Charging for sea-sick meds

Chrisp414

Is is true that you are now charged for sea-sick meds if you need them? If so, how much. (Dream 5/8) Thanks.

No, not the case at all.

Seasick meds are free from the Guest Services Desk, the dispensary. They are also generally available from your cabin steward.

:)

It doesn't make sense to wait until you get sick. I use the patch behind my ear and I got the bands and bonine for my kids. I don't know if I will need any of them but I would rather be safe than sorry. I used the patch on my first cruise and didn't feel sick at all. I was just really thirsty. It is a win, win for everyone.

I also like the chewable 24-hour Bonine. I start at the hotel the night before we sail, and every night during the cruise.

I don't even know if I would get sea sick on a cruise ship, but I don't want to find out either.

I also like the chewable 24-hour Bonine. I start at the hotel the night before we sail, and every night during the cruise.

I don't even know if I would get sea sick on a cruise ship, but I don't want to find out either.

the handout meds are free; a "nausea" shot in the Infirmary (once you're SICK) is something like $30 or $70, charged on your S&S Card. ken

They sell a pack of them in one of the stores. Perhaps this is what you heard someone talking about. The ones they give out are only the good for 4 hours variety. I like the chewable bonine good for 24 hours.

Not the ones I've gotten on the past few cruises.

In fact, I have a pack here in my hand that I've had in my purse.

"1 or 2 tablets daily or as directed by a doctor. Do not exceed 2 tablets in 24 hours..."

As with any meds, be sure you know what you're taking and how they might interact with any other OTC meds you take (like antihistamines!).

I get them as soon as I board, but I also keep a small 8-pill tube of less-drowsy Dramaine with me at all times as I suffer motion sickness when traveling via any means, not just at sea.

My husband and I were on the Valor the week of March 21st - The first sea day was a bit rocky and I asked for something at the customer service desk. I was asked for my sail & sign card. When I asked why, the woman said it was $3.25 and it would be charged to my sail & sign account. I was totally shocked and said that I never had to pay for that before and was told that was not the case any longer. I was not happy at all about that and will make sure I bring something from home from now on. I don't normally need anything, but that day seemed to be abnormally rocky.

I get seasick very easily. No joke, I took 5 packages of Dramine with me. I took them round the clock for the entire cruise.

When we sailed from Miami on the Valor last November we went directly into Hurricane Ida. Ironically, the first week of November is considered to be the end of hurricane season. There had not been any hurricanes all season in that area...until the week we were cruising.

We weren't 2 hours out from Miami when we started hitting rough water.

Even though I had taken 2 Dramine I was so sick that I couldn't go to dinner.

That night was terrible. I didn't start feeling better until about 10:00 that night.

The next day we were in calmer waters and I was fine. That night was formal night. We were in more rough water but I was feeling okay so got all dressed up and went to the diningroom w/ my DH.

We were travelling with our daughter & son-in-law and several of his family members. My on-in-law was sitting across from me. The water in his water glass was rocking back & forth. I looked at it for a few seconds and then started feeling a little green. I ended up going back to the room again. It was a long walk back to the room...LOL. I ended up being sicker than the night before.

After that 2nd night we were in much calmer waters for the rest of the trip and I felt fine.

I would never travel w/o bringing my own Dramamine.

They charged us for them on the Conquest last month. I think it was 3.60 for two pills. they said that the old system was being abused as people were getting more than needed since they were free. We got them free on our last two cruises, so it was a surprise.

It doesn't make sense to wait until you get sick. I use the patch behind my ear and I got the bands and bonine for my kids. I don't know if I will need any of them but I would rather be safe than sorry. I used the patch on my first cruise and didn't feel sick at all. I was just really thirsty. It is a win, win for everyone.

You have never been seasick yet you take them anyway:confused:

You have never been seasick yet you take them anyway:confused:

I don't get it either, but everyone is different. I'd rather not put any extra meds in my system that I don't need. I've always taken along a small container of dramamine and some ginger altoids just in case but have never needed either one. I should probably check the expiration date on the dramamine it's so old now. :p

There are lot of people out there who don't experience seasickness - even in really rough seas.

Also, word of warning about the seasick meds to everyone out there - Bonine and Dramamine are antihistamines. Be very cautious if drinking alcohol or if you already take antihistamines for allergies.

Also, word of warning about the seasick meds to everyone out there - Bonine and Dramamine are antihistamines. Be very cautious if drinking alcohol or if you already take antihistamines for allergies.

Yes........and I have seen this medication cause some really bad reactions to a few people......I surely would not take them unless I really needed them.......

Since Carnival is now (supposedly) charging for this do you think they will set up a "No smggling policy" for motion sickness pills ????

Who wants to start the poll????? :eek::D:p

I'll be sure I have a "fresh" supply, as the tube I've been carrying around is quite old. IF you are prone to motion sickness, starting the meds early isn't a bad idea. I don't do that. I start Ginger early, and then IF I start to get "that feeling" once sailing, I start taking the meclizine. But if you are NOT prone to motion sickness, taking meds you probably don't need isn't a great idea. Especially, as noted, if you happen to take other meds and/or consume alcohol!

I do wish people would stop complaining/whining/whatever about Carnival's efforts to be just a little more cost conscious!

I'm a shareholder. I like anything that keeps costs down! :D

And why should they supply free meds to people? As happens too often, something is offered to people as a courtesy, and it is abused by the greedy ones.

Oh look! Free drugs! Let's take handfuls and handfuls just because we can!

Yes, I'm all for cutting costs and KEEPING THE CRUISE FARES LOW.

So to everyone who wants to complain about "nickle and dime" efforts, just go spend more elsewhere on a different line.

If you're so hard up that you can't buy your own drinks or meds, then one has to wonder if you should be spending the money to cruise anyway!

gimmeabreak...as cheap as they are, if everyone on the ship used what Carnival once supplied for free it wouldn't make a dent in the bottom line.

As stated earlier, a package at the store is only $3.00 or so. Then Carnival is charging $3.+ for a package of two tables? That could well be the definition of gauging.

We bought and brought our own, but that's not the point.

Archived