Live from the Royal Princess, January 28- February 7: The Move-Over Boomerang Cruise

TracieABD

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

One more "go to sleep"...

Einstein said (though there is a great deal of evidence that this quote may be mis-attributed), and I paraphrase liberally, that the operational definition of insanity is to repeat the same mistake and expect different results.

Thus begins the tale of my latest cruise.

This is actually the third in a series of un-sailed cruises with my mother. The first was a 12 day Mediterranean on the NCL Spirit. We were to fly to Barcelona on Halloween night to board the ship on November 2, 2013. While on my way home from work, my mother fell on her hip in her garage. I rushed to her house to do a quick assessment. I asked her to stand and she could not. Her solution was to take some a little medicine and press onward. I refused to go until we could get an x-ray. I drove to our local Urgent Care, explained the urgency of our situation (... yea, a flight that departed in 5 hours) and asked them to x-ray my mom's hip. All the while, she kept insisting, "I can go. I can make it. This is no big deal". The verdict? A fractured hip requiring surgical intervention. So, no cruise for us. We did, however, get to spend Halloween night in a very large and crowded emergency room (did I mention it was a full moon AND a Friday night????) Oh! the horror!

Score: Tracie= 0 Vacation Gremlins= 1

Our next cruise was to commence on January 13, 2015 on the Sapphire Princess. We booked this cruise almost a year ago. The itinerary was Singapore to Jakarta/ Bali/ Komodo/ Lombok to Singapore. We were to leave Charlotte on Friday night, January 9. Truth be told, I was really worried about my mom on a 23 hour flight to Singapore. Now, I have to say, she is a real trouper and had all sorts of pharmaceutical solutions to survive the trip, but I was still really worried. On the Thursday night before we were to leave, our TA called and shared with us what I shall refer to as the "mother of all move-over offers". I discussed with my mom, and we decided to take the deal. While I was a bit disappointed, I also was equally relieved.

Cumulative Score: Tracie= 0 Vacation Gremlins= 2 (though, I was not quite as disappointed about this one)

Which leads me to my present circumstances: We are scheduled to board the Royal Princess tomorrow, January 28. We booked this cruise on the same day we took the move-over offer, as we just needed a little hope. Because I had to take so much time off work with my mom and the hip situation, we opted to do the really, really, really stupid thing... fly in the morning of the cruise. On most days, this would probably not be problematic; Charlotte to Fort Lauderdale is pretty darn routine, right???? Nope. Not for us. Now we have SNOWPOCALYPSE*** SNOWMAGEDDON*** A veritable SNOW-TASTROPHE!

The good news? Our flight is still on. Nothing at Charlotte-Douglas has been canceled- so we may actually make it to Florida... (provided no one falls, the weather behaves, the airlines cooperate).

I guess I am posting this here, as I am trying to change my negative cruising mojo. So I would appreciate a collective outpouring of crossed-fingers, lucky rabbit's feet (was that really a lucky rabbit????), four leaf clovers, and any other superstitious voodoo you feel like committing to turning our cruising fortune around.

In turn, I will post a "live from". I will attempt to make it somewhat interesting. Also, I promise to answer any questions you might have. I would love to insert pictures, but I just can't seem to get it figured out. I am hoping for a little assistance on ship.

Thank you to anyone who had enough time (or no chores) and made it to the end of this diatribe. I will post more tomorrow!

Tracie-Lynn:):)

Edited by TracieABD

Good luck from Australia, break a leg (not literally). North Carolina is my daughters favourite place in the states. She was a camp leader near Raleigh.

sent from Bolthead's Samsung 3

Edited by Bolthead

Good luck from Australia, break a leg (not literally). North Carolina is my daughters favourite place in the states. She was a camp leader near Raleigh.

sent from Bolthead's Samsung 3

Yea... No. Not break a leg. Did we learn nothing from un-sailed cruise #1? ;)

NC is an amazing place to visit and live. Your daughter has amazing taste! (Blame it on the gene pool!):)

Looks like clear skies for tomorrow's departure...:D

From an ex-North Carolina resident (17 years in Salisbury, worked in Matthews and Pineville)....

Have a GREAT cruise!

:D

That makes us practically neighbors... I live in Mint Hill. Thanks, Dave. :)

Edited by TracieABD

TracieABD, We arrived in Ft Lauderdale today and anxious to board the Royal tomorrow. I have my fingers & toes crossed for you and your Mom. See you at the meet and greet! Get rid of that negative Mojo cause "Every little things gonna be alright." :D

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

One more "go to sleep"...

Einstein said (though there is a great deal of evidence that this quote may be mis-attributed), and I paraphrase liberally, that the operational definition of insanity is to repeat the same mistake and expect different results.

Thus begins the tale of my latest cruise.

This is actually the third in a series of un-sailed cruises with my mother. The first was a 12 day Mediterranean on the NCL Spirit. We were to fly to Barcelona on Halloween night to board the ship on November 2, 2013. While on my way home from work, my mother fell on her hip in her garage. I rushed to her house to do a quick assessment. I asked her to stand and she could not. Her solution was to take some a little medicine and press onward. I refused to go until we could get an x-ray. I drove to our local Urgent Care, explained the urgency of our situation (... yea, a flight that departed in 5 hours) and asked them to x-ray my mom's hip. All the while, she kept insisting, "I can go. I can make it. This is no big deal". The verdict? A fractured hip requiring surgical intervention. So, no cruise for us. We did, however, get to spend Halloween night in a very large and crowded emergency room (did I mention it was a full moon AND a Friday night????) Oh! the horror!

Score: Tracie= 0 Vacation Gremlins= 1

Our next cruise was to commence on January 13, 2015 on the Sapphire Princess. We booked this cruise almost a year ago. The itinerary was Singapore to Jakarta/ Bali/ Komodo/ Lombok to Singapore. We were to leave Charlotte on Friday night, January 9. Truth be told, I was really worried about my mom on a 23 hour flight to Singapore. Now, I have to say, she is a real trouper and had all sorts of pharmaceutical solutions to survive the trip, but I was still really worried. On the Thursday night before we were to leave, our TA called and shared with us what I shall refer to as the "mother of all move-over offers". I discussed with my mom, and we decided to take the deal. While I was a bit disappointed, I also was equally relieved.

Cumulative Score: Tracie= 0 Vacation Gremlins= 2 (though, I was not quite as disappointed about this one)

Which leads me to my present circumstances: We are scheduled to board the Royal Princess tomorrow, January 28. We booked this cruise on the same day we took the move-over offer, as we just needed a little hope. Because I had to take so much time off work with my mom and the hip situation, we opted to do the really, really, really stupid thing... fly in the morning of the cruise. On most days, this would probably not be problematic; Charlotte to Fort Lauderdale is pretty darn routine, right???? Nope. Not for us. Now we have SNOWPOCALYPSE*** SNOWMAGEDDON*** A veritable SNOW-TASTROPHE!

The good news? Our flight is still on. Nothing at Charlotte-Douglas has been canceled- so we may actually make it to Florida... (provided no one falls, the weather behaves, the airlines cooperate).

I guess I am posting this here, as I am trying to change my negative cruising mojo. So I would appreciate a collective outpouring of crossed-fingers, lucky rabbit's feet (was that really a lucky rabbit????), four leaf clovers, and any other superstitious voodoo you feel like committing to turning our cruising fortune around.

In turn, I will post a "live from". I will attempt to make it somewhat interesting. Also, I promise to answer any questions you might have. I would love to insert pictures, but I just can't seem to get it figured out. I am hoping for a little assistance on ship.

Thank you to anyone who had enough time (or no chores) and made it to the end of this diatribe. I will post more tomorrow!

Tracie-Lynn:):)

Fingers, toes, legs and arms crossed-well, after I finish typing-that you make your flight and your ship. :mad:

TracieABD, We arrived in Ft Lauderdale today and anxious to board the Royal tomorrow. I have my fingers & toes crossed for you and your Mom. See you at the meet and greet! Get rid of that negative Mojo cause "Every little things gonna be alright." :D

Thanks! We have lots and lots of hope! :)

That makes us practically neighbors... I live in Mint Hill. Thanks, Dave. :)

Fingers crossed and good thoughts sent from another almost neighbor--we live in Davidon. We sailed on the Regal in November and had a fabulous cruise; also flew in the day of the cruise, which even with a direct short flight from Charlotte made me very nervous. Hope the cruise gods are smiling on you tomorrow and that you have a wonderful cruise. Will be following your Live thread.

Hppd ;icj!

Wait, this works better if I don't cross my fingers: Good luck! I have every confidence you'll get there safe, sound, and timely. (*cough* but, you know, keep a list of alternate flights and airline phone numbers handy, just in case *cough*)

Can't wait to read along!