Queen Mary 2 New York to Hamburg, 10/28 to 11/6

rafinmd

My bags are almost packed and I head off to New York tomorrow to be ready for QM2's arrival. I'll be staying at the Harbor House B&B (home of the NY Harbor Webcam) and hope to be up early Tuesday to watch BlueRiband's arrival in person.

As normal, for me QM2 is half experience and half transportation, and I'll be returning home on the 5306 ton Wind Star, quite a change of pace from QM2.

I'll be reporting daily here and the reports (along with some photos) will be on my usual blog at http://www.getawaysfrom21044.wordpress.com

Roy

Getaway day was quite hectic and exhausting. My alarm was set for 5AM and by 6 I was out the door although my train did not leave until afternoon. The first stop was my fire station where we serve public breakfasts 4 times a year. We had ample help today and I made some very minimal contributions to the effort but spent most of my time in my office wrapping up some last minute business. Serving started at 8 and I had a couple of snacks, checked in on one of our scouts who was helping bus tables (Thanks, Chris) and left about 9. I paused only briefly at home before making my way to the my corner bus stop and a 5-minute ride to my church.

The airport shuttle arrived just about precisely at 11:50 for the 25-minute transfer to BWI’s Amtrak station. My 1:32 train arrive about 15 minutes late and was unusually crowded in business class. The crowd thinned substantially as we arrived in Philadelphia, but the wifi never worked. I did accomplish some work offline an we arrived in New York right on time at 4:35.

My headquarters is the Harbor House Bed and breakfast on Staten Island. I had planned on using the transit system to get there but found it a bit more than I was prepared for. Things started out on the wrong foot as I miscopied the instructions and took the wrong subway line. I had to backtrack 2 stops on the A train and then it was a long block underground (8th ave to 7th ave) for the 1 line. The seats on the train are pretty narrow and I my backpack left only about 2 inches of seat to sit on. The ride itself was not terribly long but then the steps up to the street were difficult. On the way to the Staten Island Ferry I was stopped by police who wanted me to lower my backpack to allow dogs to sniff it. Fortunately, they consented to help me take the pack off and put it back on. The views from the ferry at sunset were wonderful, but I was a bit too tired to walk to a good photo point. I had planned on the S51 bus to the B&B but decided I’d reached my limit and opted for a cab. I reached the Harbor House about 7.

My room is nothing special but the views of the harbor are superb. New York is billed as the city that never sleeps but Staten Island doesn’t quite seem that way. A 20 minute walk about 8:30 found most business closed but I did find

some ice cream.

The temperatures were about 50-60 (10-15C). It was quite windy in New York but picture perfect in Maryland.

As today’s parting shot, I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2002. The symptoms cleared when I lost about 70 pounds. With a 48-pound backpack and a 22-pound daypack, those pounds quickly came back and I found simple walks quite difficult. How much is the actual effect of the weight and how much is advancing age is a bit of a mystery.

Roy

I have waited a long time but finally bought an Ipad last Friday. It has not been very useful yet but I did load an alarm clock app and set it for 5 this morning. While I have great views from my window it is still worth the effort to make the 2-minute walk to the shore where the NCL Gem was arriving. I made some tea in the B&B lobby and returned to my room as the Silver Whisper was arriving. The view from the window was fine but the glass seemed to reduce the clarity of the pictures.

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/hbrhouse.jpg

Harbor House breakfast is pretty simple but I did get toast and oatmeal and headed off for a ride and walk around New York. It was about a 10-minute ride on the S51 bus to the St. George ferry terminal where the Andrew J Barberi soon started loading passengers. This is the same ferry that was involved 2003 docking accident that cost several lives and a plaque stands on the lower level. It was still the tail end of rush hour and another boat pulled up to the dock as we prepared to leave. The views of the Statue of Liberty from the ferry were quite nice. Once on shore I took the subway up to Chambers street to start my walk. The Brooklyn Bridge was a great walk but it was extremely crowded today. The crowds thinned out a bit on the Brooklyn side, but traffic was still pretty heavy on a picture perfect day. I continued my walk to the Borough Hall area of Brooklyn and spent probably too much time exploring that area. My plans had been to arrive at QM2 by transit and wanted to check out the route, although today’s travels would be in reverse.

Brooklyn’s B61 bus starts in Borough Hall and runs past the dock an on to the south. My plans were to take the S51 and S53 buses across the Verizzano Bridge and then the R subway to 4th Street where I could pick up the B61. I got off the B61 bus where I planned to board for embarkation and discovered a problem. They are working on that subway entrance and disembarking passengers must climb stairs from the tunnel to an elevated track and then descend to the street, about 4-6 stories up and then 2-3 back down. It was a piece of cake today but will not work with 70 pounds on my back. A supervisor on the track suggested that I continue on the R to Jay Street and then take the B61 back to the pier. I’ll either do that or call a cab. I’m sure glad I did that dry run before hand.

Once I finished checking the station I took the R-line to 86th street where I got lunch and takeout for dinner at Panera (and decided it was too far from the station to stop for pre-embarkation lunch), and then took the S53 bus over to Staten Island. I’ve passed under the bridge many times but never until today crossed it. The views were occasionally great but mostly obstructed. It was then a pretty short transfer on the S51 to the Harbor House. It was a quiet evening mostly watching television.

I rose early again Tuesday. I had seen on Blue Riband’s log that QM2 was due under the Bridge at 5:15 and was there early. I was giving up hope when the ship appeared around the bend about 5:30.

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/1stqm2.jpg

I watched it until it came in front of me and then returned to the Harbor House and made a cup of tea.

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/lastqm2.jpg

When I returned to my room I found the Maasdam was approaching the bridge so it was a quick return to the shore. I watched the Maasdam pass under the bridge and then returned to my room. The window was clouding my picture so I took one final photo of the passing Maasdam from the B&B porch.

Today’s parting shot: Sometimes a surprise is nice but a little advance in-person checking can carry great benefits.

Roy

I can't say I would have ever thought of staying on Staten Island to watch the sea traffic. Thanks for the idea!

Best wishes for a speedy embarkation, smooth seas and enjoyable voyage.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Very nice that you were able to catch one of HAL's infrequent calls to New York. I was on Maasdam's MTL to FTL 2013 repo sailing (wonderful cruise; can't believe its been a year already) which however did not stop in NYC.

Anyway Roy, safe travels and thanks again for bringing us along. Too bad you do not get some credit for all the bookings your blogging surely inspires.

Charles

Thanks all (not using satellite time to read responses but will check my email digest offline)

I had inquired with the B&B manager about taxis, and I found the estimate a bit steep. He offered to check with his private driver, but did not get a response a couple hours later. My final packing had been about 56 pounds on the big bag and 16 on the small one. I left the house about 9:30, walking a long block to Bay Street. The S51 bus came in about 7 minutes, although not an easy wait as there was no place to rest. My second Verrazano crossing came after a somewhat longer wait, but resting on a barracade. It was a very short walk from the end of the S53 bus route to the subway, and a bench to sit on at the platform. My planning for the revised route was a bit incomplete but the man next to me on the bench looked at his smartphone and told me the stop before mine (Jay Street) was Dekalb. There was ample seating on the car, but it seems like people seem to sit on the seat obstructing the route map before any other seats. As it was, this car had announcements and displays of what the next stop would be at each stop. I wish more trains and buses had that feature. At Jay Street there was an escalator to the entrance gates but the 20 or so steps from there were quite tough. I can’t imagine how (or if) I could have coped with the steps at my planned disembarkation station. The 200-yard walk to the B61 bus should have been easy but the climb to the street had taken it’s toll. At the bus stop a set of steps with wide end caps provided a place to rest. It was only a quarter mile from Bay Street and Prospect to the terminal, but it seemed like a very long walk. What a relief to give that big bag to the porters. I know it’s over the recommendation but after carrying it myself for 2 hours and half a mile I don’t really feel guilty. With the small bag I walked back out to the deli by the bus stop and bought some diet soda. I had a small travel pack and I put my carryon stuff in it and the soda in the smaller pack, which I left with the porters. It’s amazing how much shorter that walk between the terminal and the bus stop felt when I was 50 pounds lighter. While tiring, the journey was better than it might have been as we had picture perfect weather.

As World Club Platinum I have priority checkin and was through quickly. I was onboard about 12:30. Cunard official policy is that the Britannia Restaurant is closed for lunch on embarkation day, but Cunard seems to be stringing many cruises together (I think my voyage is also sold as a Southampton-Canada-Southampton combination), and many embarkations are port days for somebody onboard. I walked by Britannia and it was open, and I enjoyed a chicken dish and Canyon Ranch spice cake. When I went up to my room both of my bags were sitting on the bed. Most of the afternoon was spent unpacking, complete somewhat before the muster drill. My station for the 4PM drill was in the gym, perhaps the longest time I will spend there. This is the first time I’ve had a balcony on a QM2 crossing; the restricted balcony has a lifeboat in front of about half of my veranda, but still should be quite nice, weather permitting.

I had expected a 5PM sailaway but early gossip was that it was likely to be 5:30. I had planned on sailaway from my balcony and then going out on deck. I am booked on the Maasdam in January and wanted to watch it from the decks as we would both leave at 5. With us leaving Red Hook and Maasdam leaving Manhattan I expected we would be out first. As I watched from my balcony I could see the Silver Whisper heading out to sea. Captain Kevin Oprey came on the PA about 5:20 with “This is the Captain from the bridge” and then nothing more. I still haven’t figured out what that was about. The lines were pulled in about 5:25 and we eased away from the dock. As I left my room and went down to Promenade Deck starboard, the Maasdam was just on the other side of Governors Island. It was clearly going to be ahead of us and got further ahead as we were setting off. We did not pick up speed and seemed to be heading for Manhattan when we finally pulled up close to the Statue of Liberty, blew the horn several times, and swivelled to a Southbound direction. I had planned to be out on deck until we passed the Verrazano Bridge but it was getting toward the deadline for dinner.

I am at Table 44, an 8-top with 2 other Americans (Galveston), 2 Canadians (between Regina and Montmarte), and 3 Scotts. The 3 Americans are going to Hamburg, the rest disembarking in Southampton, I enjoyed a steak my first night onboard.

The evening entertainment was several selections by the Royal Cunard Singers and Dancers and Comedian Jeff Stevenson. Stevenson was excellent with totally clean material that was very funny. He even made a reference to the Captain’s strange announcement. On the way back to my cabin after the show it appeared that our perfect sailaway weather had deteriorated and it seemed to be raining and quite windy. I had planned on some writing before bed but pretty much dozed off for a couple of hours and did nothing else.

Today’s parting shot is inspired by the Silver Whisper. My first voyages on both QM2 (May) and Silver Whisper (Nov) were in 2007. I tend to prefer smaller ships. My time on that QM2 voyage I felt the ship was too big and very impersonal. Only 1 “crew” person ever referenced me by name, not a Cunard employee but a crew member from another company who happened to be on vacation. I really felt more like a widgit than a real person, and might never have returned to Cunard but for a 2008 crossing that fit well into other plans and while not my favorite ship was still better than flying (and every subsequent Cunard Voyage has been better than that first one). When I sailed Silver Whisper 6 months later everybody knew my name but it seemed to end at that. My preferences and desires seemed to be irrelevant and I felt like a wigit with a name. I still prefer smaller but as in many things rules should not be considered iron clad, every situation is different.

Roy

Bon voyage, Roy. Your unique take on preparing for and experiencing this crossing is as entertaining as it is informative. Thank you.

Thanks, that was quite an adventure, and thanks Cap'n, Artemas, and Lady Hudson. QM2 looks quite nice, although she could use some paint near the water line. Always something to do on a ship. Charles, I eagerly look forward to my time on Maasdam in January and August.

When the alarm went off at 5 the display indicated force 5 winds which I think is pretty close to a gale, and the wind had been howling through my balcony door all night. I went down to deck 7 thinking a walk would be impossible but things were not bad at all. I think the winds died down a bit towards dawn and QM2 handles what wind better than any other ship. At the start of my walk one of the hatches to the bow area was shut but even that was open by dawn. I finished my 5 miles just after 7, with mostly clear skies but a thin layer of clouds at the horizon. I found that I had way overdressed with my vest and rain jacket; sweating but not quite badly enough to return to my room. As I started my walk we were 40 miles South of Nantucket.

Entertainment Director Paul O’Loughlin concluded his morning show with a video featuring designer Stephen Payne on the design considerations that made QM2 the ship it is today, part of a 10th anniversary celebration. I also stopped down at the tour office and put my name in for the behind the scenes tour. It seems to me on QE I was listed as soon as I signed up but on QM2 it’s apparently not a first come first served affair and I will be notified later if accepted.

Based on the pre-voyage materials I was expecting a rather light Cunard Insights schedule with just 3 speakers listed in advance but that’s not how it turned out. We have 6 speakers onboard with 3 presentations today. Historian Peter Durrans started things off at 10 with “The Age of Discovery (1400-1600)” covering the great sea expeditions of Columbus, Magellan, and others and the empires of England, Spain, and Portugal. Joe Johnson followed at 11 with presented “The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show”. The Beatles seems to be a theme of this cruise with their first American signing being about 50 years ago. I had planned on a lot of reading this trip with 2 new Kindle Books and one physical volume. I had planned to do most of my reading on the Wind Star; it looks like ALL my reading will be done there.

We would normally lose 4 hours on an eastbound transatlantic but there will only be 4 this time since daylight savings time is ending. We started that off with an hour adjustment at noon. I find the noon changes far less stressful than losing several hours of sleep on a crossing.

The Cruise Critic Meet and Greet was held at 2PM in the Commodore club. About a dozen people responded on the roll call but only 4 were present.

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/meetgreet.jpg

Present were (l-r) ScripChick, Brigettom, and CruzinTom. Despite the small turnout we had a pleasant hour’s conversation. I met with UK immigration after the meeting, not my day but a very short line with the process completed in under 5 minutes. Forigners going to Hamburg had to leave their passports with the purser for German authorities. Today’s final Cunard Insights presentation was at 3:30, Retired RAF pilot Andy Wyatt presenting on “The Red Arrows” (The RAF equivalent to the US Blue Angels). The 3:30 lectures provide a bit of a challenge with the 3:30-4:30 afternoon tea time, but I did just make it down for a final cup of tea.

This was the first of 3 formal nights of the voyage. My results seem inconsistent, but I did attempt to pack light for this trip. My only jacket is a Travelsmith Black Blazer which matches nicely with a pair of their slacks. Before buying a true tux a few years ago it was my only travel ware and that’s what I have this cruise. Paired with a vest and an appropriate shirt I don’t think the results are too bad:

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/formal.jpg

I learned at dinner that the Canadian couple is a fellow Cruise Critic member (handle CruzinKanuck). Judy expressed her regrets but they had attended a matinee concert by pianist Halida Dinova, an unfortunate consequence of just too much to do on QM2.

The main evening entertainment was a concert by “Beatles Experience”, 4 young men who very well reproduced the music of the Beatles. After seeing the tapes of their Ed Sullivan debut I was amazed at how the ambiance of their show really recreated what had happened almost a half century ago. I’m not at all a late night person, but the Black and White Ball was held in the Queens Room.

Today’s parting shot starts with Joe Johnson’s talk. He mentioned that the Beatles’ first TV experience was a bit accidental. Ed Sullivan was changing flights in Heathrow when the Beatles passed through and Ed was curious about the commotion. Based on that he signed them to a series of TV appearances without really knowing anything about them. The results of that leap of faith are history. This seems a bit inconsistent with my parting shot of 2 days ago; I guess the take away is that planning ahead or acting on instinct is really a combination of judgement and luck.

Roy

When I went out on deck shortly after 5 we were 200 miles east of Sydney NS, and 400 miles west of Titanic’s remains. It was pretty overcast and windier than yesterday but still not bad for my 5-mile (14 lap) walk which ended a little after 7.

I think Chef’s Galley breakfast has changed since I was last on QM2. I think they used to have a grill station where waffles and french toast were grilled but this year it seems to be all “healthy items”. I didn’t find the grill items elsewhere in the buffet (just pancakes). I’ve liked taking my Kings Court food back to my cabin to enjoy on my balcony. It’s a pleasure I could do well without, especially with QM2's generous public deck space, but it’s nice while I have it.

It was another busy day for Cunard Insights, although to me, the first day was better. It started off at 10 with Yvor Davis on “John, Paul, George, Ringo, and me. Davis was a newspaper correspondent who covered the Beatles first USA tour but today seemed more interested in promoting his book. At 11 Jonathan Lynn presented a look at “What is Comedy”. At his noon update Captain Oprey reported we have traveled 501 nautical miles today and have 2255 to go. We will enter the Grand Banks about 16:00 and may encounter fog. We will pass about 200 miles north of the Titanic remains about 23:00. I again took my Kings Court lunch to the veranda; soon after finishing I noticed a deckhand by my lifeboat, and a couple minutes later the hatch was open. I’ve been inside tenders often but rarely if ever look into a lifeboat.

Something new to me with Cunard is the Transatlantic Olympic Games. They kicked off at 2:15 by the Pavilion Pool and shuffleboard was the first event. I had time for some reading but then a late afternoon conflict. A ipod class came at the same time as a lecture on Serial Killers by personality profiler Diane Simpson. The class turned out quite relevant to beginning to deal with my 6-day old ipad. When I returned from the class a confirmation of my Behind the Scenes tour (Saturday afternoon) was on my door.

It was a bit of a rush from the class end to the 5:15 Captain’s Welcome party. I think it’s the first time I’ve sailed with Captain Oprey and although I’ve sailed with Paul O’Laughlin before. Captain Oprey explained that at sailaway he was starting to describe our unusual sailaway route when the PA failed. He predicted seas of 6 meters later in the cruise, just enough to show what an ocean liner can do. He then went on to introduce the senior staff and list the guest nationalities. The major ones were 95 Canadians, 239 Germans, 642 Americans, and 1,303 Brits. After our formal dinner I skipped the evening entertainment (I’ve seen the Royal Caribbean Singers & Dancers in Crazy in Love before) to watch Diane Simpson’s talk on TV. By bedtime the temperature had dropped about 10 degrees F to 55.

As today’s parting shot, may all your treats be wholesome and tasty, and all your tricks be fun and harmless.

Roy

Thanks Roy, I'm a little confused as the lifeboats are what are used as tenders. :) Maybe you just had a different view of the interior.
In an emergency the tenders are used as lifeboats; but the lifeboats are never used as tenders.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDWRR6cLYrdMMuuExrH60tF7wXvem5a_hKHt0n5-KKMUi_F-odimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAGEP4_wrGYKfYSTGQPtapcHKG1Kp9bT_-mzpk0Sto_mYB7Eze9Q

Thanks all, and correct pmb1.

We had the Beatles Experience onboard QE. They played the hits of the early years (which were my favorites).

Enjoying your blog, Roy, and your pictures. That Travelsmith jacket looks really good!

Thank you. If I may, there’s a bit of a story that goes with the jacket. In 2003 I planned a trip around the world. The object was always ships across the Atlantic and Pacific, and trains across the continents, although I considered many options for the sea crossings. I had always planned on one crossing by freighter and the other by cruise ship. I looked at Seabourn and QM2 for the Atlantic and the Crystal Harmony for the Pacific. Each of those options required a jacket for the formal nights, and I was really working hard to cut down on luggage. Seabourne had actually told me that if I didn’t have the proper attire my only option was room service. The Travelsmith jacket was the perfect solution. My final plan was a freighter (Canmar Courage) across the Atlantic, ferry and train combination across Siberia to Beijing, the Crystal Harmony to Vancouver, and VIArail/Amtrak home. As it turned out 2003 was the year of SARS, my Pacific cruise was cancelled (I flew from Bejing to Vancouver), and I carried this jacket around the world without ever wearing it. I did pick up the trip the next year in Bejing and completed it (a somewhat different route), and packed as if I was still on the original trip. I bought a more traditional tux in 2010, but for 7 years this jacket was my standard attire for formal nights on Cunard, Crystal, and Silversea, and I still treasure it.

Into every trip a little rain must fall, and it started today. The morning was cloudy (just a little blotch of pink at sunrise), and cooler and winder than past days but still a fine morning for my 5-mile walk. By late morning it got foggier with a little bit of drizzle, and it stayed damp for most of the day. I went down to the Britannia Restaurant for a waffle breakfast (and learned they could be ordered in the buffet line), but seldom if ever went out to my balcony. The weather even got to the ship a little bit, nothing major but I can feel myself getting a bit lighter and then heavier by A stairway. When I went on deck for my walk we were 250 miles east of St. Johns Newfoundland.

It was a good day inside the ship. The morning presentations were Andy Wyatt with “The Red Arrows-A personal perspective” followed by Diane Simpson with “Music in Mind”-A look at the relationship between music and our brains. She showed a fascinating video of a hair follicle in the inner ear (our sound recepticle) and how it does a little “dance” in response to the beat of music. Between presentations I popped in on the future cruise consultant and learned that most 2016 itineraries will not be announced until about May. That’s sad because my schedule for 2016 is already getting pretty full.

We moved the clocks forward another hour at noon (and will again Saturday), meaning only 1 additional hour until Southampton. While I found some free time Thursday afternoon, there was little opportunity today. Pianist Halida Dinova gave her second concert (my first) at 2 in the Royal Court Theater. Dinova has been an organist in the past and has transcribed a few of her organ favorites (and at least one of mine as well) for piano. Bach’s Toccata and Fugue in D minor brought the program to a rousing conclusion. The day’s final Cunard Insights presentation was Joe Johnson with a behind the scenes look at the filming of “A Hard Day’s Night”. There was just time after the talk for the very tail end of Afternoon Tea in the Queens Room.

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/dinova2.pdf

The evening entertainment was West End Vocalist Philip Browne. There was a Halloween Party in the Queens Room, a little past my bedtime. I did walk through just as the party was starting. I didn’t really see any costumes, but several ladies sported pumpkin orange dresses.

I almost got today’s parting shot backwards. For those in North America, remember to turn your clocks back Saturday night. I’ve been turning my clock forward, I adjust for Daylight Standard by moving the clock 4 times instead of 5 on this crossing.

Roy

There was quite a bit of movement on the ship overnight, but things calmed down slightly by morning. The morning temperature was about 60F (15C), but the wind had gotten stronger with a biting chill. The deck chairs were all tied together and secured to the railings, something I can’t remember seeing before on QM2. With the Behind the Scenes tour coming up, I decided to cut my morning walk back to 3 miles (9 laps). The day was very overcast and I saw nothing of the sun until about an hour after sunrise.

I had picked this as a good day for laundry. One of the 2 washers on deck 8 is broken and I decided to take a chance on the deck 10 laundry. A steward came by and unlocked the minutes before the 7:30 official opening, and I never saw anybody else come into the room. I moved the wash to the dryer just after 8, and everything was done about 9.

There were 2 morning Cunard Insights programs. Historian Peter Durrans started things off at 10 with “English Explorers”, giving the story of Sir Francis Drake and Captain James Cook. He was followed by Jonathan Lynn with “Inside ‘Yes Minister’”. I’m sure the content was more meaningful to the Brits present but the video clips were extremely funny.

We lost another hour at noon today. I know the Captain indicated our present weather would pretty much continue but did not catch the full report. With only an hour between Lynn’s speech and the Behind the Scenes tour not a lot happened besides lunch.

The tour met in Connections at 1:50, and lasted about 3 ½ hours. Photography was NOT allowed on the tour.

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/scenestour.pdf

Our first stations were the mooring and anchor spaces, decks 2 and 3 directly above the bulbous bow, where we really felt the pitching of the ship. Next was the medical center. They do not do surgery on the ship but the Doctor reported a lot of success with antibiotics and pain killers where surgery must be deferred. He showed us the drawers for the morgue. As we walked through the crew spaces the cabins we passed were all labeled “1" or “2" persons, although I’m sure there are spaces where more people room together. We visited the marshaling area where luggage is held for offloading, the trash room, and engine control room. We did not visit the engine but did see photos of the diesel and turbine power plants. We got a demonstration of firefighting gear and the thermal imaging cameras (the thing that looked unfamiliar to me were the helmets which incorporated both thermal imaging lenses and the breathing face masks; I haven’t seen such comprehensive helmets in land based firefighting. We then visited the food storage and galley, backstage at the Royal Court Theater, and finally the bridge, where we were on the port wing and looked down at the view the Captain gets when docking the ship. I’m sure QM2 was built with the most advanced systems in 2004 but some of the latest touches are missing, most notably dynamic positioning, where a computer can hold the ship stationary where an anchor cannot be used. We were given handouts in the galley and in the engine control room.

Engine control room:

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/bostech.pdf

Galley:

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/bosgalley.pdf

It was 5:30 when the tour ended, so it was pretty close to straight to dinner. The World Club party was held in the Queens Room between seatings. We have 152 Diamond WC members on board, 259 Platinum, and 578 Gold. The top cruiser on board has 660 nights with Cunard.

The evening entertainment was an encore of Beatles Experience. For this show they had an additional player on keyboards. I had planned to skip the show and watch a rerun of Diane Simpson’s afternoon talk on “Mindfulness”, but it was clear from the progress in the first 2 lectures that Diane would not come on until after the show.

As today’s parting shot, Halloween has it’s origins as “The eve of All Saints Day”. In my faith tradition on the following Sunday we remember our loved ones who have died the past year. I lost a beloved cousin this year, a lady a little older than me who lived outside Montreal but for many years spent her winters in Florida near the place where my parents retired. Anita, we miss you.

Roy