Getting to Cruise Ship in Venice

Jamietravelstheworld

You can catch a normal taxi from the airport to the bus/train station which is only about 5 minutes away from the cruise ship terminal.

Another option is a water taxi from the airport but this will be more expensive than a normal taxi.

Also you could hire a limo (Merc E Class). I used this company to get to my ship in Palermo, Sicily. http://www.airportconnection.it/index.php My flight was delayed by 90 minutes and the driver was still waiting for me. From Venice Airport to Venice Bus Station is about 50 Euros.

Hope this helps.

You could read the messages on the Ports of Call board; Europe. You will probably find quite a bit of information there. Or, go to the Roll Call board and look for the date of your cruise and see if anyone there can help you out.

Easier to take the Princess transfer. You wheel your bags about 30 feet from where you've retrieved them, they put them on the bus for you and whisk you away to the ship. Next time we saw our bags was when they were put in our cabin.

Easier to take the Princess transfer. You wheel your bags about 30 feet from where you've retrieved them, they put them on the bus for you and whisk you away to the ship. Next time we saw our bags was when they were put in our cabin.

We won't be coming from the airport but from a Venice hotel. Is there a Princess transfer there?

Any suggestions for independent travelers on how to get to the Ruby Princess in Venice? We will be staying at a hotel near the train/bus area. How do you recommend getting to the port?

Thanks.

there are land taxis that will take you from the bus station to the entrance to the port, or, for a couple of EU's..there's a bus at the station. it's the least expensive .I think it's #6. or 6A..you have to check with the ticket sellers, but it lets you out at the port entrance too. you have to drag your luggage, but you would in any case, part way, even if you took the very expensive water taxis. My suggestion is to take the bus, which is what we did, and we are out of shape senior citizens and it was a haul but do-able...just don't believe the malarky about being able to walk from the bus station.. have a wonderful trip

Last Fall, for our TA on the Ruby, we just walked from our hotel in Cannaregio to the ship, with one carry-on and one checked luggage. Bridges are a bit of a pain, but we are used to walking.

Get from your Hotel area to Piazale Roma either on foot or by water taxi. Then you can take a normal road taxi to the Cruise Docks (a relatively short distance but a long walk), or take Bus / 6 to the Port . NB: Bus / 6 NOT # 6 !!! It is Italy and nothing is straight forward .

I did not find the walk from Piazzale Roma to the cruise port very challenging (and it was drizzling with rain) - if you can handle your luggage, this is the easiest and pleasantest way to go - takes less than 30 mins max. even taking it easy. You'll probably have to walk from your hotel to the Piazzale Roma, so it's no biggy to keep going.

Get from your Hotel area to Piazale Roma either on foot or by water taxi. Then you can take a normal road taxi to the Cruise Docks (a relatively short distance but a long walk), or take Bus / 6 to the Port . NB: Bus / 6 NOT # 6 !!! It is Italy and nothing is straight forward .

You're right that nothing is straightforward in Italy, but the correct bus is 6/, not /6. Our family of 4 took the 6/ bus from P. Roma to the cruise terminal last year to board the Ruby Princess.

It is reported elsewhere on the internet that the people mover from Piazzale Roma to the cruise terminal began operation in April. That would make it very easy, just walk over the Calatrava Bridge (Ponte della Constituzione) from the railway terminal to Piazzale Roma.

I'll also add my choice for the land taxi from the airport. It was indeed a very short ride. If you are staying at a hotel, you might want check with others on your roll call to see if anyone would be interested in sharing the cost of a water taxi.

Have A Great Cruise

there are land taxis that will take you from the bus station to the entrance to the port, or, for a couple of EU's..there's a bus at the station. it's the least expensive .I think it's #6. or 6A..you have to check with the ticket sellers, but it lets you out at the port entrance too. you have to drag your luggage, but you would in any case, part way, even if you took the very expensive water taxis. My suggestion is to take the bus, which is what we did, and we are out of shape senior citizens and it was a haul but do-able...just don't believe the malarky about being able to walk from the bus station.. have a wonderful trip

I must disagree with the above malarky- we always walk from Piazzale Roma to the port. There are no stairs, its uphill partway, then down hill to the terminal, takes about 20 minutes, pulling luggage. We are early 60's!:)

It is reported elsewhere on the internet that the people mover from Piazzale Roma to the cruise terminal began operation in April. That would make it very easy, just walk over the Calatrava Bridge (Ponte della Constituzione) from the railway terminal to Piazzale Roma.

I found this link on the People Mover:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-people-mover.htm

You still have to get your luggage from the entrance of the port to the ship, I wonder if there are porters to help you at that point.

I must disagree with the above malarky- we always walk from Piazzale Roma to the port. There are no stairs, its uphill partway, then down hill to the terminal, takes about 20 minutes, pulling luggage. We are early 60's!:)

And I have to disagree ... we walked from the ship to the Pia. Roma. We're about 50. We went with no luggage upon our arrival into Venice. It's a pretty good walk even for 20-30 minutes, esp. if you happen to be there during warm (hot) weather. While no steps, there are definitely grades of various degrees. We would never have attempted it with luggage. But a cab from the ship to the Pia. Roma was only $5 Eu for both of us with luggage, which is what we did upon disembarkation the next morning.

But now the new People Mover is in play: http://venicetravelblog.com/2010/04/venice-people-mover.html

Have read that the people mover station by the port still isn't open because that's what we were thinking of doing. Sure your concierge will help, but if your hotel is anywhere near / on the Grand Canal, you could take the #1 or #2 vaporetto to the Piazza Roma then get the ship's shuttle or the ordinary scheduled Venice bus to the port. We're very independent-minded and we're travelling overland from the UK to join our cruise BUT we would DEFINITELY NOT WALK. We thought about it last time we were in Venice but were glad we didn't. It's a short bus ride but would be quite a tiring walk in the heat with luggage.

Any suggestions for independent travelers on how to get to the Ruby Princess in Venice? We will be staying at a hotel near the train/bus area. How do you recommend getting to the port?

Thanks.

Doesn't Princess offer a free shuttle to the port from P. Roma like so many others? We stayed near the train/bus station also, and just went to the P. Roma and got the ship shuttle.

All of the cruise lines offer a free shuttle from P. Roma. But just in case yours doesn't take a private taxi. The people mover station at the Maritima is NOT open yet, no word on when that will occur either since it's still under construction. Taxi is the easiest with luggage, etc. and will be able to drop you off the closest! Convenience wins every time in my book!:)

Archived