17 Pages of tips I compiled for upcoming trip on Allure

pmkejk

I thought I would share my tip sheets I compiled for my trip on the Allure in October. Whenever I saw a helpful hint on cruise critics I added to my list.

Misc. TIPS

• Schooner Bar: came here for casual drinks/Also watched Dreamworks Parade from here; Schooner Bar overlooks the Royal Promendade
  • Rising Tide Bar: it goes from the Royal Promenade(deck5), to Central Park (deck 8).
  • Shops onboard: on the Royal Promenade you have a booth where u can send a video postcard, or video by email;; its free
  • The picture place is on Deck 6 across from Schooner Bar. Take welcome aboard picture because they use picture for facial recognition for all other photos.
  • Our favorite was the balcony at the end of our deck – 12 -- that overlooks the aft of the ship and the Aqua Theatre. There are about a dozen lounge chars out there that never had more than about four people in them
  • There’s Johnny Rockets, of course, that also serves breakfast – diner style, appropriately.
  • Photography: We enjoy taking several shots during the nights at sea, and this cruise was no exception. One note is that we found a particularly fantastic photographer named Francesca Mercado (I think the spelling is right). She was at the white background both formal nights, and every picture we ended up buying was from her shots. The woman is SERIOUSLY talented, and unlike some other photographers we’ve met over the years, extremely good at talking us through the shot to get it right. Well worth searching her out!
  • The CL on Oasis Class ships have the best views, right over the Boardwalk and a nice menu at lunch time with free wine or beer. I wish though they had more to nibble on before dinner as we were late seating and there wasn't a lot left by the time we went into the lounge at night
  • On Air Post Cards No fees! It's FREE! You have the option to send it via Facebook or you can mail it to individuals. Also, you can send a "card" like we did, or you can send a video. There are several backgrounds to choose from too. Did I mention it's FREE?!!!
  • SpecialtyDiningReservations@rccl.com to book chefs table

• Cruise compass eastern

Below are links to the cruise Compasses and more from the January 9th Sailing.

Enjoy!

Day_1_Compass

Day_2_Compass

Day_3_Compass

Day_4_Compass

Day_5_Compass

Day_6_Compass

Day_7_Compass

18.20+_Weekly_Planner

As_You_Depart

• Hyatt Place North is right across the street from the Embassy Suites and has a free shuttle from the airport and to the cruiseport. They have a free continental breakfast too. Also about 1/3 the cost of the Embassy Suites.

You can book at valuetrips dot com.

• Cruise photos - Best viewed in "slideshow" format.

http://cruisingator.smugmug.com/

this is the web site we loved for pictures

• cooking classes:

Thank you for meantioning this. I think Ill try to book for our upcoming cruise.

Here is the link if anyone is interested in the descriptions...

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/conten...scriptions.pdf

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findac...89&shipCode=FR

• There are ship phones ALL over the place so he will call into the answering machine in the room every couple of hours. We (actually the teen is my sister's kid and will be in the room next door) can also access the answering machine in the staterooms from any phone on the ship.

DINING

• have two dining certificates from my agent. She is booking my reservations by email to a Royal Caribbean Redemption Center. Have your travel agent make the reservations that way.

Rita's Cantina: http://beyondships.com/RCI-ALOS-Menu-2.html

Giovanni's Table: http://beyondships.com/RCI-ALOS-Menu-3.html

Chops: http://beyondships.com/RCI-ALOS-Menu-4.html

Izumi: http://beyondships.com/RCI-ALOS-Menu-5.html

That's all I found through Google on that site anyway. I'm sure someone else has the rest.

• formal nights were Tuesday/Friday.
  • PARK CAFE IN CENTRAL PARK: Ate lunch here once and breakfast once. I had egg salad sandwich and a chef salad; my wife had the Famous Roast Beef Sand; we both loved the food
  • There are FREE ice cream machines behind two of the whirlpools on deck 15; there is also a ice cream machine in the Wipe Out
  • 150 Central Park: I enjoyed my meal here quite a bit. Not as good as some of the multi-course restaurants I've tried in other places, but in the ball park. Definitely try the "signature" cocktail they offer at the beginning. It's $15 but very very good. Also be sure to try all the various tasting salts they have on the table, they are incredibly good with the provided bread and butter! 150 was mostly a miss though for my vegetarian fiancee. Her entrees were generally my entree without the meat, with no real special thought on how to cook for her.
  • Chef's Table: Best food experience on the Allure hand's down. Sous-chef Lado (Ledo?) crafted an amazing 5 course meal for the 14 of us! He even brought out my fiancee's course individually himself, and explained exactly what she was about to eat (which was entirely different for most courses). We were both in heaven, especially with the wine pairings... though be careful there! I got nice and tipsy, but the amount of wine was too much for my sweetheart! The waiters will take good care of you on the wine, and will sometimes pour extra, so know your tolerance!
  • Giovanni's Table: Best value easily for specialty dining. We absolutely loved our meal! Be sure to try the souffle appetizer, a fresh pasta course, and the tiramisu. Honestly next time I go back, I'll skip the entree and just order as much fresh pasta as I can handle, it was truly superb!
  • Allure introduced Rita's Cantina, a restaurant being described by the line as a combination So-Cal taqueria and Mexican beach bar. The menu consists of options like taco salad, chile relleno, shrimp ceviche tostadas, fajitas, chips and guacamole, and a wide selection of tequilas and margaritas. The fee to eat here is $7.95.
  • One night of the cruise there is a $20 cover for Mexican fiesta which includes dinner, 3 margaritas and party entertainment.
  • Lobster is second formal night, Friday. It was delicious.

· CHEFS TABLE Smoked duck salad; Wine: Fairview, Chenin Blanc, Darling South Africa

Soup Trio: butternut squash cream, tomato consomme, lobster-corn bisque; Wine: Louis Jadot, Meursault France

Serrano ham wrapped diver scallops; Wine: Devil's Lair Chardonnay, Margaret River Australia

Roasted milk-fed veal tenderloin; Wine: Charles Krug, Merlot, Napa California

Flourless roasted hazelnut-chocolate; Chilled Frangelico,

Read more: http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/kimberly_r/2/1298127811/tpod.html#ixzz1EXVIFhhB

• Seems I keep hearing about a new menu fleet wide. I had ran across the menu below on another site as "New Fleetwide Menus". Can anyone confirm that these mights be our offerings mid March based on their recent return. Once I looked at it there seems to be some of my regulars missing, like Lamb Shank Some menus we had in July and others I don't recall seeing everything offered. IF these are indeed the new menus I thought I would save someone else from typing them all out.

One
    Starter:
    Smoke Fish Tapenade – Sweet onions, tangy capers and fresh herbs compliment this fish dish; served with a golden brown crostini
    Vidalia Onion Tart – sweet Vidalia onions combined with nutty Gruyere cheese, then baked in a buttery crust, served with leek fondue and sautéed red peppers
    Sopa de Tortilla – Robust Mexican tomato soup garnished with dried julienne tortilla
    Hot and Sour Shrimp soup - Spicy, pungent lemongrass-scented seafood broth with cilantro and vegetables
    Child Watermelon Gazpacho – A variety of flavors and textures play off beautifully in this soup; garnished with chopped celery and cucumber
    Caesar Salad or Spinach Salad

MAIN COURSE
    Pan-Fried Pork Medallions 0 Meaty medallions served with buttery mashed potatoes, broccoli and a savory forest mushroom ragout
    Truffled wild mushroom linguini alfredo – White truffle oil enhances the earthiness of the wild mushrooms in this creamy pasta dish.
    Slow-Roasted Prime Rib
    Grilled Mediterranean Quesadilla – Melted Monterey Jack cheese and vegetables sandwiched in a warm flour tortilla; served with a tomato-cilantro salsa
    Pan-seared golden sea bass – Served atop green lentils, green beans, snow peas and verjus beurre blanc
    Aloo Gobi Methi ) – Fenugreek-flavored potato and cauliflower curry served with fragrant basmati rice, pappadams, and tangy riata

DESSERTS
    Strawberry Pavlova – Crispy Meringue coated with fresh cream and topped with strawberry compote
    Chocolate Cherry Cake – Classic flavor combination in cake; served with a dollop of kirsch cream
    Low-fat blueberry and peach cobbler – Spiced with cinnamon and dusted with powder sugar
    Sugar-Free chocolate pot de Crème – Rich chocolate cream perfumed with a hint of coffee

Two

STARTERS
    Shrimp Cocktail
    Escargot Bourguignonne
    Lobster Bisque
    Oxtail Broth

MAIN COURSE
    Shrimp Ravioli – Bits of shrimp in pasta pillow, served in a creamy coconut-lim lobster sauce, atop wilted spinach and garnished with fried leeks
    Grilled Seafood Brochett - A monkfish, scallops, and shrimp kebab, served with potato and cauliflower hash, and a black olive and red bell pepper pesto beurre blanc.
    Roasted Duck – A black currant sauce and sweet red cabbage complement the richness of the duck, while golden brown potato croquettes add texture
    Sauteed Seasonal Mushrooms – In a blue cheese cream sauce and bohemian dumpling
    Potato Curry – Potatoes, onion and rich, spicy tomato curry served with fragrant basmati rice, pappadams and tangy raita.

DESSERTS
    Bittersweet Chocolate Souffle – With each bite, this warm delicacy melts on the tongue to release a hint of lightly bittersweet chocolate served with espresso custard
    Double Strawberry Cheesecake – Creamy cheesecake laced with a strawberry swirl; add a dollop of whipped cream, a spoonful of strawberry compote and enjoy
    Marinated Cherry Bake – Marinated cherries baked in a light cake served with vanilla sauce
    Low-fat Berry Mouse-Light strawberry and blueberry yogurt mousse accompanied by a rich-tasting, low fat vanilla sauce
    Sugar-free coconut vanilla layer cake – a Tahitian vanilla mousse rests between layers of moist cake; toasted coconut adds a bit of crunch.

THREE

STARTERS
    Antipasti – cured Italian ham, seasonal melon, grilled vegetables, marinated portabella mushrooms and baked caramelized garlic
    Scallop Risotto – Delicate sea scallops enhanced by the charred sweetness of corn, served over a creamy mascarpone risotto
    Creamy Roasted Garlic Soup – Mild and fragrant; garnished with rye bread croutons
    Strawberry bisque – perfectly chilled soup garnished with a sprig of fragrant mint
    Caesar Salad
    Insalata Mista – mixed greens, crisp zucchini, sweet red bell peppers and black olives

MAIN COURSE
    Rigatoni Pasta – Spicy chorizo , flavorful bell peppers, grilled corn, olive oil basil lend a southwestern twist to this dish
    Garlic Tiger Shrimp – reminiscent of classic shrimp scampu, sauted in garlic-herb butter and accompanied by seasonal vegetables
    Chicken Marsala – sautéed chicken scallopine nestled in Marsala mushroom sauce; served with buttery mashed potatoes and fresh veggies
    Eggplant and Roma Tomato Bake – Smothered in mozzarella cheese with basil-balsamic syrup drizzle
    Kaju Paneer Dhansak – Paneer, fenugreek, tarka dal and pineapple curry served with fragrant basmati rice, pappadams and tangy ratia

DESSERTS
    Warm Chocolate Cake – warm chocolate cake complemented by mil chocolate sauce and sweet roasted pears
    Raspberry Panna Cotta – full of raspberry flavor, this light Italian dessert is served on a crunchy almond butter cookie.
    Tiramisu
    Low-Fat angel food cake w/ grand marnier marinated strawberries
    Sugar-Free Chocolate mint cake

FOUR

STARTERS
    Exotic Fruits w/ mojito jelly
    Crab and Shrimp Salad – sweet crab meat, surimi and shrimp are served atop mixed lettuce, mango and papaya, and dressed with lime cilantro dressing.
    Beef and Veal Tortellaci – Tender pasta filled with Combination of beef and veal, enveloped in a zuchinni and garlic cream
    Jalapeno potato soup – this creamy potati soup has a twist of heat and a hint of sour cream for richness
    Chicken Consomme – flavorful broth with strips of crepe fettuccine, liberally garnished with chives
    Caesar Salad
    Seasonal Salad – with cool crisp cucumber and sweet red bell peppers

MAIN COURSE
    Parmesan-Crusted Turkey Tenderloin – a savory mustard sage sauce is the perfect foil for the tender parmesan-crusted turkey
    Cornmeal-Dusted Tilapia – Slightly crispu fish filet served with a healthy portion of Japanese ratatouille and a wasabi aioli
    Slow-Roasted Beef Shoulder Filet – served with decadent mascarpone mashed potatoes and a shiraz reduction
    Asparagus and Brie Tart – fresh asparagus and nutty Brie are nestled in a buttery crust – topped with grilled plum tomatoes and arugula salad; red pepper essence and chive oil add a bright touch
    Penne Tarantina – a chunky tomato and garlic sauce loaded with plump mussels, shrimp and sweet bay scallops all tossed with al dente pasta
    Gobi Ki Sabzi – cauliflower curry with cumin seeds, ginger, peppers and tomatoes served with fragrant basmati rice, pappadams and tangy raita.

DESSERTS
    Choca-Chino Trilogy – A Delightful chocolate trio: Sweet Grand Marnier white chocolate mousse, creamy mile chocolate kahlua cheesecake and a slice of dense dark chocolate mud cake
    BBB – Banana and Baileys Irish Cream brulee custard baked under a caramel crust
    Magic Mango Parfait – light, creamy frozen mango custard layered with Caribbean mango salsa
    Low-Fat Exotic pineapple and coconut cake – A Pina Colada in a flourless cake – with a healthy scoop of pineapple sorbet for good measure
    Steamed Sugar Free vanilla and berry custard w/ fresh berries

Five

STARTERS
    Papaya, lychee & water chestnut salad – crunchy and slightly sweet, this salad is dressed with a kaffir lime syrup
    Smoked Salmon Carpaccio – thinly sliced smoked atlantic salmon served with red oinion, capers and lime.
    Bread Mushrooms – fresh mushrooms are lightly breaded and fried until golden brown, served with tartar sauce
    Mulligatawny Soup – Spicy Indian soup with curried chicken, vegetables and rice
    Shellfish Saffron Consomme – Delicate broth with baby shrimp and leeks
    Chilled orange and banana Soup – sweet citrus and creamy banana complement each other garnished with julienne basil
    Caesar Salad
    Tomato Salad – Vine ripe tomatoes with sweet red onion and tangy crumbled blue cheese

MAIN COURSE
    Asian Duck – Ginger marinated duck glazed with orange hoisin sauce, roasted and served with stir –fried Chinese cabbage and steamed rice
    Baked Cheese Cannelloni 0 Tender ricotta filled pasta in Gruyere-parmesan sauce atop a beef and forest mushroom ragou
    Pan-Seared Tilapia – Tender fish served on a potato-leek gratin with corn niblets, snow peas and saffron beurre blanc
    Pan-Fried pork medallions – Served with tangy sour cream mashed potatoes, carmelized shallots and a savory port reduction
    Wild Mishroom and Goat cheese pizza – Earthy mushrooms, creamy cheese and crispy crust with a balsamic drizzle
    Bglai Cauliflower – Cauliflower, potatoes and green pea curry served with fragment basmati rice, pappadams and tangy raita

DESSERTS
    Pear Tart Bourdalou – Rich almond custard, topped with sliced pears and baked in a flaky crust
    Chocolate Banan Strudel – Bananas and dark chocolate wrapped in thin layers of strudel pasty, then baked until golden brown
    White chocolate cheesecake – Creamy and delectable, with a hint of lemon
    Low-Fat Mango Mousse – Silky dessert with the sweet subtle taste of fresh mango
    Sugar-Free Orange Yogurt Pudding – tangy citrus pudding with bittersweet orange reduction

SIX

Starters
    Eggplant and Kalamata Olive Tartare – Tomoato Coulis and Garlic crostini
    Seafood Salad – Shrimp, scallops and smoked salmon in a brandy cocktail sauce
    Creamed wild mushroom in Puff Pastry – A hearty blend of wild mushrooms, cream and herbs all encased in delicate puff pastry
    Cream of Asparagus – Pale green and creamy, this delicious classic soup is garnished with crunchy almonds
    Double Duck Consomme – Aged port gives this rich broth a depth of flavor and is garnished with a melange of julienne vegetables
    Roasted Peach Soup 0 roasting brings out the sweetness of this stone fruit; strawberries serve as a colorful garnish
    Caesar Salad
    House Salad – Boston and Oak leaf lettuce, vine ripe tomatoes and sunflower seeds

MAIN COURSE
    Thai BBQ Chicken Breats – The delicate perfume of jasmine rice is enhanced by coconut and lemongrass
    New England Bay Scallops and Ziti – Sweet bay scallops, grilled portabella mushrooms and fire-roasted red pepper pesto swirl around the pasta
    Fisherman’s Plate - A broiled lobster tail and garlicky shrimp served with broccoli florets
    Slow-Roasted Aged Prime Rib – Served with natural au jus, a fluffy baked potato and lightly glazed root vegetables
    Greek-Style Vegetarian Moussaka – On a chunky and tomato and oregano sauce
    Kabuli Chana – Chickpea curry served with fragrant basmati rice.

DESSERTS
    Dessert Sampler – A trio of exquisite and textures on one plate - ie. Chocolate Cake, Cheesecake, and Pana cotta (if I remember correctly)
    Cherries Jubilee – Warmed, dark red cherries laced with Kirsch; generously ladled over vanilla ice cream
    Low Fat Double Passion Fruit Cheesecake – Low fat cheesecake laced with a passion fruit swirl, served on a bed of mango sauce.
    Sugar Free Red Berry Tart – Delicate, flaky pie crust filled with sugar free vanilla pastry cream and fresh red berries

SEVEN

STARTERS
    Fresh Seasonal Fruits – Laced with passion fruit coulis
    House Terrine - The Sweetness of port wine enhances this rich duck pate, waldorf salad is a nice complement
    Crab Cake – Meaty crab meat cake atop corn salsa, with tequila-lime sour cream
    New England Clam Chowder – More like a rich, creamy stew than a soup, filled with chinke of vegetables, potatoes and clams
    Asian-Style Chicken Soup – Full-Flavored Chicken broth with wontons, oyster mushrooms, bok choy and scallions
    Chilled Golden Delicious Apple Soup – A hint of cinnamon perfectly enhances the apple flavor
    Caesar Salad
    Focaccia and Tomato Salad - Crusty focaccia , bocconcini and ripe tomato slices tossed with fresh basil served family style

MAIN COURSE
    Panko-Cilantro Crusted Catch of the Day – Fresh fish filet sautéed golden and served with basmati rice, cauliflower, spinach and a Cognac-curry sauce
    Cheese Tortelloni - Delicate cheese-filled pasta nestled in a light suace of blue cheese and bits of rich-tasting sun-dried tomatoes
    Roasted Garlic and herb Rack of Lamb – Sautéed vegetables, mashed potatoes and a rich Cabernet wine sauce
    Pan-fried cauliflower cakes – Fried to a crispy, golden brown and served with sautéed pimentos, asparagus and cumin-cilantro sour cream.
    Slow-Roasted Double-Cut Prok Loin Steak – Savory pork loin, served atop a bed of braised lentils with crisp green beans, potato gratin and onion jus
    Vegetable Vindaloo – Cauliflower, broccoli, beans, peas, carrots, tomatoes and sweet corn curry served with fragrant basmati rice, papadams, and tangy raita.

DESSERTS
    Ivory Chocolate Fondue – Sweet berries in a white chocolate mousse; a crunchy biscuit is served to add a nice texture.
    Apple Pie a la Mode – Slices of spiced Golden Delicious apples baked in a flaky double crust, topped with creamy vanilla ice cream
    Dulce de Leche Cheesecake – Sweet cheesecake with swirls of caramel and a hint of coffee
    Low-Fat Caramelized pina colada tart – Pinneapple and coconut flavored filling double-baked in a flaky crust
    Sugar-Free Fruit Pillow – Fluffy puff pastry filled with creamy vanilla custard and topped with zesty fruit compote

EIGHT

STARTERS
    Morocccan-Spiced Chicken Salad – Slices of grilled Moroccan spiced chicken breast with eggplant, arugula, shredded carrots, green beans and raisins
    Shrimp Cocktail
    Spinach Dip – Warm and creamy, this spinach dip is classic comfort food at its best; served with crispy tortilla chips
    Cream of Pumpkin – Finished with candied walnuts and a dash of sour cream
    Onion Soup – Caramelized onions are simmered in rich beef broth, full of flavor, each serving is finished with a Gruyere toast
    Chilled Raspberry and Pineapple Soup - A unique combination of seet, fresh berries blended with pineapple
    Caesar Salad

MAIN COURSE
    Shrimp and Mahi Mahi Tempura - Lightly coated in tempura, fried golden and served with stir fried vegetables and clili-lime plum sauce
    Grilled NY Strip Steak – With a tomato confit stuffed portabella mushroom, fresh green beans, mashed potato and your choice of béarnaise sauce or Gorgonzola butter
    Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella Calzone –Baked golden and served with a cherry tomoato and garlic confit salsa
    Rice Biryani – Delicately flavored with saffron and spices, served with pappadams and tangy raita
    Roasted Turkey – Served with apple bread stuffing, rich cider gravy, creamy rutabaga mash, Brussels sprouts, carrot sticks and tart cranberry sauce
    Potato Gnocchi – Tossed with ham and garden peas in a cream reduction

DESSERTS
    Chocolate Brownie Sandwich – A dark bittersweet chocolate wedged between layers of rich chocolate brownie
    Key Lime Pie – tangy, creamy custard with the distinctive flavor of key lime nestled in a flaky pie crust
    Banana and Crunchy Nut Partfait – Creamy, frozen banana custard in layers of luscious whipped cream finished with caramel-fudge sauce, almonds and macadamia nuts
    Low-Fat Apple Cake – This wheat caje is topped with apples and served on an almond biscuit
    Sugar-Free key Lime Pie – tangy, sugar free key lime custard in a flaky pie crust, served with marinated berries

ENTERTAINMENT

• You can send an email to RCI about four weeks prior to your cruise and they will give you the entertainment line up that they have. Just give them your ship and sail date. I have yet to have them send me the head liner on the Oasis or Allure.

Send your request here.

web_reservations@rccl.com

There is an underscore between web_reservations.

• 70 s disco street party is day 6 cozumel at 10pm

· The Central Park area ended up being our favorite area to relax and spend time. The Northern Lights Duo performed almost every night in Central Park and we so enjoyed the relaxing music. Do not miss this duo as the talent level is exceptional

· lThe production of Chicago is fabulous and every bit as good as what you would see on Broadway.

· The production of “Blue Planet” I expected to be an environmentally oriented version of a Cirque show. It had the Cirque gymnastics and aerial work, but the songs and music were a rather uninspired collection of Beatles and Black Eyed Peas songs, that, while expertly performed, were somewhat less than inspired choices.

• Shows: OceanAria is an absolute must see show! It is an obvious Cirque Du Soleil rip-off, but it a rip-off that is done extremely well! From the initial horn blasts until the last curtain call I was absolutely riveted. Best show I've ever seen on a boat by a country mile

BACK TO BACK TIPS

· I had not received the letter in the stateroom as a Consecutive Cruiser so headed off to Guest Services to get the details of where I was to go later.

· Time now to move all my clothes etc to my new stateroom. My stateroom attendant loaded up the trolley with my suitcases..oh and all the school supplies which the Critters had donated earlier that week after boarding. So with a very full trolley off we went to my new abode for the week. My new room wasn't ready, naughty attendant had forgotten he was meant to call ahead to new attendant to ensure room was ready for me but hey no worries I was allowed to unload everything into the room and head out to meet up with others who were doing the B2B.

There had been a meeting held for those doing B2B (Consecutive Cruise) the previous day in Studio B, where we were told of a special benefit for those doing B2B...free laundry on day 3 of the 12/5 sailing. Nice one RCCL, thank you. We were also informed of the B2B lunch that would be held in the dining room for us also on turnaround day. If I remember correctly there was around 350 B2B's which apparently was a record amount. Perhaps this is why there was a mess when it came to our new Sea Passes on 12/5.

No problems getting off the ship and back through to get our new Sea Passes but here is where there was a problem....there weren't new Sea Passes for some of us. So we sat there and waited and waited...oh here comes someone with Sea Passes...nope not all of them. There was in the end about 20 of us who didn't get a new Sea Pass.

Finally we were led onto the ship and told to go to Guest Services and tell them we didn't have Sea Passes..umm hello why leave that up to us to do..grrrr. Eventually we got our new Sea Passes but then we were told we had to go back out to get our photos taken again. At this time the new guests were getting on the ship and we were trying to get off....sigh

On day 3 which was the free laundry day for the Consecutive Cruisers, I had to go ask my stateroom attendant about it as I had not received the bag for the laundry. The attendant forgot I had been on the 12/1 sailing but quickly sorted me out a bag and I filled it and sent off my dirty laundry which I got back all nice and clean and folded the next day.

• When you book make sure that both reservations are linked through the Consecutive Cruise desk. This way you only need to print off one SetSail Pass as all information is transferred from one account to the next account

PORTS

falmouth

We ventured to the gate and were met by friendly security that asked where we going and what our plans were. Looking beyond, it did not seem at all unruly. We explained our thoughts of My Time n Place and a look around. Security asked if we wanted a taxi and we said yes. Security spent some time finding a taxi that knew exactly where we wanted to go. Although only a few miles from the port, most of the taxi drivers were from Montego Bay or elsewhere and really did not know the area. Security checked his credentials and we felt very safe taking the taxi. We did walk a bit through the area and I don’t know where the previously mentioned male had traveled in the past, but short of Bermuda and Grand Cayman, this was the most pleasant Carribean port I have ever been to - no aggressive salespeople and no feeling of a need to clutch your purse.

Now for the highlight of our visit - My Time n Place (www.mytimenplace.com). As we approached I was a bit apprehensive. It appeared a bit run down and I was not sure of what I had let myself in for. The second we walked out to the deserted sandy beach, I knew I had found the spot. We had 2 lounges in the shade and a pina colada in hand within 5 minutes. The soft waves and shelless beach made for perfect swimming. We had a jerked beef, pork and chicken lunch and countless pina coladas. Tony, the owner, spent much time with us explaining his concept for his property and hopes for Falmouth. We explored the cabins and knew it would be a place for a perfect, no hassle vacation. That is if room service, TV, grandiose lobbies and hundreds of other guests are not requirements. Imagine a vacation in a bathing suit and sarong.

At the appointed time our taxi arrived to bring us back to the ship with a quick drive through of the town. He waited for us as we were just not quite ready to leave.

On the negative side, $40 round trip for a taxi ride of about 5 minutes is rather high and we forgot our backpack in the taxi. Fortunately it only contained the ship’s beach towels (that cost us $40 for not returning them). We remembered the backpack 15 minutes after leaving the taxi, but he was nowhere to be found. As the ship was sailing at 5PM and it was now 4:30, we gave up the search. I believe if you contact Tony ahead of time, more reasonable travel arrangements might be made.

• (a)Labadee, Haiti – Beautiful Island. If you are a suite stateroom, you can rent a Cabana at their private beach. It is awesome. Royal Caribbean has created this place and it has all the amenities you need, so you do not need to bring water, towels and carry any stuff off the ship. They golf cart you over, definitely rent a waterfront cabana, comes with loungers, sofa, water cooler with Evian water. They give you chairs at the beach, snorkel gear and more towels if needed. Best part they serve you lunch too, and no need to worry about changing, the washrooms are very good to excellent. Makes you have a hassle free and strict fun in the sun day

Cozumel

• A number of us from our 3/27 roll call have reservations to go to Nachi Cocom Beach Club in Cozumel. It gets really good reviews (and a few people from the roll call have been there before) and allows only 100 people per day. It's all inclusive and is $48 per adult.
    Here's the website: http://www.cozumelnachicocom.net/

DRINKS

• Learn how to make the perfect martini $18 in the champagne bar

Pre cruise hotels

Great location...right next to small mall w/ grocery, liquor stores & sports bar.

Picked up Hyatt on hotwire (knew it...thanks, betterbidding.com) for $75/nt w/ taxes. EX was $175. Both have hot breakfasts. Hyatt shuttle to port is free; ES charges now. Call cab for only $10.

Valuetrips.com

Priceline does indeed charge a fee but it is lumped in with the taxes. When Priceline first started, the $5.95 per booking was very clearly noted and separated from the taxes then they decided to lump everything all together. Same with Hotwire but their booking fees are more.

Bottom line: you are still saving money by booking through Priceline. I have had hundreds of nights of stays over the last decade. I never would have traveled as much as I have if not for venues like Priceline and Hotwire.

The Hilton FL Marina which is just east of the Renaissance by the bridge is the only other 4 star in tthe downtown area. I have not seen it coming up recently. You will probablybget the Renaissance. They are both nice properties. Check on biddingfortravel.com

Mar 9 3:00 PM

Priceline for 1 night FLL Apr 2 2011 (Sat nite)

Kept trying last few days combination of $75 upto $95 for downtown 4* adding with $5 less the 3* plus all without luck. Finally succumbed now to trying $80 for 3*. Got Hilton Marina. All bids did not include tax

Just won 4 star Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina for $60--night of Mar. 27th. Total of $74.59 with taxes and fees. The cheapest price on the Hilton website is $199, plus $20 in taxes. My bid was for a 3 star downtown and I was upgraded to a 4 star. I had been bidding 4 stars for a while, hoping to get the Renaissance. No success, so I lowered my bid to a 3 star

FLL winning Priceline bid moments ago

Fort Lauderdale Bid Priceline

March 3rd & 5th, 2011

Bid 3* star Fort Lauderdale- Plantation

1st Bid - $50

Added other Zones till offer reached 65

Upgraded to 4* Renaissance For Lauderdale Plantation

Taxes & Fees: $23.84

Total Charges*: $153.84 for 2 Nights

Reg. rate is $169/night

Fort Lauderdale

April 8-11. 2011

Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa

4*

Bid - $97

taxes/fees 15.01

Thanks for this incredible sticky. The cheapest that I could find on my own was $322 using my AAA/AMA card.

Have been bidding for weeks on Priceline for Ft. Lauderdale "Downtown" 4* hotels (none of my bids from $60 - $115 were accepted). Decided to open my location zone to "Ft. Lauderdale Beach" and won the following bid this morning:

W Hotel Ft. Lauderdale

4*

1 Night - 03/31/11

$100 plus tax

Looks like a beautiful hotel and seems to have great reviews so I'm looking forward to our pre-cruise stay...

Bid $75 for 4* in Fort Lauderdale 3/26

Got Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Plantation.

Total - $90 with taxes and fees

FLL Bid Priceline

April 1-3,2011 (2 nights)

4* Hollywood

Westin Diplomat Beach Resort

$100 X 2 = $200 + ~$33.00 taxes & fees

Total $233.

FLL Bid Priceline

February 16th, 2011 - 1 night

3.5* Fort Lauderdale Airport

Hilton Fort Lauderdale Airport

$46 + $10 bonus cash = $56+ taxes/fees

FLL Bid Priceline

March 10th & 11th, 2011

Bid 3* star FLL Airport

1st Bid - $50 - advised to raise to $65

I knew better and tried $52 and scored at $54

Upgraded to 3 1/2 * Hilton Fort Lauderdale Airport

3 rooms for $324.00

Taxes & Fees: $49.38

Total Charges*: $373.38 for 3 rooms for 2 Nights

Reg. rate is $169

FLL Bid Priceline

April 13,2011

4 star FLL Beach

1st Bid

1 room

W Fort Lauderdale Beach

equivalent $90 plus+taxes

1 Night

Thanks for the tips!

Per the Hyatt Place North website:

"Beginning April 1, 2011, transportation to the Port Everglades (cruise port) will be $6/person. Service available for drop off only"

I guess the rising gas prices were too much to offer the free service anymore.

Thanks for taking the time to post!

Great info and wow, lots of it, I see that you enjoyed your time at My Time n Place, this sounds like a perfect way to spend the day, I have a 14 year old, do you think he would enjoy it? I know he would love the beach?

This was beautiful.

What a lot of work, thanks for sharing.

Great material to add to what we had. We sailed Oasis last year on the first week of May and can't wait until a week from tomorrow for the Allure.

Your daily Compass was a good add to our electronic files that sent to Amazon and back to my wifes Kindle. Everything is organized and ready to go.

It is also SNOWING right now in NH. Ugh.

This was beautiful.

What a lot of work, thanks for sharing.

Great material to add to what we had. We sailed Oasis last year on the first week of May and can't wait until a week from tomorrow for the Allure.

Your daily Compass was a good add to our electronic files that sent to Amazon and back to my wifes Kindle. Everything is organized and ready to go.

It is also SNOWING right now in NH. Ugh.

It is snowing in Maine right now too. It is feeling more like Christmas than Easter.

I hope you have a wonderful trip in May. I will look forward to reading your review.

THanks for posting the daily menu. However, are you sure this is current? I went to the website you reference but it is dated Jan 2010...almost 1.5 years ago.

http://www.**************.com/royal-caribbean-international/45312-new-fleet-wide-menus.html

Also, it has menus for 8 evenings. I thought this is a seven day cruise?

THanks for posting the daily menu. However, are you sure this is current? I went to the website you reference (Royal Carribean "New Fleetwide Menus".) but it is dated Jan 2010...almost 1.5 years ago.

I just got a bit of a fright when I read some of the tips....a bit of my review from 12/1 & 12/5 sailing has been inserted into it...I was like wow someone had same experience as me...then I realised it was from my review. :o
Me too, the menu was from my post about new menus. Talk about De'javu! sp? :o

Thanks for taking the time to compile all of this. My Allure cruise is just over a year but I can't help but absorb all I can about this ship. Only plan on doing the Oasis class once so want to make the best of it. Thankful for so many sea days this cruise.

Is there really (menu) food and free beer & wine IN the CL for lunch?

BonVoyage

Dawna

THanks for posting the daily menu. However, are you sure this is current? I went to the website you reference but it is dated Jan 2010...almost 1.5 years ago.

http://www.**************.com/royal-caribbean-international/45312-new-fleet-wide-menus.html

THanks for posting the daily menu. However, are you sure this is current? I went to the website you reference (Royal Carribean "New Fleetwide Menus".) but it is dated Jan 2010...almost 1.5 years ago.

That was my fault. There has indeed been some changes to this menu, just wish I had documented my March cruise a bit better. Some items have changed and there are some new items. One that stands out in my mind is the fried wontons as an appetizer, YUM! But I am a wontons freak. I was on an 8 night cruise in March, sorry about that. I was just inquiring if that was indeed the new menu or old stuff because it did seem different from my July cruise.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Archived