Chops and GT changing menus

Just off NOS last Sunday. New menus are coming, though for our cruise GT was the same as usual. Don't know about Chops as we didn't eat there. However, menus displayed in the DL and CL showed changes that we did not like at all. First, GT's new menu has no filet and no lamb chops. There is a strip steak offered. New Chops menu, now that the fee is $35 pp, has no 10 oz. filet, no crab cake appetizer and no t-bone. There are a number of fish dishes and things such as short ribs. So for more money you get less expensive food!

Just off NOS last Sunday. New menus are coming, though for our cruise GT was the same as usual. Don't know about Chops as we didn't eat there. However, menus displayed in the DL and CL showed changes that we did not like at all. First, GT's new menu has no filet and no lamb chops. There is a strip steak offered. New Chops menu, now that the fee is $35 pp, has no 10 oz. filet, no crab cake appetizer and no t-bone. There are a number of fish dishes and things such as short ribs. So for more money you get less expensive food!

We were also on that sailing. We did not like the new Chop's menu, neither the selections nor the food quality. I said as much on the e-survey. The final nail in the coffin was an upcharge for several of the steaks, in addition to the $35 cover charge. We won't go back.

While we did enjoy Giovanni's Table, I did not notice a menu change. But I try to choose pasta dishes, and I love the Osso Bucco, so I wouldn't have noticed no steak or lamb. I do seem to recall someone at our table ordering lamb. :confused::confused:

We did enjoy Sabor, the new Mexican restaurant. :)

Well that's rotten news. Guess we are going to have to be filling out a bunch of comment cards so they'll back that off and restore it. Have to at least try, they've reversed bad choices before.

travelgoddess1- Haven't run across you guys since Mariner out of Galveston. Hope all is well and good your way!

Well that's rotten news. Guess we are going to have to be filling out a bunch of comment cards so they'll back that off and restore it. Have to at least try, they've reversed bad choices before.

travelgoddess1- Haven't run across you guys since Mariner out of Galveston. Hope all is well and good your way!

What a coincidence, as we just got off Navigator, also out of Galveston! :) I think that Galveston has become the home port for California, lol! (Don't tell the Texans that.) :eek::D

Thanks for the info. You just saved me $70+ by not eating at Chops on our cruise in May! More money to spend on drinks!

We were with 2 other couples, and the feeling was unanimous. Even the new side dishes were lackluster. They have taken a high end steak house and turned it into a mediocre chain restaurant. JMO.

Raising the cover charge while simultaneously upcharging for several entrees was the last straw. :(

GT has changed once before. The menu they have now was not the original. Are you saying they changed it again?

Yes, it appears that Royal is experimenting with menu changes to Chops and Giovanni's on Navigator. I've not heard of any other ships making changes, yet.

Yes, it appears that Royal is experimenting with menu changes to Chops and Giovanni's on Navigator. I've not heard of any other ships making changes, yet.

We miss the fontina baked appetizer on the original menu... So good!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A passenger on Navigator said that the new menu in Chop's is also in effect on Oasis. They had been on in December.

The "old" menu was used in GT's on our cruise, but the "new" one was displayed in the DL. We cruise NOS again May 4, and I will see which menu is actually being served then. If GT's menu still includes the filet and lamb chops, we will eat there again. If not, we will be going to Sabor, which we enjoyed on the second week of our back to back cruise in Feb. With the changes in Chops, we will not be eating there again.

I'm very disappointed to hear they have/are making changes (cheapening:() the GT menu as well as the Chops menu. We were definitely going to eat at Giovanni's Table on the Navigator next month, but now I will wait until we board to book so I can see the menu before we make a decision. The menu on the website is the old one, but I know RCI's IT department well enough to know that doesn't mean a thing!:rolleyes::D:rolleyes:

No, it's not. From what I could gather, most passengers were displeased with the changes, so if we all speak up, maybe RCI will listen. :)

They'll hear us when the restaurants are empty every night!

Thanks for the info. You just saved me $70+ by not eating at Chops on our cruise in May! More money to spend on drinks!

Same here.

Chops, and they charge for steaks? They replace baked potatoes with......tater tots?

PLEASE say it isn't so.

Hubs says no to Chops. It was one of our favorites.

Tater tots?????????

So sad to hear this news. We will be sailing on IOS in 3 weeks and have already reserved and paid in advance for 2 nights at Chops. If the new menu is there, we have no interest in going. My question is, if the menu is different, once I'm onboard, can I cancel and get credit back to my card or OBC, or are we STUCK dining where we won't be happy:-(.

Thanks

Steve

You can't get a BAKED POTATO at a Steakhouse?!?!?!?!?!? Seriously, how expensive can a baked potato be? And by the way, we've had tater tots in the Windjammer for breakfast. Really, Royal Caribbean?

We ate at Chops for the 1st time in January on Serenade. If these new menus go fleetwide, I can guarantee that we will not go back. I ordered the 10oz filet (and ate almost all of it) and my husband ate all of the 18oz Porterhouse. We also both ordered the crab cake appetizer. There really were not any other entrees we were interested in. There is no way we would pay $70 for the new menu. We are just as happy at Outback (with our baked potatoes, thank you very much) for $40.

Just of Oasis last Sat and Chops still had both size Filet steaks and baked potatoes as well as the usual sides.

Service and food in Chops was outstanding, Giovanni's felt more like a catering hall or local pizza parlor but food was excellent also.

I'm looking forward to the new Chops menu. My last few trips, the steak has been mediocre at best. The sides are good, but they're getting tired. I think it's a little odd that people are so eager to knock it before they try it.

As for the upcharge for some steaks: If there is a BETTER option on board, I am happy to pay for it. I wish there were MORE higher end dining options on every ship.

They'll hear us when the restaurants are empty every night!

Exactly my point.:)

So sad to hear this news. We will be sailing on IOS in 3 weeks and have already reserved and paid in advance for 2 nights at Chops. If the new menu is there, we have no interest in going. My question is, if the menu is different, once I'm onboard, can I cancel and get credit back to my card or OBC, or are we STUCK dining where we won't be happy:-(.

Thanks

Steve

Steve, if you decide to cancel, let the restaurant manager know, and the charge will go back to your seapass account, rather than the cc you charged it on. At least, that is what happened to us on another sailing.:)

I have no clue how Giovanni's and Chops can be on the ship, any ship!

Giovanni's was superb. Chops...should be renamed Golden Corral, or Luby's or Ryan's Steak House.

Service levels are adequate, not anything memorable. Steaks a cut above average, but average ain't than good.

Chef's Table: Warning if you are not into fine dining, do not do it! IF you are, it is a culinary treat! The wines, the food, the preparation, the presentation, the lively conversation: Literally fine dining at it best at sea.

Edited by TEXASMUNK

I'm looking forward to the new Chops menu. My last few trips, the steak has been mediocre at best. The sides are good, but they're getting tired. I think it's a little odd that people are so eager to knock it before they try it.

As for the upcharge for some steaks: If there is a BETTER option on board, I am happy to pay for it. I wish there were MORE higher end dining options on every ship.

I have tried it. I didn't like it, and neither did the other 5 at my table -- the menu choices were fewer, and the food quality itself was lacking. And I agree about the tater tots. They had cheese, and were larger than the ones in the WJ, but even the Chop's version was rather tasteless.

As for raising the cover charge from $30 to $35 and then upcharging for about 6 different cuts of steak (sorry, I'm guessing at the number) -- paying more for the food does not make it higher end.

By all means, go and make your own decision. :)