How do the beaches work in Costa Maya?

K2G

We're thinking of visiting a beach on our own when our ship visits Costa Maya rather than do an excursion We are a group of families with teenagers.

Questions:

Are the beaches free?

How do you rent chairs?

What facilities are available?

Can anyone recommend a good beach fairly close to the cruise ship port for families?

Thanks in advance for any information!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we were there we did see restaurants and bars along the beach but only tables and chairs , not beach lounge chairs . So don't think you'd have to pay for them but would have to eat there.. Everything looked full and crowded. We prebooked at Nohoch Kay so we had lounge chairs on an uncrowded beach with great food and drinks. I would recommend it for families with kids . They had kayaks and toys on the beach

Costa Maya is a very easy beach day... You don't need a reservation anywhere, and chairs are free pretty much anywhere as long as you order something. A taxi is $2 per person to the Malecon, and you can just walk until you find a place you like. There are several beach bars / restaurants all in close proximity.

Check out my review on Blue Kay. It's a beautiful place and the teens could snorkel, play volleyball (both in the water or on the beach), rent kayak's, bikes and so on. My review has TONS of pictures in it to show you the place. :)

I will check it out - thank you! Where can I find it? You have lots of posts!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

While I agree with Mitsugirly that Blue Kay is a great place to go. There might not be enough to keep teens interest if they want a beach experience like in Cozumel. But it's the better snorkeling area along the malecon. Take taxis as the tram (same cost) doesn't stop there. And you will avoid the hassling with the "jaladores" hustling their club's facilities and any local vendors walking the beach selling stuff.

In comparison to her pictures of Blue Kay you can see a series of pictures of other places along the malecon. All of these places will have loungers on the beach. It's pretty much the same sliver of sand and same water for all. Service and food quality are the major differences. Tropicante, Krazy Lobster and YaYas are good choices. There's an SUP place at Ibiza Sunset ran by a couple of younger expats from the US. They give lessons, reasonably calm, shallow water to learn in. You can just walk up and ask.

While I agree with Mitsugirly that Blue Kay is a great place to go. There might not be enough to keep teens interest if they want a beach experience like in Cozumel. But it's the better snorkeling area along the malecon. Take taxis as the tram (same cost) doesn't stop there. And you will avoid the hassling with the "jaladores" hustling their club's facilities and any local vendors walking the beach selling stuff.

In comparison to her pictures of Blue Kay you can see a series of pictures of other places along the malecon. All of these places will have loungers on the beach. It's pretty much the same sliver of sand and same water for all. Service and food quality are the major differences. Tropicante, Krazy Lobster and YaYas are good choices. There's an SUP place at Ibiza Sunset ran by a couple of younger expats from the US. They give lessons, reasonably calm, shallow water to learn in. You can just walk up and ask.

Crew, just wondering, is there a better option along there (or anywhere) that would keep this age group any more entertained? The only thing that I can think of is paying for the over priced water park that is there outside the port. OP-this is another option, but I didn't mention it since you seemed interested in saving money (by mentioning not doing an excursion and asking if the beaches are free).

Although it may be the same sliver of sand and water, I personally (just my opinion) felt that the water at Blue Kay was a lot nicer. You could actually swim (versus Nohoch where you could walk WAY out and it still be around your ankles), there wasn't any sea grass, the beach was HUGE compared to the other "areas" and of course the snorkeling. (Not to mention the water activities they had there, but not sure if any of the other places have water volleyball and land volleyball because I did not see them last time I was in that area). While other places had kayaks to rent, once again, I have to go back to the shallow area down the malecon (at least at Nohoch at the opposite end) that made it impossible to get more than 3 feet off the beach line...although quite hilarious to watch others try. OP also needs to know that some of these places are considered an AI and will have to pay a fee to be there. (They just sounded like they were looking for cheap and I can't imagine it getting any cheaper than Blue Kay). :)

Great information - thank you!

We already have a couple big excursions on our cruise and we hoping for a quieter day in Costa Maya

That being said, we expect to be paying for chairs and taxis

What fees do the AIs have in this area?

Great information - thank you!

We already have a couple big excursions on our cruise and we hoping for a quieter day in Costa Maya

That being said, we expect to be paying for chairs and taxis

What fees do the AIs have in this area?

In response to Mitsugirly: Tequilla Beach is still the only one with any organized water sports. All other beaches can arrange something for you, though. I think Krazy Lobster or Barefoot has a beach volley ball net but not definitive on that.

K2G: AI's go for around $50pp. No Hich Kay, which MG mentioned is booked via Island Marketing. Maya Chan is just a short ways south of Mahahual, might be considered part of it. Almaplena is further south. All require taxis to reach, adding to the cost. Water park is $45-$100 pp depending on package, IIRC.

You can't go "wrong" at Blue Kay. Contact them and see if they can arrange something that fits your needs. http://www.bluekaymahahual.com/en/beach-break-2/

And if some in your party want to walk down the malecon and look at other spots, that's easy to do.

Enjoy Costa Maya.:)

If we just get in the cab and tell the driver to take us to a nice beach will that work? Where are they likely to take us?

In the main there is one long beach with many beach bars, and a couple of smaller, out-of-town AI, which need advanced reservations.

Therefore a taxi will take you to the main beach and drop you wherever they get the biggest kickback.

Take a look at the link in Crew's signature above to find a list of most of the beach bars along the malecon (main beach) and a map and decide where you are interested in getting dropped off. Otherwise let the taxi drop you where it will and walk the malecon until you find somewhere that appeals.

Did I read somewhere that Costa Maya has a pool at their port and it is free to use? I am goinng to be on the NCL Dawn in Fenruary and we have book a beach getaway with them....but if there is a pool close to the port that is free that sound better than paying to go to one and riding a bus with the 2 travel companions I have with me.

I have never been to this port so any information would be appreciated. While we like to see the ocean my 2 companions cant get around on the sand very well!

Thanks,

Patti

Did I read somewhere that Costa Maya has a pool at their port and it is free to use? I am goinng to be on the NCL Dawn in Fenruary and we have book a beach getaway with them....but if there is a pool close to the port that is free that sound better than paying to go to one and riding a bus with the 2 travel companions I have with me.

I have never been to this port so any information would be appreciated. While we like to see the ocean my 2 companions cant get around on the sand very well!

Thanks,

Patti

We were in Costa Maya last month and there is a large pool inside the pier. I believe there is a swim up bar. We didn't use it but there were several people in it.

Thanks,

Patti

IMG_5055-M.jpg

PC170142-M.jpg

PC170145-M.jpg