Crusing to Bermuda in May

missy428

Have you been to Bermuda in May? What was the weather like? Was it warm enough to swim in the ocean? When in May did you go?

Too cold for me but there have been people swimming when I have been to Bermuda in May. Usually they were 30 years younger than me. Also in May have to watch out for Jelly Fish. I don't plan to go to Bermuda in May in the future because I am a beach person.

Too cold for me but there have been people swimming when I have been to Bermuda in May. Usually they were 30 years younger than me. Also in May have to watch out for Jelly Fish. I don't plan to go to Bermuda in May in the future because I am a beach person.

I am too and I'm dying to go to Bermuda but the difference in price between may and June/July is a lot, I might have to save that cruise for later in life when I'm a bit older and free of student loans :-/ last time I went I was the 4th person in my grandma's balcony cabin so I was free (I think, grandmas work in mysterious ways) and it was such a beautiful island

We were there the second week of May last year...the weather was gorgeous. Not too hot, low humidity. We found it easy to do a LOT of walking as a result.

We are not the type to have a beach day, but we did visit both Horseshoe Bay and Tobacco Bay. We foundtne water a bit cool...OK for wading but we wouldn't swim in it.

I am too and I'm dying to go to Bermuda but the difference in price between may and June/July is a lot, I might have to save that cruise for later in life when I'm a bit older and free of student loans :-/ last time I went I was the 4th person in my grandma's balcony cabin so I was free (I think, grandmas work in mysterious ways) and it was such a beautiful island

I agree with everyone. May...the beach may be nice, but the water is really chilly. We have even been there twice in June and still not warm.

Have you considered September? MAJOR price drops and the water is as warm as the Caribbean. Gorgeous....in September.

I have done a land vacation in Bermuda in late August, really hot. I have cruised there in beginning of May, we had rainy and windy weather the whole time, not pouring rain, but enough to make it not so pleasant. I have gone twice in October and both times lucked out with beautiful weather. Warm water, sunny days. You might want to think about Oct, of course you never really know how it will be. THere are some good prices on the Oct Bermuda cruises on the Explorer you might want to check out. :)

I agree with everyone. May...the beach may be nice, but the water is really chilly. We have even been there twice in June and still not warm.

Have you considered September? MAJOR price drops and the water is as warm as the Caribbean. Gorgeous....in September.

That's a good idea, maybe if I do the first week after Labor Day I can avoid hurricane season

That's a good idea, maybe if I do the first week after Labor Day I can avoid hurricane season

The only way to avoid official hurricane season is to go after November 1.

Sadly, September and early October are prime time for hurricanes. That's why the prices go down so much.

Sadly, September and early October are prime time for hurricanes. That's why the prices go down so much.

Boooo :( it seems as though their weather is similar to ours in which case November will be "cold" too :( I guess I'll wait a few years, it'll be like a congrats on getting out if student debt trip

My DD and I went to Bermuda two years ago on the Oct. 30th sailing out of NYC. The day before we left, we had a freak snow storm and drove through 10 inches of heavy wet snow to get to Albany to pick up our motorcoach into NYC. The sail away was cold but Bermuda was wonderful. The water was still warm for swimming and the humidity was down. It was the last sailing of the year to Bermuda and the cabins were under $400 for each person. The whole trip for the two of us cost less then $1400 once the port fees and gratutities were added on. It was a wonderful time to travel. Life is short. Eat your dessert first. If you can get away for a vacation, do it now. Those student loan payments go on for several years.

My DD and I went to Bermuda two years ago on the Oct. 30th sailing out of NYC. The day before we left, we had a freak snow storm and drove through 10 inches of heavy wet snow to get to Albany to pick up our motorcoach into NYC. The sail away was cold but Bermuda was wonderful. The water was still warm for swimming and the humidity was down. It was the last sailing of the year to Bermuda and the cabins were under $400 for each person. The whole trip for the two of us cost less then $1400 once the port fees and gratutities were added on. It was a wonderful time to travel. Life is short. Eat your dessert first. If you can get away for a vacation, do it now. Those student loan payments go on for several years.

Lol you're not kidding about that its crazy, some of my friends owe enough to support a family of 4 for years...

I will try and shoot for the fall and keep my fingers crossed no hurricanes pass through

The hurricane season officially runs from 6/1 to 11/31 for the eastern seaboard. The only way not to be in hurricane season would be to cruise to Bermuda in April or May.

The peak season is from 8/1 to 10/1 with the worst from 8/15 to 9/15

SBtS

Boooo :( it seems as though their weather is similar to ours in which case November will be "cold" too :( I guess I'll wait a few years, it'll be like a congrats on getting out if student debt trip

We go EVERY September. Have never hit a hurricane. Give it some thought. It is wonderful.

Have you been to Bermuda in May? What was the weather like? Was it warm enough to swim in the ocean? When in May did you go?

We cruised to Bermuda the first week of may ~ 2012 . It was beautiful. It was 75 degrees plus every day. People were swimming and snorkeling . It wasnt hot so we walked ALOT which was GREAT ! It rained the morning we left ... we were walking around Hamilton , not prepared and soaking wet ... but it was warm so even that was fun ! We liked May so much that we are going again this year. Fingers crossed we luck out again.

• 1 month later...

I have a slightly different question pertaining to this topic. I think I have an idea of typical late-May Bermuda weather, but what about the typical weather for the day or two at sea when you are en route to the island? We leave out of NYC on 5/19, and our intention is (assuming it isn't raining of course) to spend lots of time sunning on deck during the day, as we typically do on our cruises. But we've never sailed on these waters before, so I'm wondering what temps we might be looking at typically?

I have a slightly different question pertaining to this topic. I think I have an idea of typical late-May Bermuda weather, but what about the typical weather for the day or two at sea when you are en route to the island? We leave out of NYC on 5/19, and our intention is (assuming it isn't raining of course) to spend lots of time sunning on deck during the day, as we typically do on our cruises. But we've never sailed on these waters before, so I'm wondering what temps we might be looking at typically?

Unless there is a heat wave it will be chilly you first day out and last day returning. May is not generally a good time for sunning on deck to and from Bermuda. You might not even be sunning in Bermuda.....

Weather in Bermuda and on the way to and from are really unpredictable. We made two one day stops there in July and August with great weather there, but rough sailings to and from. Then we had a cruise to Bermuda in July, with very calm and sunny sailing, but a lot of rain over there. I would go there again with open mind and no specific plans. We had fun time there even during not so good weather. So much to see, beautiful towns, caves, forts.

Unless there is a heat wave it will be chilly you first day out and last day returning. May is not generally a good time for sunning on deck to and from Bermuda. You might not even be sunning in Bermuda.....

Ugh, that's not encouraging, to put it mildly. And here I thought I did my homework for this cruise. I need to pray for a weather miracle, otherwise I'll never ever hear the end of it from my wife. I really hope I didn't make a huge mistake with this cruise...:(

The weather and the seas to and from are rather unpredictable. We've gone several times in May (and we're going next week on the Summit") Usually it is nice and comfortable to be out on deck pretty much all day but sometimes it's almost too hot and sometimes it's more comfortable to be sitting out in a sweatshirt and long trousers. As we're used to the New England/NY/NJ shore water temps in the summer, the water in May in Bermuda is totally swimmable for us.

The weather and the seas to and from are rather unpredictable. We've gone several times in May (and we're going next week on the Summit") Usually it is nice and comfortable to be out on deck pretty much all day but sometimes it's almost too hot and sometimes it's more comfortable to be sitting out in a sweatshirt and long trousers. As we're used to the New England/NY/NJ shore water temps in the summer, the water in May in Bermuda is totally swimmable for us.

Yep I'm originally from CT, and used to swim on CT and RI beaches in the summer, which are a whole lot colder (even at their warmest) than Bermuda's in May. And more recently we've been spending time on the Delaware beaches in June, which are also usually never above 65 that time of year. So I'm sure the water will be very nice, as the current temp is 69 which again is warmer than Delaware beaches in June. I'm just concerned about air temps and being able to lay out in the sun on beaches. But based upon what I'm hearing I beginning to think I made the wrong (and very expensive) choice for this particular cruise, or at least the time of year for it.

Archived