love Regent's coffee. Like most people, I love the tastes of certain things on board the ship but not others. However, I don't expect Regent to change things that I do not l like.

What is especially upsetting is to read Regent being referred to in such a negative way. Isn't this thread about coffee -- not the IPO, or Regent being mean? This thread is sounding like it did six years ago when it was purchased by Apollo/Regent.

gnomie1: It is really sad that you will be starting a thread with the subject matter you described. Have you thought about saying these things to Regent management instead of on a public board? Just a thought.

On our last cruise (last month), we had some of the best food that we have had on any cruise (possibly due to the wonderful preparations of Executive Chef Jonathan Smid). The service was impeccable -- -- better than on some of our cruises and that includes cruises when the cruise line was still Radisson. The coffee that I had on the ship was fine. I'm picky about coffee -- I don't like Starbucks or coffee shop coffee. About the only coffee I like is freshly ground and prepared by my DH -- it is from French Roast beans and is deep, rich and very strong (no cream -- only a bit of sugar).

Since some of you feel so strongly about the coffee, why not drop a line to the President of Regent, Kunal Kamlani. He should be aware of how many people dislike their coffee. Speak for yourselves -- not for everyone you talk to on the ship since it only your opinion that counts and we can't speak for anyone else.

I love our Keurig with Green Mountain breakfast blend coffee. We do use filtered water and we love it. To think we used Folgers and can't stand the flavor now.

I find cruise ship coffee to be so so. I love Kona coffee but on the mild side. Kona is very unique in flavor it can be very strong. The price here is the same as Kona or HNL. Jamaican Blue is also very good as well.

Wow, so many coffee drinkers here. I hate Starbucks way too strong for me. Many new places have come around that are great especially in Washington State.

You can buy a good "pod" coffee machine for $50 these days. Forget spending hundreds on a Nespresso machine, they all use the same simple technology to do the same job and produce a good cup of coffee all things considered. They also come with a wide range of coffee strengths and styles and are pretty much foolproof (famous last words). I'm not a coffee connoisseur but to me it tastes as good as anything a barista could serve - and I live in Melbourne, AKA Coffee Central.

What is especially upsetting is to read Regent being referred to in such a negative way. Isn't this thread about coffee -- not the IPO, or Regent being mean? This thread is sounding like it did six years ago when it was purchased by Apollo/Regent.

gnomie1: It is really sad that you will be starting a thread with the subject matter you described. Have you thought about saying these things to Regent management instead of on a public board? Just a thought.

I find this amazing that you have the nerve to suggest to anyone to keep their thoughts to themselves and not post on a public board.

What do you mean referring to Regent in a negative way? Who decides what is permissable...you?

I find this amazing that you have the nerve to suggest to anyone to keep their thoughts to themselves and not post on a public board.

What do you mean referring to Regent in a negative way? Who decides what is permissable...you?

Obviously!

You can buy a good "pod" coffee machine for $50 these days. Forget spending hundreds on a Nespresso machine, they all use the same simple technology to do the same job and produce a good cup of coffee all things considered. They also come with a wide range of coffee strengths and styles and are pretty much foolproof (famous last words). I'm not a coffee connoisseur but to me it tastes as good as anything a barista could serve - and I live in Melbourne, AKA Coffee Central.

Sounds good to me:) I think the problem may be the beans used by Regent in their Illy machines. The upper suites do use Illy pod machines. I believe they currently offer decaf and regular coffee. If the coffee pods could compete pricewise with bulk beans, it would be a great idea for the Coffee Connection.

forgap: Another excellent suggestion!

Edited by Travelcat2

Aloha all,

I think that the one of the real coffee issues here has not been broached. With the current morning shore excursion situation on Regent, there are somewhere between six and 700 passengers nearly every morning who all want to drink two or 3 cups of coffee in the same one hour time frame. In our café, we serve some 500 to 800 drinks every day, but we do it over a 12 hour time frame; thus, it is possible to make quality drinks for every customer. And we have about eight staff members a day dedicated just to making drinks!

Having been on a galley tour twice on Regent, I do not see a way to serve so many customers in such a short time and still produce outstanding coffee. I do not know of any large commercial kitchen which produces really good coffee on a consistent basis. As a matter of fact, in the coffee industry, we say that one is either a coffee shop or a restaurant, but it is nearly impossible to be both and to do it well.

We also operate a coffee roasting business, so I do know that Regent has a large number of alternative coffees they could be purchasing, and I am sure that they could find something that most passengers would like more than what they are currently serving. When I spoke to the chefs on both of our galley tours, it was interesting to me that neither of them knew anything about the coffee procurement. Basically they just used what was purchased by Regent mgt.

Again as I stated in an earlier message, the best solution might be to to order some alternative coffees at different roasts, serve these coffees on different mornings of several cruises, and then get input from passengers about which they prefer.

I know that some of the pod machines can make really good coffee. But I really hate to see us using so much additional plastic that will be thrown away just to brew a single cup of coffee. Packaging for the pods is also quite expensive, so Regent would incur a large price increase in their coffee service. And with the heavy use on a cruise ship, on top of the fact that the salt air is not good for equipment, Regent would most likely need to get commercial models of any pod machines, and they are quite expensive and just one more thing that needs to be maintained in a suite.

Finally, to reiterate something I said in an earlier post, any cruiseship will most likely have difficulties making outstanding coffee simply due to the fact that the water on cruise ships is not the best and coffee is, of course, 99% water.

Again as I stated in a post above, I have been able to get some drinkable coffee at the coffee bar. I also drink the espresso from the Illy machine in the suite, but in the Mediterranean, I did most of my coffee drinking on land as there are great cafés everywhere. Regent has a pretty good selection of teas, so I found myself enjoying a number of these in the afternoons rather than going for coffee.

Here's hoping that Regent will order some new coffees and let us sample them on an upcoming cruise.

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark