Room service tipping

Since the added tips on bar bills, etc are based on a percentage of the item's cost and room service is still free, one should add a cash tip. In this day and time, I would personally give the server $2 as a minimum and add a dollar for each additional order up to a maximum of $5. These waiters depend on these tips for a large part of their income and we need not be chintzy.

Doc

Edited by DocF
lost my mind (train of thought)

We tip in cash - $2 for a pot of coffee in the morning. Be sure to write in the tip area that you sign that you paid cash. I made the mistake of not doing that and got charged a tip! I had them take it off.

As with most, we usually give $2 for a room service order. If it's larger, more complex, special request, or comes especially quick we will tip a few dollars more as appropriate. It always seems to be appreciated and it's a great service that we almost always utilize so I think it's fair.

We tip in cash - $2 for a pot of coffee in the morning. Be sure to write in the tip area that you sign that you paid cash. I made the mistake of not doing that and got charged a tip! I had them take it off.

Really? I thought the only automatic tips were added to your bar bill, not room service.

We have never signed anything when ordering room service.

We tip in cash , the amount depends on how large the order is, usually anywhere from $2 to $5.

I have always heard about $1 per person. If it is just coffee for the grown ups, $2. If it is a shore excursion day when I order breakfast for everyone, likely $4-5. We take a stack of ones because we order room service every day!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We tip $2-5 cash depending on size of the order. Keep in mind that if you write a tip amount on the slip you sign, that amount will be billed to your s&s card. First cruise we didn't realize that, so they got double tips (cash and charge). :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have only been on three cruises and I just checked all my receipts for all three and not once was I charged a tip for room service. I always gave three dolars for coffee and Danish in the morning, when I get BLT'S later on. This cruise in sept. on the pride my DBI and DSI will be with us so I will even it out to five dollars each time. So I plan on bringing a lot of fives. Happy Sailing.

$1-$2 dollars for normal orders, or per person. For larger orders when having a large gathering or more than the normal cabin occupants for drinks and snacks, etc, $5-10 depending on what's ordered and how many people.

I always give $2. Maybe I'm cheap. But I'm certainly not as cheap as those who don't tip at all! :p

I am cheap too I guess. I usually tip $2-$3 depending on what we get. We have never ordered a whole meal for all 3 of us though. If we did, maybe I would.

We usually order RS late at night and get the BLTs and cookies and milk and since it's just for the two of us, we tip $2 in cash.

The tip is not automatically added to our sign and sail account so you should tip the person who brings it.

Edited by Terre

Just a quick note. We usually always tip in cash for room service, but on our last cruise one morning I realized we didn't have any small bills. So I told hubby, no big deal, just write it on the receipt they always make you sign. They didn't have a receipt for us to sign that morning, I felt like such a heel. We will make sure we have cash from now on.

I am like so many others on this thread. I usually go with $30-40 in ones. My understanding is the staff member bringing the food volunteer (my guess in in the hope of earning extra cash). We tip $2-5 depending on the time of day and the size of the order.

I have seen the receipt thing both ways. If we order breakfast from the card you hang off the door, they have you sign the order form. If we call in an order, they have a cash register type receipt for us to sign.

Hope this helps.

$3 - $5 an order. Never place large orders; we can get that ourselves.

How about at the VIFP party? Please consider tipping the servers a little, too.

Thanks for the suggestion!! I have never thought about tipping at the VIFP party, sometimes we had problems being served but tipping will be an incentive for better service.