Carnival Destiny - Cancelled Key West this weekend

Hunter2

Take it out of commission until they get it fixed completly. What will it take for Carnival to do this ? It is absured !

JMHO of course.

How would you feel if they took it out of service DURING your cruise? And what if there was not any other ship to put you on. Besides the fact that you would have to change plane tickets, etc.

I would think that you would be complaining about it.

So better to do it to someone else?

JMO

Are there other issues with the Destiny?

:D Dude, where you been?

Do a search for "destiny propulsion issues." There are a TON of threads about the ongoing problems in September and November and now. I'm very upset about this because we sail on her Monday.

Try to make the best of your cruise.

You have two choices since Carnival notified you this evening. Cancel and recieve your money back and cruise at a later time or go and enjoy your cruise minus stopping at Key West. While I love spending vacation time in Key West I'd have no problem still cruising without stopping in Key West so go and enjoy. Key West will still be there for another cruise or land vacation.

You have two choices since Carnival notified you this evening. Cancel and recieve your money back and cruise at a later time or go and enjoy your cruise minus stopping at Key West. While I love spending vacation time in Key West I'd have no problem still cruising without stopping in Key West so go and enjoy. Key West will still be there for another cruise or land vacation.

We have decided to go anyway, I'm just disappointed. I was looking forward to Key West and not two days at sea. Just hoping all the other issues I read about hold off for us.

Unless they changed the policy, you dont get the money back, you get credit toward another cruise .... they hold your money. ... a tiny difference ... when they say you can cancel and they will credit the cruise .. they dont mean a refund.

We have decided to go anyway, I'm just disappointed. I was looking forward to Key West and not two days at sea. Just hoping all the other issues I read about hold off for us.

Same here, I was really wanting to enjoy some time in KW also.

I also believe that Carnival needs to get her into drydock, and soon. Unexpected issues are one thing, but failing to fix a known problem for several months now is quite another. How many more cancelled ports and angry passengers will it take for them to get Newport News (or whomever)on the phone and schedule a drydock?

How would you feel if they took it out of service DURING your cruise? And what if there was not any other ship to put you on. Besides the fact that you would have to change plane tickets, etc.

I would think that you would be complaining about it.

So better to do it to someone else?

JMO

I understand your point, but they could schedule it a few weeks or even months out to give folks enough time to either switch to another ship or get refunded. They shouldn't keep her in service being unable to reliably make her scheduled stops.

Unless they changed the policy, you dont get the money back, you get credit toward another cruise .... they hold your money. ... a tiny difference ... when they say you can cancel and they will credit the cruise .. they dont mean a refund.

Yes, thats what we were offered tonight. We are still going to go, might as well since the vacation from work has already been approved.

i just a couple questions... did they tell you why they are cancelling KW????... and are you guys still going to Cozumel since its farther out than KW???

i sail on Feb 18...and i hope its FIXED by then...because legally..they have to stop at a non- US port..and KW doesn't count. If we miss KW..im ok...but i would love to go to Cozumel...this sucks...but i guess cant do much until it gets closer to my sailing date to see if these problems has been fixed.

I did go back and make sure I read it correctly and according to what is on their website this evening one can either get a cash refund or a future cruise credit depending upon the reason they gave for the change of itinerary.

ITINERARY CHANGE PRIOR TO DEPARTURE:

If Carnival has adequate notice prior to sailing that a vessel will deviate from the published itinerary it will promptly – upon making the itinerary change -- notify guests of the change through their travel agents or directly, in the case of a direct guest booking.

If the itinerary change is for reasons within Carnival’s exclusive control, guests will have the opportunity to cancel their booking without penalty prior to sailing and within 24 hours of the guest notification, and in such an instance, guests will have the option to receive either a cash refund or a future cruise credit. In the event a guest does not cancel the cruise on a timely basis, no refund of any kind will be available.

Since when do they give you a refund if they cancel a port? How does this work as I am curious since I am booked on the Destiny. Does it just have to be one port and is it a refund or credit toward a future cruise?

If they know about the itinerary change prior to sailing they usually offer you a OBC if you choose to take the cruise, or a refund in the form of a credit toward a future cruise.

I did go back and make sure I read it correctly and according to what is on their website this evening one can either get a cash refund or a future cruise credit depending upon the reason they gave for the change of itinerary.

ITINERARY CHANGE PRIOR TO DEPARTURE:

If Carnival has adequate notice prior to sailing that a vessel will deviate from the published itinerary it will promptly – upon making the itinerary change -- notify guests of the change through their travel agents or directly, in the case of a direct guest booking.

If the itinerary change is for reasons within Carnival’s exclusive control, guests will have the opportunity to cancel their booking without penalty prior to sailing and within 24 hours of the guest notification, and in such an instance, guests will have the option to receive either a cash refund or a future cruise credit. In the event a guest does not cancel the cruise on a timely basis, no refund of any kind will be available.

I know that people were surprised they did not get a refund in the way they expected. The cash refund was in the form of a future credit... but thanks for posting the verbage for others who may not be aware of their options.

I know this has been a bone of contention in the past. Folks like you read it and thought they would actually get cash?? Im not sure, but a refund to their credit card at any rate.

Maybe they changed their policy... I just know that in the past they dont actually give the money back to you which you would expect the way this reads ... try it and see?

Maybe it changed since the last time someone posted. I think with the flu cruises, there was a rash of cancellations and outrage about not getting their money back.

Maybe it changed since the last time someone posted. I think with the flu cruises, there was a rash of cancellations and outrage about not getting their money back.

I think the flu cruise cancellations are considered to be out of Carnival's control so that is why they give the future cruise credit. With Destiny having mechanical problems I would say that is in Carnival's control and would qualify as a "cash" refund.

Same goes for us as an airline. Weather delays or cancellations are not in our control but not having an available flight crew or mechanical problems is in our control so we have to pay for stuff (hotels/food).

On a side note...I'm not sure what they are doing about the canceled flights into Haiti, the reason showing in the computer is "Airport Closure" so technically not in our control but they were pretty lenient with people who didn't want to go to Mexico when the flu started.

I know that people were surprised they did not get a refund in the way they expected. The cash refund was in the form of a future credit... but thanks for posting the verbage for others who may not be aware of their options.

I know this has been a bone of contention in the past. Folks like you read it and thought they would actually get cash?? Im not sure, but a refund to their credit card at any rate.

Maybe they changed their policy... I just know that in the past they dont actually give the money back to you which you would expect the way this reads ... try it and see?

Actually I wouldn't expect "cash" as in dollar bills but a refund to my credit card IF the circumstances of the cancelled port before sailaway fit the criteria listed by Carnival and if that was what I wished verses a future credit. In most cases I think I'd be just as happy with a future credit if we didn't wish to go on that particular cruise.

For us personally, I can't imagine we'd ever be wanting to cancel our cruise at this point just because one port changed or was cancelled. We might be disappointed if it was a port we were really looking forward to but we easily get over that and accept that ports get cancelled and changed for lots of different reasons and we choose to think of any cruise as an adventure that we never quite know what is going to happen until it happens:)

Although I have to add Firefly that I think we would feel much like you if we'd been on your cruise when Galveston was destroyed by the Hurricane. Certainly not Carnival's fault and we wouldn't have been upset with changes needing to be made but customer service on board certainly could have been more friendly with their attempts to help you than what you received.

Just a hunch...but the marked channel going in to Key West is about 5 miles long, narrow, and has a couple of turns. The turning basin is small also. I've been reading that the Destiny has propulsion problems. The Captain of the Port problem blocked her from porting there.

I am at my Key West office today. I can find out for sure.

Archived