couple missing from cruise ship in sydney

seasooze

Carnival Spirit arrived in Sydney this morning. Two passengers were unaccounted for and have not been found. Spirit sailed from Noumea to Sydney and no one was missed until arrival after several days at sea. Not much news yet.

Sue

It's odd that it says the CCTV footage showed the pair had "gone overboard" at 8:50pm on Wednesday.

So are we to assume they jumped? I've never been on board this ship but I think it would be safe to say that it's unlikely to have been an accident.

Did their balcony fail?

I don't like their chances of being found. Very sad for the family that was travelling with them. I hope Carnival are able to give them some idea of what happened from the footage.

Carol

Sounds like another booze cruise..

Why would a 26 and 30 yr old jump otherwise?

I do not think you should make that assumption without any facts.

Lets hope they are found.

I do not think you should make that assumption without any facts.

Lets hope they are found.

No assumption..I said.."sounds like."

It was at least 12 hrs from them going over, to being checked on the video..so I doubt it., in the dark, no lifejackets, many many miles from anything...cold water..sharks..

I feel for their family, no matter if suicide, or alcohol , or drug related.

No assumption..I said.."sounds like."

It was at least 12 hrs from them going over, to being checked on the video..so I doubt it., in the dark, no lifejackets, many many miles from anything...cold water..sharks..

I feel for their family, no matter if suicide, or alcohol , or drug related.

What is the difference between "Sounds like" and assumption?

What you are saying "sounds like" they were drunk on a drunken Cruise.

Why would two drunk people jump from a Ship anyway?

Its hardly the time to say that, lets hope there is a miracle and they are found.

because they can....

this article is interesting..

Cruise ship accidents prompt questions: How do people fall off? And why?

When no one is around to witness a passenger descend from a floating city and disappear into the darkness, we're left to our assumptions.

Since 2000, the highest number of incidents reported came in 2006, when 22 people went overboard. But 12 million people cruised that year. That means roughly one of every 545,454 people who cruised in 2006 wound up in the drink. Not an astonishing safety hazard.

But if you consider that one of those reports was about a family with four children who returned from vacation with only three...

Or that one was about a man who returned from a Christmas cruise without his wife...

How do you fall off a cruise ship?

"It is virtually impossible for a guest to simply fall off a cruise ship," says Carnival Cruise Lines spokesman Vance Gulliksen in an e-mail.

Practically, falling overboard is a challenge. It would involve climbing or jumping or the right kind of momentum.

Carnival Cruise Lines' ships have 44-inch high railings and warning signs, says Gulliksen. They have uniformed security patrolling 24 hours a day.

Even cruise critics agree it's not easy. "Nine times out of 10, the person did something dumb," said Charles Lipcon, a Miami attorney and author of Unsafe on the High Seas: Your Guide to a Safer Cruise.

Lipcon has litigated a few where people have fallen overboard, including one in which a woman went missing and her purse was found on the deck and a security camera had been covered.

"They're very difficult cases," he said. "You need to prove that the cruise lines have violated some duty. And normally they don't. You can't keep people from doing dumb things. The ships aren't made out of rubber."

There are trends in these incidents.

Some are suicides. Couples fight, and then one jumps in an I'll-show-you kind of way. Some elderly couples have decided to leave the world together, a last hurrah on the high seas.

Alcohol is fuel. Critics say alcohol sales are a big moneymaker for cruise lines, so they have a tendency to overserve.

"It's drink and drink and drink," says Charles Harris, former chief of security for Carnival who has become an outspoken critic of cruise industry secrecy.

"We'll take your money, and if you fall overboard, we don't worry about it." (Carnival's Gulliksen says employees are trained to refuse service to intoxicated guests.)

Then there are the mysteries.

No notes. No suicidal tendencies. No heavy intoxication.

They fall or jump or stumble or are pushed, and no one is there to see, and the Coast Guard searches and the news breaks and we try to solve the puzzle on steadier shores.

because they can....

this article is interesting..

Cruise ship accidents prompt questions: How do people fall off? And why?

When no one is around to witness a passenger descend from a floating city and disappear into the darkness, we're left to our assumptions.

Since 2000, the highest number of incidents reported came in 2006, when 22 people went overboard. But 12 million people cruised that year. That means roughly one of every 545,454 people who cruised in 2006 wound up in the drink. Not an astonishing safety hazard.

But if you consider that one of those reports was about a family with four children who returned from vacation with only three...

Or that one was about a man who returned from a Christmas cruise without his wife...

How do you fall off a cruise ship?

"It is virtually impossible for a guest to simply fall off a cruise ship," says Carnival Cruise Lines spokesman Vance Gulliksen in an e-mail.

Practically, falling overboard is a challenge. It would involve climbing or jumping or the right kind of momentum.

Carnival Cruise Lines' ships have 44-inch high railings and warning signs, says Gulliksen. They have uniformed security patrolling 24 hours a day.

Even cruise critics agree it's not easy. "Nine times out of 10, the person did something dumb," said Charles Lipcon, a Miami attorney and author of Unsafe on the High Seas: Your Guide to a Safer Cruise.

Lipcon has litigated a few where people have fallen overboard, including one in which a woman went missing and her purse was found on the deck and a security camera had been covered.

"They're very difficult cases," he said. "You need to prove that the cruise lines have violated some duty. And normally they don't. You can't keep people from doing dumb things. The ships aren't made out of rubber."

There are trends in these incidents.

Some are suicides. Couples fight, and then one jumps in an I'll-show-you kind of way. Some elderly couples have decided to leave the world together, a last hurrah on the high seas.

Alcohol is fuel. Critics say alcohol sales are a big moneymaker for cruise lines, so they have a tendency to overserve.

"It's drink and drink and drink," says Charles Harris, former chief of security for Carnival who has become an outspoken critic of cruise industry secrecy.

"We'll take your money, and if you fall overboard, we don't worry about it." (Carnival's Gulliksen says employees are trained to refuse service to intoxicated guests.)

Then there are the mysteries.

No notes. No suicidal tendencies. No heavy intoxication.

They fall or jump or stumble or are pushed, and no one is there to see, and the Coast Guard searches and the news breaks and we try to solve the puzzle on steadier shores.

Enough said...

My thoughts go out to their families and I hope they are found.

Here's one lucky girl, who lived to tell the tale( her reason for "falling " overboard WAS alcohol)..she is a rarity in the fact they took and hr and a half to turn around to find her.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1840307

Yep, and lets hope if this couple is found they don't SUE Carnival for saving their lives! :rolleyes:

What you are saying "sounds like" they were drunk on a drunken Cruise.

Mikey22, it Seems like one of your own posts on another thread has answered the question

See below..

There was a large group of young men on the Pacific Dawn last year that seemed to be permanently drunk.

One large buffoon even had the word "Drunk" printed on his hat.

As we returned to the Ship in Noumea they were staggering off screaming obscenities, it made feel embarrassed that they were my fellow Aussies.

This is why we dont do Sth Pacific cruises...its such a shame, but it is because of the good old Aussies and their behaviour when drunk.

It is something we dont ever see in other areas of the world on a cruise, I am sure its there, just not so obvious as the usual Aussie cruise haunts.

Aussies do have a bad reputation, another reason why we havent been to Bali to join the sleeveless T-shirt and thong brigade..:rolleyes:

The report just now on the TODAY show hinted that one may have fallen or jumped and the other jumped in to save them. No life jackets were reported missing so their chances of survival are not good.

Mikey22, it Seems like one of your own posts on another thread has answered the question

See below..

This is why we dont do Sth Pacific cruises...its such a shame, but it is because of the good old Aussies and their behaviour when drunk.

It is something we dont ever see in other areas of the world on a cruise, I am sure its there, just not so obvious as the usual Aussie cruise haunts.

Aussies do have a bad reputation, another reason why we havent been to Bali to join the sleeveless T-shirt and thong brigade..:rolleyes:

I am sorry but when you do not know the facts or have any idea what happened I think your comments are out of place, callous and untimely.

Two poor buggers are lost at Sea with their families praying for them to be found.

I do not want to comment anymore on this thread, my thoughts are with their families.

See below..

This is why we dont do Sth Pacific cruises...its such a shame,

but it is because of the good old Aussies and their behaviour when drunk.

It is something we dont ever see in other areas of the world on a cruise,

I am sure its there, just not so obvious as the usual Aussie cruise haunts.

Aussies do have a bad reputation, another reason why we havent been to Bali

to join the sleeveless T-shirt and thong brigade..:rolleyes:

Nice to see such open honest opinion...this time about drunken Aussies..

..no big deal..they are what they are, no?

But don't you dare comment negatively about lower-class Puerto Ricans

(not the well-bred ones,mind you) -who take advantage of Fill-The-Ship rates

and who then behave in decidedly un-refined manner when they're on board .

Yew can't touch that! :D

So far, this morning, I have heard the "you're STILL going to cruise Carnival this summer???" several times. Sigh.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and I truly hope that they will be found alive.

So far, this morning, I have heard the "you're STILL going to cruise Carnival this summer???" several times. Sigh.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and I truly hope that they will be found alive.

I am sorry, but this is just stupid. It isn't like Carnival tossed the people into the sea.

Funny here is the balcony

959638-carnival-spirit.jpg

Two police officers check for fingerprints on a balcony of the Carnival Spirit / Pic: AFP Source: The Daily Telegraph

But the article says this

Cruise ship staff searched for the pair before alerting police two hours later at 11.30am. CCTV footage revealed they had fallen from the mid-deck, which is lined by a 2.5m-tall barricade, at 8.50pm.

2.5 meters is over 7'?

I am sorry, but this is just stupid. It isn't like Carnival tossed the people into the sea.

I went looking for the danged "Like" button again!

I just booked a short CCL cruise R/T from Boston to Canada next month, and will be sailing on Sunshine in October. At the very least, I get "ooooh!" or some snarky remark about packing for camping, or "well, no wonder it was such a good price".

Oy.

I'm not optimistic for this couple, but I feel for their families.

Yes, it seems like stuff has been happening more on Carnival ships, but that's because there ARE more Carnival ships.

I find it interesting that there was nothing in the national news about the passenger death March 24 on the Coral Princess. The 55 year old woman jumped overboard. They did recover her body a few hours later. Maybe because Carnival has been in the news fairly often recently, the media focuses on them more. I feel sorry for the family involved and also for the passengers on that cruise. I know that on the Coral Princess the passenger's death cast a somber shadow over the rest of the cruise.

Archived