A week post-cruise/which island did you like best?

silvercrikhix

We are planning on a week post cruise.

Does anyone have a favorite island they would recommend over the others?

I realize this is a subjective question, but interested in others insight.

We have been leaning towards Oahu (Kailua area) but are unsure.

TiA for any insight you can provide :D

I would suggest Maui. It has plenty of things to do for a week or better (we commonly go for 10 days). It is our favorite island. If you are going during whale season, it is the center of the whale universe.

Or split it up. 3 nights on one island (Hawaii, for example) and 4 nights on another (say, Maui).

Edited by CruiserBruce

We will be on the POA in August and will stay on in Oahu for 6 nights after the cruise, disembarkation night in Waikiki, then 3 nights at Turtle Bay on the north shore followed by 2 nights in the Kenohe Bay Area on the windward side before returning to Waikiki for our flight home.

We had toyed with the idea of flying to one of the other islands after the cruise, but after a nonstop week on the cruise, flying to and from another island did not appeal and we decided to stay put on Oahu for some relaxation. We had already done a land vacation years ago split between Maui and Kauai, and since we will have 2 cruise days each on Maui and Kauai, it seemed more sensible to stay put and explore Oahu! We also have a day in Waikiki pre cruise.

The only island we have not yet seen is the big island of Hawaii. It seems to have much more than can be seen in our one day each in Hilo and Kona, and I might be tempted to spend some extra time there post cruise next time. We'll see how we like it on the cruise!

Edited by punkincc

The Big Island is my absolute favorite of the Hawaiian Islands!!! So much geographical diversity in a small area! I usually stay up at the Mauna Kea or Hapuna Prince. Used to stay at what is now the Mariott Waikoloa (it was Outrigger back then). I love to just hang at those beaches, snorkel, bodysurf. Plenty of diverse places to eat within 30 minutes. My now-ex loved it because of the great golf courses close by.

I've stayed on Maui, Lanai, Kauai, Oahu, but I keep going back to the Big Island.

I agree with the Hawaiians when they say "Maui No Ka Oi"...Maui is the best! :)

However each island has it's highlights and not knowing what you like to do the best island for each person could be different. The Big Island of Hawaii is larger than all the other islands combined. Kona is great for scuba diving but has few sandy beaches available (and why it's so great for scuba/snorkeling). Hilo has lush green valleys with many wonderful waterfalls and a short distance from Volcanoes National Park. All of Kauai is lush with Mt Waialeale being the wettest recorded spot in the world averaging 450" rain per year and why they have a swamp on the top. Oahu has many historic sites but also with about 80% of the state of Hawaii's population can be very crowded with traffic jams. Hiking to the top of Diamond Head, seeing Pearl Harbor & the other sites on Oahu are good.

I'd suggest spending the first couple days on Oahu & then going to the neighbor island of your choice which for me would be Maui to relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery before flying home from Maui. :D

Every island has alot to see and do, it is Hawaii. Kaui is tropical and lush, the Napali coast amazing. The big Island has VNP and such diverse geography that you are not sure it is the same island ! Maui has Haleakula, Lahaina and Iao. You are right to spend more time there, you can not see everything on the cruise. What are your main interests ? Please keep reading these boards, that is how we determine what interests our vacations. We are heading back to Kaui to see the things we missed on our cruise. Last year we spent a week on the big Island and still didn't get everything done we wanted.

I loved the Big Island! I started by renting a car in Kona where I did the night time manta ray snorkel (amazing!!!!), made my way towards Volcano National Park for hiking, checked out the black sand beaches, the waterfalls near Hilo, and up to horseback ride through scenic Waipi'o Valley. I flew into Kona and out of Hilo.

My first choice would be Hilo (on the Big Island). You could spend the entire time going back and forth and around this island for the entire week. Molokai Chuck had a very good suggestion to stay on Lana'i and Moloka'i. Lana'i can be reached by ferry or plane. You can "rough" it at the Hotel Lana'i or be pampered at the Four Seasons. I would do 2 days at the Lodge and 2 days on the ocean. Big bucks!

I would do this (also) in a heart beat. If you visit Moloka'i, it is a must that you reserve a tour of Kalaupapa National Park while there are still residents living there. The history and sadness is absolutely spiritual. You can hike down (not for me), ride a mule down, or fly in by plane. This is a once in a life time opportunity that should not be missed. I've done this.

You may have another chance to visit the other islands later. Maui is my least favorite island. I can proudly say that I have been to all the islands except Niihau (which is privately owned).

Displaced Local Girl

All of the islands are great. I would do a week on any of them. However, since you mentioned the cruise, I think Oahu would be the best in your scenario. That way you don't have to hop on a plane. There are plenty of great beaches to relax on and lots of sights if you want to explore. If you go during winter, the waves on the north shore are an attraction, as well as whales. I especially enjoyed Lanikai Beach and could have spent a week there!!

We are planning on a week post cruise.

Does anyone have a favorite island they would recommend over the others?

I realize this is a subjective question, but interested in others insight.

We have been leaning towards Oahu (Kailua area) but are unsure.

TiA for any insight you can provide :D

The trouble is you have said zero about what interests YOU and what kind of experience you are looking for.

Kauai is my favorite island of the four "minor" islands (excluding Oahu) because it very much a throwback to what Hawaii was like 50 years ago. It has a nice mix of nature, good beaches and good dining to keep just about anyone happy.

Maui is my least favorite island of the four "minor" islands. There has been so much construction along the southern and western coasts of Maui that there is little Hawaiian left. A couple of areas on Maui have more people who were born in another state than were born in Hawaii. Maui for me has been downhill since the 1970's. We still go for a variety of reasons and don't think we don't like it, we do, but not as well as the other islands.

I love the Big Island, but you really need 10 days there to do it justice, spending 7 days on the Kohala/Kona coast and 3 near Hilo and Volcano National Park.

I love Lanai and the two Four Seasons hotels there with my favorite being the Lodge at Koele up in the hills. Lanai and where the DW and I go to do as little as possible. There is no nightlife, few restaurants a few sights and a couple of beaches. You go there for its quietness.

I didn't count Oahu with the others because it is so different from the rest. It has the great beauty of Kauai (as anyone who ever watched Lost knows), but it also has incredible world class restaurants, the most significant cultural and historic sites, great nightlife and a different vibe (on the Honolulu side) than anything else in HI.

So it will come down entirely to what are you looking to do on your vacation. If you want to kick back in Kailua, visit Lanikai Beach, do some shopping, see Pearl Harbor, Iolani Palace (only royal palace on U.S. soil), Shangrila, a rainforest (in a major metro city), botanical gardens, a Chinatown, take a ride in an outrigger canoe, a sunset cruise off Waikiki on a catamaran, etc...... Oahu offers that and more.

Thank you posters for your information on the separate islands. .

Here is what our goal is:

Relax - Serene at night - Not hoards of peeps all the time

Looking to rent vacation rental for a week as a base, post-cruise

(We have 3 days pre-cruise in Waikiki at HHV)

Ride motorcycle (so, multiple scenic drives are a plus +)

ATV Tour or 2

Do a Luau

Snorkel for 1st time

View some waterfalls

No huge hikes, but some easier shorter trails okay

Hopefully that can help narrow it down? :p

ATV Tour or 2

Do a Luau

Snorkel for 1st time

View some waterfalls

I think Oahu hits most of what you want, as long as you stay either on the other side of Diamond Head (Kailua, Aina Haina, Hawaii Kai) or the other side of Ewa at Ko'Olina at with the Marriott or Disney condo properties.

One is a very local experience (Kailua side) the other is the ultimate in planned resort. being on the Kailua side does put you closer to the ATV at Kualoa Ranch and the Chief's Luau is out that way. There are also very easy waterfall hikes like Manoa Falls and Waimea Falls.

If you hadn't said ATV trips, Kauai would have been my pick. It is the most lush and scenic island, with the least people for the amount of stuff to do (if that makes sense).

So maybe check both the Poipu area of Kauai (Poipu Kapili is our favorite complex) and the Kailua area of Oahu and see how they mesh up.

ATV Tour or 2

Do a Luau

Snorkel for 1st time

View some waterfalls

You can do all of that on the Big Island, too ;)

Stay up on the Kohala Coast. If you want to rent a place, look at things in Puako or one of the many condos/timeshares in the Waikoloa and Mauna Lani beach areas. Or, if you don't need to be by the water/beach, look at renting up in the mountains in the coffee area.

You can rent Harleys at a few places in Kailua-Kona.

Go up to the Mauna Kea Hotel for their Luau (twice a week).

Snorkel in Kailua-Kona, Captain Cook, or even do the night manta ray snorkel.

Visit Rainbow Falls outside of Hilo - there are some others down in Waipio Valley you can get by tour.

Thanks scottca075, we'll research the Poipu area...I did find a few ATV tours on Kauai.

slidergirl, TY, I'll poke around for info on the Big Island too.

Loving CC! Cruising must have been quite different before the internet!

Lugging around books and trusting TA's, word of mouth....yikes.

Loving CC! Cruising must have been quite different before the internet!

Lugging around books and trusting TA's, word of mouth....yikes.

Travelling 'pre-internet' was actually not as bad as you might think ... there's a lot to be said for picking a destination, using a guide book and figuring some things out when you're there. And not spending months in advance to research every last detail on travel forums (which I do now) left a lot of time to do other things.:)

Enjoy whichever island you choose ... I think you'll be able to cover most things on your wish list on Kauai, Oahu, Maui or the BI.

Travelling 'pre-internet' was actually not as bad as you might think ... there's a lot to be said for picking a destination, using a guide book and figuring some things out when you're there. And not spending months in advance to research every last detail on travel forums (which I do now) left a lot of time to do other things.:)

Enjoy whichever island you choose ... I think you'll be able to cover most things on your wish list on Kauai, Oahu, Maui or the BI.

Thanks for your input Susan M.

I get the traveling pre-internet....I did lots of it, maps and books

I just feel a cruise has so many different spots to look at and figure out which things interest one at each particular port.

I definitely like just going without plans sometimes...less stressful and finding neat things along the way.

You are spot on with the time sucker that these cruise planning sessions are!!

TY for all the responses you have given on these threads, very kind of you :)

Thanks for the nice comment silvercrikhix :)

Agree ... for a cruise, it's great to be able to sort out all the priorities and plans ahead of time to make the most of your days in port. The CC forums have been a huge help to us with that!