Michael Bayley named Pres. & CEO

Orator

Just announced that Executive VP for Operations, Michael Bayley has been named President & CEO for Celebrity. Been with the company for 30 years. I wish him well.

It sounds like he knows the "operational" side, but, how well does he appreciate good customer service, motivating and supporting the staff, marketing, quality of the experience, etc.? Then, there are the serious financial challenges for cruise ships these days. Should be interesting in how things change and evolve.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 95,143 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

On the news wires, it did note: "Prior to this role, Bayley served as Executive Vice President, International, where he oversaw the international expansion for the company."

Since our next cruise with Celebrity is on the Solstice for Australia and New Zealand in early 2014, I am glad that he understands and appreciates that focus on expanding the cruise line to offer a wider variety of ports and places than just the Carib and Med. We are glad that Celebrity has upgrade its "down under" offerings by having the Solstice there in that area.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 95,143 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

I happened to notice that the most recent Wall Street/financial data just came out for RCCL, the Celebrity parent. It details some of the challenges in the current competitive world economy.

From nasdaq.com yesterday morning, they have this headline: "Royal Caribbean Underperforms in 2Q" with these highlights: "Royal Caribbean Cruises has reported second-quarter 2012 adjusted earnings of 3 cents per share, which fell short of the Zacks Consensus Estimate of 4 cents. Total revenue in the quarter increased 3.0% year over year to $1,821.0 million. The rise in yield was driven by a 3.0% improvement in net ticket revenue and a 3.8% increase in on-board revenue. The occupancy rate inched up to 104.1% from 103.7% in the prior-year quarter. Total cruise operating expenses rose 9.3% year over year to $1,296.0 million. NCC excluding fuel increased 8.3% on constant-currency basis. At the end of the quarter, total long-term debt was $7.1 billion versus $7.9 billion in the year-ago quarter. For full-year 2012, management slashed its earnings per share guidance to the range of $1.70-$1.80 from the range of $1.80-$2.10."

This summary gets a little technical, but, here was their overall take on the cruise industry: "We are a bit doubtful about the sector's performance over the near term as the joint effect of Royal Caribbean's close competitor Carnival Corp.'s ship grounding in January and economic turmoil in Europe continue to nag. While management commented that passengers, especially who are not first-time cruisers, have almost recovered from the grounding tragedy in Italy in January this year, the slump in bookings in the peak booking season along with a faltering market sentiment will actually mar Royal's performance this year. However, as these threats are short term in nature, we remain positive on the stock of the world's second-largest cruise operator over the long term based on a host of factors including relatively stabilized booking patterns, cost containment efforts, fuel conservation initiatives and the slowdown in industry capacity at the current level."

Full story at:

http://community.nasdaq.com/News/2012-07/royal-caribbean-underperforms-in-2q-analyst-blog.aspx?storyid=159637

Hi Everyone,

Interesting news, and I'm glad the wait is over. I wish Mr Bayley and Ms Lutoff-Perlo all the very best of success in their new positions.

Just announced that Executive VP for Operations, Michael Bayley has been named President & CEO for Celebrity. Been with the company for 30 years. I wish him well.

Having an Executive VP for Ops move to CEO is a tremendous plus for Celebrity, just so so happy they made it an internal move rather than someone outside the loop, as I think they are on a great growth path right now

Also think it shows a greater confidence in Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, as this position coupled with her past work would seem to make me think they are grooming her to be next CEO of Celebrity/RCCL/or Azamara

I would hope that once he settles into his new position Mr. Bayley will come on Cruise Critic and have some discussion with loyal Celebrity Cruisers. Think this would be a good PR move as it would show him open to customers. Think a Q&A format as used by Dan Hanrahan could be useful. I'd like to see topics include web site and possible enhancements to Loyalty program. Certain that others have topics to suggest.

So who is going into the Hotel Ops role at Celebrity - that is one of the most important in relation to your cruise experience?

Good question Uktog. I'm wondering the same thing. I believe we will learn about Ms Lutoff-Perlo's successor shortly.

Having an Executive VP for Ops move to CEO is a tremendous plus for Celebrity, just so so happy they made it an internal move rather than someone outside the loop, as I think they are on a great growth path right now

Also think it shows a greater confidence in Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, as this position coupled with her past work would seem to make me think they are grooming her to be next CEO of Celebrity/RCCL/or Azamara

I was thinking along the same lines as you. I wish them both much success. And I hope my stock will inch its way back up again!

So who is going into the Hotel Ops role at Celebrity - that is one of the most important in relation to your cruise experience?

Wouldn't surprise me if they continued to look inside. Perhaps someone with onship Hotel Director experience?

I would hope that once he settles into his new position Mr. Bayley will come on Cruise Critic and have some discussion with loyal Celebrity Cruisers. Think this would be a good PR move as it would show him open to customers. Think a Q&A format as used by Dan Hanrahan could be useful. I'd like to see topics include web site and possible enhancements to Loyalty program. Certain that others have topics to suggest.

Hi Orator,

Our Community Manager has reached out to Celebrity with an invite, and we hope that Mr Bayley will visit with us !

Not intending to come across negative but this guy has been there 30 years. What ground breaking improvements has he made? Will he keep Celebrity in the same gear or has he new ideas in how to make successful improvements.

I hope this move has been done for the right reasons and not for some internal policics when its the "old boys" methodology as opposed to "better the customer experience" methodology.

Still I suppose its marginally than an outsider wrecking what Mr Hanrahan built.

I hope the new CEO is just as dynamic as his predecessor.

Hi Orator,

Our Community Manager has reached out to Celebrity with an invite, and we hope that Mr Bayley will visit with us !

I expected that would happen. I would be surprised if he declined.

On the news wires, it did note: "Prior to this role, Bayley served as Executive Vice President, International, where he oversaw the international expansion for the company."

Since our next cruise with Celebrity is on the Solstice for Australia and New Zealand in early 2014, I am glad that he understands and appreciates that focus on expanding the cruise line to offer a wider variety of ports and places than just the Carib and Med. We are glad that Celebrity has upgrade its "down under" offerings by having the Solstice there in that area.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Terry,

I strongly agree, I appreciate that Celebrity has cruises to and from South America, Australia, New Zealand, Asia, the British Isles and Black Sea. We started out on NCL, but they just don't go where we want to go now.

However, as these threats are short term in nature, we remain positive on the stock of the world's second-largest cruise operator over the long term based on a host of factors including relatively stabilized booking patterns, cost containment efforts, fuel conservation initiatives and the slowdown in industry capacity at the current level."

Should cruisers be concerned about the "cost containment efforts" portion of this release ??

However, as these threats are short term in nature, we remain positive on the stock of the world's second-largest cruise operator over the long term based on a host of factors including relatively stabilized booking patterns, cost containment efforts, fuel conservation initiatives and the slowdown in industry capacity at the current level."

Should cruisers be concerned about the "cost containment efforts" portion of this release ??

"Cost containment" can take many forms. If they improve efficiency by using new technology, fine. If they "contain" by reducing the overall value and quality of the product, not so fine. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I love all these new financial and revenue terms that actually mean nothing, yet all these "wet behind the ears with no real grafting experienced so called leading experts" come out with, to dress up a pretty bad situation. I wish we could go back to old school before industry was littered with nonsense buzz words.

"Cost containment" can take many forms. If they improve efficiency by using new technology, fine. If they "contain" by reducing the overall value and quality of the product, not so fine. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Agree!!! Well summarized by Orator. Most (but not all) consumers want the best "value". They look out for, seek and like those lower prices. That helps stretch budgets and allows us to do MORE! BUT, there can be economic trade-offs with "cost containment". Maybe money is saved, but there are risks in cutting in the wrong places that people notice and hate. With all that is involved in servicing that $7.1 BILLION in company debt (much of it for the $700 million a copy Solstice-class ships), plus labor, food, fuel, maintenance, marketing, management, etc., those costs do add up. Unlike certain governments, Celebrity and their parent RCCL do not have "printing presses" to defy the rules of economics.

Archived