Norwegian Star Dry Dock

DreamingBig1

We are interested in the Norwegian Star out of Tampa. I read an article that Norwegian Star is going into dry dock in 2015.

Does anybody who follows NCL have any specifics with this?

The Star will dry dock in Portland, Oregon on or about March 3rd. It will stay for about two weeks while they do engine and hull repair/updates. They will also move Moderno to deck 12 across from Cagney's and install O'sheehans in it and Blue Lagoons place. They will replace carpets and polish stuff as well.

The trip to and from Portland will not carry passengers.

The Star will dry dock in Portland, Oregon on or about March 3rd. It will stay for about two weeks while they do engine and hull repair/updates. They will also move Moderno to deck 12 across from Cagney's and install O'sheehans in it and Blue Lagoons place. They will replace carpets and polish stuff as well.

Love my butler - thanks!!

Puzzled ? Cagney's is on Deck 13 ! Deck 12 is where the Buffet and the

Topsiders Bar Pool area !

Things are not clicking into place.

Did you mean that the Star Bar would be become O'Sheehans and the back

corner of Cagney's (Port side forward) would become the new place for the

Moderno ? Move the curtain divider aside in the Star Bar to reveal an

extension of Cagney's that is what I am picturing.

Love and Don't - Would you happen to know the name of the late night dance/disco venue on the Star?

and

Where on the ship can you smoke cigars?

Thanks!

I can help with your questions.

Late night activities are usually held in the Spinnaker on deck 7 aft.

Cigar smoking is at the Bier Garten above deck 13 forward.

I believe O'Sheehans will take the space now occupied by the Blue Lagoon and Moderno on deck 8 (both sides)

The Moderno will be in the space that is now an extension of Cagneys behind the Star Bar on deck 13.

Edited by swedish weave

Sounds like some exciting developments! The Bier Garten incidentally sounds like my type of place.

Thanks again. I appreciate everybody's input. I want to give NCL a try, having only been on DCL, RCI and Celebrity. NCL seems to have some really cool ideas, and venues.

Yeah, my mistake. I meant deck 13 not deck 12. The Star Bar will be Moderno.

We'll be in an OS on the first sailing out of drydock, a 5 day MR out of LA on Mar 17. I will give a complete review upon our return.

I look forward to your review of the post dry docked Star. We are sailing in May and in addition to the expanded Blue Lagoon, new location for Moderno and tech updates in the photo gallery and iconcierge, we are curious about the atrium makeover and theater refurbishment recent panama canal cruisers heard about from the hotel director.

Have a terrific cruise.

Hey Robert! I sure hope they plan on changing those windows in the Family Suites! :eek: Speaking of family suites....waiting on your review while on the Dawn in your SD. :)

We'll be in an OS on the first sailing out of drydock, a 5 day MR out of LA on Mar 17. I will give a complete review upon our return.

We'll be on the April 5 so I'm looking forward to your review!

We're traveling with family who will be in an OS like you and I'm really curious to see whether they update the color scheme in those.

Everybody who shared the info with me helped. We booked a cruise on the Star for next December. Thanks!:)

Getting a free ultimate beverage package didn't hurt either.

Yay! Good for you! Congratulations and enjoy your cruise...you will love the Star...she is the perfect size ship IMO. I am not much into major crowds and she never felt crowded.

We'll be on the April 5 so I'm looking forward to your review!

We're traveling with family who will be in an OS like you and I'm really curious to see whether they update the color scheme in those.

This pic is on the NCL site, looks like they are revealing the new color scheme here:

star_modal_str_owners1.jpg

We were on the Star for 2 weeks over thanksgiving thru Panama Canal....we live in Portland, so all the crew were all talking about being in our town for 2 weeks. We plan to go see her in the docks....Will be pretty cool to see her sailing up the Columbia River 😁

Yay! Good for you! Congratulations and enjoy your cruise...you will love the Star...she is the perfect size ship IMO. I am not much into major crowds and she never felt crowded.

Thank you! We typically like the bigger ships, but we really like this itinerary.

I wonder if this will impact the Star drydock if it continues ??

ILWU workers walk off job at container terminal in Portland

Thursday, January 29, 2015

ICTSI Oregon, Inc., which operates Terminal 6, the container terminal in the Port of Portland, said the ILWU has escalated actions against its facility, "far beyond ‎what other West Coast ports are experiencing." Michael Garone, an attorney for the company, issued a statement that said on Tuesday, "the ILWU ordered a 12-hour work stoppage ‎commencing at 7:00 a.m." On Wednesday, it said ILWU members "worked during the morning, but walked off ‎the job without notice a...

I wonder if this will impact the Star drydock if it continues ??

ILWU workers walk off job at container terminal in Portland

Thursday, January 29, 2015

ICTSI Oregon, Inc., which operates Terminal 6, the container terminal in the Port of Portland, said the ILWU has escalated actions against its facility, "far beyond ‎what other West Coast ports are experiencing." Michael Garone, an attorney for the company, issued a statement that said on Tuesday, "the ILWU ordered a 12-hour work stoppage ‎commencing at 7:00 a.m." On Wednesday, it said ILWU members "worked during the morning, but walked off ‎the job without notice a...

Probably not. Since the last passenger leg will end in LA, there will be no need for longshoremen in Portland. The shipyard uses their own employees to dock ships, and they do not need to be longshoremen. Typically, facilities that have privately owned docks (shipyards, oil refineries) don't use longshoremen. It is only publicly owned docks that have the ILU or ILWU longshoremen.