Sydney Airports is worrying me - getting to the cruise on time...

Hi Folks,

In two short weeks I am heading off on my first cruise with my family. We are sailing on the Carnival Spirit, leaving Monday the 9th of October. We are flying in from Adelaide, due to arrive @ Sydney Airport at 11:30. The cruise is due to depart @ 4:00PM.

Is this pushing it fine with potential delays in flights? Should we be arriving the night before? What are other peoples thoughts? Its going to cost us around another $650 to reschedule our flights and a nights accomodation (depending on where we stay, for 4 people).

Cheers

Hi Folks,

In two short weeks I am heading off on my first cruise with my family. We are sailing on the Carnival Spirit, leaving Monday the 9th of October. We are flying in from Adelaide, due to arrive @ Sydney Airport at 11:30. The cruise is due to depart @ 4:00PM.

Is this pushing it fine with potential delays in flights? Should we be arriving the night before? What are other peoples thoughts? Its going to cost us around another $650 to reschedule our flights (depending on where we stay, for 4 people).

Cheers

Personally I'd have booked the day before.

You will probably be fine. But after today's debacle it is a risk.

We live a two and half hour drive (most days) but still go the day before.

95% of the time flying in on the same day is probably OK. It's that unpredictable 5% that can destroy your cruise and stress you out.

Your call: save $650 and hope that day isn't a 5 percenter or spend the extra money and have a lovely evening in Sydney and a relaxed start to your cruise.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I've got a cruise from Sydney in December. We are flying in two days before. But, we are traveling from Atlanta Georgia.

If I was traveling from Adelaide, I'd be comfortable arriving in Sydney the morning of the cruise. You don't have to deal with blizzards and tornadoes!

In your case, land at 11:30, on the train at 12:30. Arrive at Circular Quay at 1:00. On the ship at 2:00.

Have a fun holiday!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Personally I'd have booked the day before.

You will probably be fine. But after today's debacle it is a risk.

We live a two and half hour drive (most days) but still go the day before.

Hi Gut; if i'm correct your from the Hunter valley; I have read some-where before.. I thought you would catch the train down!! Every cruise i been on there has been at least 50 to 100 people on the Newcastle train going down to The Quay to board our cruise. Love that aspect of cruising..

I have flown in on the same day to Sydney from Adelaide twice (and will be doing so again in 3 weeks) with no problems.

Yes, my heart is in my mouth until we get there but I can't justify the extra expense of a night's accommodation. I figure if there is a delay there are plenty more flights to get me there before sailaway.

We always take the 9am flight as the timing is perfect, providing there are no delays of course! (yn)

I have probably put the mockas on myself now...

I regularly fly from Sydney on both Virgin and Qantas.

A number of my Virgin flights from Sydney have had departures delayed because of wind problems the day before. Just wondering whether Virgin has less planes than Qantas, to make up flights, when flight problems occur?

Hi Folks,

Is this pushing it fine with potential delays in flights? Should we be arriving the night before? What are other peoples thoughts? Its going to cost us around another $650 to reschedule our flights and a nights accomodation (depending on where we stay, for 4 people).

Cheers

Always travel the day before, and after the airport problems yesterday I think you should think along the lines of "Peace of Mind". $650 Iis a small price for that.

We've flown from Perth on embarkation day three times now, also arriving around 11:30am. Even when the rugby was on, a taxi had us at the OPT by 1 o'clock. There is still plenty of wriggle room for strong winds or late arriving aircraft and getting to the ship by a 4pm deadline. Even better it there's a late sail away. We'll do it again.

Apart from the comments about booking a day or two earlier, flights are generally on time, with most of the majors running pretty much on time (+/- 15mins). It will only take you about 30-40 mins after landing to collect your bags, grab a cab and get to circular quay. Hopefully you will be having your first cocktail by 1330. As with anything there is the unforeseen, but you can't plan for that.

All you can do is relax, enjoy your time at the wineries in Adelaide and enjoy your cruise!

When flights run to time, there is no problem, however that is not always the case.

My neighbour is a local pilot, who was horrified to see the connecting flight Qantas had given me from Brisbane to Sydney because he said it wasn't enough time and he knew about flight delays. He tried to change it for me, but flights were full. Fortunately, my flight wasn't late and I had priority boarding in Sydney.

In addition I worked with the wife of a cabin steward, who had to call in sick when his flights from Brisbane were delayed (usually weather related) because he was meant to be living in Sydney.

At the end of the day, it depends on whether one is a calculated risk taker and how one handles stress.