Wine Packages on NCL

mom4mom

I did a search for wine packages but everything I found was from 2010 and 2011. Does NCL currently offer wine packages? Where can I find that info? If we bring our own wine aboard, do they assess the $15 corkage fee on embarkation or when they open the wine? We will be sailing on the Pearl through the Panama Canal in 10/2015. Thanks for the info.

If you do a search ONLY using the term wine, lots will come up. They do offer some discount if you buy multiple bottles. Since you are not cruising for over a year, things may change.

Anyways, the $15 fee is paid when you board. Applies no matter where or who opens it. You cabin, dinner, bar, etc.

I did a search for wine packages but everything I found was from 2010 and 2011. Does NCL currently offer wine packages? Where can I find that info? If we bring our own wine aboard, do they assess the $15 corkage fee on embarkation or when they open the wine? We will be sailing on the Pearl through the Panama Canal in 10/2015. Thanks for the info.

The wine info probably hasn't changed much, the list will follow but we need to answer your questions first:

Does NCL currently offer wine packages? Yes, see list below

If we bring our own wine aboard, do they assess the $15 corkage fee on embarkation or when they open the wine? Yes, the corkage, which has nothing to do with opening the wine, only a name for the fee, will be assessed on embarkation with a table set up just after security as you walk on the ship. If bringing wine with corks, I'd recommend you bring your own corkscrew or request one at the nearest bar when embark.

The wine packages are the way we go, much easier to handle.

Here's the wine NCL offers:

VIVA VINO

by Norwegian Cruise Line

4 Bottles - $88

6 Bottles - $132

8 Bottles - $176

___ Beringer, Sparkling White Zinfandel – California

___ Lindemans, Bin 90 Moscato – Australia

___ Ruffino, Pinot Grigio – Delle Venezie, Italy

___ De Aureo Spirito, Sauvignon Blanc – Langeudoc, France

___ Woodbridge by Robert Mandavi, White Zinfandel – California

___ Alice White, Chardonnay – Southeastern Australia

___ Colores Del Sol, Malbec – Mandoza, Argentina

___ Ravenswood, “Zen of Zin” Zinfandel – California

___ Errazuriz, “Estate” Merlot – Colchagua Valley, Chile

___ Black Opal, Shiraz/Cabernet – Southern Australia

The Aficionado

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” category plus the following

4 Bottles - $98

6 Bottles - $146

8 Bottles - $196

___ Rosemont, Riesling – Southeastern Australia

___ Estancia, Pinot Grigio – California

___ Matua Valley, Sauvignon Blanc – Marlborough, New Zealand

___ Robert Mandavi Private Selection, Chardonnay – California

___ Estancia, Pinot Noir – Monterey, California

___ Rancho Zabaco, “Heritage Vines” Zinfandel – Sonoma, California

___ Sylvester Winery, “Kiara Reserve” Merlot - California

___ Avalon Cabernet Sauvignon – Napa Valley, California

The Connoisseur

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” and “Aficionado categories

plus the following

4 Bottles - $110

6 Bottles - $162

8 Bottles - $216

___ Dry Creek, Fume Blanc – Sonoma, California

___ Isabel Mandavi, Deep Rose’ – Napa Valley, California

___ Wild Horse, Chardonnay – Central Coast, California

___ Spellbound, Petite Sirah – California

___ Chareau St. Jean, Cabernet Sauvignon – California

A 15% gratuity will be added to your check for all beverages orders.

Prices are subject to change. Your check may reflect applicable VAT

for certain ports or itineraries

Thanks for the price list. It looks like what I had previously seen from the posts back in 2010. I know I can't order anything yet but just can't find anything at all regarding wine packages on the NCL site and I know you all are so knowledgeable that I figured I'd come to the source.

This may be a truly stupid question, but that is what boards are for ! I know NOTHING about wine, and I may buy the cheap package for my partner. so.....

1. When do you have to chose the wine ? (onboard I hope, cuz i don't have a clue, and this is suppose to be b-day gift)

2. Will they let you sample the wine before choosing the WHOLE bottle?

This may be a truly stupid question, but that is what boards are for ! I know NOTHING about wine, and I may buy the cheap package for my partner. so.....

1. When do you have to chose the wine ? (onboard I hope, cuz i don't have a clue, and this is suppose to be b-day gift)

The wine can be chosen after you board and if your partner knows what he likes, it could be quite simple, if not, either ask to taste a little wine or just buy it by the glass until he finds something he likes. There is a good variety of wines to choose from.

A lot of people enjoy a variety of wines so I'd recommend you do a little research. A few questions to ask your partner:

Does he like mainly red or white or both? - you probably already know this :)

Does he prefer sweet, light, fruity, dry, or rich taste? - check what he gets when he buys his own or when you're out for dinner

Good Luck

My DW and I took the list to total wine before we sailed. I think the whole list cost $45 and we sampled all the different wines and found the one's we liked most before boarding. We are not experts at all, but at least spending that much money for the package we did not want to drink something we did not like.

That is a brilliant idea! Thank you.

What I think I'm going to do is bring 3 of my own bottles, pay corkage, then buy a 4 bottle package on the ship. I love love love my vino :)

Cheers!

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

That is a brilliant idea! Thank you.

What I think I'm going to do is bring 3 of my own bottles, pay corkage, then buy a 4 bottle package on the ship. I love love love my vino :)

Cheers!

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Robin, how many bottles of wine do you think you could drink on a 7-day cruise? I was just looking at this too and it looks like, for a 7-day cruise, you'd have to purchase the 6 bottle package.... hate bursting bubbles but it would mean you wouldn't need to carry any on yourself :p

Viva Vino - 20% discount on total purchase*

There’s a perfect wine for every meal, and with the Viva Vino package, you can try them all. Join your fellow wine lovers and experience wines from different regions, countries and grapes, every evening.

* Available only for purchase on board. Package requirements depend on the length of the cruise. For example, a 7-day cruise will require a

pre-selection of 6 to 8 bottles.

Cheers,

Connie

I think I know the answer to this question but I'll ask it anyway, maybe someone has done this on the ship. What if I want 2 bottles from one cat. and 2 from another. Do they avg. the bottles...ie:2 bottles $22 for 2 from first cat. and 2 $27.50 for 2 from the third cat....total for 4 bottles $99.

I could drink 7 bottles. Yeah, my son said that I just should buy the 6 bottle package, but I have a special wine at home that I am quite fond of. So thought to do a little of both. Maybe try something new with the viva vino package, but still have my favorite from home for dinner in the dining room and evenings on the Waterfront and my balcony.

Thank you for the great suggestions, Connie :) and, as always, Cheers!

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Edited by meatball_nyc

I think I know the answer to this question but I'll ask it anyway, maybe someone has done this on the ship. What if I want 2 bottles from one cat. and 2 from another. Do they avg. the bottles...ie:2 bottles $22 for 2 from first cat. and 2 $27.50 for 2 from the third cat....total for 4 bottles $99.

Actually, you'd pay the price of the higher package, so instead of $132, so instead it would be $146

sorry, here's the list, it just makes it easier to understand. You'll see where it says at the top of the next package that it includes wine from the previous package.

VIVA VINO

by Norwegian Cruise Line

4 Bottles - $88

6 Bottles - $132

8 Bottles - $176

___ Beringer, Sparkling White Zinfandel – California

___ Lindemans, Bin 90 Moscato – Australia

___ Ruffino, Pinot Grigio – Delle Venezie, Italy

___ De Aureo Spirito, Sauvignon Blanc – Langeudoc, France

___ Woodbridge by Robert Mandavi, White Zinfandel – California

___ Alice White, Chardonnay – Southeastern Australia

___ Colores Del Sol, Malbec – Mandoza, Argentina

___ Ravenswood, “Zen of Zin” Zinfandel – California

___ Errazuriz, “Estate” Merlot – Colchagua Valley, Chile

___ Black Opal, Shiraz/Cabernet – Southern Australia

The Aficionado

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” category plus the following

4 Bottles - $98

6 Bottles - $146

8 Bottles - $196

___ Rosemont, Riesling – Southeastern Australia

___ Estancia, Pinot Grigio – California

___ Matua Valley, Sauvignon Blanc – Marlborough, New Zealand

___ Robert Mandavi Private Selection, Chardonnay – California

___ Estancia, Pinot Noir – Monterey, California

___ Rancho Zabaco, “Heritage Vines” Zinfandel – Sonoma, California

___ Sylvester Winery, “Kiara Reserve” Merlot - California

___ Avalon Cabernet Sauvignon – Napa Valley, California

The Connoisseur

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” and “Aficionado categories

plus the following

4 Bottles - $110

6 Bottles - $162

8 Bottles - $216

___ Dry Creek, Fume Blanc – Sonoma, California

___ Isabel Mandavi, Deep Rose’ – Napa Valley, California

___ Wild Horse, Chardonnay – Central Coast, California

___ Spellbound, Petite Sirah – California

___ Chareau St. Jean, Cabernet Sauvignon – California

A 15% gratuity will be added to your check for all beverages orders.

Prices are subject to change. Your check may reflect applicable VAT

for certain ports or itineraries

Edited by B6ConMe

I could drink 7 bottles. Yeah, my son said that I just should buy the 6 bottle package, but I have a special wine at home that I am quite fond of. So thought to do a little of both. Maybe try something new with the viva vino package, but still have my favorite from home for dinner in the dining room and evenings on the Waterfront and my balcony.

Thank you for the great suggestions, Connie :) and, as always, Cheers!

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

No worries Robin, still waiting to do that cruise with you and I and KC.... hmmm where is she these days... still trying to bring that fridge back home maybe.... :p

Sitting here with a glass of my favourite Reisling from my favourite winery as I wait for DH to return home... :D

Cheers,

C

The Viva Vivo Wine package deal consists of 750ml bottles unless specified otherwise.

A 750 ml bottle will provide 3 generous 8 ounce servings or 4 conservative 6 ounce servings.

A bottle per person should last at least two dining servings in that respect. YMMV !

7 day voyage get 4 bottles and celebrate comfortably "My Rule" !

Single serving by the glass loses the ambience of a wine steward popping/pulling the cork and offering a trial taste before dispensing !

The Viva Vino package is the better bang for the buck/looney/pound or Euro

considering the "Corks & Caps" package which is offered Unlimitedly by the

single glass(wine) or bottle(beer) but then the restrictive rules applies

about everyone in the same cabin having to purchase the C&C program.

No worries Robin, still waiting to do that cruise with you and I and KC.... hmmm where is she these days... still trying to bring that fridge back home maybe.... :p

Sitting here with a glass of my favourite Reisling from my favourite winery as I wait for DH to return home... :D

Cheers,

C

KC has been spied posting here lately. Hmmmm...would like a review of some sorts of how she managed with her fridge full of maple syrup in that "cabin" of hers.

You, me and KC on the same ship would be epic (no pun intended). We really should look into that :)

Well I hope you had more success opening your bottle of Reisling than that poor woman on the Gem just experienced :O

Cheers!

P.S. It's nice that you wait for your hubby to come home. I can't wait for mine to leave!

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Edited by meatball_nyc

KC has been spied posting here lately. Hmmmm...would like a review of some sorts of how she managed with her fridge full of maple syrup in that "cabin" of hers. You, me and KC on the same ship would be epic (no pun intended). We really should look into that :)

Well I hope you had more success opening your bottle of Reisling than that poor woman on the Gem just experienced :O

Cheers!

P.S. It's nice that you wait for your hubby to come home. I can't wait for mine to leave!

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Thanks Robin, I bet she had a wonderful cruise, she and thee are the kind of people I'd love to meet, maybe someday will, b/c her cup and I suspect yours, are always half full. And she was so looking forward to spending time with her DD, bet it was a great cruise but we really should have been there to help with that fridge, :eek:

You, me and KC on the same ship would be (an) epic Breakaway, :p pun definitely intended. :p

Is that what happened? OMG, I feel so badly for that poor woman, I worked in public schools for while, learned braille so I could teach blind children in our schools and it was so heart-breaking, knowing that if only we'd had the technology, in some cases, we could have prevented their blindness..... so sad.

As far as DH goes, although we're in our mid 60's, we've only been married about 18months, so he's still my hero... probably always will be... and I bet you feel the same... deep down... hope so anyway...

Anyway... cheers, have a glass of your favourite (incorrectly spelled favorite) wine and we'll toast each other.... cheers,

All the best,

Connie

If we bring our own wine aboard, do they assess the $15 corkage fee on embarkation or when they open the wine? Yes, the corkage, which has nothing to do with opening the wine, only a name for the fee, will be assessed on embarkation with a table set up just after security as you walk on the ship. If bringing wine with corks, I'd recommend you bring your own corkscrew or request one at the nearest bar when embark.

Do they x-ray the luggage, looking for metal, or what? Or is it an honor system? We are embarking in Barcelona & its our first time on NCL.

Do they x-ray the luggage, looking for metal, or what? Or is it an honor system? We are embarking in Barcelona & its our first time on NCL.

I don't know about Barcelona but in general your checked baggage is x-rayed

and then brought to your stateroom door. Your carry-on stuff is also x-rayed

and if security finds WMD (Weapons of Mass Destruction) they will of course

be confiscated I am talking about guns scuba knives pirate swords sabres brelly

sticks with hidden swords and curiously even at times Leatherman tools and

Swiss Army Knives - my God I think at times that they think you are a MacGyver

and are going to disassemble the ship piece by piece !

On another note they would be looking for that ultimate profit item "Alcohol"

being smuggled on board.

What happens when these items are discovered you will receive an invitation

to the "Naughty Room" for a discussion on the merits of your offense !

Wine simply pay the corkage fee and be off - other things will be either be

held until you leave the ship or perhaps disposed of with or without your consent

- depends ! More in likely Swiss Army Knives with cork screws will be

pass muster. As for drugs and medicine these should be in the original labeled

bottle from the pharmacy to prevent a misunderstanding. Some foreign countries

may be a real serious problem if the drugs are not in properly labeled containers !

Items of fruit and produce may also be a problem due to health and sanitation laws !

My first cruise on Princess at Vancouver - nothing held back a breeze

The second on Carnival at Long Beach - no problems here at all

The third on Carnival at Whittier/Anchorage - again no problems

The fourth on Carnival at San Juan - Up against the wall spread-em full body

cavity search - No seriously my Swiss Army Knife was too much for them but

they did overlook the 4 liters of alcohol I brought on board in my checked baggage

My fifth trip on Holland-America - another breeze with FREE wine no corkage

unlike the tight nit-wits of NCL

And the last trip on NCL trying to wring every last penny out of your wallet with items of liquor

I would just as soon have NCL and it's alcohol policy "What happens in my

stateroom {Las Vegas} stays in my stateroom" !

Realistically I don't think you are going to have any problems - - -

"After all you are not the Droids they are looking for " !

Anybody else want to chime in on NCL Barcelona check-in baggage x-raying ?

Understand that there is a concern for firearms and long knives but not so much

for anything else - except if the unscrupulous types can steal it !

A tip for those planning on purchasing the Wine package after they board, wait till the Ship leaves Port and you'll not be charged the Local Tax on top of the 15% Gratuity. Enjoy your cruise.

cheers...the Ump...:D

Edited by umpy10

Read post # 18. It was my response to a similar question about Barcelona.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2031802

cheers...the Ump...:D

Thanks! Yes, I just read that--good info. We cruised on RC last time out of Barcelona & I don't remember the duty free shop. Thanks for the info on waiting till we're out of port to purchase the wine pkg., too!

Jennifer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We sailed last week on EPIC and wanted to provide current info and our experience with the program. First, overview:

• There are three levels of wines and you can get 4/6/8 bottles. The selection list was the same as posted previously on this thread.
  • They do charge 15% on top of prices.
  • You can purchase it any time from any bar on the ship at any time. It does not have to be on day one – although we did purchase it then.
  • Very rudimentary process – they literally hand write little vouchers for each individual wine you purchase. I was carrying six little slips in my purse.
  • If you decide you want a different wine, it is easy to pick something else within your category. No need to stress too much over original list. Twice our friends were brought white wines when all they selected were red wines. They were sent back and properly replaced.
  • In any restaurant (or bar), give the waiter/bartender one of your slips and they bring the bottle back and serve it.
  • We purchased low level package. We tried two wines – the Merlot was a disappointment but the Zinfandel was very good. Our friends purchased the high level package and their selections were very good.

Recourse available if needed. What we did not expect was that MANY issues on the cruise would result in multiple bottles of complimentary wine. This is their automatic compensation for whatever goes awry – even to our friends who don’t drink. By day five, we could see there was NO WAY to consume our package of six bottles because of all the complimentary wine! At that point, we had only consumed two! Our friends only got through four of their six. We both were able to resolve the situation – although it did take LOTS of follow up and phone calls back and forth and waiting in the LONG line at guest services.

• We completely refunded our entire wine package (6 bottles) and were then re-charged for only the two that were consumed on a per bottle basis. Our little vouchers were turned back in. We were VERY relieved.
  • Our friends consumed four of their six and were able to have their package modified/downgraded to the four bottle package. This resulted in a credit to their account for the remaining two bottles.

Miscellaneous comments:

• We were very surprised that the only way for the ship to keep track of this wine package was to hand write little slips of paper.
  • We were very relieved to eventually get credit back but none of the complimentary bottles we received were very good.
  • Because of the wine package offering and the corkage fee applies for wine consumed in the cabin, we chose not to carry on our own bottles. Generally we have always done so on past cruises.
  • We NEVER saw a sommelier in the two main dining rooms or the three specialty restaurants we visited. Maybe we missed it but our table waiter handled all of our wine service at each venue.
  • If you get the wine package, you do have recourse if you want to change your selections.

Hope this gives you a better idea of the wine package.

Just to play Devil's Advocate here, my husband and I contemplated the wine package for our upcoming Getaway cruise. We did the math, and figured that as long as we averaged less than $13 per bottle, we would do better bringing our own over buying the second tier of 6 bottles. Just went to the store last night and picked up 6 bottles, mostly Cabernets, which are sorely lacking on the wine lists posted above, plus a favorite Pinot Noir and a bottle of bubbly. We averaged $11 per bottle, thanks to everything we bought being on sale and a handy 15% discount for buying 6 at a time. (A Kroger deal.)

Now, we're driving to the port, so we don't have to worry about flying with 6 bottles of wine. But for us, the math won out. Our savings on the wine will pay for a couple umbrella drinks when we board. :-)