The Dream and the Sewage Smell

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:35 PM.
Georgia
84 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
We just got off the Dream this morning and for the most part we had a wonderful time. The staff was WONDERFUL, the food was ok and the ship was maintained very well. BUT, trust me when I tell you, the sewage smell is REAL!! We were on the Vista deck and you could smell sewage at the aft of the ship. It was worst in our room. I am not sure how the ship is designed, but on Thursday, our bathroom floor was full of water and bleach. Once we notified the steward, he qucikly came, mopped the floor and apologized. DH and I could not figure what was wrong, but as the day went on, we figured that the room steward must have used it to try to combat the smell. By this morning, the stench was so bad my nostrils were burning (we had air freshner and a Renuzit). Does anyone know the cause of the stench?
2,465 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
That's is an on going problem with the Dream. At first it was stated on these boards the problem was fixed. Who ever stated that must have worked for Carnival. I agree the smell was there , both times I cruised her
Ottawa
557 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Oh my...I would be gagging! So, if I may, is this problem only on the Dream? Or is it an issue with this class of ship? I'm an aft cabin gal and I would be totally bummed if I was smelling that! I've never encountered it (mainly sail Conquest class)
2,465 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Originally posted by Josher61
Oh my...I would be gagging! So, if I may, is this problem only on the Dream? Or is it an issue with this class of ship? I'm an aft cabin gal and I would be totally bummed if I was smelling that! I've never encountered it (mainly sail Conquest class)
No problems with the Breeze as for sewage smells.
The Dream has more of a sewage smell than any in carnivals fleet.
Don't know why they cant seem to get that right on the Dream.
alabama
362 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Never had a sewage smell, did have a strong marine paint smell once. Called guest services and they put an ion (think that's what it was called) machine in the room for 30 minutes and the smell was gone.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CARNIVAL PLATINUM
St. Cloud, Fl
10,442 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Sounds more like an isolated incident specific to that area. In the past, there have been complaints of a "passing" smell here and there, but not as specific as you describe.
Virginia
695 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
I just got off the Breeze today and may I just have a sensitive nose but that sewage smell was very strong many, many times and not just at the Aft of the ships either. Also many ppl commented whenever we were in a "smell zone." I have never been on the Dream so I couldn't compare the 2 but I can tell you that I've been on the Destiny and Triumph once each and the Freedom twice and I had never smelled any sewage smells at all on those ships. It was very strong and prevalent on the Breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Cruise Countdown | I'm sailing to the Caribbean on 07/03/2017 aboard the Carnival Victory! Visit Carnival.com to see all Caribbean cruises.

My Cruise Countdown | I'm sailing to the Caribbean on 07/07/2018 aboard the Carnival Magic! Visit Carnival.com to see all Caribbean cruises.

Carnival Triumph - 12/2004
RCL Monarch of the Seas - 03/2006
Carnival Destiny - 07/2009
Carnival Freedom - 07/2010
Carnival Freedom - 06/2012
Carnival Breeze - 06/2013
Carnival Conquest - 06/2014
Carnival Sunshine - 06/2015
Carnival Conquest - 07/2016
Carnival Victory - 07/2017
Carnival Magic - 07/2018
Virginia
695 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
I just got off the Breeze today and maybe I just have a sensitive nose but that sewage smell was very strong many, many times and not just at the Aft of the ships either. Also many ppl commented whenever we were in a "smell zone." I have never been on the Dream so I couldn't compare the 2 but I can tell you that I've been on the Destiny and Triumph once each and the Freedom twice and I had never smelled any sewage smells at all on those ships. It was very strong and prevalent on the Breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Cruise Countdown | I'm sailing to the Caribbean on 07/03/2017 aboard the Carnival Victory! Visit Carnival.com to see all Caribbean cruises.

My Cruise Countdown | I'm sailing to the Caribbean on 07/07/2018 aboard the Carnival Magic! Visit Carnival.com to see all Caribbean cruises.

Carnival Triumph - 12/2004
RCL Monarch of the Seas - 03/2006
Carnival Destiny - 07/2009
Carnival Freedom - 07/2010
Carnival Freedom - 06/2012
Carnival Breeze - 06/2013
Carnival Conquest - 06/2014
Carnival Sunshine - 06/2015
Carnival Conquest - 07/2016
Carnival Victory - 07/2017
Carnival Magic - 07/2018
Barbados
26,596 Posts
Joined May 2007
Hmmmm. Strange. Wonder why its on that ship and not others with the same design? Seem weird.
We were on Valor two weeks ago, and we smelled The Smell there too
-often in the oddest of places.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

1,224 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
I don't remember a sewage smell on the Dream either. But 1.5 weeks after we got off, there were backup generator problems and some sewage backup that caused them to have to fly back and cancel the next cruise. That was in March. Maybe related?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~Nassau/Castaway
02/13 CCL Dream & WDW ~Nassau/St Thom/St Maart
02/12 CCL Conquest ~Jamaica/G. Cayman/Coz
02/11 CCL Triumph ~Belize/Roatan/Coz
01/07 CCL Holiday ~Costa Maya/Coz
12/02 RCCL Legend OTS ~Hawaii/Kona/Maui/Kuai
6/00 Renaissance ~Barcelona/Malaga/Gibralter/Portugal
99 RCCL Grandeur OTS ~San Juan/ St Thom/St Martin
93 RCCL Sovereign OTS ~San Juan/ St Thom/St Martin
592 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Just off Breeze last week...cabin 8439....sewage smell so bad I had to hold air freshner up to my nose to fall asleep....just seemed to happen at night....I did let the cabin attendant know.....also smelled sewage in various places thru out the ship
Georgia
84 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
We have been on 9 cruises and this is the first one where we have had that problem. Beware if you are in cabin 9352 on the Dream. It may have been an isolated incident, but they really need to look into it.
MA, USA
1,212 Posts
Joined May 2004
I was on the Dream back in 2010, it was still very new. The smell would appear in a hallway occasionally. But it was infrequent and I could guess there would be plenty of people that smelled it and plenty that did not.

One thing I've never had confirmed by others was a horrid rotten smell out on Lido one day. It was maybe only for an hour and it smelled like rotten food, not sewage. My guess, and only a guess, was the ship was dumping garbage waste. Anyone ever notice something like that? Heck, maybe the ship was just passing through some garbage and churned it up.
North Carolina
404 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
We were on the Dream June 8-15. I smelled it only once when I went to deck 2 to walk through since I could not get through on Deck 3. I was pretty bad. Our cabin was on deck 9 so it never got up that far.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mardi Gras - 1988
Holiday - 1989
Something of the Seas - 2007
Valor - 2012
Dream - 2013
Liberty- 2014
Breeze - 2014
Legend - 2016
Ecstasy - 2016
Sunshine - 2016
Queen Mary 2 - 2017
Imagination - 2017
Magic - 2017
Kansas
2,307 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
We have been on several cruises including the dream and there is always the occasional sewage smell. But growing up vacationing in an RV and trailers, it is to be expected. Never bothered me in the least. When you have a self contained system, smells will be there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2016: November 27 - Carnival Vista - Western Caribbean - celebrating life cruise
2016: September 18 - Carnival Breeze Western Caribbean - 2nd annual birthday cruise
2015: September 21 - Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean - Mom & Daughter cruise with my girls, sister & niece (also my B-Day cruise!)
2015: July 18 - Carnival Breeze Eastern Caribbean - cruisin with the in-laws!
2015: March 15 - Carnival Dream Western Caribbean - Spring Break!
2014: July 19 - Carnival Liberty - Exotic Eastern Caribbean ~ the "been here, done that" cruise for just hubby & I
2014: March 16 - Carnival Freedom - Daughter's wedding cruise! Taking the whole family...all 13 of us!
2013: July 27 - Carnival Freedom Southern Caribbean- 10 year Anniversary/Hubby's 50th Birthday celebration cruise!
2013: July 21 - Carnival Freedom Western Caribbean- first B2B!
2011: July 9 - Carnival Dream Western Caribbean-- sail away party on the wrap around balcony baby!
2011: Februry 7 - Elation Western Caribbean -Beat the winter blues cruise!
2009: July 4 - Carnival Liberty Eastern Caribbean-- 40th birthday celebration!
2008: August 4 - RCCL Sovereign of The Seas Bahamas -- Me and my hunny
2008:
February 23 - RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western Caribbean --PiChi trip
2006: October 16 - Ecstasy Western Caribbean--The Bowling Stones! (chick trip)
2006: May 29 - RCCL Majesty of the Sea Bahama's--Brinin' the kids!
2005: July 3 - Carnival Miracle Western Caribbean--Just the two of us!
Rhode Island
8,797 Posts
Joined May 2008
We've experienced it on different ships from different lines but never in our cabin and never continuously.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature