Just back from the Monarch! Thoughts from a "big ship" kind of girl.

When I started reading these boards, I never thought I'd be a frequent cruiser. Perhaps I'm still a newbie compared with many of you, but with 5 cruises under my belt (2 this year plus an upcoming cruise this November), I FEEL like a frequent cruiser! :) To date, I've only cruised the big ships: Mariner, Freedom and Allure (twice). I've always wanted to try a "small" ship, and a few months ago, I booked Monarch of the Seas.

Why Monarch?

First, it fit into a Florida family visit we had scheduled at the end of July; cruising from Port Canaveral was only a short drive for us. Second, the price was right to bring our family of 5 onboard. Third, it would bring our C&A status to Platinum. Finally, and most importantly, it would be a great way to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday.

Admittedly, I was apprehensive about Monarch. Sure, I was excited that we'd be taking another cruise, but she was so SMALL and OLD compared to the other ships I had sailed. Plus, I was worried that my children (ages 12.5, almost 9, and almost 4) would be bored. So, how was it? Read on...

We booked 2 connecting F2 Ocean view staterooms. If I ever complained about the size of our previous staterooms (I don't think I have!), then I could easily complain about the size of Monarch's staterooms.

The staterooms are small, but adequate for two people. I really missed having a sofa/love seat - that little extra space makes a difference. The TV is a small, tube, and non-interactive, but it works. However, the stateroom was clean, had comfortable beds, had a large enough closet for the amount of time we were there (4 nights), and had a vanity with 4 drawers and shelves. Oh, I finally experienced that small, clingy shower curtain, leak like the Watergate shower. Wouldn't bat an eye if I never had to experience that again.

A note about connecting cabins... my kids had no problem SQUEEZING through the door. However, I had to manipulate the beds in order to open the door enough for DH and me to fit. We managed, but it was easier to enter the state rooms from the hallway.

Overall, the stateroom was fine - good enough for a 4 night cruise. Expect no frills, and you shall receive.

The entertainment was what I perceive as "stereotypically cruise ship" offerings. The singers and dancers did a nice job with what they had, but it was a far cry from Allure (just don't compare... go with the flow and enjoy). The comedian was funny - and clean (an oxymoron?). The Love and Marriage was one of the best (the best?) I've seen. Marc, the cruise director, was entertaining and available to the guests. The live bands were fantastic and found throughout the ship: Centrum, Boleros, Schooner Bar, and pool side. We also found many other entertainment options in the Compass... mostly fun time occupiers!

We started out fairly small. Our fist cruise was on Celebrity's Horizon to Bermuda. We had an amazing time and it hooked us on cruising. But as you are "a big ship kind of girl", I am definitely a big ship kind of guy. I am looking forward to the rest of your postings.

Dining options included the main dining room, Windjammer (buffet line), Sorrento's Pizzeria, Jade (Asian), Ben and Jerry's, and room service.

We chose My Time Dining and enjoyed our meals and service. EXCELLENT service with good meals. Knowing the chefs prepare 16,000 meals PER DAY certainly put it in perspective for me. I know what my homemade meals taste like when I prepare them for my family of 5... no complaints from me about the dining room food! ;)

The Windjammer had a nice selection and always had enough seating for my family (5) plus my mom and mother-in-law. I did find the Windjammer to be a little sloppy at times. I'm not sure if this was due to the number of teenagers or lack of staff?

Sorrento's Pizzeria was always busy when we visited, but they managed to serve everyone quickly. Cookies and small desserts were also offered.

Ben and Jerry's was good... how could it not be? There is a small fee, but worth the splurge if you want a rich dessert.

For the first time, we did not try room service or Jade.

On a general note, I'm so disappointed in Royal's desserts. They really lack in flavor and quality. The "best" I found (i.e. worth eating) were the key lime pie and the chocolate cake, but neither of those was exceptional. It is time for Royal Caribbean to use quality ingredients!

My 3 year old son LOVED the Adventure Ocean kids' club! And that may be a huge understatement. Where else could he become a superhero AND a pirate within hours of each other? Royal Caribbean does a fantastic job with the kids, and I truly appreciate their efforts to keep my children entertained. Because we had only one sea day, we only had one day to try the club - it was a winner, and my son can't wait to go back in November.

Looking forward to hearing your point of view. I was looking to go on Enchantment next year after mostly sailing Oasis, Voyager, and Freedom Class ships.

I have Enchantment booked for next June... I haven't cruised on her, but I'm not sure she can be compared with Monarch. More research is needed on my part. :)

We started out fairly small. Our fist cruise was on Celebrity's Horizon to Bermuda. We had an amazing time and it hooked us on cruising. But as you are "a big ship kind of girl", I am definitely a big ship kind of guy. I am looking forward to the rest of your postings.

Without spoiling my ending... I'm still a big ship kind of girl. ;)

Thanks for reading.

DH and I are headed to a weekender on Majesty over Thanksgiving weekend. When I hear people talk about the "big" ships, I guess I don't have a clue. When looking at my countdown clocks, I have noticed that I have never been, nor are booked for a "big" ship. While I expect Majesty to be small, it doesn't look a whole lot smaller than the ships I have already been on. :D It will be interesting but again, I haven't been on anything "big" so I hope I am not disappointed! I guess eventually I will make it up the chain of bigger ships!

Glad you guys had fun. I've cruised big ships (the Celebrity Constellation wasn't as big as a RCI Voyager class, but not real small, either), and I'm curious as to what some of those cheaper but port rich Caribbean cruises on small ships might be like.

I'd miss the Royal Promenade...

Richard.

Enjoying your take...and your review of the ship i took my first RCI cruise nearly 20 years ago;)

I'm not embarrassed to say that for Caribbean cruises, I like a big busy ship!:o;)

BTW- you may be newish, but multiple people mention that your reviews are helpful to them...and isn't that what it is all about:D Looking forward to the rest!

The Monarch is 21 years old and shows her age, but she is well kept. Although I was slightly apprehensive about cruising on such a "small" ship after cruising on the big ones, I always have a good time while on vacation - this was no exception. We were kept busy enough through the week and were never bored. The ship layout was new to me, but was easy to navigate once I did my deck-to-deck walkthrough.

However, I really missed the big ship experience. I love the Royal Promenade, specialty dining experiences, multi-level dining rooms, Solarium, and, dare I say, H2O Zone.

It's unlikely that I'll cruise on Monarch again, but I would recommend her for a short cruise for someone who doesn't cruise for the ship. I've learned that I LOVE the bigger ships and all they offer, but I'm still willing to try the Radiance class.

For me, the most important thing is being with my family. I had a great vacation and made memories to last a life time. Who can complain about that?

DH and I are headed to a weekender on Majesty over Thanksgiving weekend. When I hear people talk about the "big" ships, I guess I don't have a clue. When looking at my countdown clocks, I have noticed that I have never been, nor are booked for a "big" ship. While I expect Majesty to be small, it doesn't look a whole lot smaller than the ships I have already been on. :D It will be interesting but again, I haven't been on anything "big" so I hope I am not disappointed! I guess eventually I will make it up the chain of bigger ships!

I didn't have a clue about the small ships until this week! I'm really glad I had the experience, and can see how many people are drawn to the intimacy. We heard from many first time cruisers that it was the best vacation they ever had! I wonder if I would have felt the same if it had been my FIRST cruise?

Glad you guys had fun. I've cruised big ships (the Celebrity Constellation wasn't as big as a RCI Voyager class, but not real small, either), and I'm curious as to what some of those cheaper but port rich Caribbean cruises on small ships might be like.

I'd miss the Royal Promenade...

Richard.

I think Monarch was great for a short cruise, and the price was right (and even better for those who booked after final payment). We couldn't have rented a beach condo, been wined and dined for the price we paid for the "work week." I would consider a larger smaller ship (Enchantment, Radiance Class) if the price was right, especially considering the possibility of a better itinerary. I did miss the Promenade though.

Thanks for your input. We are on Majesty in 24days, after just coming off Freedom. Looking forward to the destinations,don't really care what the ship has or doesn't have to offer.the worst thing about taking a cruise is they have to end !

Agreed! A positive attitude is a must to make any vacation a great one!

Enjoying your take...and your review of the ship i took my first RCI cruise nearly 20 years ago;)

I'm not embarrassed to say that for Caribbean cruises, I like a big busy ship!:o;)

BTW- you may be newish, but multiple people mention that your reviews are helpful to them...and isn't that what it is all about Looking forward to the rest!

Four days was long enough on Monarch, but not long enough for a cruise! We had a great time, but I can't wait to get back on the big ships... Liberty is next in just a few months. :D

Thanks for your "BTW" remarks. I love sharing my experiences with the Cruise Critic community. :) Just wished I had the time and energy to write a full-blown review that's more typical of me. Next time. Maybe. ;)

The Monarch is 21 years old and shows her age, but she is well kept. Although I was slightly apprehensive about cruising on such a "small" ship after cruising on the big ones, I always have a good time while on vacation - this was no exception. We were kept busy enough through the week and were never bored. The ship layout was new to me, but was easy to navigate once I did my deck-to-deck walkthrough.

However, I really missed the big ship experience. I love the Royal Promenade, specialty dining experiences, multi-level dining rooms, Solarium, and, dare I say, H2O Zone.

It's unlikely that I'll cruise on Monarch again, but I would recommend her for a short cruise for someone who doesn't cruise for the ship. I've learned that I LOVE the bigger ships and all they offer, but I'm still willing to try the Radiance class.

For me, the most important thing is being with my family. I had a great vacation and made memories to last a life time. Who can complain about that?

Radiance Class....as long as it's already been Oasis'izd....like Radiance....is night and day difference from Monarch/Majesty. Imagine pretty much all the specialty dining choices of an Oasis class ship packed into a ship that is about 2/3'rds less passengers ....starting to get the picture....and with a dedicated diamond lounge and a concierge lounge....it will be nice having Brilliance here in Tampa fall/winter of 13 with all her updating:) Don't get me wrong....LOVE the big ships....but I was on Radiance in Alaska this June and loved having all those specialty dining choices....was a big difference from when I sailed her before the changes....and all for the positive as far as I am concerned.

We started out small and graduated up to bigger ships as they kept building them. It's been a long time since Majesty. We thought it was pretty great back then but it might be a shock going back to see how small it actually is. It's probably like visiting your kids elementary school for the first time and thinking, "Wow, these desks are really small." :eek:

Radiance Class....as long as it's already been Oasis'izd....like Radiance....is night and day difference from Monarch/Majesty. Imagine pretty much all the specialty dining choices of an Oasis class ship packed into a ship that is about 2/3'rds less passengers ....starting to get the picture....and with a dedicated diamond lounge and a concierge lounge....it will be nice having Brilliance here in Tampa fall/winter of 13 with all her updating:) Don't get me wrong....LOVE the big ships....but I was on Radiance in Alaska this June and loved having all those specialty dining choices....was a big difference from when I sailed her before the changes....and all for the positive as far as I am concerned.

This is great to know - thanks for sharing your point of view.

From reviews I've read and pictures I've seen, the Radiance Class is definitely on my radar. Unfortunately, I can't find a good time to book one! I wish a summer cruise out of Tampa was on Royal's radar, but not yet... keeping my fingers crossed.

For now, I have Enchantment booked. I'm waiting to read/see the updates she gets this fall before determining if I keep the booking for next June. I know I won't have a bad vacation on her, but I don't want to use my vacation time on a ship I feel I'm "settling" on - make sense?

I have Enchantment booked for next June... I haven't cruised on her, but I'm not sure she can be compared with Monarch. More research is needed on my part. :)

Without spoiling my ending... I'm still a big ship kind of girl. ;)

Thanks for reading.

Enhancement is a big difference from Monarch. Both different type of ships. Ironically Enhancement is longer than Monarch but holds less guests. (Larger rooms).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse typographical errors.

We started out small and graduated up to bigger ships as they kept building them. It's been a long time since Majesty. We thought it was pretty great back then but it might be a shock going back to see how small it actually is. It's probably like visiting your kids elementary school for the first time and thinking, "Wow, these desks are really small." :eek:

I was thinking it's more like going from quilted, double ply toilet paper to rough, single ply toilet paper. Both will do the job, but one is more pleasant to use. ;)

Enhancement is a big difference from Monarch. Both different type of ships. Ironically Enhancement is longer than Monarch but holds less guests. (Larger rooms).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse typographical errors.

We have a JS corner aft booked on Enchantment - excited about that and don't want to give it up! I need to go study the deck plans and wait for the "updated" reviews to come in before making a decision. So glad the hard decisions in my life involve which ships to cruise on! LOL

Nice review. I agree with you about the desserts....and I think it is the strangest thing. They LOOK fabulous, and most of them have absoloutely no flavor at all. :rolleyes::D

I have such a high expectation based on the lovely appearance, and then not much of anything taste wise. I don't know how they do it. :D:):D

This is great to know - thanks for sharing your point of view.

From reviews I've read and pictures I've seen, the Radiance Class is definitely on my radar. Unfortunately, I can't find a good time to book one! I wish a summer cruise out of Tampa was on Royal's radar, but not yet... keeping my fingers crossed.

For now, I have Enchantment booked. I'm waiting to read/see the updates she gets this fall before determining if I keep the booking for next June. I know I won't have a bad vacation on her, but I don't want to use my vacation time on a ship I feel I'm "settling" on - make sense?

Michele....yes...makes LOTS of sense. I kind of think it also depends on what you are looking for....if it's an extra type of sailing...say a fill in vacation to put it....then I think you will most likely enjoy it....kind of how Monarch was more a filler for you. If this is your "main" vacation....then I am not all that certain it will live up to your expectations after you have found out how much you enjoy the big ships.

BTW....I am talking about Enchantment above...just to be clear;)

Archived