2 Day Cruise to "nowhere" from Norfolk Va

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:26 AM.
#1
Virginia
13 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
Hello All! I've done some searching on these forums as well as on Carnival's website and I must be looking in the wrong places or searching under the wrong descritpions as I am having a hard time finding out details. My Husband, brother,Sister In Law & myself have all recently booked a 2 day cruise to nowhere from Norfolk Va in May 2013 on the Carnival Glory. Our first cruise was this past oct - Royal Caribbean 7 days and our next "major" cruise is May 2014 for 7 days also on Royal Caribbean. We did however want to try out Carnival, expecially since we all live here in Norfolk, Va and they do have various cruises that depart from here. What I'm having a hard time with is getting an ideal of what types of entertainemnt (shows etc) are on the ship for this cruise. The Royal Caribbean website is a lot easier to navigiate for what's available and what to expect. so I feel a little lost..

Anyone who's been on one of these want to give us some tips/mini reviews etc? Obviously, since we live in Norfolk, we don't need to worry about transportation and hotels night before etc etc but any other tips or knowledge you care to share, we will appreciate it! Thank you!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Me, DH, DS#1 (12) DS#2 (9)

Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas for a 7 day Eastern Caribbean Cruise. Oct 2013 (our first cruise & we are HOOKED )

Carnival Glory - 2 day Cruise to Nowhere (Norfolk, Va) May 2014

Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas / 7 day Western Caribbean Cruise May 2014
#2
North Carolina
2,132 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
I've never been on a CTN...I don't imagine there is a lot of entertainment on a "booze cruise" like this. I don't know if a 2 day CTN on Carnival will be a fair comparison to a weeklong cruise on RCI. We've sailed both, and find there is much more difference among ships within a mass market cruiseline than there is between the major cruiselines themselves.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#3
VA
11,232 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
We live here too and are going on the 5 day cruise to the Bahamas May 19. I just can't justify the price for 2 nights even living 20 minutes away. By the time you unpack it's time to pack again. I've never done a cruise less than 6 days, normally do 7. 2 just seems like a teaser. Maybe you can add on the 5 day. That would be worth it IMHO.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Conquest 12/2003, 1/2014
Carnival Valor 1/2005
Carnival Liberty 12/2007
Carnival Glory 5/2013, 10/2013, 5/2014, 10/2014, 5/2015, 12/2015, 2/2016, 10/2016
Celebrity Solstice 12/2008, 12/2009
Celebrity Eclipse 12/2010, 12/2011
Celebrity Reflection 12/2012


If you have any questions, please contact me at firemanbobswife at ymail dot com. I'm always glad to help!
#4
Joppa,Md,USA/Clermont,Fl,USA
1,414 Posts
Joined May 2000
We have been on many of them when we used to live in Baltimore. The cruise activities are the same as they would be on a longer cruise. You will have the same meals and the shows. When we used to go the price was alot cheaper..one was 99 dollars and all you can drink..great 2 days! I agree I think the price is much to high for these now. Also if you are trying to judge a cruise line a 2 day ctn is not the best to use. Everything is very rushed and the service can not be comparable to a longer cruise. Getting everyone on and off and settled in 2 days is difficult. So just remember to cut some slack for the staff. Cindy
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Proud Member of the Whale Tail Club
Unofficial Vice President of Piano Bar Singers


Cindy&Marty
Calm seas and a gentle breeze
Cruise Total= 39 and not Diamond
Upcoming cruise.. Carnival Victory October 2015...Carnival Breeze Piano Bar-Barians Cruise January 2016....Carnival Fantasy April 2016...Carnival Vista January 2017... Carnival Paradise-The Dream Cruise-Carnival Breeze,Carnival Ecstasy, Celebrity Millenium-Celebrity Century-Carnival Freedom-Carnival Splendor-Imaginationx4-Carnival Valor-Sovereign of the Seas-Fantasy x3-Fascination x4-Carnival Liberty-Inspiration x2-Caribbean Princess-Sensation x4-Carnival Victory x3-Carnival Legend x2-Carnival Spiritx2-Carnival Destiny x3-Carnival Triumph-Carnival Mardi Gras
#5
The EMPIRE State
24,693 Posts
Joined Jun 2000
Originally posted by bsjcb2000
Hello All! I've done some searching on these forums as well as on Carnival's website and I must be looking in the wrong places or searching under the wrong descritpions as I am having a hard time finding out details. My Husband, brother,Sister In Law & myself have all recently booked a 2 day cruise to nowhere from Norfolk Va in May 2013 on the Carnival Glory. Our first cruise was this past oct - Royal Caribbean 7 days and our next "major" cruise is May 2014 for 7 days also on Royal Caribbean. We did however want to try out Carnival, expecially since we all live here in Norfolk, Va and they do have various cruises that depart from here. What I'm having a hard time with is getting an ideal of what types of entertainemnt (shows etc) are on the ship for this cruise. The Royal Caribbean website is a lot easier to navigiate for what's available and what to expect. so I feel a little lost..

Anyone who's been on one of these want to give us some tips/mini reviews etc? Obviously, since we live in Norfolk, we don't need to worry about transportation and hotels night before etc etc but any other tips or knowledge you care to share, we will appreciate it! Thank you!
We did a 2 day CTN out of NY a little over 10 years ago. There were SO many activities going on,it was hard to pick out what we wanted to do. Elegant night was night two, and everyone looked fine.

ANd as fast as we got on, we were getting off.
#6
Virginia
10,466 Posts
Joined Feb 2003
This 2 day CTN will not really give you an idea of a longer Carnival cruise in my opinion. I have never done one because they have a reputation of being one long drinking party plus they are very overpriced.

I am a Diamond with Royal Carribbean and I have enjoyed all 5 of my Carnival cruises but they have all been 6 or 7 day cruises.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past cruises: 25 total

Royal Carribbean, Carnival, Princess and Holland America

PLUS!
Crown and Anchor Diamond Plus Member








#7
The EMPIRE State
24,693 Posts
Joined Jun 2000
Originally posted by dixieva
This 2 day CTN will not really give you an idea of a longer Carnival cruise in my opinion. I have never done one because they have a reputation of being one long drinking party plus they are very overpriced.
.
Having been on one, I didn't experience this. But yes they are overpriced, but cheaper than two nights in NYC.
#8
Northern Virginia
390 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
Originally posted by MrPete
Having been on one, I didn't experience this. But yes they are overpriced, but cheaper than two nights in NYC.
Agreed. My husband and I did the CTN from Norfolk in October 2011. We found there were a lot of couples on board looking for a quick getaway from the kids. There was a formal night and entertainment. The ship sailed out into warmer waters and we enjoyed some time on deck. I didn't see any boozing but maybe I didn't hang out in the right places for that.
#9
Virginia
13 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
Thanks for your responses

Yes, we know it's a short cruise & no, we don't plan to compare it to our last cruise. Mostly it came about as my husband & I and my brother & his wife were talking about getting away for the weekend just the adults and just the 4 of us. We've been looking into various places to rent/stay at and this cruise ended up being pefect for us... just a weekend thing, we don't have to drive 4 or more hours to get to it (my house is less than 5 min from the port), and for the 4 of us to go, it's cheaper than the 4 of us to rent a house or really nice hotel somewhere, pay to get there, pay to "do" something (like shows or other activities) and our food costs. for us, it seems ideal, however, YMMV.

Having never sailed carnival before, we would (and do) appreciate any tips from "veteran carnival sailors"

Thanks Again!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Me, DH, DS#1 (12) DS#2 (9)

Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas for a 7 day Eastern Caribbean Cruise. Oct 2013 (our first cruise & we are HOOKED )

Carnival Glory - 2 day Cruise to Nowhere (Norfolk, Va) May 2014

Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas / 7 day Western Caribbean Cruise May 2014
#10
Pennsylvania
1,509 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by Jen_G
Agreed. My husband and I did the CTN from Norfolk in October 2011. We found there were a lot of couples on board looking for a quick getaway from the kids. There was a formal night and entertainment. The ship sailed out into warmer waters and we enjoyed some time on deck. I didn't see any boozing but maybe I didn't hang out in the right places for that.
Jen, we're thinking of adding a 2 day out of Norfolk onto our already booked 5 day in October. I have never been on a CTN--you've helped answer my question about if they head to warmer waters. Thank you. That's kind of making me want to do it now. I really am amazed at the prices for the 2 day, though. It's pricier than some 5 days out of Charleston or Jax.
#11
Virginia
176 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
We are taking our first CTN this May and although I keep hearing that the price is high, we spent more than this on a weekend getaway to an inn near Montpelier in Orange, VA. For the price, we get a lodging, food, entertainment and some sun. AND, there's no airfare involved. We're looking forward to it.
#12
Maryland
383 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Hi Policecruiser!

As you already know (from the roll call), My DH and I will be on the same cruise! My CTN in November had a lot to do...shows (musical and comedy), trivia contests, bingo, etc. It did not seem like a "booze cruise" at all, just a shorter version of the full length cruises I have been on. My good friend went on the CTN from Norfolk with her DH last October, and said it was a lot of couples and groups of friends getting away for the weekend, some families as well. She had a fantastic time.

I totally agree with you about the cost not being too bad compared to other weekend getaway options. When you take into account hotel, food, and entertainment, the cost of the cruise is the same as or even better than comparable options.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Regal Princess, Alaska, June 13, 1993
Carnival Fantasy, Bermuda, June 16, 2011
Disney Dream, Bahamas, August 10, 2012
Carnival Pride, Cruise to Nowhere, November 2, 2012
Carnival Glory, Cruise to Nowhere, May 31, 2013
Carnival Glory, Canada, June 16, 2013
Carnival Freedom, Caribbean, December 9, 2013
Carnival Fantasy, Bahamas, May 31, 2014
Grandeur Of the Seas, Bahamas, January 16, 2016




#13
Pennsylvania
1,509 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by moobear67
Hi Policecruiser!

As you already know (from the roll call), My DH and I will be on the same cruise! My CTN in November had a lot to do...shows (musical and comedy), trivia contests, bingo, etc. It did not seem like a "booze cruise" at all, just a shorter version of the full length cruises I have been on. My good friend went on the CTN from Norfolk with her DH last October, and said it was a lot of couples and groups of friends getting away for the weekend, some families as well. She had a fantastic time.

I totally agree with you about the cost not being too bad compared to other weekend getaway options. When you take into account hotel, food, and entertainment, the cost of the cruise is the same as or even better than comparable options.
PoliceCruiser and MooBear......after reading your posts, I decided it was time to try a CTN and booked it yesterday. We are doing the October 2day out of Norfok--plus, it turned into a B2B for us since we were already booked on the following 5day. When you return from your May CTN out of Norfolk, let us know how it was. Have a great time and thanks in advance.
#14
U.S.
5,407 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by mosel
We have been on many of them when we used to live in Baltimore. The cruise activities are the same as they would be on a longer cruise. You will have the same meals and the shows. When we used to go the price was alot cheaper..one was 99 dollars and all you can drink..great 2 days! I agree I think the price is much to high for these now. Also if you are trying to judge a cruise line a 2 day ctn is not the best to use. Everything is very rushed and the service can not be comparable to a longer cruise. Getting everyone on and off and settled in 2 days is difficult. So just remember to cut some slack for the staff. Cindy
I would add to this that you won't typically see the same crowd on a 2 day cruise that you see on longer cruises, so I wouldn't judge Carnival overall based on a 2 day cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
38 cruises and counting.....

It was me. I let the dogs out.
#15
Richmond, VA
1,701 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
My wife and I were considering one of these in May, but right now it's $400pp for an inside cabin.

Hoping CCL has one of those after final payment sales trying to fill the ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future Cruises:
NCL Epic - Western Mediterranean - September 7, 2016

Past Cruises:
NCL Pride of America - Hawaiian Islands - January 28, 2012
NCL Sky - Bahamas - January 21, 2013
Carnival Glory - Nowhere - May 24, 2013
NCL Pearl - Alaska - September 22, 2013
Carnival Inspiration - Baja Mexico - November 9, 2015
#16
phila, pa
51,754 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
a 2 day cruise to nowhere will be nothing like a regular longer cruise.

I really hope you dont think that a regular carnival cruise will be anything like that,

I have sailed 3 CTN. But for the prices I can go somewhere. Even the cruise to canada out of ny or cheaper per day.
--anyways

your cruise to nowhere-- you will be automatically charged tips with your final payment.

there will be no porters and you have to carry on and off your stuff.

there will be a "formal " night.

there will be two specialty shows.

you will have comedians on each night.

the bars will be hopping.

The cruise to nowhere will sell out. MANY first time cruisers book these cruises just to try it out to see if its for them.
Cruiselines lose a lot of business with theese
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next up-- Disney WOrld Dec 5, 2016 Carnival Vista- February 2017 Disney WOrld May 7, 2017 Disney World 8/17

. o ..
o . o o.o
...oo
__[]__
__|_o_o_o\__
""""""""""/
. .. . /
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
#17
Southern Maryland
4,303 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Not really a formal night but they serve the formal night menu, we got lobster on the Pride cruise to no where. I think it is the same fun times as the formal night on a longer cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas 10/2016
Disney Fantasy 11/2014
Carnival Dream Eastern Caribbean 11/2013
Carnival Glory CruisetoNowhere 5/2013
Carnival Paradise Western Caribbean 4/2013
Carnival Breeze Exotic Caribbean 1/2013
Carnival Pride CruisetoNowhere 11/2012
Carnival Spirit Alaska 5/2012
Carnival Pride Bermuda 11/2011
Carnival Triumph Canada 6/2009
HAL Zaandam E. Caribbean 3/2005
Carnival Sensation E. Caribbean 7/1998
Carnival Celebration W. Caribbean 12/1996
SS Lurline Hawaii to LA
#18
phila, pa
51,754 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
http://zydecocruiser.net/Carnival-Ba...r/Bar_menu.pdf
there is the bar menu


the shows we had in january was Divas and Motor City
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next up-- Disney WOrld Dec 5, 2016 Carnival Vista- February 2017 Disney WOrld May 7, 2017 Disney World 8/17

. o ..
o . o o.o
...oo
__[]__
__|_o_o_o\__
""""""""""/
. .. . /
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
#19
phila, pa
51,754 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
http://zydecocruiser.net/Carnival-Ba...r/Bar_menu.pdf
there is the bar menu

where are you finding a CTN for May 2014?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next up-- Disney WOrld Dec 5, 2016 Carnival Vista- February 2017 Disney WOrld May 7, 2017 Disney World 8/17

. o ..
o . o o.o
...oo
__[]__
__|_o_o_o\__
""""""""""/
. .. . /
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
#20
WV
930 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
We just booked the May 24th CTN last week during the save big sale. I've been wondering about the comedy shows and the shows in the main theater. I wonder if they will do the Hasbro the Game show activities or just the singing and dancing shows. I would actually prefer to see Hasbro over the other shows.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature






Past Cruises:

Carnival Sunshine 5/2/2014- 8 day, Carnival Fascination 12/5/2013- 4 day (1st solo!), Carnival Pride 9/29/2013 7 day, Carnival Glory 5/24/2013- CTN, Carnival Legend 1/27/2013- 7 day, Carnival Fascination 11/24/2012- 5 day My review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...al+fascination, Carnival Inspiration 1/24/2011- 5 day