You Decide! Where do you want the new Carnival Vista to be homeported?

Where do you want the new Carnival Vista to be homeported?  

955 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you want the new Carnival Vista to be homeported?

• Barbados
    • Charleston
    • Fort Lauderdale
    • Galveston
    • Jacksonvile
    • Los Angeles
    • Miami
    • New Orleans
    • New York
    • Port Canaveral
    • San Juan
    • Tampa
    • Other (My Choice is Not Listed Here)

I saw that someone posted on JH's fb page today, that they saw in the NY Daily News, Vista will or may {I don't remember which word they used} be home ported in NY.

I did a search on the Daily News website and can't find anything about it.

Has anyone else seen the article?

You'll know if it's not going to NYC once the basic design is revealed. If it doesn't have a retractable dome over a pool like a Conquest, Spirit, or Concordia class ship, then it won't be in NYC. If it looks more like a Dream class ship, then you can bet large sums of money that it won't be homeported in NYC.

You'll know if it's not going to NYC once the basic design is revealed. If it doesn't have a retractable dome over a pool like a Conquest, Spirit, or Concordia class ship, then it won't be in NYC. If it looks more like a Dream class ship, then you can bet large sums of money that it won't be homeported in NYC.

The Dream class ships are not suited for cold climates, that's why they all sail the Caribbean, The only current Carnival ships suitable for colder climates are the Sprit and Splendor classes. The verdict is still out about the Vista though it may be designed to handle cold climates.

Edited by cjknox

The Dream class ships are not suited for cold climates, that's why they all sail the Caribbean, The only current Carnival ships suitable for colder climates are the Sprit and Splendor classes. The verdict is still out about the Vista though it may be designed to handle cold climates.

Exactly. You'll be able to tell if it's not going to New York really easily once the initial design is revealed.

Yes I realize that.

I just wanted to see if anyone else saw the article that the person on JH's fb claims to have seen.

With the Breakaway and Quantum, I think you can bet large sums of money it will be sent to the NYC metro area.

Yep, I think the Splendor is there to "hold the fort down" so to speak against Quantum and Breakaway until Vista gets there.

I can imagine it now: Vista vs Quantum vs Breakaway

Yep, I think the Splendor is there to "hold the fort down" so to speak against Quantum and Breakaway until Vista gets there.

I can imagine it now: Vista vs Quantum vs Breakaway

If the Splendor is the best that Carnival can do to compete against the Breakaway and Quantum they might be in deep doo doo.

Of course they could always just charge $499pp and they'd do better against those 2 ships.

Bill

If the Splendor is the best that Carnival can do to compete against the Breakaway and Quantum they might be in deep doo doo.

Of course they could always just charge $499pp and they'd do better against those 2 ships.

Bill

Not necessarily, there are many factors that go into how successful a cruise ship will be in a certain market. I'm not saying Breakaway and Quantum won't be big competition for Splendor but only time will tell which of the three will come out on top.

Edited by cjknox

Well, it may be nice to get a new ship for our home port for once (don't think that's been the case for a while), and for that matter to be able to try a Carnival megaship without having to stray too far from home. I don't even necessarily think Vista would have to stay year-round, if Carnival went back to a Spirit-class kind of cruise schedule. I guess time will tell!

With the Breakaway and Quantum, I think you can bet large sums of money it will be sent to the NYC metro area.

And don't forget the new Royal Princess which will also be sailing seasonally from NYC...

I think it will eithe go to port Canaveral or Fort Lauderdale. I don't think carnival is interested in competing with ncl and RCI for NYC. If hey where IMHO they would have placed Sunshine there until vista was built. I think it will go to PC or FLL then that will free up either the liberty or freedom to go to charleston to replace the retiring fantasy. John made a comment a week or so ago that maybe one day charleston would get a larger ship. I have no other facts to support all this just my humble opinion and two cents.

...that will free up either the liberty or freedom to go to charleston to replace the retiring fantasy. John made a comment a week or so ago that maybe one day charleston would get a larger ship. I have no other facts to support all this just my humble opinion and two cents.

I also think that Charleston will eventually get a new ship, but I hope that they also upgrade the itineraries. That's the one thing holding me back from sailing from there.

Back in the day, NCL had a 7 night itinerary to Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Key West. Celebrity had alternating 10/11 night Eastern and Western itineraries that sailed pretty deep into the Caribbean.

One can only wish....

It will require better itineraries. And a stack that fits under the VNB.

New Yorkers want better than a Bahamas/Port Canaveral or a Halifax run. Bermuda would fit the bill.

But if the ship happens to be a new innovation, those of us that sail for the ship will be OVER THE MOON.

Carnival sorely lacks and needs a destination ship.

You do not need a retractable roof for cold climates. For the past decade, NCL has been very successfully with sailing year around out of NYC with no roof on their outside decks. Even the new Breakaway does not have one

Bill

Carnival will never play the six flags of the sea game or the unique "items" that NCL does. It is just not their plan.

Carnival has over 2 years before they decide where the vista will go she may stay in Europe or Asia? Who knows i would bet NYC will make a push to have 3 new ships sailing year round

Ncl has a contract with Bremuda is there room for a carnival ship to dock there.. With 2 ncl ships?

It will require better itineraries. And a stack that fits under the VNB.

New Yorkers want better than a Bahamas/Port Canaveral or a Halifax run. Bermuda would fit the bill.

But if the ship happens to be a new innovation, those of us that sail for the ship will be OVER THE MOON.

Carnival sorely lacks and needs a destination ship.

I have not seen you post in a while. Are there any crusie ships that don't fit under the VNB bridge? (I remember that the QM2 was close).

well its been a while sine I cruised out of NY.. but my Bil just sent me some links for dates on ccl out of the city...

based on the rates.. I cant believe they would home port any ship there

sooo cheap ... I think too cheap , probably do better somewhere elso

I doubt they will waste a ship in NY. Better that they put it at a more popular port and move an older ship to NY.

It's not so much a new ship in New York being profitable, its a new ship in New York year round being profitable.