Sighted from the Observation Deck- ESP Alaska

mandylooo

I recently returned from a Panama Canal cruise and I am a bit ashamed to admit than in my 8 years of cruising, I've never spent much time on the Observation Deck before!

This time we saw tons of sea turtles, tons of hammerheads, what we think was a great white, a whale, a manta ray, schools of flying fish, pufferfish, Marlins, and so much more!

It's now my favorite part of cruising- so I'm curious what other things you've seen in the water from the observation deck, and where (roughly) you were in the ocean?

We're considering an Alaskan trip next May (will be our second), but I'm wondering what- if anything- you can see in those colder waters from the observation deck. Your experiences will help us decide on a stateroom category... so please, speak up on what you've seen from the O.D. or your balcony in Alaska!

I'm going to cross post this topic, so sorry if it pops up for you a lot.

THANKS

We saw bears on our glacier cruising ten years ago on the Sapphire Princess. We were on the outdoor deck. People say you absolutely need a balcony, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary.

Our last cruise was the Hawaiian RT on Princess (actually our last three cruises) and when we got back on board in Lahaina, my hubby went to the outside deck by our cabin and said there were many whales playing near the ship. So again, no balcony cabin needed...we just went down the hall a few cabins, and out the door and voila, we were on the outside deck in back of the ship.

Flying fish are quite common alongside the ship. I grew up in Va. Beach, where dolphins cavort just beyond the breaking waves on a daily basis...so that's not a huge deal to me! Stingrays are pests in the Chesapeake Bay, as are hammerhead sharks...so those things....been there, done that. We saw whales on our way out of the Maui Airport, playing in a lagoon...

You really don't need a cruise to see this stuff!

The most I've seen cruising is sargasso in the gulf stream...and lots of cargo ships!

Our Alaska cruise taught us that a balcony is highly overrated. We spent all day, every day, on the top deck, watching the scenery and the occasional wildlife. In the 10 days we were aboard, we spent less than two hours on our balcony.

No one can predict what animals you might see. We saw whales, sea otters, eagles, and distant land animals.

It was a fabulous cruise. If we go there again, we will probably book an inside cabin. Be sure to take sunglasses, ballcap, warm jacket; binoculars are good to have.

We're considering an Alaskan trip next May (will be our second), but I'm wondering what- if anything- you can see in those colder waters from the observation deck. Your experiences will help us decide on a stateroom category... so please, speak up on what you've seen from the O.D. or your balcony in Alaska!

This last May we saw WHALES. Lots and lots of whales, humpbacks and orcas. And dolphins. And eagles.

This last trip to Alaska (my 7th Alaska cruise), I treated myself to a balcony (suite!) Before this, it has always been an inside or oceanview cabin for me. For me, the extra $$$ I spent for the balcony was an enormous waste of money, as I was always on the outside decks. My friends who were in the suite next to me, never left their balcony, pretty much. I saw SO much more than they did. I think I experienced being IN Alaska much more than they did.

But to each his/her own, y'know? I'm going back to oceanview cabins for Alaska :) others will say that without a balcony you shouldn't bother cruising. And for some, who have limited mobility, a balcony is probably a LOT easier than getting to a public deck to watch the scenery.

Over the years I have seen Alaska out of a port hole, OVs and balconies and I am inclined to agree that a balcony for Alaska is over rated. This is for several reasons not the least of which is the weather is often (as opposed to always) not conducive to sitting out on a balcony and secondly if you sit on your balcony you are at best only seeing half of the scenery that you are paying for. Most seasoned Alaska travelers will say you need to be out on deck and moving around to take it all in. Now if you think this may be your only trip to Alaska .... well then maybe .... but otherwise you may care to save your money and spend it on excursions.