Reviews of Tokyo to Seward?

barabel

This leg of our cruise leaves Tokyo on 3rd May on the Silver Shadow ending in Seward. Can anyone point me to reviews of this journey. I have been browsing the Boards but am getting a little crossed eyed. Perhaps there is an easier way to do a search. Would appreciate any help.

We will already have sailed from Hong Kong to Tokyo. An exiting trip to celebrate my 70th birthday (can't believe I just shared that).

This leg of our cruise leaves Tokyo on 3rd May on the Silver Shadow ending in Seward. Can anyone point me to reviews of this journey. I have been browsing the Boards but am getting a little crossed eyed. Perhaps there is an easier way to do a search. Would appreciate any help.

We will already have sailed from Hong Kong to Tokyo. An exiting trip to celebrate my 70th birthday (can't believe I just shared that).

We will be sharing this cruise with you and would also be interested in any reviews.

We did the cruise in 2011.however it was just after the Japanese tsunami so our cruise began in Incheon.This trip report was done before I was active on cruise critic.But here it is-

http://www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/community/trip-reports-and-trip-photos/i-can-see-russia-my-29754.html

The cruise begins from Post 25.

Following in the august footsteps of Australia's King and Queen of silver exploring, we also did this cruise on the Shadow last year Tokyo>Anchorage>Vancouver.

A pleasant cruise , happy to answer any questions...

last year the atv tour was a disaster.. they got bogged… everyone got a refund I believe.

We went out to the Dascha which was quite pleasant.

PP is a bit of a madhouse with wall to wall traffic.

We ended up waiting half the night for a fuel barge that had been booked for early in the morning.. only in russia...

Thanks, tgh. After reading your post I found a review from someone else on your cruise who also told of that awful tour last year. Then I read a review of the same tour in 2012, which was wonderful because of better weather and no port or refueling problems. I guess we'll be taking our chances.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations for tours and tour operators in Hong Kong? We arrive two days before boarding the Shadow.

We will also be on the Shadow, Hong Kong to Tokyo to Seward, April 19 to May 15. These ports are all new for us, so any advice is appreciated. In Petropavlosk we have booked the Kamchatka Volcanoes by ATV tour. Has anyone done this, and how was it? Thanks.

I did the volcanoes ATV tour in 2012. It was awesome...no getting bogged but it sure was bumpy. Very happy that I did this excursion.

Cheers

Jennifer

We were on the cruise Silver Spectre referenced (Vancouver-Tokyo in September of 2013). One of the best cruises we've ever been on. However, we had perfect weather. Only rain was in Skagway. Mostly sunny and reasonable temperatures. Bright sunny days in Kodiak, Petropavlovsk, and Hakodate. This "re-positioning" cruise in either May or September is SOOOOOOOO weather dependent. Hope you have as good weather as we had.

Greg

There are quite a few reviews posted for this route and the reverse, as mentioned above. Select Member Reviews, Select SS, and then filter on Silver Shadow - there are at least 4 on the first page. Here is the link to the first, most recent

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=246402

I did the reverse cruise (Vancouver - Tokyo 2013), mentioned above by Greg, and it was a wonderful trip. I hope you enjoy it.

Tokyo to Seward

Did this cruise in May 2004 first time Silversea went to Alaska. Interesting trip, waited for Russian sub before leaving Russia, crossing the Bering Sea to Dutch Harbor and on to Kodiak. Found Dutch Harbor very interesting. Visited US Navy Seabees Museum, very interesting lifestyle and school bus drivers had great info send stories. Three days crossing can be a bit rough. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

Many thanks to all the above for their invaluable information, much appreciated.

Only read these forum pages from time to time but I must take this opportunity to thank COL. WES and KEITH whose posts I always find interesting and most informative. Whenever I spot your names I must read.

You have helped so much to make our cruises with Crystal, Regent and Silversea all the more enjoyable so a special thankyou to two passionate cruisers.

barabel, Thank you for your way too gracious kind words, simply our pleasure to give back to cruise critic as others have shared cruise information that have benefited Ida and I during our Silversea & Regent cruises as well. And please call me Wes.

Last year my wife and I did Vancouver to Tokyo. It was a"great" trip"!!!

The highlights for us were Petropavlovsk and Hakodate. The ATV tour was bumpy but "awesome"!!! This ride and seeing the fish market were great excursions.There are 42 volcanoes on the Kamchatka peninsula.