Tipping Room Service - Currency Question!

Hello!

Quick. Question as we're about to order currency for our upcoming Med a Cruise on Adventure.

When tipping room service, what currency do they prefer? Can we get away with Euros? Or should we take some dollars as well?

Many thanks in advance!

Hello!

Quick. Question as we're about to order currency for our upcoming Med a Cruise on Adventure.

When tipping room service, what currency do they prefer? Can we get away with Euros? Or should we take some dollars as well?

Many thanks in advance!

I would tip in Dollars or Euros.

This is a simple math question, and perception question.

How much tip? 2 dollars, or 2 Euro's. What is better. If I was room service, I would want 2 Euro.

Most people tip in a whole amount, and most people recommend 2 dollars for a tip. However, if you give 2 Euro instead, than you just gave 2.64 in tips.

So I do believe they care. What American will hand over 1.52 Euro's to equal $2.00 Just a point to ponder.

If you're tipping room service staff on a Med cruise, they will probably spend the money locally. So euros will be well-received as they can spend them when they go off the ship for a few hours. But I'm sure that they will also be happy with whatever tips they receive. We've just come back from an Eastern Mediterranean cruise and gave them 1 euro for a breakfast tray on the days that we had an early start and 2 euros for anything more substantial. We had prepaid our obligatory tips, so we thought that this was enough. And we Europeans aren't used to tipping in the same way that Americans are.

Thanks everyone! Glad euros will be fine as didn't really want to have to get Euros and Dollars!

Silly question, but how do we actually tip? Do we give it them when they deliver or do we leave it on the tray for when they come and collect it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone! Glad euros will be fine as didn't really want to have to get Euros and Dollars!

Silly question, but how do we actually tip? Do we give it them when they deliver or do we leave it on the tray for when they come and collect it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When they deliver.... that way you know the steward who delivered actually gets it :)

It may be a different person who picks up, so I would give it to them right after they deliver.

You can now add room service tipping to Seapass account. When they deliver tray they have you sign and there is a spot for gratuities, we still gave cash tips to person who delivered food.

Really? I haven't seen a slip to sign from room service unless they are delivering after midnight. Things must have changed in the last few months.

Edited by clarea

Really? I haven't seen a slip to sign from room service unless they are delivering after midnight. Things must have changed in the last few months.

This was on Grandeur of the Seas, they always asked us to sign and was never after midnight. This was also our first time having to sign for room service.

This was on Grandeur of the Seas, they always asked us to sign and was never after midnight. This was also our first time having to sign for room service.

It will be interesting to see if this policy goes fleetwide. Thanks for the info.

We used dollars w/ room service, but at the end of our cruise, we tipped the room steward in Nordic Crowns and Euros, since we didn't need either of them flying out of Denmark. I figured they'd be back where they could use the Nordic Crowns and Euros soon, and also return to the US in a few months anyway. If they know they're returning to the US, it encourages them to save.

Edited by knittinggirl

Staff working European / Mediterranean itineraries prefer euros so they can spend ashore without having to convert USD to Euro at RCI rates.

We had both on our Med cruise and we tipped n Euros. DH figured Euros were of more use to the staff while in Europe.
Both of you are forgetting that some of the staff send their entire earnings home to their family so they would have to covert twice. That being said if you have prepaid your tips I say tipping in any currency is fine.