Trying to be patient ... Double charged for cruise balance

Our final cruise payment was due on March 11th. We booked two cabins through a TA, so I called and gave her our credit card number. On Sunday, March 16th, we got two emails from our credit card company, with each one indicating that our card was charged over $5,000 (the sum of both cabins ... X2). So, we were double billed totaling over $10,000. I called the TA and she said she would take care of it. TODAY, my credit card shows two credits ... One for $1,720 and one for $23.40 ... ???????? It should be for over $5,000. I sent my TA an email and will call tomorrow if I don't hear back from her.

So, my fellow cruisers, how long do I wait before I call RCCL to try to fix this or can I even call them directly if I booked through a TA? Should I call my credit card company and advise them of the situation? My TA noted she was having a difficult time getting through and was on hold for long periods of time.

Help! Advice??? Please! My credit card went from paid off to ten grand! Ugh!

Edited by jhnsnfamily

Don't wait, call your credit card company and file a dispute. They will tell you it can take days for a credit, but insist, because you already talked to them and the credits were wrong.

If they can charge you immediately, they can credit you immediately.

Don't wait, call your credit card company and file a dispute. They will tell you it can take days for a credit, but insist, because you already talked to them and the credits were wrong.

Just a note that if you request the credit card company deny a charge from Royal, then Royal will never accept that credit card again.

RCI once charged me final payment for a cruise that was a year away. They claimed that they could not refund more than $500 or so, at a time. I ended up with a whole pile of credits to my VISA card. Took about two weeks to get all of my refund.

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That's exactly what not to do. Give the vender a chance to fix it. If they don't, then you call the card company.

I would also think if you file a dispute they could/may release your room as well. They could very well say "No problem, we will just cancel the reservation" when your credit card company contacts them and cancel the rooms...Not sure, but it could happen.

I wouldn't file a dispute right away. You have time to get this worked out before your credit card comes due, if it comes down to it and the bill is coming due and there has been no resolution, then I would file a dispute. Which would block you from having to pay that amount on your credit card without interest until the dispute is resolved and if it was a mistake on the TA's / RCCL side, then the charges go away.

Just a note that if you request the credit card company deny a charge from Royal, then Royal will never accept that credit card again.

I would love to see that one played out in public...refusing a valid ccard because someone exercises their legal rights under the FCBA.

I would warrant that's against VISA and MC rules as well.

If you went over your CC limit, call and advise them you are working it out with the merchant (to avoid fees), otherwise just be patient. Even after a refund is issued it will take several days to show up.

That's exactly what not to do. Give the vender a chance to fix it. If they don't, then you call the card company.

The TA made the charges NOT ROYAL. You don't wait when you are dealing with $5,000. It's been three days, I wouldn't give that TA more than a minute longer. The TA may be doing this intentionally because of financial troubles. For all you know that TA could be bankrupt now, then you really have a problem.

Denying a charge is way different than disputing one.

The other poster that only got $500 credits also should have disputed the charge with RCI.

If the credits go over a billing cycle the credit card company starts charging you interest if you don't make that payment. They don't have any idea you have a credit due unless you dispute the charge with the TA.

Don't wait!

Why would you say the TA made that charge? Do you know something we dont? Reputable agents don't ever process credit cards, the vendor does! In this case Royal. The op just has to check his account and if Royal charged his account he has no worries! If the agent did THEN he should dispute the charge

Sent from my ME301T using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the feedback ... Just a few comments based on your comments:

1) the charge came through from Royal ... Not the TA

2) the credits that are pending are from Royal ... One for $1720.00 and one for $23.40

3) my mom has been using this TA for 25 years and has been on about 15 cruises all booked through her ... The TA is legit and I believe this is Royal's issue (along with all the other website and customer service issues they've been having)

4) I am not over my credit limit even with the ten grand charges and I had just paid off the card with the March payment taking it to a zero balance before these charges appeared (gms5002)

I agree with Steveru621 that RCCL should be able to credit the entire amount. What willing292 said doesn't make sense because there's already a credit pending that is over $500.

What clarea said really worries me because we only have ONE credit card!

SeaUs ... I am going to give my TA another chance to contact RCCL on my behalf. But if it's not remedied by Friday, I am calling the credit card company. I am not fooling around with five grand!

I am just worried ... On our last cruise, my credit card was compromised and CLOSED while on the ship, which we discovered on day 2 after we could no longer charge anything to our account. I just don't want to have to worry about credit card issues again! Grrrrrrrrrrr

Edited by jhnsnfamily

Let me tell you something. I booked another cruise line today! I put $200 on the clients c.c. and when the confirmation came back it said $400! The bottom line is it was fixed quickly by the cruise line. Stuff happens on occasion and Royal will take care of your problem also!

Let me tell you something. I booked another cruise line today! I put $200 on the clients c.c. and when the confirmation came back it said $400! The bottom line is it was fixed quickly by the cruise line. Stuff happens on occasion and Royal will take care of your problem also!

I hope you are right tourlink99! It was obviously a double charge ... I am just puzzled about the two random credits that are pending.

I am just worried ... On our last cruise, my credit card was compromised and CLOSED while on the ship, which we discovered on day 2 after we could no longer charge anything to our account. I just don't want to have to worry about credit card issues again! Grrrrrrrrrrr

That's a good reason to always have a second card for emergencies.

I would love to see that one played out in public...refusing a valid ccard because someone exercises their legal rights under the FCBA.

I would warrant that's against VISA and MC rules as well.

You are wrong.

Royal can and does refuse to accept any credit card on which you have filed a dispute.

Been there, done that. Just got a new card. No big deal.

Why would you say the TA made that charge? Do you know something we dont? Reputable agents don't ever process credit cards, the vendor does! In this case Royal. The op just has to check his account and if Royal charged his account he has no worries! If the agent did THEN he should dispute the charge

I wouldn't say "no worries," given the current abominable condition of RCI's systems.

OP, RCI processes credits in weird and inexplicable amounts. I would give it another few days to see if any more credits trickle in. If not, then continue to buying your TA to get it fixed. It may take time to get through on the phones, but one ca always find something to do while on hold.

It seems like one would want to change that credit card right away just in case...rather than waiting for what might happen...I wonder if Royal would even notify you of their action...maybe something good to investigate.

Let's say this happens...and the OP continued with those events in this thread...certainly wouldn't look good for Royal...given that Royal might never accept that card again...it might be prudent to also talk directly to Royal and record the interaction from Royal in this thread. :eek:

I hope you are right tourlink99! It was obviously a double charge ... I am just puzzled about the two random credits that are pending.

Michelle...You seem to have the credit card demon working against you these days...

When I have a problem with a company I usually always want at least two things to happen. 1) Resolve the immediate problem 2)Find out precisely what happened to possibly allow me to avoid any future similar problems

Part of my investigation would be to determine if the problem came from the cruise agent or Royal. :confused:

The TA made the charges NOT ROYAL. You don't wait when you are dealing with $5,000. It's been three days, I wouldn't give that TA more than a minute longer. The TA may be doing this intentionally because of financial troubles. For all you know that TA could be bankrupt now, then you really have a problem.

The other poster that only got $500 credits also should have disputed the charge with RCI.

If the credits go over a billing cycle the credit card company starts charging you interest if you don't make that payment. They don't have any idea you have a credit due unless you dispute the charge with the TA.

Don't wait!

I'm thinking the second charge should be accompanied by different booking numbers as the first charge...also that all charges should show as having been made by Royal...only initiated by the agent...????

Don't wait!

The TA made the charges NOT ROYAL.

Reputable TA's do not make the charges, the cruiseline does.

You don't wait when you are dealing with $5,000. It's been three days, I wouldn't give that TA more than a minute longer. The TA may be doing this intentionally because of financial troubles.

Now you're making stuff up

For all you know that TA could be bankrupt now, then you really have a problem.

If the charge has RCL's name on it, who cares?

If the TA's name is on the charge, who cares. That's why you paid with a credit card, to be protected

You'll have to explain that statement to me. When you dispute a charge, you are denying it

If the credits go over a billing cycle the credit card company starts charging you interest if you don't make that payment.

Not if you end up disputing the charge they don't

Edited by SeaUs

Once again, this is a clear cruise line accounting error. There is NO WAY that Royal is not going to make good! Your agent you say has been around a long time! Have faith! They will lean on Royal to fix it! I am still amazed that some folks would just assume the agent was at fault based on NO CREDIBLE INFORMATION!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I know it's easy to say don't panic but it will get sorted. A couple of weeks ago I was making a credit card payment of $350 and accidentally put in the credit card number wrong when the system reset it reset my amount back to the balance and I did not realise. So I paid the balance of $8600 in error. It took two weeks but I got my money back. I don't like that it resets like that but appreciate RCI resolving this issue and my money did come back in two amounts $4000 and the balance. Hope it gets sorted quickly for you.