Two weeks in Europe, carry on only, what I packed/wore

cruise kitty

Packing in a carry on for Europe

Hi, I know this is a topic that comes up very frequently, so I'm posting a little photo review of what I packed & some outfits I wore

I was allowed two carry on items & a personal bag, I ended up with my usual roller carry on bag, a small duffle bag that bungies onto the the carry on, & my trusty leather backpack

I did quite a bit of public transport on this trip, so I needed to really keep the weight of my items down, because I booked a bit last minute, & was trying to fit in a visit to my daughter in France, & needed to work around her schedule, I ended up with a bit of an odd itinerary...

This was in early May, & the weather where I would be was cool with bits of rain (London & Bordeaux)

so here's what I packed:

Had to bring a pillow & blanket, as part of my visit I stayed with my daughter in Bordeaux,

I wrapped them up tight & tied with ribbon, they were great to have on the long flights to & from Los Angeles

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

I really lucked out with no seat mate & was able to sleep on the flight, especially after lots of champagne :)

here's my suitcase, & really ugly duffle bag, but it serves it's purpose:

IMG_1753.jpg

All my extra items, my cross body bag, hat, umbrella, little travel fan (plugs into iPhone , awesome), around the neck pouch for money & passport, kindle, iPhone, chargers rollers for hair (did not bring blowdryer, just used hotel ones)

IMG_1162.jpg

All my toiletries, makeup, hairbrush, etc. went in this:

IMG_1160.jpg

Clothing:

Bottoms, 1 pair skinny jeans, two pairs black leggings, 1 pair black capri leggings, 1 pair navy eyelet shorts (ended up being too cool to wear the shorts)

IMG_1155.jpg

Tops:

3 long tank tops, two black, 1 grey, two v neck tee shirts 1 white, 1 black, (they are both long enough to cover my bottom & slightly fitted.

IMG_1152.jpg

everything gets rolled & then put in packing bags:

IMG_1153.jpg

My undies, bras, socks (only take sports bras) brought two men's tank top style undershirts for sleeping in

IMG_1161.jpg

When I was in Bordeaux, I had access to a laundry room, in London, I sent out my laundry, even though I repeated clothing (a lot) it was always clean.

I took 3 lightweight cargo type jackets, 1 lightweight rain jacket, & 1 linen blazer

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

IMG_1151.jpg

Three pairs of shoes: boots, flats, & my rainbow sandals.... I actually wore those in London one day, I had overdone it the day before, walking 14 hours straight, so my feet needed a break

IMG_1141.jpg

Scarves, these were all packed rolled up in a small packing bag;

IMG_1156.jpg

Between the tee shirts, jackets, bottoms & scarves, every single thing could mix & match, so I didn't feel I was wearing the same thing over & over, (even though I was)

IMG_1150.jpg

IMG_1145.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

Me, getting ready to do the totally touristy Platform 9 3/4 photo (Got lots of funny looks from the kids in line, because there's nothing weird about a middle age woman by herself doing that, right?) Wearing, linen jacket, long tank top, black leggings, & Griffindore scarf (I almost chose Slytherin, but Griffindore colors matched my outfit

DSCN3352.jpg

I also brought my slippers,

IMG_1165.jpg

& of course, my camera:

IMG_1166.jpg

My 3 1 1 bag held a refillable travel bottle of my shampoo, conditioner, & toothpaste... I had my deodorant in my back pack & lipgloss, mascara, eye cream in my makeup bag, it was never an issue, but I could have switched it out very easily if asked too.

There wasn't anything that I didn't bring that I needed, my travel sized baby powder & toothpaste ran out, & I just bought some more, I was fine with the hotels blowdryer, & the last 4 days of my trip, I threw out my undies after wearing them (brought a few older pairs with this in mind)

This was my first solo trip overseas, & I felt safe & comfortable the whole time, took trains, trams, buses, no problem with my bags... I got white a few really lucky breaks, & on my flight to & from Bordeaux I was assigned the exit row, awesome, even on such a short flight.

Anyhow, I just wanted to show, it's very possible to pack light, & still have a bit of style, & some comforts of home. :)

Thanks for posting these pictures! DH and I are doing a week in London followed by a TA from Barcelona in Oct 2016 and I am always interested in light packing ideas. The footwear worries me because we walk many miles every day as tourists in NYC, for example. I need footwear that can handle that without being gym shoes. Thanks again for the great pictures!

I need footwear that can handle that without being gym shoes.

Shoes like that exist. There have been many threads around here (and also on Flyertalk if you're ever over there) on comfortable non-gym shoes. I also walk miles a day when traveling and do not pack gym shoes. Since we all have different feet & different fashion styles, there isn't a "best" option, but there are lots of brands to try!

Nice photos of reality. My reality looks different but I too am able to do it. Right now figuring out my 20" international carry-on only for a business trip in March;) There will be no curlers in my bag...

Edited by Hoyaheel

Thanks for posting these pictures! DH and I are doing a week in London followed by a TA from Barcelona in Oct 2016 and I am always interested in light packing ideas. The footwear worries me because we walk many miles every day as tourists in NYC, for example. I need footwear that can handle that without being gym shoes. Thanks again for the great pictures!

Hi, the boots I wore were Sofft brand, super comfortable, (for me) but we do all have different feet, I can walk 10 hours in my rainbow sandals & be ok...

I have a pair of Ecco Yarrah shoes that I normally take, but this time I really wanted to cut down, & I didn't miss them.

<my snip>

Nice photos of reality. My reality looks different but I too am able to do it. Right now figuring out my 20" international carry-on only for a business trip in March;) There will be no curlers in my bag...

I know, the curlers, right? I thought about not taking them, but honestly, it's my one hair thing, I don't use a flat iron, hair spray, mouse, gel, or any of that stuff, or tons of make up, but those curlers get my hair done fast.

I tried to come up with a good balance of not feeling deprived, & being able to handle my stuff, & was pretty satisfied.

For a business trip it seems like it would be tougher... but I know you're definitely more experienced in that than I am. :)

Brilliant! And inspiring. I'm attempting something like this in the summer, so this is a great help.

Hi, thanks, glad to help. I've seen lots of lists, but I was trying to show what I actually wore & packed, & that it's very doable. :)

Have a great trip. :)

I know, the curlers, right? I thought about not taking them, but honestly, it's my one hair thing, I don't use a flat iron, hair spray, mouse, gel, or any of that stuff, or tons of make up, but those curlers get my hair done fast.

I tried to come up with a good balance of not feeling deprived, & being able to handle my stuff, & was pretty satisfied.

For a business trip it seems like it would be tougher... but I know you're definitely more experienced in that than I am. :)

That's why everyone's reality is different - but seeing actual photos is so helpful for people who want to try but just haven't yet. And the thing is - it's almost never a life or death situation, so you just figure it out as you go along, and each time you pack better for your own situation! And if I have to put my hair up in a twist because I don't bring a dryer and there isn't one where I'm staying, I'll be fine ;-)

My business trip shouldn't be too hard, actually, because it's a short trip - just a couple of days of conferences in Shanghai - and I'm in a business casual environment, so I think a ponte dress and my Eileen Fisher pants with a couple different tops & cardigans should get me through the few days of the trip....

Good job on the packing! And, welcome to the world of traveling solo. Having that ability to handle everything yourself opens up a whole new world of possibilities. It is rather liberating to know that I can take any form of transportation, not worry about taking my stuff up stairs, don't have to limit my hotels/apartments to those close to a port/train station/not have to call a taxi to get me and my bags anywhere. I can take one checked bag free on my airline of choice, but I don't want to be saddled with a large bag just because it's free. There are times that I do check my "carryon" so that I don't have to fight the bin hogs on the plane and I can guarantee myself free space under my seat. My "personal item" will hold all that I need for the flight and anything I don't want to check. Easy Peasy ;-)

I am impressed that you got those rollers and that fan in the bag!

Edited by slidergirl

Thanks so much for posting this thread! I'm learning to cut back on clothing purchases that I later regret and also sticking with items that all go together. All I need now are a few jackets for layering.

You're an inspiration!

Thanks, when I shop, I don't buy something if it won't work with what I already have, & if I find a basic item that I like, I'll buy 2 or 3 of it, sometimes more, makes getting dressed much easier. :)

That's why everyone's reality is different - but seeing actual photos is so helpful for people who want to try but just haven't yet. And the thing is - it's almost never a life or death situation, so you just figure it out as you go along, and each time you pack better for your own situation! And if I have to put my hair up in a twist because I don't bring a dryer and there isn't one where I'm staying, I'll be fine ;-)

My business trip shouldn't be too hard, actually, because it's a short trip - just a couple of days of conferences in Shanghai - and I'm in a business casual environment, so I think a ponte dress and my Eileen Fisher pants with a couple different tops & cardigans should get me through the few days of the trip....

China, wow, DH is on his way to Mainland China for his first time next month, but I'm not going... he's only going for 3 days, & the price of the ticket for me didn't seem worth it, I'd love to go someday though. Have a great trip. :)

Good job on the packing! And, welcome to the world of traveling solo. Having that ability to handle everything yourself opens up a whole new world of possibilities. It is rather liberating to know that I can take any form of transportation, not worry about taking my stuff up stairs, don't have to limit my hotels/apartments to those close to a port/train station/not have to call a taxi to get me and my bags anywhere. I can take one checked bag free on my airline of choice, but I don't want to be saddled with a large bag just because it's free. There are times that I do check my "carryon" so that I don't have to fight the bin hogs on the plane and I can guarantee myself free space under my seat. My "personal item" will hold all that I need for the flight and anything I don't want to check. Easy Peasy ;-)

I am impressed that you got those rollers and that fan in the bag!

Hi, our last few trips I've always packed light, but there was always the back up of knowing DH could lug something for me, esp. on/off trains... buses are even worse...

& yes, this trip was very eye opening & liberating, yes, I love traveling with DH, but guess what? I love traveling with just me too ;)

For every woman who would like to travel, but worries because she doesn't have a travel partner, I say go for it, it opens up a new world. :)

Thank you for sharing this....the scarves look great for changing up the look. I'm going with a similar black, gray, and white theme, but instead of the jackets, I will use button, v-neck sweaters.

Wish I could wear a scarf, but I have a short, thickish neck, and they just don't look good on me. Maybe if I let them just hang down instead of tying them, kinda like Jon Voight, it would look okay!

Thanks for posting your list and the photos - I am a committed light packer, and always love to see new ideas.:)

What airline did you fly and were you in economy or BC/FC? I've not seen a carrier that allows three items to be carried on - usually it's a 20-22" bag, with weight limits ranging from 8kg to 50 pounds, plus a personal item.

Thank you so much for this post.....especially your pictures.:) You have inspired me to even pack lighter than I did for our last trip to Europe. We may skip formal nights too on this next cruise and just eat the buffet or in a speciality restaurant. Port days are so intensive and exhausting anyway and all I want to do is hit the sack and get some sleep before my next 8 hour shore excursion:) It was fun the first time getting dressed up & hubby wearing a tux....but not so fun lugging the stuff around post cruise to Madrid:(.

Edited by HLGW60

Thanks for posting your list and the photos - I am a committed light packer, and always love to see new ideas.:)

What airline did you fly and were you in economy or BC/FC? I've not seen a carrier that allows three items to be carried on - usually it's a 20-22" bag, with weight limits ranging from 8kg to 50 pounds, plus a personal item.

HI, Air New Zealand, premium economy long haul, when I went thru check in I was prepared to check my orange carry on, but they said no problem, :) One thing I discovered on this trip was that everyone is super nice to females traveling alone!

Also when I fly Air France PE, they allow two carry ons & a personal...

Thank you so much for this post.....especially your pictures.:) You have inspired me to even pack lighter than I did for our last trip to Europe. We may skip formal nights too on this next cruise and just eat the buffet or in a speciality restaurant. Port days are so intensive and exhausting anyway and all I want to do is hit the sack and get some sleep before my next 8 hour shore excursion:) It was fun the first time getting dressed up & hubby wearing a tux....but not so fun lugging the stuff around post cruise to Madrid:(.

Hi, yes, we skip formal nights too, I could easily pack a black cocktail dress, it would probably roll into a quart sized baggie, but the shoes... no way I'm dragging extra shoes to wear for a couple of hours... we book AQ on Celebrity because there's no formal night in Blu.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing your packing photos! I've not come across anyone doing this before. I really got to see how this could be done as the clothing you packed is the same as lots of my own clothing. Problem for me is...none of the airlines I've flown allow you to take three carry-on items. Then again, I wouldn't be taking rollers (thank goodness for my natural curly hair), nor a fan. I've really been wanting to try this and now from seeing your outfits...I think I really might be able to do it.

Please all you other light packers out there...next time you travel...please take photos of your outfits. It's so very helpful and I feel really encouraged now to give this light packing thing a try for other than just a 2 or 3 day trip.

Let's see more pictures!!!!!:D