Chops and GT changing menus

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Oklahoma City
10,872 Posts
Joined Jan 2002
Just off NOS last Sunday. New menus are coming, though for our cruise GT was the same as usual. Don't know about Chops as we didn't eat there. However, menus displayed in the DL and CL showed changes that we did not like at all. First, GT's new menu has no filet and no lamb chops. There is a strip steak offered. New Chops menu, now that the fee is $35 pp, has no 10 oz. filet, no crab cake appetizer and no t-bone. There are a number of fish dishes and things such as short ribs. So for more money you get less expensive food!
SoCal
26,325 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
Originally posted by 39august
Just off NOS last Sunday. New menus are coming, though for our cruise GT was the same as usual. Don't know about Chops as we didn't eat there. However, menus displayed in the DL and CL showed changes that we did not like at all. First, GT's new menu has no filet and no lamb chops. There is a strip steak offered. New Chops menu, now that the fee is $35 pp, has no 10 oz. filet, no crab cake appetizer and no t-bone. There are a number of fish dishes and things such as short ribs. So for more money you get less expensive food!
We were also on that sailing. We did not like the new Chop's menu, neither the selections nor the food quality. I said as much on the e-survey. The final nail in the coffin was an upcharge for several of the steaks, in addition to the $35 cover charge. We won't go back.

While we did enjoy Giovanni's Table, I did not notice a menu change. But I try to choose pasta dishes, and I love the Osso Bucco, so I wouldn't have noticed no steak or lamb. I do seem to recall someone at our table ordering lamb.

We did enjoy Sabor, the new Mexican restaurant.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen

PINNACLE CLUB

Register for the Meet & Mingle:
https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first.
South Carolina
3,109 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
I have seen the new Chops menu and am not impressed. My favorites were the crab cake and baked potato, both gone. I do love those steaks though.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Kansas City Area
5,640 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Well that's rotten news. Guess we are going to have to be filling out a bunch of comment cards so they'll back that off and restore it. Have to at least try, they've reversed bad choices before.

travelgoddess1- Haven't run across you guys since Mariner out of Galveston. Hope all is well and good your way!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
When the "Reset Life" button gets pushed, better run with it, whether you chose it or not.

Video Clips from various cruises etc..

My Flickr Sets Snoop and enjoy.

Want to catch me off the board? Email
(But tell me on the board if you do, I don't check that one much)

RCI "Voyager of the Seas"-Eastern Caribbean 1/6/07
RCI "Enchantment of the Seas"-Western Caribbean 10/22/07
RCI "Serenade of the Seas"-Southern Caribbean 1/10/09
RCI "Mariner of the Seas"- Mexican Riviera 1/9/2011
RCI "Mariner of the Seas"- Western Caribbean 1/29/2012
RCI "Vision of the Seas"- Southern Caribbean 2/4/2013 Photo Review
RCI "Serenade of the Seas"- Western Caribbean 2/1/2014 Photo Review
RCI "Vision of the Seas"-Bermuda and Bahamas 6/9/2014 Photo Review
Celebrity "Celebrity Equinox"-Ultimate Caribbean 11/9/2015 Photo Review
RCI "Vision of the Seas"-Southern Caribbean January 11, 2016

Somebody put me back on the ship!
tx
94 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Thanks for the info. You just saved me $70+ by not eating at Chops on our cruise in May! More money to spend on drinks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

SoCal
26,325 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
Originally posted by Darkwolfe
Well that's rotten news. Guess we are going to have to be filling out a bunch of comment cards so they'll back that off and restore it. Have to at least try, they've reversed bad choices before.

travelgoddess1- Haven't run across you guys since Mariner out of Galveston. Hope all is well and good your way!
What a coincidence, as we just got off Navigator, also out of Galveston! I think that Galveston has become the home port for California, lol! (Don't tell the Texans that.)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen

PINNACLE CLUB

SoCal
26,325 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
Originally posted by ArbysSauce
Thanks for the info. You just saved me $70+ by not eating at Chops on our cruise in May! More money to spend on drinks!
We were with 2 other couples, and the feeling was unanimous. Even the new side dishes were lackluster. They have taken a high end steak house and turned it into a mediocre chain restaurant. JMO.

Raising the cover charge while simultaneously upcharging for several entrees was the last straw.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen

PINNACLE CLUB

Central Illinois
110,192 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by At Sea 4Ever
GT has changed once before. The menu they have now was not the original. Are you saying they changed it again?
Yes, it appears that Royal is experimenting with menu changes to Chops and Giovanni's on Navigator. I've not heard of any other ships making changes, yet.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
Northern NJ
1,482 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
Originally posted by clarea
Yes, it appears that Royal is experimenting with menu changes to Chops and Giovanni's on Navigator. I've not heard of any other ships making changes, yet.

We miss the fontina baked appetizer on the original menu... So good!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
SoCal
26,325 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
A passenger on Navigator said that the new menu in Chop's is also in effect on Oasis. They had been on in December.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen

PINNACLE CLUB

Central Illinois
110,192 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by travelgoddess1
A passenger on Navigator said that the new menu in Chop's is also in effect on Oasis. They had been on in December.
Thanks Karen. This is not good news.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
SoCal
26,325 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
Thanks Karen. This is not good news.
No, it's not. From what I could gather, most passengers were displeased with the changes, so if we all speak up, maybe RCI will listen.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen

PINNACLE CLUB

Oklahoma City
10,872 Posts
Joined Jan 2002
The "old" menu was used in GT's on our cruise, but the "new" one was displayed in the DL. We cruise NOS again May 4, and I will see which menu is actually being served then. If GT's menu still includes the filet and lamb chops, we will eat there again. If not, we will be going to Sabor, which we enjoyed on the second week of our back to back cruise in Feb. With the changes in Chops, we will not be eating there again.
Houston, TX USA
14,389 Posts
Joined Mar 2000
I'm very disappointed to hear they have/are making changes (cheapening) the GT menu as well as the Chops menu. We were definitely going to eat at Giovanni's Table on the Navigator next month, but now I will wait until we board to book so I can see the menu before we make a decision. The menu on the website is the old one, but I know RCI's IT department well enough to know that doesn't mean a thing!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cindy

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” ~ Mark Twain

Waiting Impatiently For:
Regal Princess Canada & New England 10/7/2017 * Royal Princess British Isles 6/30/18

206 Great Cruise Days & Counting:
HAL Westerdam Adriatic Dream 4/27/2017 * Liberty of the Seas 11/27/2016 * Liberty of the Seas 10/23/2016 * Celebrity Equinox Ultimate Caribbean 3/14/16 * Caribbean Princess 12/6/2015 * Serenade of the Seas 3/7/2015 * Oasis of the Seas 11/15/2014 * Celebrity Constellation Scandinavia & Russia 5/21/2014 * Navigator of the Seas 4/6/2014 * HAL Westerdam Alaska 9/14/2013 -- Millie Wine Cruise Refugees Cruised to Alaska! * Mariner of the Seas 4/14/2013 * HAL Noordam Southern Caribbean & 25th Anniversary 11/26/2012 * Mariner of the Seas 3/11/2012 * Carnival Dream 6/25/2011 * Carnival Conquest 3/13/2011 * Carnival Ecstasy 12/20/2010 * Carnival Conquest 3/14/2010 * Carnival Splendor 7/12/2009 * Voyager of the Seas 3/15/09 * Voyager of the Seas 3/16/2008 * Mariner of the Seas 6/24/2007 * Grand Princess 3/10/2007 * Explorer of the Seas 6/25/2006 * Grand Princess 3/11/2006 * Grand Princess 3/5/2005 * Rhapsody of the Seas 11/24/2002 * Sea Princess Alaska 6/17/2000 * Scotia Prince 6/1999 -- Test to see if we would get seasick...Obviously we didn't!
Houston, TX USA
14,389 Posts
Joined Mar 2000
Originally posted by travelgoddess1
No, it's not. From what I could gather, most passengers were displeased with the changes, so if we all speak up, maybe RCI will listen.
They'll hear us when the restaurants are empty every night!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cindy

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” ~ Mark Twain

Waiting Impatiently For:
Regal Princess Canada & New England 10/7/2017 * Royal Princess British Isles 6/30/18

206 Great Cruise Days & Counting:
HAL Westerdam Adriatic Dream 4/27/2017 * Liberty of the Seas 11/27/2016 * Liberty of the Seas 10/23/2016 * Celebrity Equinox Ultimate Caribbean 3/14/16 * Caribbean Princess 12/6/2015 * Serenade of the Seas 3/7/2015 * Oasis of the Seas 11/15/2014 * Celebrity Constellation Scandinavia & Russia 5/21/2014 * Navigator of the Seas 4/6/2014 * HAL Westerdam Alaska 9/14/2013 -- Millie Wine Cruise Refugees Cruised to Alaska! * Mariner of the Seas 4/14/2013 * HAL Noordam Southern Caribbean & 25th Anniversary 11/26/2012 * Mariner of the Seas 3/11/2012 * Carnival Dream 6/25/2011 * Carnival Conquest 3/13/2011 * Carnival Ecstasy 12/20/2010 * Carnival Conquest 3/14/2010 * Carnival Splendor 7/12/2009 * Voyager of the Seas 3/15/09 * Voyager of the Seas 3/16/2008 * Mariner of the Seas 6/24/2007 * Grand Princess 3/10/2007 * Explorer of the Seas 6/25/2006 * Grand Princess 3/11/2006 * Grand Princess 3/5/2005 * Rhapsody of the Seas 11/24/2002 * Sea Princess Alaska 6/17/2000 * Scotia Prince 6/1999 -- Test to see if we would get seasick...Obviously we didn't!
Michigan
6,800 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Originally posted by Cindy
They'll hear us when the restaurants are empty every night!
Yep. Sounds like our visits to Chops on Jewel in a few weeks will be our last. No way we're paying more for less.........
1,183 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by ArbysSauce

Same here.

Chops, and they charge for steaks? They replace baked potatoes with......tater tots?

PLEASE say it isn't so.

Hubs says no to Chops. It was one of our favorites.

Tater tots?????????
Originally from Orange County, CA now retired in Oxford, Mississippi
456 Posts
Joined May 2002
So sad to hear this news. We will be sailing on IOS in 3 weeks and have already reserved and paid in advance for 2 nights at Chops. If the new menu is there, we have no interest in going. My question is, if the menu is different, once I'm onboard, can I cancel and get credit back to my card or OBC, or are we STUCK dining where we won't be happy:-(.

Thanks

Steve
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Alabama
482 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
You can't get a BAKED POTATO at a Steakhouse?!?!?!?!?!? Seriously, how expensive can a baked potato be? And by the way, we've had tater tots in the Windjammer for breakfast. Really, Royal Caribbean?

We ate at Chops for the 1st time in January on Serenade. If these new menus go fleetwide, I can guarantee that we will not go back. I ordered the 10oz filet (and ate almost all of it) and my husband ate all of the 18oz Porterhouse. We also both ordered the crab cake appetizer. There really were not any other entrees we were interested in. There is no way we would pay $70 for the new menu. We are just as happy at Outback (with our baked potatoes, thank you very much) for $40.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Allison

Sailed: Carnival Elation 10/2012, Freedom of the Seas 12/2012, Jewel of the Seas 1/2013, Freedom of the Seas 10/2013, Serenade of the Seas 1/2014, Enchantment of the Seas 1/2014,
Radiance of the Seas 6/2014, Enchantment of the Seas 11/2014

Upcoming: Freedom of the Seas 12/2014, Enchantment of the Seas 1/2015, Adventure of the Seas 10/2015, Independence of the Seas 2/2016